Master List of currently available 4k HDR titles, will be updated often. - Page 885 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 29376Likes

post #26521 of 26726 Old 06-15-2019, 12:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1592 Post(s)
Liked: 961
I attended the Value Electronics shootout. All the judges praised the Aquaman UHD transfer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LG65C9, XBOX ONE X, PS4PRO, APPLE 4K, SONY STRDN1070, TAKE CLASSIC 5.1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #26522 of 26726 Old 06-15-2019, 12:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked: 1766
Quote:
Originally Posted by helvetica bold View Post
I attended the Value Electronics shootout. All the judges praised the Aquaman UHD transfer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I honestly wasn't as impressed as most people seem to be. While it's bright and colorful, it doesn't have a lot of dynamic range. It's like they took what was already in the SDR version and cranked it up to brighter levels, which imo, isn't really what HDR is about. HDR is about expanding it. So the overall brightness in most cases should not change too much, but it should allow greater contrast between the midtones and highlights, and I just didn't get much of that with this movie.

Living Room: Sony XBR65X930D, Sony HTCT780, Base PS4, Philips BDP7501
Bedroom: LG OLED55C6P, Denon AVR-X1300W (5.1.2), PS4 Pro, Philips BDP7502, AV.io 4K
Check out my video game movie edits
post #26523 of 26726 Old 06-15-2019, 02:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1825 Post(s)
Liked: 1090
Quote:
Originally Posted by morphinapg View Post
I honestly wasn't as impressed as most people seem to be. While it's bright and colorful, it doesn't have a lot of dynamic range. It's like they took what was already in the SDR version and cranked it up to brighter levels, which imo, isn't really what HDR is about. HDR is about expanding it. So the overall brightness in most cases should not change too much, but it should allow greater contrast between the midtones and highlights, and I just didn't get much of that with this movie.
When I initially watched I thought it wasn't impressive visually. Then someone made a comment about his display clipping white below 4000 nits. I ran the white clipping pattern on a Sony UHD disc for HDR. Reduced the contrast control setting until each shade was clearly not blending.

Popped in Aquaman, to find that my display was completely clipping out clouds, color detail, and other small highlights. Its made all of my movies a lot more impressive visually, even Star Wars TLJ.

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #26524 of 26726 Old 06-15-2019, 02:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisplayCalNoob View Post
When I initially watched I thought it wasn't impressive visually. Then someone made a comment about his display clipping white below 4000 nits. I ran the white clipping pattern on a Sony UHD disc for HDR. Reduced the contrast control setting until each shade was clearly not blending.

Popped in Aquaman, to find that my display was completely clipping out clouds, color detail, and other small highlights. Its made all of my movies a lot more impressive visually, even Star Wars TLJ.

I can do that on my Sony but it does considerably darken the image.

The contrast setting on my LG doesn't work in the same way and simply darkens everything, but the LG by default tonemaps in a way that preserves details up to 4000 nits. Also, I was watching in Dolby Vision, so all of that is accounted for in DV better than any other setting could.

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk
DrTim likes this.

Bedroom: LG OLED55C6P, Denon AVR-X1300W (5.1.2), PS4 Pro, Philips BDP7502, AV.io 4K
post #26525 of 26726 Old 06-15-2019, 02:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I can do that on my Sony but it does considerably darken the image.

The contrast setting on my LG doesn't work in the same way and simply darkens everything, but the LG by default tonemaps in a way that preserves details up to 4000 nits. Also, I was watching in Dolby Vision, so all of that is accounted for in DV better than any other setting could.

Thats the thing that troubled me, I was watching Aquaman in DV. Most of my films are in DV, through some reading, I learned that DV dynamic metadata and tone mapping will not correct white clipping. Its set properly at the factory, or you use a pattern like I did.

DV ahould maintain the APL from the HDR master. What is your OLED Light setting

post #26526 of 26726 Old 06-15-2019, 02:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thats the thing that troubled me, I was watching Aquaman in DV. Most of my films are in DV, through some reading, I learned that DV dynamic metadata and tone mapping will not correct white clipping. Its set properly at the factory, or you use a pattern like I did.

DV ahould maintain the APL from the HDR master. What is your OLED Light setting

There should be no clipping in DV. Each scene has its own metadata including MaxCLL, and the tonemapping will take into account of that as long as the mastering monitor didn't clip those details.

OLED Light is the default 50 which is correct for DV.

post #26527 of 26726 Old 06-15-2019, 03:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
There should be no clipping in DV. Each scene has its own metadata including MaxCLL, and the tonemapping will take into account of that as long as the mastering monitor didn't clip those details.

