Nanosys Quantum Dots at DisplayWeek 2017 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Scott Wilkinson
  • 2 Post By Scott Wilkinson

post #1 of 12 Old 05-24-2017, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1881 Post(s)
Liked: 4909
Nanosys Quantum Dots at DisplayWeek 2017

Nanosys quantum dots continue to break new ground, including color-filter replacement, inkjet printing, and low-cadmium formulations.

https://www.avsforum.com/nanosys-quan...playweek-2017/
King Richard likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 05-25-2017, 09:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Scott, did Nanosys hint at any type of black level improvement going to the Blue LED and QDCF? The brightness increases would be fantastic and I hope these photo emissive type sets can make their way to CES 2018.

"If you weren't such an ignorant troll, you'd be adorable" -rogo
post #3 of 12 Old 05-25-2017, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmarceau View Post
Scott, did Nanosys hint at any type of black level improvement going to the Blue LED and QDCF? The brightness increases would be fantastic and I hope these photo emissive type sets can make their way to CES 2018.
I heard nothing about black-level improvement, but they did say that photo-emissive QD CFR sets could well be shown at CES 2018. They wouldn't say which companies might show them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 05-25-2017, 03:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 15
So as soon as a year from now we can be seeing displays pump out 3x the brightness and oled is capable of. Which would include a boost in contrast on the white side of the spectrum.
post #5 of 12 Old 05-25-2017, 05:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2144 Post(s)
Liked: 3235
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcjm View Post
So as soon as a year from now we can be seeing displays pump out 3x the brightness and oled is capable of. Which would include a boost in contrast on the white side of the spectrum.
This would be great for cell phone displays, anyone who has ever not been able to find shade while checking their phone could use more brightness.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #6 of 12 Old 05-25-2017, 05:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2144 Post(s)
Liked: 3235
Glad you were able to go Scott, we hardware types envy you.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #7 of 12 Old 05-25-2017, 09:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked: 325
Can't wait until we get some 90%+ Rec 2020 displays, sounds like this is a really big step in that direction.
post #8 of 12 Old 05-26-2017, 08:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked: 5406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wilkinson View Post
I heard nothing about black-level improvement, but they did say that photo-emissive QD CFR sets could well be shown at CES 2018. They wouldn't say which companies might show them.
Yeah, I don't think this has anything to do with black-levels, which is unfortunate. Looks like I'll still only be paying attention to OLED HDTVs and waiting for the right price. Speaking of which, I would love to see OLED improve with even more deep black screens to even further enhance the depth they already have. I noticed the Pioneer Kuros did this throughout their life span and my older Kuro is noticeably lighter than the last models to be released.

Last edited by SuperFist; 05-26-2017 at 08:20 AM.
post #9 of 12 Old 05-26-2017, 10:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 172
This is all still dependent on an LCD filter (50 year old tech - discovered back in 1960s by RCA). Has there been any progress on the third phase of QD where LCD gets dropped for a direct drive approach (like OLED)? An electric field (instead of light) causes QD to emit light eliminating the need for an LCD filter. Faster response times by eliminating LCD, better viewing angles as the emitter moves to the front layer, and less power as you don't have to generate light that gets filtered. Stealing OLEDs thunder.

Actually I think the second phase was to move the QD color filter to the front layer to improve viewing angles. I think that means a blue QD would be needed instead of a clear filter that passes through the blue back-light.
post #10 of 12 Old 05-26-2017, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dew42 View Post
This is all still dependent on an LCD filter (50 year old tech - discovered back in 1960s by RCA). Has there been any progress on the third phase of QD where LCD gets dropped for a direct drive approach (like OLED)? An electric field (instead of light) causes QD to emit light eliminating the need for an LCD filter. Faster response times by eliminating LCD, better viewing angles as the emitter moves to the front layer, and less power as you don't have to generate light that gets filtered. Stealing OLEDs thunder.

Actually I think the second phase was to move the QD color filter to the front layer to improve viewing angles. I think that means a blue QD would be needed instead of a clear filter that passes through the blue back-light.
Using electrical stimulation to cause QDs to glow—the "direct-drive" approach you mention that is more technically called "electro-emissive"—is certainly under development, but I was told that it's several years away from commercialization. Also, I've been told by Nanosys that in color-filter replacement, the blue subpixel uses a clear filter that lets the LED backlight's blue light through; it's not blue QD.
dew42 and King Richard like this.
post #11 of 12 Old 05-26-2017, 11:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:
Using electrical stimulation to cause QDs to glow—the "direct-drive" approach you mention that is more technically called "electro-emissive"—is certainly under development, but I was told that it's several years away from commercialization. Also, I've been told by Nanosys that in color-filter replacement, the blue subpixel uses a clear filter that lets the LED backlight's blue light through; it's not blue QD.
My understanding is the clear filter works when you are only interested in providing separate RGB colors to the subpixels. This is still first phase QD. To fix the viewing angle you need to move the light emitter from the back layer to the front layer - as close as possible to the front of the screen. When the back-light hits the quantum dot it acts as an emitter (re-emitter?). Moving the color filter to the front layer (in front of the LCD filter) fixes viewing angles for red and green but not blue as blue is still at the back layer. This is where a blue QD is needed. Not to create blue light but to move the emitter to the front layer for the blue subpixel.
post #12 of 12 Old 05-30-2017, 02:23 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Dear Scott,

I think we can except a black-level improvement in a passive way ( if the set can reach 3000 nits, but we display only 1000 nits it is the equivalent we bring down brightness with the same nit output ). Did any info if the sets will be commercially available for 2018 ?

PS :. It is pretty clear that the "announcement " is Samsung
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply High Dynamic Range (HDR) & Wide Color Gamut (WCG)

Tags
hdr , nanosys , quantum dots , wcg

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page