Master List of currently available 4k HDR titles, will be updated often. - Page 985 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 35402Likes

post #29521 of 30421 Old 02-28-2020, 07:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2479 Post(s)
Liked: 3593
The last (and only) time I did an A/B comparison of disc vs streaming was about 6 months ago and I was surprised by the difference. The disc PQ had a more in depth, wider dynamic range quality. The stream looked flatter and slightly washed out in comparison. I expected them be closer in quality. Comparison was between disc and a 4K HDR stream on Itunes via ATV4K.

Audio quality goes to disc of course. Way more dynamic range and punch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #29522 of 30421 Old 02-28-2020, 09:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1976 Post(s)
Liked: 1177
Disney + appears to have a pretty good bitrate, Captain Marvel and The Lion King seem to be big stand outs.

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk
ray0414 likes this.
post #29523 of 30421 Old 02-28-2020, 09:57 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Really impressed by Midway.
aaronwt and ataneruo like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #29524 of 30421 Old 02-29-2020, 03:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 5205 Post(s)
Liked: 3219
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisplayCalNoob View Post
Disney + appears to have a pretty good bitrate, Captain Marvel and The Lion King seem to be big stand outs.

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk
Also, "Togo" is great on Disney+.
helvetica bold likes this.

lujan
695 Ultra HD
737 HD
4 SD
post #29525 of 30421 Old 02-29-2020, 05:53 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 395 Post(s)
Liked: 317
I've been very impressed with VUDU's 4K HDR. You'd be hard-pressed to point to which is the disc version going back and forth. Audio has been great as well. Disc usually has better high frequencies, but down low and VUDU hits hard. I've always been a physical media guy, but finally giving VUDU a chance a couple years ago showed me how much the gap closed. I'll buy a movie on VUDU if I don't own it and it's on sale. Usually I'll buy the 4K Blu-ray and use the digital code if I really want the movie.
post #29526 of 30421 Old 02-29-2020, 06:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spewdom View Post
I've been very impressed with VUDU's 4K HDR. You'd be hard-pressed to point to which is the disc version going back and forth. Audio has been great as well. Disc usually has better high frequencies, but down low and VUDU hits hard. I've always been a physical media guy, but finally giving VUDU a chance a couple years ago showed me how much the gap closed. I'll buy a movie on VUDU if I don't own it and it's on sale. Usually I'll buy the 4K Blu-ray and use the digital code if I really want the movie.
True, I just watched the directors cut of Doctor Sleep last night on Vudu. Both DV video and Atmos audio was great!

lujan
695 Ultra HD
737 HD
4 SD
post #29527 of 30421 Old 02-29-2020, 06:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 222 Post(s)
Quoted: 6220 Post(s)
Liked: 9043
Quote:
I've been very impressed with VUDU's 4K HDR. You'd be hard-pressed to point to which is the disc version going back and forth.
Are you on drugs?

Quote:
Audio has been great as well. Disc usually has better high frequencies, but down low and VUDU hits hard. I've always been a physical media guy, but finally giving VUDU a chance a couple years ago showed me how much the gap closed. I'll buy a movie on VUDU if I don't own it and it's on sale. Usually I'll buy the 4K Blu-ray and use the digital code if I really want the movie.
This is fine and of course, your choice. But reading that makes me very sad. For me it's not about whether I can "tell" the difference. It's about the fact I know the audio is lossless, I know the video bitrate is higher, I know it is mine to keep for ever and ever and ever and I will always be able to watch it, and I will always be able to lend it to all of my friends for free, and they can lend me movies from their collection for free too. Those freedoms, once lost, are gone forever. That is why I will always fight for physical-digital media over the "fast food convenience" of streaming-digital media.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
post #29528 of 30421 Old 02-29-2020, 09:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
Are you on drugs?