OLED Light is the default 50 which is correct for DV.

True, DV doesn't clip, it rolls off. The EOTF is seperate from contrast control.

post #26528 of 26726 Old 06-15-2019, 09:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 252 Post(s)
Quoted: 12469 Post(s)
Liked: 11660
Quote:

if youre saying Aquaman had sort of a "bleachy" look, then I'd definitely agree. good colors, but the contrast sucked imo.
morphinapg likes this.
post #26529 of 26726 Old 06-15-2019, 10:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray0414 View Post
if youre saying Aquaman had sort of a "bleachy" look, then I'd definitely agree. good colors, but the contrast sucked imo.
Let me ask you this, in the scene on what looks like a island and Black Manta arrives, do you see clouds above the ocean?

Aquaman was graded on the Dolby Pulsar, now I don't know what the MaxCLL is, but I assume its pretty high. The contrast setting may be to high, especially since it brightens the entire screen, unlike the backlight particularly during HDR playback.

post #26530 of 26726 Old 06-15-2019, 11:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Let me ask you this, in the scene on what looks like a island and Black Manta arrives, do you see clouds above the ocean?

Aquaman was graded on the Dolby Pulsar, now I don't know what the MaxCLL is, but I assume its pretty high. The contrast setting may be to high, especially since it brightens the entire screen, unlike the backlight particularly during HDR playback.

Is this what you mean? Because the clouds look fine to me here. Are you using DV Dark mode? DV Bright does have a harsher tonemapping which crushes more highlights. Also if you increase OLED Light from the default that will have a similar effect.

Watching in HDR10 may look different of course.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190616_022349.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	548.2 KB
ID:	2580630   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190616_022237.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	662.6 KB
ID:	2580632   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190616_022133.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	780.1 KB
ID:	2580634   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190616_022501.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	457.0 KB
ID:	2580636  

post #26531 of 26726 Old 06-15-2019, 11:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Is this what you mean? Because the clouds look fine to me here. Are you using DV Dark mode? DV Bright does have a harsher tonemapping which crushes more highlights. Also if you increase OLED Light from the default that will have a similar effect.

Yeah, thats the scene. I have a Vizio P Series, I had to reduce contrast by 3, so that the display no longer clipped white between 1000-4000 nits. DV playback all the way, I use Calibrated Dark now with an increased backlight setting to match the color control setting.

post #26532 of 26726 Old 06-15-2019, 11:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yeah, thats the scene. I have a Vizio P Series, I had to reduce contrast by 3, so that the display no longer clipped white between 1000-4000 nits. DV playback all the way, I use Calibrated Dark now with an increased backlight setting to match the color control setting.

Ah, sounds like your TV's settings probably work different than me. While OLED Light and Contrast both affect tonemapping somewhat, they don't do a whole lot below their default values except make things darker. From my experimentation, the default settings are almost always optimal. The only setting I do change is I drop brightness from 50 to 49, as strangely 50 was resulting in some raised black levels, even in letterbox during bright scenes. 49 solved that on both disc and streaming for me.

post #26533 of 26726 Old 06-15-2019, 11:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Ah, sounds like your TV's settings probably work different than me. While OLED Light and Contrast both affect tonemapping somewhat, they don't do a whole lot below their default values except make things darker. From my experimentation, the default settings are almost always optimal. The only setting I do change is I drop brightness from 50 to 49, as strangely 50 was resulting in some raised black levels, even in letterbox during bright scenes. 49 solved that on both disc and streaming for me.

You know whats weird, Dolby has never said in any marketing material, that the basic display settings should never be changed.

With, my current settings, contrast has got a boost. I have to say though, the Vudu stream in DV has even better color.

post #26534 of 26726 Old 06-16-2019, 12:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You know whats weird, Dolby has never said in any marketing material, that the basic display settings should never be changed.

With, my current settings, contrast has got a boost. I have to say though, the Vudu stream in DV has even better color.

With the way DV tonemapping works, it takes capabilities of both displays into account when calculating tonemapping, so it would only make sense that those calculations assume default settings for correct tonemapping. However of course every panel has slight variations from one to the next. So it's certainly possible your default settings may not be the most correct. Does your display have calibration controls for DV? I know mine doesn't so I have no way to verify anything definitely.

post #26535 of 26726 Old 06-16-2019, 12:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
With the way DV tonemapping works, it takes capabilities of both displays into account when calculating tonemapping, so it would only make sense that those calculations assume default settings for correct tonemapping. However of course every panel has slight variations from one to the next. So it's certainly possible your default settings may not be the most correct. Does your display have calibration controls for DV? I know mine doesn't so I have no way to verify anything definitely.

