Master List of currently available 4k HDR titles, will be updated often. - Page 929 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 32266Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #27841 of 28549 Old 10-14-2019, 02:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
morphinapg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,932
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2385 Post(s)
Liked: 1973
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisplayCalNoob View Post
I watched the Vudu DV stream and thought it looked amazing. A lot of reflections, amazing detail, the carnival looked amazing.

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk
Oh don't get me wrong, the graphics and overall visual aesthetic are great. I'm just saying there's next to no upgrade from SDR.

It seems a lot of reviews are being influenced by how pretty the movie is in general, and not focusing on how it actually uses the UHD tech.

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk

Living Room: Sony XBR65X930D, Sony HTCT780, Philips BDP7501
Bedroom: LG OLED55C6P, Denon AVR-X1300W (5.1.2), PS4 Pro, Sony UBP-X700, Chromecast Ultra
Check out my video game movie edits
morphinapg is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #27842 of 28549 Old 10-14-2019, 03:17 PM
UHD Addict
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 36,208
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9510 Post(s)
Liked: 6206
Quote:
Originally Posted by morphinapg View Post
Oh don't get me wrong, the graphics and overall visual aesthetic are great. I'm just saying there's next to no upgrade from SDR.

It seems a lot of reviews are being influenced by how pretty the movie is in general, and not focusing on how it actually uses the UHD tech.

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk
But many of those benefits are from the wider COlor gamut with HDR.
Plus I thought there were many scenes that really shined with HDR bright highlights.

But, I was also not really looking to critique the HDR presentation. I just sat back and enjoyed it.
ray0414 and mrtickleuk like this.

57TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is online now  
post #27843 of 28549 Old 10-14-2019, 03:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
morphinapg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,932
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2385 Post(s)
Liked: 1973
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
But many of those benefits are from the wider COlor gamut with HDR.
Plus I thought there were many scenes that really shined with HDR bright highlights.

But, I was also not really looking to critique the HDR presentation. I just sat back and enjoyed it.
None of the highlights appeared to take advantage of HDR brightness to me. Same with shadows and darkness.

Color had a possible subtle improvement in terms of 10bit precision, but I saw no signs of WCG expansion.

Living Room: Sony XBR65X930D, Sony HTCT780, Philips BDP7501
Bedroom: LG OLED55C6P, Denon AVR-X1300W (5.1.2), PS4 Pro, Sony UBP-X700, Chromecast Ultra
Check out my video game movie edits
morphinapg is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #27844 of 28549 Old 10-14-2019, 04:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Gillietalls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,185
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1536 Post(s)
Liked: 1593
Gemini Man

Just got back from a Dolby Vision 3D HFR viewing and this is hands down the best looking movie I’ve ever scene! Say what you want about the movie. It’s not as bad as the critics are making it out to be in my opinion. But as far as picture quality, I don’t think anything is even close. It was hard to believe it wasn’t 4K. That’s how clear and sharp the picture was. The HFR was an added dimension that took the picture to a whole different level. The hyper real look kept everything smooth with no blurring or judder. It made the action way more easy to see. This is the first HFR movie I’ve seen in the theater. Second movie ever behind my home version of Billy Lynn’s Long Halftime Walk, and I’m a HFR fan. Hope to see more movies using this technology.
ray0414 and longhorn23 like this.

