Best 4K releases..that ARE 4k - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 12Likes
  • 1 Post By mc_avs
  • 1 Post By Jerry Bruckheimer Fan
  • 1 Post By Tu-pac
  • 1 Post By bobpaule
  • 1 Post By john barlow
  • 2 Post By john barlow
  • 1 Post By William L Carman

post #1 of 27 Old 04-23-2017, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Best 4K releases..that ARE 4k

Here is my list:
#1 LUCY
#2 The Reverent
#3 Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
#4 SICARIO
#5 Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them
#6 PASSENGERS

and last but not least,

#7 The Last Witch Hunter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 04-23-2017, 09:59 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Liked: 399
And they're 3D?
post #3 of 27 Old 04-23-2017, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter

Didn't have a category..so there!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 Old 04-23-2017, 10:03 AM

Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Liked: 399
This is the 3D section, so that's kind of an important detail to consider. If they're not 3D, this belongs in the Bluray section.
post #5 of 27 Old 04-23-2017, 10:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 2726 Post(s)
Liked: 1959
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreambo View Post
Here is my list:
#1 LUCY
#2 The Reverent
#4 SICARIO
#6 PASSENGERS

and last but not least,

#7 The Last Witch Hunter
I guess I need to revisit the Last Witch Hunter. I rented that when it came out, but I was still using Gamma D with the JVC-recommended manual adjustments, and I actually thought it was the second WORST looking UHD disc I had seen at the time (that Sony teen drama invasion silliness, 5th wave?, was, at the time, top of my WORST list).

But since then, I have gotten a custom HDR setup for the JVC, so in general things look much better and some movies that didn't perform well before look better, now.

Maybe that movie will, too.

Last edited by nathan_h; 04-23-2017 at 10:42 AM.
post #6 of 27 Old 04-23-2017, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by audacious nick View Post
This is the 3D section, so that's kind of an important detail to consider. If they're not 3D, this belongs in the Bluray section.
Always takes someone eh?
post #7 of 27 Old 05-01-2017, 10:33 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 306
Planet Earth II is 4K & definitely reference material.
King Richard likes this.

Lounge - Sony 65" A8F OLED, Pioneer SC-LX59 9.2 Receiver, Oppo UDP-203 UHD Blu-Ray Player, JBL Studio 180 Speaker Series, ELAC Debut A4 Atmos Modules setup as 5.1.4, Sony PS4 Pro, Logitech Harmony Elite. Bedroom - Samsung UA55C8000 3D LED, Sony PS3.
post #8 of 27 Old 05-02-2017, 12:30 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Here is my list:
#1 LUCY
#2 The Reverent
#4 SICARIO
#6 PASSENGERS