Yeah, you can do a two point grayscale calibration and 11 point white balance is used to calibrate the PQ EOTF. The CMS works as well.

The contrast control is just to high at stock, its true for SDR content as well. My LG UP970 may be introducing RGB errors at the HDMI port.

I wonder if DV Bright on your OLED, with a slightly reduced contrast control would just match DV Dark.

post #26536 of 26726 Old 06-16-2019, 12:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yeah, you can do a two point grayscale calibration and 11 point white balance is used to calibrate the PQ EOTF. The CMS works as well.

The contrast control is just to high at stock, its true for SDR content as well. My LG UP970 may be introducing RGB errors at the HDMI port.

I wonder if DV Bright on your OLED, with a slightly reduced contrast control would just match DV Dark.

When I lower contrast so that the two modes have similar APL, the Dark mode still seems to have more contrast overall. Same thing with OLED Light. Both controls seem to similarly affect tonemapping but there are some slight differences. Contrast got it closer together than OLED Light did. But both controls appeared to negatively impact the quality of the tonemapping though, slightly, even if they did reveal more detail in highlights. Loses a bit of its punch. Sort of like lower gamma to make up for what otherwise would have been a darker image (though it does get darker too). But it's clearly more complicated than that too. Just a lot going on with DV tonemapping it seems.

Anyway, back on topic I guess lol. Even with all of those highlights visible, there's still not a huge contrast between the midtones and brightest highlights in Aquaman. While the brightest highlights are very bright, so is the APL, so you sort of limit the dynamics of the image that way. These kind of movies typically look great for those who watch HDR with the lights on, but for those of us who watch in the dark where our eyes can adjust to different APLs, they aren't quite as impressive.

post #26537 of 26726 Old 06-16-2019, 01:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
When I lower contrast so that the two modes have similar APL, the Dark mode still seems to have more contrast overall. Same thing with OLED Light. Both controls seem to similarly affect tonemapping but there are some slight differences. Contrast got it closer together than OLED Light did. But both controls appeared to negatively impact the quality of the tonemapping though, slightly, even if they did reveal more detail in highlights. Loses a bit of its punch. Sort of like lower gamma to make up for what otherwise would have been a darker image (though it does get darker too). But it's clearly more complicated than that too. Just a lot going on with DV tonemapping it seems.

Anyway, back on topic I guess lol. Even with all of those highlights visible, there's still not a huge contrast between the midtones and brightest highlights in Aquaman. While the brightest highlights are very bright, so is the APL, so you sort of limit the dynamics of the image that way. These kind of movies typically look great for those who watch HDR with the lights on, but for those of us who watch in the dark where our eyes can adjust to different APLs, they aren't quite as impressive.

Yeah, its why it lacks depth in those scenes, the majority of the film lacks depth.

Star Wars TLJ island scenes has a lot off depth, Jumanji WTTJ does as well.

morphinapg likes this.
post #26538 of 26726 Old 06-17-2019, 08:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1008 Post(s)
Liked: 1811
I'm only two episodes (3 hours) in, but if you can stand Refn's typically languorous pacing, Too Old to Die Young is one of the most gorgeous shows I've seen yet. The HDR really stands out on this. The color is luscious. Lot's of neon lights and inky shadows.
galonzo and ma1746 like this.
post #26539 of 26726 Old 06-17-2019, 08:22 AM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8952 Post(s)
Liked: 5728
Quote:

I had no problems with clipping from those scenes on my TCL 6 Series. It looked fine in both DV and HDR10.
morphinapg likes this.

49TB unRAID1a--53TB unRAID2--70TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #26540 of 26726 Old 06-18-2019, 02:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 4346 Post(s)
Liked: 2443
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
It was in HD DV 5.1 DD+ when I watched it a couple of Sundays ago.

Assuming I'm remembering correctly.

With Netflix I check an HDR title first on my ATV 4K to see if it has Atmos audio. Then if not I watch it in DV from my TCL UHD TV, or my FireTV 4K, or my Philips UHD BD player. I watched the Wandering Earth from my Philip's player since I can toggle the streaming info on it to see what bitrate encode is being played from Netflix.