LG 77C8, Sony 75x940E, LG 65B7, LG 65EF9500, LG 55E6, LG 55UB8200, 2 TCL 49S515's
2 Apple 4K TVs, 2 LG UP970's, 2 Samsung UBD-K8500s, WD 4TB NAS
Nvidia Shield, Wii U, Playstation 3
Gillietalls is offline  
post #27845 of 28549 Old 10-14-2019, 04:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
morphinapg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,932
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2385 Post(s)
Liked: 1973
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillietalls View Post
Just got back from a Dolby Vision 3D HFR viewing and this is hands down the best looking movie I’ve ever scene! Say what you want about the movie. It’s not as bad as the critics are making it out to be in my opinion. But as far as picture quality, I don’t think anything is even close. It was hard to believe it wasn’t 4K. That’s how clear and sharp the picture was. The HFR was an added dimension that took the picture to a whole different level. The hyper real look kept everything smooth with no blurring or judder. It made the action way more easy to see. This is the first HFR movie I’ve seen in the theater. Second movie ever behind my home version of Billy Lynn’s Long Halftime Walk, and I’m a HFR fan. Hope to see more movies using this technology.
I absolutely, absolutely hated HFR. Made everything feel like amateur home video, or a soap opera, or whatever. I really hate the effect high frame rates have on the sense of scale/epic. It completely destroys that. Sometimes added immersion is not always a good thing. Lower frame rates help enforce the sensation that you're viewing another world, a fantasy world, something larger than life. HFR eliminates that and makes things feel too real, and reality is disappointing compared to fantasy.

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk
CoryW, Mattopotamus and mrtickleuk like this.

Living Room: Sony XBR65X930D, Sony HTCT780, Philips BDP7501
Bedroom: LG OLED55C6P, Denon AVR-X1300W (5.1.2), PS4 Pro, Sony UBP-X700, Chromecast Ultra
Check out my video game movie edits
morphinapg is online now  
post #27846 of 28549 Old 10-14-2019, 04:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 2,819
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Liked: 1120
Quote:
Originally Posted by morphinapg View Post
Oh don't get me wrong, the graphics and overall visual aesthetic are great. I'm just saying there's next to no upgrade from SDR.

It seems a lot of reviews are being influenced by how pretty the movie is in general, and not focusing on how it actually uses the UHD tech.

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk
It does lack depth, but there is some highlight detail that stands out.

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk
DisplayCalNoob is offline  
post #27847 of 28549 Old 10-14-2019, 04:50 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Ph8te's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 19,521
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6619 Post(s)
Liked: 6428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillietalls View Post
Just got back from a Dolby Vision 3D HFR viewing and this is hands down the best looking movie I’ve ever scene! Say what you want about the movie. It’s not as bad as the critics are making it out to be in my opinion. But as far as picture quality, I don’t think anything is even close. It was hard to believe it wasn’t 4K. That’s how clear and sharp the picture was. The HFR was an added dimension that took the picture to a whole different level. The hyper real look kept everything smooth with no blurring or judder. It made the action way more easy to see. This is the first HFR movie I’ve seen in the theater. Second movie ever behind my home version of Billy Lynn’s Long Halftime Walk, and I’m a HFR fan. Hope to see more movies using this technology.


I’m guessing this is Gemeni Man? (Headers don’t show up on Tapatalk).
musicman0725 likes this.
Ph8te is online now  
post #27848 of 28549 Old 10-14-2019, 04:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Gillietalls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,185
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1536 Post(s)
Liked: 1593
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
I’m guessing this is Gemeni Man? (Headers don’t show up on Tapatalk).
Yes.
Ph8te likes this.

LG 77C8, Sony 75x940E, LG 65B7, LG 65EF9500, LG 55E6, LG 55UB8200, 2 TCL 49S515's
2 Apple 4K TVs, 2 LG UP970's, 2 Samsung UBD-K8500s, WD 4TB NAS
Nvidia Shield, Wii U, Playstation 3
Gillietalls is offline  
post #27849 of 28549 Old 10-14-2019, 04:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jconjason's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 3,059
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1301 Post(s)
Liked: 2154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
I’m guessing this is Gemeni Man? (Headers don’t show up on Tapatalk).
I was wondering the same!

Samsung 65" KS8000
Denon AVR 6300H
Klipsch 5.1.2
HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP
jconjason is offline  
post #27850 of 28549 Old 10-15-2019, 12:28 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 110
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by morphinapg View Post
I absolutely, absolutely hated HFR. Made everything feel like amateur home video, or a soap opera, or whatever. I really hate the effect high frame rates have on the sense of scale/epic. It completely destroys that. Sometimes added immersion is not always a good thing. Lower frame rates help enforce the sensation that you're viewing another world, a fantasy world, something larger than life. HFR eliminates that and makes things feel too real, and reality is disappointing compared to fantasy.