and last but not least,

#7 The Last Witch Hunter
Some of the movies you mentioned may have a 4K DI, but used the Arri Alexa camera, which shoots either 2.8K or 3.4K (if it's shot open gate). The DI that may be 4K was upscaled from raw footage captured at lower resolutions. Also, some of the movies use a variety of different cameras that shoot at different resolutions. For example, The Revenant was shot on the Arri Alexa and Alexa 65. The Alexa 65 footage is 6.5K but the Alexa is only 3.4K.
King Richard likes this.
post #9 of 27 Old 05-02-2017, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bruckheimer Fan View Post
Some of the movies you mentioned may have a 4K DI, but used the Arri Alexa camera, which shoots either 2.8K or 3.4K (if it's shot open gate). The DI that may be 4K was upscaled from raw footage captured at lower resolutions. Also, some of the movies use a variety of different cameras that shoot at different resolutions. For example, The Revenant was shot on the Arri Alexa and Alexa 65. The Alexa 65 footage is 6.5K but the Alexa is only 3.4K.
Then how do we all know which titles, when they say they are 4K UHD are actually 4K DI ? Be nice to buy titles that reveal the technology that was made to be the best it can be.
post #10 of 27 Old 05-02-2017, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Then how do we all know which titles, when they say they are 4K UHD are actually 4K DI ? Be nice to buy titles that reveal the technology that was made to be the best it can be.
Lol, even the info on IMDB's tech spec pages are not 100% accurate. I guess the only way to know for sure is if you're one of the directors, producers, studio execs, or key crew working in the camera, editorial, or other post-production departments for the movie.
King Richard likes this.
post #11 of 27 Old 05-03-2017, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Be nice to buy titles that reveal the technology that was made to be the best it can be.
Well, they kind of do that by listing the equipment they use at the end of the credits, in terms of what camera they used and post-production company they vendored. In the older days, if it had "Filmed with Panavision Cameras and Lenses", that meant it was shot on Super 35 format. If it said "Filmed in Panavision", it meant it was shot in anamorphic 35mm format with Panavision's proprietary anamorphic lenses. Today, if it is shot on the Arri Alexa, it'll say "Captured with Alexa" or "Filmed with Arri Camera and Lenses". It doesn't say which specific Alexa camera though (65, SXT, Plus 4:3, etc etc). Of course, Red and Sony have their own logo as well. I personally find this stuff interesting since I'm a filmmaker and trained as a Fellow at the conservatory program of the American Film Institute, where I got my master's degree. I'm probably even more of a filmmaker than an AV enthusiast. Anyway, it won't tell you whether the DI master is in 2K or 4K.
King Richard likes this.
post #12 of 27 Old 05-04-2017, 10:20 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I guess I need to pick up Lucy to test out my new P series XD. To be honest though this post shouldn't exist, shame on the movie studios for releasing UDH disks containing mere upscaled 1080p content.
post #13 of 27 Old 05-04-2017, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Hodges View Post
I guess I need to pick up Lucy to test out my new P series XD. To be honest though this post shouldn't exist, shame on the movie studios for releasing UDH disks containing mere upscaled 1080p content.
Amen. Lucy is one of the few that are true 4K from camera capture all the way to your eyeballs, assuming you have all the right equipment in between.
King Richard likes this.
post #14 of 27 Old 05-04-2017, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bruckheimer Fan View Post
Well, they kind of do that by listing the equipment they use at the end of the credits, in terms of what camera they used and post-production company they vendored. In the older days, if it had "Filmed with Panavision Cameras and Lenses", that meant it was shot on Super 35 format. If it said "Filmed in Panavision", it meant it was shot in anamorphic 35mm format with Panavision's proprietary anamorphic lenses. Today, if it is shot on the Arri Alexa, it'll say "Captured with Alexa" or "Filmed with Arri Camera and Lenses". It doesn't say which specific Alexa camera though (65, SXT, Plus 4:3, etc etc). Of course, Red and Sony have their own logo as well. I personally find this stuff interesting since I'm a filmmaker and trained as a Fellow at the conservatory program of the American Film Institute, where I got my master's degree. I'm probably even more of a filmmaker than an AV enthusiast. Anyway, it won't tell you whether the DI master is in 2K or 4K.
Thank you for your revealing commentary. Yet, for us videophiles that would like to experience the 4K technology at it's best or at least what was promised, after buying all the expensive gear, be nice to know prior to forking out $25 to $30 for the 4KUHD titles and have them as True 4K....
post #15 of 27 Old 05-04-2017, 05:08 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mc_avs View Post
Planet Earth II is 4K & definitely reference material.

Agreed. It looks stunning in 4K with HDR.
mc_avs likes this.
post #16 of 27 Old 05-14-2017, 05:38 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Fantastic Beasts was shot in sub-4k, from IMDB "derived from a 3.4K ARRIRAW source". Blu-Ray gives it a measly 2.5 for 4k PQ.

IMHO, in addition to Lucy, Passengers, and Planet Earth 2 are the three must haves to show off HDR.
john barlow likes this.

2x-Panamax-5510Pro(high/low) > Harmony-659 > Marantz-UD9004(bal.2+RCA7.1)/Panny-UB900/Pio-48AV/CM-7000PAL/Roku-Premiere+/Dell-E7450 > Marantz-AV8802A/Classé-CP700(bypass)/King-Cobra-all > Epson-LS10500/Carada-1.4/LG-27UD58 > 2xSherbourn-5/1500A 2xParasound-Zamp-v.3> Belden 10AWG/silver/gold > Paradigm-S8v.2-7.1.4(Servo15v2/P-80A)

Last edited by bobpaule; 05-14-2017 at 06:12 PM.
post #17 of 27 Old 05-14-2017, 11:49 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked: 1407
Any chance Planet Earth 2 UHD Bluray is at 60 fps?
post #18 of 27 Old 05-15-2017, 04:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1050 Post(s)
Liked: 1925
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLBURNSIDE View Post
Any chance Planet Earth 2 UHD Bluray is at 60 fps?
No chance. The master was 25fps. the UHD is 24fps.
post #19 of 27 Old 05-15-2017, 09:32 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked: 1407
I wonder why they'd change the framerate from 25 to 24, aren't all HD TVs, AVRs, etc, 25p capable natively?

Strikes me as odd, from an image quality perspective any conversion like that is a negative. (perhaps subtle but it must be).
post #20 of 27 Old 05-16-2017, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLBURNSIDE View Post
I wonder why they'd change the framerate from 25 to 24, aren't all HD TVs, AVRs, etc, 25p capable natively?