This is fine and of course, your choice. But reading that makes me very sad. For me it's not about whether I can "tell" the difference. It's about the fact I know the audio is lossless, I know the video bitrate is higher, I know it is mine to keep for ever and ever and ever and I will always be able to watch it, and I will always be able to lend it to all of my friends for free, and they can lend me movies from their collection for free too. Those freedoms, once lost, are gone forever. That is why I will always fight for physical-digital media over the "fast food convenience" of streaming-digital media.
And in 2-3 years you'll have 8k with higher bitrates, more channels audio with even higher bitrate, wider color gamut, etc... And then your xx years of collecting can be thrown in the garbage Like it happened 3 times already (VHS/DVD/1080p BD). Personal choice ofc but hamstering have another big drawback... physical damage. Oh yeah you can land your user/pass for free too heck 4 ppl can split subscription like that I can watch what I want in 7 day trial or pay subscription for month then cancel it until new material shows up, etc... etc...

I used to be hamster of the highest order but then I realized it's for nothing other to loose your nerves - slowly overtime . If you have high end equipment renting physical media is probably the best choice out there. For everyday watching, streaming all the way

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk
post #29529 of 30421 Old 02-29-2020, 09:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 222 Post(s)
Quoted: 6220 Post(s)
Liked: 9043
Quote:
Originally Posted by dante1976 View Post
And in 2-3 years you'll have 8k with higher bitrates, more channels audio with even higher bitrate, wider color gamut, etc... And then your xx years of collecting can be thrown in the garbage Like it happened 3 times already (VHS/DVD/1080p BD).
Nope, I'm not made of money. UK houses are too small for 8k televisions, and 8k in the home is ludicrous for the size of screen you would need, and the cost.

Why do you think I've got a huge collection and I keep eagerly re-buying things on the next new format? I haven't, and I don't.

I realise the market is very different in America but here in the UK, yes we have Netflix and Amazon Prime for 4K HDR, but MOST TV broadcasts are SD or HD 2-channel stereo. Some HD TV channels have shut down and gone back to SD-only due to the high costs of transmission. 8k is something pushed aggressively by the TV manufacturers (instead of doing what they should be concentrating on: 12-bit 4k panels with better near-black performance and perfect uniformity without banding). Unless you're planning on rebuilding all UK houses to decent sizes which they are not currently, 8k TVs here are just preposterous.

I was being nice and said it was your choice, anyway, and explained why my choices are not the same
aaronwt, galonzo, ataneruo and 1 others like this.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
post #29530 of 30421 Old 02-29-2020, 09:23 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 7783 Post(s)
Liked: 17664
Quote:
Are you on drugs?
I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.

aaronwt and galonzo like this.

post #29531 of 30421 Old 02-29-2020, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Like it happened 3 times already (VHS/DVD/1080p BD).
You forgot one; LD. I still have some of those and a player collecting dust.
galonzo and dante1976 like this.

post #29532 of 30421 Old 02-29-2020, 09:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
Fortunately, Laser Disc is the only format I never bought anything of. I did buy VHS, then DVD, then HD DVD, then Blu-ray and now Ultra HD.
aaronwt likes this.

lujan
695 Ultra HD
737 HD
4 SD
post #29533 of 30421 Old 02-29-2020, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post
Fortunately, Laser Disc is the only format I never bought anything of. I did buy VHS, then DVD, then HD DVD, then Blu-ray and now Ultra HD.
Forgot about HD DVD. Still have some of those and a player too. Lol.
aaronwt, lujan and galonzo like this.

post #29534 of 30421 Old 02-29-2020, 10:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 583 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
You forgot betamax and SVHS. There have been a lot of failed formats.

And it strikes me that 8K might make sense in a movie theater on a huge screen and for 3D but for residential use I don't know if 8K would be a significant AV improvement. Then there are production costs, file size too big for any storage devices but a large hard drive and too much bandwidth required for home streaming.
dante1976 and mrtickleuk like this.

