Do I need a 4k blu ray player or 4k HDR blu ray player? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By zworykin

post #1 of 6 Old 12-16-2016, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Do I need a 4k blu ray player or 4k HDR blu ray player?

So I just got a 4k HDR samsung a few months ago, it looks great! I have enjoyed 4k and hdr content on it, but can tell a pretty big difference between streamed 4k (with or without HDR) vs some of the 4k HDR video clips I downloaded and put on my flash drive and loaded into the TV.

This leads me to beleive to take full advantage of my tvs capabilities, I need to watch movies from blu ray. I have a standard blu ray player, but I know thats not going to cut it, and I dont want to invest into the wrong thing.

My question is, if I put a movie that is 4k HDR into a 4k blu ray, will it play in HDR on my tv? Or is there such thing as a 4k HDR blu ray player?

I know there are so few 4k HDR titles out now, but Id hate to invest into a 4k Blu ray player only to find out in a year that I need to buy one with HDR.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-16-2016, 02:03 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by husker3in4 View Post
So I just got a 4k HDR samsung a few months ago, it looks great! I have enjoyed 4k and hdr content on it, but can tell a pretty big difference between streamed 4k (with or without HDR) vs some of the 4k HDR video clips I downloaded and put on my flash drive and loaded into the TV.

This leads me to beleive to take full advantage of my tvs capabilities, I need to watch movies from blu ray. I have a standard blu ray player, but I know thats not going to cut it, and I dont want to invest into the wrong thing.

My question is, if I put a movie that is 4k HDR into a 4k blu ray, will it play in HDR on my tv? Or is there such thing as a 4k HDR blu ray player?

I know there are so few 4k HDR titles out now, but Id hate to invest into a 4k Blu ray player only to find out in a year that I need to buy one with HDR.
By all means get a 4k UHD BD player. I currently have 70 4k titles and enjoy every one of them on my Samsung UHD BD K8500 player. What model of Samsung TV did you pick up?

Marantz SR6010 Onkyo 636 Onkyo NR801
Epson 3700 Sammy 55JS7000 Sammy K8500 Toshiba HD DVD Sony UBP-X800
Fusion F15's (LCR) Fusion 8's (SS) -JBL Studio Monitor 4406 - SVS SB1000 >BIC F12 Sub
TruAudio Revolve 8" - atmos
post #3 of 6 Old 12-16-2016, 04:13 PM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked: 679
I'll get a 4k player when they'll be 50$at Walmart.

Or when they finally release a PC UHD Blu-ray player with compatible power DVD software
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 12-16-2016, 09:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

To actually answer your question--all 4k blu ray players will do HDR.
post #5 of 6 Old 12-17-2016, 06:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by zworykin View Post
To actually answer your question--all 4k blu ray players will do HDR.
Thanks a bunch, thats what I was trying to find out. So do see HDR, I need an HDR blu ray and and HDR tv. The blu ray player just needs to be 4k. That makes it simple!

So my next question, whats the best 4k player for the buck? I see some advertised and 4k players, some say 4k upscaled players. Some that are 100 and some that look like the same specs for 400.

Just for reference, I have a Samsung KS-8500 TV.

Last edited by husker3in4; 12-17-2016 at 06:11 AM.
post #6 of 6 Old 12-17-2016, 10:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Thanks a bunch, thats what I was trying to find out. So do see HDR, I need an HDR blu ray and and HDR tv. The blu ray player just needs to be 4k. That makes it simple!

So my next question, whats the best 4k player for the buck? I see some advertised and 4k players, some say 4k upscaled players. Some that are 100 and some that look like the same specs for 400.

Just for reference, I have a Samsung KS-8500 TV.
An upscaling player is not what you want--it won't be compatible with the 4K blu ray discs. The only actual UHD/4K players on the market right now (at least in the US) are the Samsung UBD-K8500, Philips BDP7501, Panasonic DMP-UB900 and Oppo UDP-203. The new Xbox One S can also play UHD blu rays, though from what I've heard it's still got some issues (I'm no expert though--I don't plan to get one, so I haven't really researched it in depth).

As for which is the best bang for the buck, I couldn't say. I've only owned the Samsung, which has been fine for me--I've ordered the Oppo to take its place, but it hasn't arrived yet (I'm switching not because the Oppo may be better for the 4K discs, but rather because I have a large collection of DVD-A and SACDs and I'd like to just have one disc player in the system. Also, it looks damn good).
richlife likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply High Dynamic Range (HDR) & Wide Color Gamut (WCG)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page