Strikes me as odd, from an image quality perspective any conversion like that is a negative. (perhaps subtle but it must be).
Eh, yeah, maybe. However, American audiences (and many other nationalities) seem to enjoy 24fps whether they're aware of it or not. Usually when you go from 24 to 25 or vice versa, it's usually the sound and pacing that becomes a concern for editors, more so than the image. If voices are recorded at the camera speed of 24fps, then speeding up to 25fps makes the voices a little more high-pitched. I've heard radio stations speed up music just a hair to increase time for ads, and sometimes you can tell because the music suffers a bit.
post #21 of 27 Old 05-26-2017, 05:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
This site may no longer be updated, but I find it useful:

http://realorfake4k.com/list/

Sony XBR-75X940D
Oppo BDP-103D
Denon X4200W
Custom UFW-15 (2)
Rocket RS850 (2), Rocket Bigfoot Center, Rocket RSS300 (2), Rocket RS250MKII (4)
post #22 of 27 Old 05-28-2017, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by paligap View Post
This site may no longer be updated, but I find it useful:

http://realorfake4k.com/list/
Thanks!
post #23 of 27 Old 05-28-2017, 12:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Quote:
Here is my list:
#1 LUCY
#2 The Reverent
#4 SICARIO
#6 PASSENGERS

and last but not least,

#7 The Last Witch Hunter
Lucy is number 1 on my list as well. Passengers is a close second and sometimes I feel passengers is better and certainly it's technically more challenging to render the video to something that is palpable to the viewer/cinema enthusiast.
Dreambo likes this.
post #24 of 27 Old 05-28-2017, 12:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Quote:
Thank you for your revealing commentary. Yet, for us videophiles that would like to experience the 4K technology at it's best or at least what was promised, after buying all the expensive gear, be nice to know prior to forking out $25 to $30 for the 4KUHD titles and have them as True 4K....
My beef is the pricing and lack of 3D disc. If movie companies would include the 3D disc with the UHD disc, sales of UHD discs would be a better value for dedicated and die hard home cinema enthusiasts. Another fly in the ointment is Atmos or DTS X Master is encoded on the UHD disc but, sometimes I prefer the 3D version over the UHD disc yet, movie companies deny consumers the more immersive soundtrack and to me it doesn't make sense. 3D Blu ray gives a palpable sense of immersion so, it should stand to reason that to accompany the 3D movie with the more immersive soundtrack makes perfect sense.
King Richard and Dreambo like this.
post #25 of 27 Old 05-29-2017, 08:59 AM

As a filmmaker, I'll just make a relatively general statement about films, cameras, and 4K. As we move to digital filmmaking and use less 35mm film, the #1 choice of camera for digital cinematography is the Arri Alexa. It is a hell of a camera. The texture, latitude, and flexibility of the ARRIRAW footage is fantastic. Of all the digital cameras, it has the most "film" look to it. In my opinion, it has the advantage in almost every aspect of image quality, is very versatile, well-built, and highly reliable/durable. Of course, there's no such thing as "the best camera", rather only different tools to tell a particular story. However, the Alexa is a hell of a camera in overall performance. Arri is also a highly trusted name in the film industry. There is only thing that the Arri Alexa doesn't have over its rival Red and Sony cameras: Pixel-count/resolution. The Alexa only shoots at 2.8K or 3.4K (if it's shot open gate), while the Red and Sony F65/F55 shoot at 4K or higher (at least 4096 pixels across). Yes, some will mention that there's also the Alexa 65 (which is a larger format version of the regular Alexa cameras) that shoots 6.5K. However, those cameras are only for rent, limited in units, and require 65/70mm XPL mount lenses to shoot. Many productions wouldn't have access to them, similar to the IMAX cameras. So, anyway, about 80-85% of Hollywood movies are shot on digital these days, and of that 80-85%, about 2/3 use the Alexa. So yeah, a lot of movies today still are being captured at resolutions below 4K and have 2K DIs.
King Richard likes this.

Last edited by Jerry Bruckheimer Fan; 05-30-2017 at 11:40 AM.
post #26 of 27 Old 06-03-2017, 08:46 PM

Another thing to be aware of is that most movie theaters using digital projection are still in 2K. I have no idea when 4K will rule the commercial digital theater projection space, if ever. So for the majority of theaters, a 2K DCP is perfectly sufficient. Right now, there's still no overwhelmingly large incentive for major Hollywood studios to be making all or even the majority of their movies with a 4K master. You have to remember that blu-rays/DVDs are a shrinking piece of the revenue pie for the movie industry, due to piracy, and perhaps streaming's proliferation. Maybe 4K blu-rays might breathe a little life back into physical home video sales for the short term, but who knows for sure what will happen in another 5 or 10 years?

An a different note, if you're shooting on 35mm film, then having a 4K film scan and 4K digital intermediate master is pretty beneficial if you're doing a film-out. If you shoot the movie in 35mm film, and then scan the negative dupe at 4K, then make an interpositive print, followed by several internegatives, followed by large amounts of release prints. Then yeah, scanning at 4K is a great place to start. If you start the negative dupe at 2K, then the image gets a bit soft by the time it reaches the release prints. Of course...how many theaters are projecting movies on film reel these days? LOL
post #27 of 27 Old 07-15-2017, 12:34 PM

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 48
?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by audacious nick View Post
WAS this the 3D section back then? Because I clicked on High Dynamic Range & Wide Color Gamut, and UHD Bluray doesn't DO 3D.
blackjackmark likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply High Dynamic Range (HDR) & Wide Color Gamut (WCG)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page