Anál nathrach, orth’ bháis’s bethad, do chél dénmha
Display: LG OLED 65e6p, Player: OPPO UDP-203, AVR:Yamaha TSR 7810, Streaming: Comcast 100Mbps RG6 to Cat6a, Speakers: Mains Vandersteen IIC, Center, Surrounds, Rears Klipsch
post #29535 of 30421 Old 02-29-2020, 10:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 1992 Post(s)
Liked: 636
Quote:
And in 2-3 years you'll have 8k with higher bitrates, more channels audio with even higher bitrate, wider color gamut, etc... And then your xx years of collecting can be thrown in the garbage Like it happened 3 times already (VHS/DVD/1080p BD). Personal choice ofc but hamstering have another big drawback... physical damage. Oh yeah you can land your user/pass for free too heck 4 ppl can split subscription like that I can watch what I want in 7 day trial or pay subscription for month then cancel it until new material shows up, etc... etc...

I used to be hamster of the highest order but then I realized it's for nothing other to loose your nerves - slowly overtime . If you have high end equipment renting physical media is probably the best choice out there. For everyday watching, streaming all the way

In other regions the same library is not available.

What happens when one of these streaming services can't handle the cost of running the service, or any other reason why they won't be available? There is still some material that is difficult to find on streaming services.
post #29536 of 30421 Old 02-29-2020, 11:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postmoderndesign View Post

And it strikes me that 8K might make sense in a movie theater on a huge screen and for 3D but for residential use I don't know if 8K would be a significant AV improvement. Then there are production costs, file size too big for any storage devices but a large hard drive and too much bandwidth required for home streaming.
I stayed away from betamax and SVHS as well.

lujan
695 Ultra HD
737 HD
4 SD
post #29537 of 30421 Old 02-29-2020, 11:55 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postmoderndesign View Post

Visually, on a home TV, yeah 8k would be a stretch... Until TV's routinely sell for 95" and up...?
As for the rest of what you said, technology will keep pace, no worries about that.
post #29538 of 30421 Old 02-29-2020, 01:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 583 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by wungun View Post
Visually, on a home TV, yeah 8k would be a stretch... Until TV's routinely sell for 95" and up...?
As for the rest of what you said, technology will keep pace, no worries about that.
You are correct storage, space and speed double regularly.

Anál nathrach, orth’ bháis’s bethad, do chél dénmha
Display: LG OLED 65e6p, Player: OPPO UDP-203, AVR:Yamaha TSR 7810, Streaming: Comcast 100Mbps RG6 to Cat6a, Speakers: Mains Vandersteen IIC, Center, Surrounds, Rears Klipsch
post #29539 of 30421 Old 02-29-2020, 04:15 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Nope, I'm not made of money. UK houses are too small for 8k televisions, and 8k in the home is ludicrous for the size of screen you would need, and the cost.

Why do you think I've got a huge collection and I keep eagerly re-buying things on the next new format? I haven't, and I don't.

I realise the market is very different in America but here in the UK, yes we have Netflix and Amazon Prime for 4K HDR, but MOST TV broadcasts are SD or HD 2-channel stereo. Some HD TV channels have shut down and gone back to SD-only due to the high costs of transmission. 8k is something pushed aggressively by the TV manufacturers (instead of doing what they should be concentrating on: 12-bit 4k panels with better near-black performance and perfect uniformity without banding). Unless you're planning on rebuilding all UK houses to decent sizes which they are not currently, 8k TVs here are just preposterous.

I was being nice and said it was your choice, anyway, and explained why my choices are not the same
That's exactly my point back in 2014 I was having 60tb (bought 2tb HDDs in time before flooding, was like 50$ a piece) of .iso BD rips. Reaching for disc and putting it into drive was waste of time (and "physical weariness") even back then... And then 4k/streaming kicks in so I was able to sell HDD's for good money and BD's were going for like pan of fish ;( In 2-3 years the same would happen with UHD BD's so do your math Btw Up to 65''... from a normal human being watching distance, if you can spot the difference than you need to get a life bud On bigger screens you can spot it that's for sure but even in that case you should rent them and collect I don't know, like a really good pq/personal favorite movies. Collecting everything that goes out makes no sense at all but like I said, personal preference + $$$ to spend on that would maybe justify all the hustle!? Maybe, that is. Streaming actually gives you a lot more freedom and will save you a lot of $$$ long term vise IMHO of course, everyone is free to do with their $$$ whatever they want.