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk
What does this have to do with HDR? Please take this HFR discussion to another thread. Thanks.
Gillietalls and jconjason like this.
longhorn23 is online now  
post #27851 of 28549 Old 10-15-2019, 12:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
morphinapg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,932
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2385 Post(s)
Liked: 1973
Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn23 View Post
What does this have to do with HDR? Please take this HFR discussion to another thread. Thanks.
I agree. Shouldn't have been mentioned here. Which is why I resisted the urge to post about it after I saw the movie. I was just responding to someone else's post.

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk

Living Room: Sony XBR65X930D, Sony HTCT780, Philips BDP7501
Bedroom: LG OLED55C6P, Denon AVR-X1300W (5.1.2), PS4 Pro, Sony UBP-X700, Chromecast Ultra
Check out my video game movie edits
morphinapg is online now  
post #27852 of 28549 Old 10-15-2019, 05:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
lizrussspike's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Parkview, IA
Posts: 3,229
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1288 Post(s)
Liked: 1943
Thanks for your review @Gillietalls.
lizrussspike is offline  
post #27853 of 28549 Old 10-15-2019, 06:49 AM
UHD Addict
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 36,208
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9510 Post(s)
Liked: 6206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillietalls View Post
Just got back from a Dolby Vision 3D HFR viewing and this is hands down the best looking movie I’ve ever scene! Say what you want about the movie. It’s not as bad as the critics are making it out to be in my opinion. But as far as picture quality, I don’t think anything is even close. It was hard to believe it wasn’t 4K. That’s how clear and sharp the picture was. The HFR was an added dimension that took the picture to a whole different level. The hyper real look kept everything smooth with no blurring or judder. It made the action way more easy to see. This is the first HFR movie I’ve seen in the theater. Second movie ever behind my home version of Billy Lynn’s Long Halftime Walk, and I’m a HFR fan. Hope to see more movies using this technology.
It was in HFR but no theater showed it the way it was actually intended. Ang Lee intended it to be at 120fps.
Although I like think it was in HDR in the Dolby theater.
Sent from my Nexus 7(16GB)
Tygeezy likes this.

57TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is online now  
post #27854 of 28549 Old 10-15-2019, 08:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Gillietalls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,185
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1536 Post(s)
Liked: 1593
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
It was in HFR but no theater showed it the way it was actually intended. Ang Lee intended it to be at 120fps.
Although I like think it was in HDR in the Dolby theater.
Sent from my Nexus 7(16GB)

I'm almost certain it was in HDR as well. I've never seen sparks from gunfire and explosions look so real. Also the night time scenes has plenty of shadow detail.
Tygeezy likes this.

LG 77C8, Sony 75x940E, LG 65B7, LG 65EF9500, LG 55E6, LG 55UB8200, 2 TCL 49S515's
2 Apple 4K TVs, 2 LG UP970's, 2 Samsung UBD-K8500s, WD 4TB NAS
Nvidia Shield, Wii U, Playstation 3
Gillietalls is offline  
post #27855 of 28549 Old 10-15-2019, 12:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
morphinapg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,932
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2385 Post(s)
Liked: 1973
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillietalls View Post
I'm almost certain it was in HDR as well. I've never seen sparks from gunfire and explosions look so real. Also the night time scenes has plenty of shadow detail.
Dolby Vision has some minimal HDR but what you were seeing with explosions was most likely the result of HFR. It's certainly realistic but I've already explained why I don't think that's a good thing for movies. Makes it feel cheap/amateurish despite the budget.

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk
mrtickleuk likes this.

