PC to HDR TV: RGB Full 8 bpc vs YCbCr422 10 bpc? - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 8Likes

post #61 of 71 Old 11-26-2017, 01:01 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 36
i have a problem to :

For a month i have a founders edition 1080 gtx , now i change to gigabyte 1080ti and download the newest nvidia driver. Now when i play battlefield 1 and go to the hdr settings then looks hdr so grey blurry !! milky grey. I dont have change my tv settings or nvidia control panel settings (YcBr 4:4:4 and 8 bit ) connection with HDMI to AVR (Anthem mrx 720 ) to the TV (Samsung 78JS9500 )
I have not installed win 10 i always use win8.1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 71 Old 12-22-2017, 04:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
For me FM7, BF1, ME:Andromeda and Assassins Creed Origins look excellent in HDR with a GTX 1080ti on a KS8000. For this I select YCbCr 4:2:0 / 12-bit / 60hz / Limited in NV control panel and the Windows HDR switch turns on automatically. Also make sure your HDR display is the main or only display. Then all I had to do was enable HDR in-game in those titles and that's it.
post #63 of 71 Old 12-27-2017, 12:08 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't seem to have a problem getting YCbCr 4:4:4 (supposedly 10 bit when turning HDR on in Windows dispplay settings) yet I can't get 4K/ 60Hz due to hardware limitations. (no HDMI 2.0)
I've checked if I'm really getting 4:4:4 using the familiar test picture and when my TV is in Windows HDR mode the TV menu indicates BT 2020, to my understanding that means 10 bit color.

Maybe the decreased bandwidth from 'only' using 4K/30 Hz makes this possible, anyone interested could easily check this I guess.
What might be more relevant is that on my LG 49SJ800V (European model ...without actual 10 bit panel ) I don't need to assign the HDMI port to PC to get YCbCr 4:4:4, this is crucial because if
the input icon is changed to PC some picture settings become unavailable, among them dynamic contrast.

I don't know which LG tv's have this but with the Youtube HDR and Windows HDR implementations it appears dynamic contrast needs to be on or the screen will be overly dark and colours washed out,
this doesn't seem to be the case with Dolby Vision. This is not really self-evident but it makes a lot of difference.

(Quick OT side question; anyone know if Displayport 1.2 specs are 'really' limited to UHD/60 Hz? Windows uses 4K as the recommended mode and this could be one of the reasons I can't get 60 Hz,
others being a lacklustre active Displayport / HDMI adapter (Hama brand) and just bad driver support from AMD)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 71 Old 12-28-2017, 04:20 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
In remark: on TV I never had pb, but with new videoprojector Acer VL7860, using GTX1070Ti, I've to switch to YCbCr 4:4:4 to get HDR synchro, in RGB extended (supported by the Acer) I've no HDR synchro (autoswich).

I spent a lot of time to understand this, assuming I never had issue previously ...

Hope this help.
post #65 of 71 Old 01-08-2018, 12:13 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hello to everyone!

Im using my sony oled a1 with a Nvidia 1050 to play hdr 4k files in Powerdvd 17 , my problem is that when i play any
of my mkv tittles in powerdvd 17 i see some jumps playing it during the film.
What can i do? Thanks in advance for all of your help

Sony XBR-55A1E Owner /Ps4 /
post #66 of 71 Old 05-17-2018, 05:47 PM

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Can annyone confirm if the LG OLED models support RGB 10 bcp at 1080p on Windows? YCbCr444 is locked to Limited range.

Last edited by KurianOfBorg; 05-18-2018 at 03:49 AM.
post #67 of 71 Old 05-17-2018, 06:08 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked: 294
YCbCr (or YUV as it's also referred to) is always limited range even in 4:4:4 mode, because that's a video signal standard. It's only RGB where one has the option of limited or full range. And so of course RGB is roughly equivalent to 4:4:4 but not exactly, RGB is potentially somewhat better but then again there's no "HDR" in RGB mode, since there is no metadata. Maybe you could sent HLG over RGB in full range, who knows.

You can't get 10-bit (HDR10) at 4K60 at 4:4:4 over HDMI 2.0a, the specs couldn't be clearer so I don't understand why people keep asking that.

4K60 gives you two main choices over HDMI 2.0a:

8-bit RGB or YCbCr 4:4:4

or

10- / 12- bit in 4:2:2 or 4:2:0

I lump the bottom two together because they aren't that different in practice, maybe a little. 12-bit certainly doesn't help much when you've got a 10-bit panel except maybe for modulating the backlight intensity or the lamp / lasers on a projector it might help things even if the display itself it only 10-bit native.