Second season of Altered Carbon (Netflix) looks very very good (lots of dark scenes), Dumbo (Disney+) looks amazing too. Hunters (Prime video) looks quite good and pq overall is outstanding even in non HDR episodes. Still don't get it why they left some episodes in SDR!? Also Prime video app on Fire stick 4k looks nice but have no UHD/HDR badge compared to Vizio built in app!?

Last edited by dante1976; 02-29-2020 at 04:32 PM.
post #29540 of 30421 Old 02-29-2020, 05:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 2619 Post(s)
Liked: 2333
Quote:
Dumbo (Disney+) looks amazing too.
Unfortunately Dumbo didn't load in HDR for me on my Sony, watching with family right now.

Sent from my OnePlus 5 using Tapatalk

Living Room: Sony XBR65X930D, Sony HT-Z9F, Philips BDP7501
Bedroom: LG OLED55C6P, Denon AVR-X1300W (5.1.2), PS4 Pro, Sony UBP-X700, Chromecast Ultra
Check out my video game movie edits
post #29541 of 30421 Old 02-29-2020, 06:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:
I've been very impressed with VUDU's 4K HDR. You'd be hard-pressed to point to which is the disc version going back and forth.
[IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/eek.gif[/IMG] Are you on drugs? [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif[/IMG]

Quote:
Audio has been great as well. Disc usually has better high frequencies, but down low and VUDU hits hard. I've always been a physical media guy, but finally giving VUDU a chance a couple years ago showed me how much the gap closed. I'll buy a movie on VUDU if I don't own it and it's on sale. Usually I'll buy the 4K Blu-ray and use the digital code if I really want the movie.
You won't be keeping those discs forever due to inevitable disc rot. So...one day they'll be gone. And sure, Blu-ray's lossless audio is awesome, but honestly VUDU's DD+ sounds great. I've been impressed with streaming quality's improvements.
dante1976 and m_snow like this.
post #29542 of 30421 Old 02-29-2020, 06:28 PM

Speaking of LDs and formats long gone, awhile back I dusted off my old player and put in SW. Had to see Han shoot first again. Felt good. Like putting on your favorite pair of slippers.

Carbo, aaronwt, morphinapg and 6 others like this.

post #29543 of 30421 Old 02-29-2020, 11:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked: 237
Quote:
You won't be keeping those discs forever due to inevitable disc rot. So...one day they'll be gone. And sure, Blu-ray's lossless audio is awesome, but honestly VUDU's DD+ sounds great. I've been impressed with streaming quality's improvements.
Disc rot: I have tons of DVDs, BDs and 4K BDs over many years never had it happen yet. Lossy DD+ vs disc audio may sound similar on a sound bar but not on a really good system such as my 7.1.4 setup.
post #29544 of 30421 Old 03-01-2020, 12:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 2619 Post(s)
Liked: 2333
Altered Carbon is basically perfect reference HDR and 4K.

Sent from my OnePlus 5 using Tapatalk
helvetica bold and galonzo like this.