Living Room: Sony XBR65X930D, Sony HTCT780, Philips BDP7501
Bedroom: LG OLED55C6P, Denon AVR-X1300W (5.1.2), PS4 Pro, Sony UBP-X700, Chromecast Ultra
Check out my video game movie edits
morphinapg is online now  
post #27856 of 28549 Old 10-15-2019, 04:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jconjason's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 3,059
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1301 Post(s)
Liked: 2154
Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn23 View Post
What does this have to do with HDR? Please take this HFR discussion to another thread. Thanks.
Well played sir, well played.
longhorn23 likes this.

Samsung 65" KS8000
Denon AVR 6300H
Klipsch 5.1.2
HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP
jconjason is offline  
post #27857 of 28549 Old 10-15-2019, 06:23 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Ph8te's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 19,521
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6619 Post(s)
Liked: 6428
Master List of currently available 4k HDR titles, will be updated often.

Hellboy (2014) Theatrical and Directors cut are 4K HDR10 in ITunes.
aaronwt and m_snow like this.
Ph8te is online now  
post #27858 of 28549 Old 10-15-2019, 06:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Southern California
Posts: 2,876
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1888 Post(s)
Liked: 1193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
Hellboy (2014) Theatrical and Directors cut are 4K HDR10 in ITunes.


Scarface too.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ph8te likes this.

Mike
Sony XBR-65X930E | ATV4K-64GB & 2-32GB 5th Gens | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2017 | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2019 | Logitech Harmony Elite
m_snow is online now  
post #27859 of 28549 Old 10-15-2019, 06:54 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Ph8te's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 19,521
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6619 Post(s)
Liked: 6428
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_snow View Post
Scarface too.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk


Hellboy looks really good (at least the small sample I looked at).

Scarface you’ll need to watch pst the intro which has some really low PQ (about 3:45 the movie starts). Looks really good, but will never be an HDR showcase.
Ph8te is online now  
post #27860 of 28549 Old 10-15-2019, 07:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
drewTT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Newport Beach, CA
Posts: 4,745
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2187 Post(s)
Liked: 2325
Watched some Schindler's List in DV on iTunes the other day. Super clean and much better looking then the HD version I remember.
Ph8te likes this.

LG OLED65E8 | Plinius Hiato | Dynaudio Contour 20 | Dynaudio Stand 6 | REL S/510 | PS Audio DirectStream | Furman IT-Reference 15i
Sony PS4 Pro | Synology DS916+ | Apple TV 4K | BDI Mirage | NEEO | Focal Shape 40 | iFi Pro iDSD | iFi Pro iRack | iFi AC iPurifier | roon
drewTT is offline  
post #27861 of 28549 Old 10-15-2019, 07:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Southern California
Posts: 2,876
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1888 Post(s)
Liked: 1193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
Hellboy looks really good (at least the small sample I looked at).

Scarface you’ll need to watch pst the intro which has some really low PQ (about 3:45 the movie starts). Looks really good, but will never be an HDR showcase.


I already watch the 4K/HDR Scarface disk. Super great movie no matter how the transfer was but I was disappointed with the softness and grain overall. I was hoping they would put more restoration work into it.
I’m looking forward to watching Hellboy too.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
galonzo likes this.

Mike
Sony XBR-65X930E | ATV4K-64GB & 2-32GB 5th Gens | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2017 | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2019 | Logitech Harmony Elite
m_snow is online now  
post #27862 of 28549 Old 10-15-2019, 07:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
helvetica bold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: NYC
Posts: 2,540
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1797 Post(s)
Liked: 1160
I've read nothing but stellar reviews of Toy Story 4K! I first watched it in the Dolby Cinema and was highly impressed.
Any chance this will be available be on Disney+ next month?

I'm surprised some of you aren't impressed with the film in 4K.

Just one of many glowing reviews.

"The film was reportedly finished at 4K, and the result is one of the most dynamic digitally animated presentations the format has seen yet."
"The UHD's HDR colors are superior to the Blu-ray's SDR spectrum. "

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Toy-S...lu-ray/241710/
aaronwt, galonzo and ray0414 like this.