Sent from my Galaxy S10
I tried to watch "The Wandering Earth" today on two separate ATV 4K devices and they both indicated "Atmos" on the tag but only played in stereo so don't know what's going on with this title. I finally gave up and removed it from my queue. I have plenty of others I need to watch to worry about this one.
galonzo likes this.

lujan
513 Ultra HD
723 HD
4 SD
post #26541 of 26726 Old 06-18-2019, 06:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2062 Post(s)
Liked: 2048
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewTT View Post
First one was alright then it quickly goes down hill.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
It’s a slight departure and really depends on what you’re looking for out of BM. It’s still Dark Tales of technology. They aren’t bad (IMO), but they probably won’t appeal to everyone (as we can see from the reviews). I’d watch and make the judgement for yourself. A good bit fans of Snowfall will be happy about an appearance in episode 2.
Finally watched it. While not bad, it didn’t feel like black mirror at all.
post #26542 of 26726 Old 06-19-2019, 05:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1151 Post(s)
Liked: 717
If anyone is interested?
I personally never have see this movie in its entirety. I may now!
https://birthmoviesdeath.com/2019/06/18/the-shining-4k
cydeweyz, subacabra and DrTim like this.

Sony 55 A9F
Panasonic DP-UB820
Sony UBP-X700
Samsung HW-K950 Dolby Atmos sound bar
post #26543 of 26726 Old 06-19-2019, 07:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 3857
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbino421 View Post
If anyone is interested?
Very interested. This has my name written ALL over it!

Spoiler!
post #26544 of 26726 Old 06-19-2019, 08:37 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked: 402
Quote:
If anyone is interested?

If you love this movie, then you love Ready Player One for its “Shining” role in it
post #26545 of 26726 Old 06-19-2019, 09:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1194 Post(s)
Liked: 1995
Quote:
If anyone is interested?
An excellent, eerie and thoroughly scary movie, so of course.

Nicholson's portrayal has been copied MANY times, but never equaled.
post #26546 of 26726 Old 06-19-2019, 09:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 4346 Post(s)
Liked: 2443
I remember watching "The Shining" many years ago and not liking it much. I don't see how a 4k disc is going to change the story in any way.
ataneruo likes this.

lujan
513 Ultra HD
723 HD
4 SD
post #26547 of 26726 Old 06-19-2019, 09:46 AM

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 6277 Post(s)
Liked: 5920
Quote:
If anyone is interested?

No one.....many ones this is a “classic” so it’s a must pick up for me. I’ve had it on pre order for awhile now.
hernanu and DrTim like this.
post #26548 of 26726 Old 06-19-2019, 09:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1194 Post(s)
Liked: 1995
Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post
I remember watching "The Shining" many years ago and not liking it much. I don't see how a 4k disc is going to change the story in any way.

I don't think changing the story is in the UHD metadata, so if you didn't like it then, you won't like it now. But for those of us who did like it, the brooding nature of the entire movie can't help but be improved with better color, light and so on.

I saw it when it was released in 1980, made from one of my favorite Stephen King books. It came out in 35 mm film, so hopefully the 4K release can capture the way it was done by Stanley Kubrik.
post #26549 of 26726 Old 06-19-2019, 11:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 252 Post(s)
Quoted: 12469 Post(s)
Liked: 11660
here's a complete list of the currently available 4k Blu Rays I'm going to attempt to count lol

will add this to the front list.

https://hd-report.com/list-of-4k-ult...y-disc-titles/

BTW. i added this list and they also have a master NETFLIX list also that i added to the front list. These master lists pretty much take over the front list. Adding master lists to the front is basically the extent of adding to the front list ill be doing from now on. Hell, i see its been since last August since i last updated the list LOL
korsjs, galonzo, Musician and 2 others like this.

75Q9FN*55C8OLED*Galaxy S10+ *Ub820 fed into Oppo 203* XB1X* 4k Denon X4200

MASTER LIST OF HDR CONTENT THREAD HERE, UPDATED OFTEN

Last edited by ray0414; 06-20-2019 at 12:07 AM.
post #26550 of 26726 Old 06-20-2019, 03:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1151 Post(s)
Liked: 717
The reviewer I believe he said it was a reference worthy disc, not an exact quote but very very good PQ

Sony 55 A9F
Panasonic DP-UB820
Sony UBP-X700
Samsung HW-K950 Dolby Atmos sound bar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply High Dynamic Range (HDR) & Wide Color Gamut (WCG)

Tags
dolby vision , hdr10 , JS8500 , KS9800 , ultra hd blu-ray

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page