Over HDMI 1.4 you can only do 4K60 in 8-bit YCbCr 4:2:0.
post #68 of 71 Old 05-17-2018, 06:10 PM

I don't want HDR. I just want 10-bit RGB on the desktop. From all the posts I've seen, the TV only exposes 10-bit in YCbCr which is limited range.

I forgot to mention I wanted 10-bit RGB at 1080p 120 Hz. I know 4K 60 Hz is bandwidth limited to 8-bit RGB.

Last edited by KurianOfBorg; 05-17-2018 at 06:17 PM.
post #69 of 71 Old 07-10-2019, 12:56 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
All,

I am sorry if this kind of post has been done to death. There is no search function (or I couldn’t find it) so I tried reading as many posts as I can before putting this up. I went through the FAQs mentioned in the sidebar, some posts in subreddit. After all this, I still don’t think that I have a handle on this situation. I have put all the questions at the end so that Its all in one place

Summary:

So, I recently set up my HTPC (thanks to this forum for all the help) and now I am stuck in the settings hell. My current components are

• TV : LG B8 4K (cinema HDR capable) - OLED65B8PUA
  • AVR : Denon X4500h
  • HTPC : 32 Gig Ram, AMD Core 8 Processor, Windows 10 with Radeon 2060 Card being used to output Video + Audio Sound System: 7.1
  • I don’t intend to use Roku or Sling or anything else, my intention is to run everything from HTPC to TV. so basically HTPC --> AVR -->TV.
Goal: My Goal is to have the best Video and Audio quality that I can have for Movies and Music

What’s done till now:

So Here is what I have so far.. I need your opinion on what to do further or how to improve the current setting.

LG TV Settings:

• Followed the following set of settings: rtings LG B8 settings.... Set the ISF Expert (Bright Room) with Tru motion and noise reduction off, Same for ISF Expert (Dark Room) as recommended .
  • HDMI Ultra HD deep color switched on for the HDMI port connecting to AVR for HDR10 content.
Windows 10 Settings:

• Working on Window 10 v1903. Under system  Display  Windows HD Color is OFF.
Nvidia Control Panel:

Display --> Change Resolution:

• Resolution set to 4096 x 2160
  • Refresh: 60Hz Selected “use Nvidia Color Settings”
  • Desktop color depth: Highest (32-bit)
  • Output color depth: 8 bpc
  • Output color format: YCbCr420
  • Output dynamic range : limited
At 60 hz, it wont let me do 10 bpc + Full range. At 30Hz, I can get a Full Dynamic range with 10 BPC with RGB. I am assuming that Nvidia RTX 2060 HDMI don’t allow speed rate to support full range at 60Hz.

Sound Settings :

• HDMI Via Gtx 2060 sending PCM Digital signal. Set Advanced sount setting to sample the signal at 24bits, 192K hz
MadVR :

• Installed Klite Codec Pack + PotPlayer. Not sure if I should go back to MPC-BE or there is a better option.
-------------------------------------- Questions ---------------------------------
  • How to set the PC Icon .. i am reading that I have to set it to PC .. but i dont know how to do it
  • Is there any other setting that I need to check in Windows 10 ?
  • Will I get the best Movie watching experience if I leave it at YCbCr422 12 bpc(LIMITED) @30 hz or YCbCr420 8 bpc(LIMITED) @60 hz or “use default settings” while watching HDR content
  • Before I moved to RTX 2060 and had a dedicated soundcard connected to Denon AVR via TosLink/Optical. I used to get option of IMAX. Since I have moved to PCM Signal. I don’t get IMAX option on Denon AVR. I have searched everything I can.. I am not able to find whats going on.
  • Am I doing something wrong or missing a step?
post #70 of 71 Old 07-10-2019, 12:01 PM

Just run at 8-bit RGB permanently with madVR dithering. If you have Dynamic Contrast enabled then you must toggle HDR on only when needed.
post #71 of 71 Old 10-12-2019, 04:35 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello,

I have some issue with HDR on my computer game. I read a lot about all your research guys but now I'm a little confused and I don't know how to get properly HDR in my game...

I have a GTX 1070 (latest driver) WIN10 and a Samsung KS9000 monitor.

I tried a lot of things with the Nvidia control panel but there's always a probleme.

Could you please help me on that "HDR Masters" ^^
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply High Dynamic Range (HDR) & Wide Color Gamut (WCG)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page