LG65C9, XBOX ONE X, PS4PRO, APPLE 4K, SONY STRDN1070, TAKE CLASSIC 5.1
helvetica bold is online now  
post #27863 of 28549 Old 10-15-2019, 07:52 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Waboman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: The Leaky Tiki
Posts: 17,154
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7225 Post(s)
Liked: 16434
Quote:
Originally Posted by helvetica bold View Post
I've read nothing but stellar reviews of Toy Story 4K! I first watched it in the Dolby Cinema and was highly impressed.
Any chance this will be available be on Disney+ next month?

I'm surprised some of you aren't impressed with the film in 4K.

Just one of many glowing reviews.

"The film was reportedly finished at 4K, and the result is one of the most dynamic digitally animated presentations the format has seen yet."
"The UHD's HDR colors are superior to the Blu-ray's SDR spectrum. "

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Toy-S...lu-ray/241710/
Doesn’t look like it will be on TheMouse+ at launch tine. That’s not to say it won’t be added later. Here’s a list of all the launch titles: https://www.vitalthrills.com/2019/10...tles-revealed/

__________________________________________________
Take life with a grain of salt... a slice of lime, and a shot of tequila
Waboman is online now  
post #27864 of 28549 Old 10-15-2019, 07:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
morphinapg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,932
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2385 Post(s)
Liked: 1973
Quote:
Originally Posted by helvetica bold View Post
I've read nothing but stellar reviews of Toy Story 4K! I first watched it in the Dolby Cinema and was highly impressed.

Any chance this will be available be on Disney+ next month?



I'm surprised some of you aren't impressed with the film in 4K.



Just one of many glowing reviews.



"The film was reportedly finished at 4K, and the result is one of the most dynamic digitally animated presentations the format has seen yet."

"The UHD's HDR colors are superior to the Blu-ray's SDR spectrum. "



https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Toy-S...lu-ray/241710/
I was also quite surprised that I was disappointed with it. I was certain with all of those glowing reviews that it would look great.

But really, it barely looked any different than SDR to me. Great visuals from the movie itself, but not much use of the HDR technology. It seems to me like a lot of people are being wowed by the overall look of the movie, which I agree is beautiful, but that has nothing to do with the HDR or the 4K. It's just the visual direction of the movie itself, which is just as true in SDR and not improved much, if at all by the UHD.

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk

Living Room: Sony XBR65X930D, Sony HTCT780, Philips BDP7501
Bedroom: LG OLED55C6P, Denon AVR-X1300W (5.1.2), PS4 Pro, Sony UBP-X700, Chromecast Ultra
Check out my video game movie edits
morphinapg is online now  
post #27865 of 28549 Old 10-15-2019, 07:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
drewTT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Newport Beach, CA
Posts: 4,745
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2187 Post(s)
Liked: 2325
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_snow View Post
Scarface too.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks for the heads up on this one. I've been loving these upgrades lately by Apple. I just watched a bit of it and some nice boost in colors for sure.
m_snow likes this.

LG OLED65E8 | Plinius Hiato | Dynaudio Contour 20 | Dynaudio Stand 6 | REL S/510 | PS Audio DirectStream | Furman IT-Reference 15i
Sony PS4 Pro | Synology DS916+ | Apple TV 4K | BDI Mirage | NEEO | Focal Shape 40 | iFi Pro iDSD | iFi Pro iRack | iFi AC iPurifier | roon
drewTT is offline  
post #27866 of 28549 Old 10-15-2019, 10:33 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Ph8te's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 19,521
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6619 Post(s)
Liked: 6428
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_snow View Post
I already watch the 4K/HDR Scarface disk. Super great movie no matter how the transfer was but I was disappointed with the softness and grain overall. I was hoping they would put more restoration work into it.
I’m looking forward to watching Hellboy too.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It looked a tad soft in some areas in the small portion I watched, but it was a fine grain layer which I’m OK with. Any movie shot on film should have some grain to it (especially if it’s older). Maybe it gets worse later on but the beginning is mighty fine IMO. Not a reference disk, but fans of the movie should be pleased with the outcome.