Living Room: Sony XBR65X930D, Sony HT-Z9F, Philips BDP7501
Bedroom: LG OLED55C6P, Denon AVR-X1300W (5.1.2), PS4 Pro, Sony UBP-X700, Chromecast Ultra
Check out my video game movie edits
post #29545 of 30421 Old 03-01-2020, 06:12 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked: 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by WynsWrld98 View Post
Disc rot: I have tons of DVDs, BDs and 4K BDs over many years never had it happen yet. Lossy DD+ vs disc audio may sound similar on a sound bar but not on a really good system such as my 7.1.4 setup.
Agreed, and the reports of rot in non-LD sources has been greatly overplayed, with LD it's a known issue, with stamped media it's a very different scenario, while we do all agree that Made on Demand and burned CD and BD's are a limited lifespan, once again those aren't stamped media.
captainbrent and mrtickleuk like this.
post #29546 of 30421 Old 03-01-2020, 07:15 AM

Mentioned: 251 Post(s)
Quoted: 4215 Post(s)
Liked: 3335
Interesting survey would be as to buying habits over the last 5 years:
Have actual disc purchases declined over the last 5 years? I know mine have.
I still have piles of normal blu-rays that remain unopened, and unviewed, after the 4Ks came out. Use to love the Walmart $4 to $8 bins - mostly, still in original wrappers. Now days, sure saves on the wallet with no longer doing all these purchases. But then, have streaming costs now sub-planted the disc purchases of former years.

UN65KS9800 - Mine
QN49Q70R / UN65HU9000 + SEK-3500U / UN75JU7100 (JS9000 Mod Mode) / UN55HU7250 with SEK-3500U (JS9000 Mod Mode) / UN40J5200AF / HiSense 40H5507 - Wife's
UN55NU8000 X 2 - my 2 kids families (or should I say adults?)
post #29547 of 30421 Old 03-01-2020, 07:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked: 885
Quote:

Even the 8K Association says that an 8K disk format is unlikely, https://www.homecinemachoice.com/con...8k-association.

With 2K intermediates common for 4K releases and 4K about the best you can scan in analog media, read film, it's going to be a long time before that 4K UHD disk will be replaced by anything remotely comparable.

Streaming is a no go for a significant portion of the population what with limited bandwidth and bandwidth caps, many of us live where getting a 10/1 DSL connection is the best we can do, then that 10/1 connection goes to **** in the evening because everyone using the same CO all try to stream at the same time.

Current system:
Sony 75X900e/Sony STR-DN-1080, CS-3/CS-8/CS5
Sony X800 4K blu-ray player/Dish Hopper3
Roku 4 Premier/Sony PS-4
post #29548 of 30421 Old 03-01-2020, 08:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked: 1508
Quote:

If all you’ve used them in is a disc player then you don’t know how bad they are. A disc player will tolerate quite a bit of errors (pun intended).

I’ve been ripping by DVD and BD collection onto my Plex and quite a few took a bit of effort to get a clean copy. One BD, which I only watched once, could not be ripped.
post #29549 of 30421 Old 03-01-2020, 08:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:
I'm not using a soundbar. I have a couple old DVDs and even my 2008 Iron Man Blu-ray has problems playing and the discs look in perfect condition and are never left out of cases. I can only guess some deterioration has started. Now I own the 4K Blu-ray and 4K VUDU copies of Iron Man.

I wouldn't be surprised that without using REW, a lot of enthusiasts will not be able to tell apart the audio being played without it being a lucky guess since it's 50/50. Video quality even harder to tell apart. I don't want physical media to die off, but that also seems inevitable. It's a digital world and most love convenience.
post #29550 of 30421 Old 03-01-2020, 10:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2011 Post(s)
Liked: 1302
Master List of currently available 4k HDR titles, will be updated often.

Is Midway worth owning? Impressions seem to be thats it’s reference quality PQ and audio, correct? I just purchased a SB-1000 and I want to give it a nice work out. Baby Driver and Ford vs Ferrari sure sounded nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ma1746 likes this.

LG65C9 & E9, XBOX ONE X, PS4PRO, APPLE 4K, SONY STRDN1070, Q Acoustics: 3010i & 3090Ci
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply High Dynamic Range (HDR) & Wide Color Gamut (WCG)

Tags
dolby vision , hdr10 , JS8500 , KS9800 , ultra hd blu-ray

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page