Quote:
Originally Posted by helvetica bold View Post
I've read nothing but stellar reviews of Toy Story 4K! I first watched it in the Dolby Cinema and was highly impressed.

Any chance this will be available be on Disney+ next month?



I'm surprised some of you aren't impressed with the film in 4K.



Just one of many glowing reviews.



"The film was reportedly finished at 4K, and the result is one of the most dynamic digitally animated presentations the format has seen yet."

"The UHD's HDR colors are superior to the Blu-ray's SDR spectrum. "



https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Toy-S...lu-ray/241710/


No, not next month, but probably early 2020. Releases still follow the standard process Theater>Digital/Physical>Streaming/Cable/Satellite.
Ph8te is online now  
post #27867 of 28549 Old 10-15-2019, 11:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
subacabra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Hillsborough, New Jersey
Posts: 2,667
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1763 Post(s)
Liked: 5033
Just watched half of Scarface 4k and even though it was soft in some shots and had grain galore, it's still the best it's looked imo. Was going to watch it on my Benq HT3550 4k Projector but decided to utilize my calibrated 900e to get the full effect.
I thought The Shining 4k looked a lot better.
My subwoofers(dual PSA s3601's) actually turned off at one point in Scarface despite running around 10db hot and at mv -28. Thought that was kind of funny. Overall though the DTS:X soundtrack was good.
galonzo likes this.
subacabra is online now  
post #27868 of 28549 Old 10-16-2019, 01:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
lujan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 9,188
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4769 Post(s)
Liked: 2800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
Doesn’t look like it will be on TheMouse+ at launch tine. That’s not to say it won’t be added later. Here’s a list of all the launch titles: https://www.vitalthrills.com/2019/10...tles-revealed/
I would be far more interested in what 4k HDR content will be available at launch. I couldn't see where this was broken out on this site. There is so much content available now at the various streaming sites that I need to be more particular and break it out into 4k HDR (or at least 4k) in order to have a chance at watching most of it.
aaronwt and galonzo like this.

lujan
580 Ultra HD
723 HD
4 SD
lujan is offline  
post #27869 of 28549 Old 10-16-2019, 03:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Southern California
Posts: 2,876
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1888 Post(s)
Liked: 1193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
It looked a tad soft in some areas in the small portion I watched, but it was a fine grain layer which I’m OK with. Any movie shot on film should have some grain to it (especially if it’s older). Maybe it gets worse later on but the beginning is mighty fine IMO. Not a reference disk, but fans of the movie should be pleased with the outcome.






No, not next month, but probably early 2020. Releases still follow the standard process Theater>Digital/Physical>Streaming/Cable/Satellite.


I was hoping for the transfer to be closer to the quality of The Shining or Batman Returns. It’s still the best version of the movie though.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ph8te likes this.

Mike
Sony XBR-65X930E | ATV4K-64GB & 2-32GB 5th Gens | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2017 | Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2019 | Logitech Harmony Elite
m_snow is online now  
post #27870 of 28549 Old 10-16-2019, 04:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Gillietalls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,185
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1536 Post(s)
Liked: 1593
Quote:
Originally Posted by morphinapg View Post
Dolby Vision has some minimal HDR but what you were seeing with explosions was most likely the result of HFR. It's certainly realistic but I've already explained why I don't think that's a good thing for movies. Makes it feel cheap/amateurish despite the budget.

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk

Ok we get it. You don't like HFR. You don't have to keep repeating yourself. Your OPINION is not going to change mine. I love it!
ray0414, longhorn23 and Salty01 like this.

LG 77C8, Sony 75x940E, LG 65B7, LG 65EF9500, LG 55E6, LG 55UB8200, 2 TCL 49S515's
2 Apple 4K TVs, 2 LG UP970's, 2 Samsung UBD-K8500s, WD 4TB NAS
Nvidia Shield, Wii U, Playstation 3
Gillietalls is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply High Dynamic Range (HDR) & Wide Color Gamut (WCG)

Tags
dolby vision , hdr10 , JS8500 , KS9800 , ultra hd blu-ray

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off