Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 is Disney's First Ultra HD Blu-ray Title - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 72Likes

post #31 of 73 Old 07-07-2017, 01:03 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizban19 View Post
Sorry to hear that you are not impressed with 4K UHD titles. The main reason in my opinion is your TV lacks HDR support. Most people will tell you that the addition of HDR has more benefits than the upgrade to 4K. Even 1080P with HDR might be better than 4K without HDR......HDR is where you will see the major differences on most UHD titles (vs. blu ray). Most 4K TV's today, especially your Sony, will do a great job of upconverting 1080P blu rays to 4K. The upconverted blu ray might look just as good as a 4K disc without HDR. If you want to get the full benefit of 4K, whether from discs or streaming, you will need to upgrade to a TV that handles HDR (one that supports HDR and Dolby Vision would be even better).
Specifically, I am not impressed with the glut of many "fake" 4K UHD titles, although I do understand some of the reasoning into why the studios chose to do it this way, especially due to most CG being rendered at 2K and not 4K. Blending 2K CG and ~4K live footage can get messy looking if not done right, which leaves one with a choice of upscaling from a 2K DI as the least common denominator. Rendering special effects in 4K would take longer and require a deeper investment in the CG houses' rendering farms, and in time I might assume this will happen by default, but in the meantime the studios only have the legacy content they have to work with, and I doubt many movies will be re-rendered in 4K and re-released to satisfy the proportionately fewer quality aficionados like ourselves here.

Also, I need to stress that actual genuine 4K content looks fantastic on my current TV and that I do love the increased resolution and clarity.

Otherwise, I agree that the addition of HDR is often more relevant than the possible increase in resolution, but I'll still take the pristine 3D capability of my current TV over 4K / HDR anything any day.

In the longer term, I can only hope that the TV manufacturers develop better technology to deliver excellent passive 3D (like I have now) *AND* sufficiently satisfactory HDR in the same television display, and make it an 8K set so we can finally get passive 3D in 4K. That's where my future dollars are aimed and until then I have virtually no desire to replace my current TV. Of course, in reality, I'm painfully aware that someday my TV will break and I may not be able to replace it with another 3D model unless the industry finally returns to its senses.

Anyhoo, back on topic... Yes, add me to the list of people who would like to see a GotG 2 home release with both a nice 3D blu-ray transfer and a real 4K UHD disc in one package. However, knowing Disney's general policy of milking their fanbase for every last cent, I have little confidence that will happen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 73 Old 07-07-2017, 01:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixel Dude View Post
This is welcome news indeed as long as Disney doesn't resort to the fake 4K upscaling nonsense that some other studios have resorted to. So far UHD has been a disappointment given the dozen or so 4K blu-ray discs I have bought, over half of which look barely any better than the 1080p blu-ray, if at all. Since my spectacular 2013 model Sony 65" 3D TV XBR-65X900A doesn't support HDR, I was honestly and naively expecting UHD disc playback to look even better than compressed 2160p content on Netflix/Amazon/Vudu/YouTube, but to date that has rarely happened with the glut of fake 4K movies being released by the studios. It's really not a good intro for the medium in that regard. As it is, network broadcasters are looking to implement HDR before 4K, so the reliance of slapping the HDR and Dolby Atmos logos on the packaging under the fraudulent 4K Ultra HD label is just ridiculous to push a combined product package. Yes, I understand that most CG is still rendered at 2K due to time and cost constraints, and that actors don't want you to be able to count their facial hairs, but about half of the 4K blu-ray discs released to date are either not true 4K at all or else have blended elements depending on the scene.

Having said that, I will be buying GotG 2 on 3D blu-ray, as I'll take the sheer dimensional beauty of 3D over 4K every time, although I would love to have both at once. (This would require an 8K passive 3D TV, which does not exist yet on the market.) The unforgivable idiocy of some studios to discontinue 3D disc releases in the United States is at least still frequently overcome with a little patience and simply ordering them from Amazon UK, as I continue to do.

As for the 3D blu-ray releases of the Star Wars films The Force Awakens and Rogue One, I was elated to be able to buy them stateside when they came out and had no major gripes with the transfer. Of course, we can all dream that someday all action films will have the pristine native 3D quality of Avatar, but until then, the significant improvements in post-production 3D conversion over the past five years will have to do. I'm still loving my 3D TV!!!
Well, I have a 65" Samsung 4K TV with HDR (600 nit) and now the new Epson 4K HDR projector (HC 4000). There is no doubt you may be disappointing if you are just running 4K and no HDR. With a 65" TV, you really are not getting that much benefit with 4K at all unless you are sitting 4 feet from the screen. Even with my 133" screen, 4K is noticeable, but not really that great over regular HD unless I go stand close to the screen.

What you are missing is HDR and some of the movies I have seen in HDR are breath taking. Movies such as Secario.

In my opinion 4K is ok, nothing compared in any way from going from SD to HD, the good stuff is in the HDR.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" -Arthur C. Clarke

Last edited by tleavit; 07-07-2017 at 01:42 PM.
post #33 of 73 Old 07-07-2017, 01:48 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Great to see that GotG 2 is releasing in 4K, hopefully the rest of the Disney catalog gets the 4K HDR treatment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 73 Old 07-07-2017, 09:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvLee View Post
I'm gonna have my popcorn ready for when the disc comes out in case it doesn't have Dolby Vision and/or Atmos, just for all the posts about how Disney is screwing the director (never mind that the directors work for Disney, not the other way around), the fans too and that it's all a conspiracy to force people to doubledip on an enhanced version down the road.
It's not a conspiracy, it's business.

I could see your point except for three things... Disney owns Lucasfilm now who was always at the forefront of A/V tech. Is it too much to ask to restore the franchise to it's former glory? They were the spec trend setters; the first to get theaters to install "surround" sound.

+ Disney did pay to have the original trilogy scanned @ 4k 16 bit color depth. They are waiting for the right moment to release, but that didn't stop them from re-releasing the bluray with the exact same specs as the last bluray release prior to the acquisition.

Lastly the prices of all their discs are out of this world... 25 to 30 bucks for a 3D bluray... some of which force you to purchase the "collector's edition" like they did with Rogue One just to get 3D. If you try to purchase older marvel films used it's useless... you might save a couple bucks to buy a disc. I guess that's a good thing if you like to retain value in your collection, but bad for bargain hunters who could pick up a copy of 2001 space Odyssey used for 4.99 $.
post #35 of 73 Old 07-08-2017, 05:35 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 38
post #36 of 73 Old 07-08-2017, 06:03 AM
mnc
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked: 626
Bring on Star Wars UHD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NHT speakers, Denon 4520, DUAL PSA XS30SE's, ATV4K, 75X940E, UBPX700
post #37 of 73 Old 07-08-2017, 07:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnc View Post
Bring on Star Wars UHD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
not until 2020, and even then Fox has to allow Disney to distribute the original as they still have those rights in perpetuity,given the marvel(kevin feige) 'we(I) want everything back' mentality it may not happen

but back on topic;
this better not screw up the collector sets for each phase, i want 4k but dont want to have to chose between the set or 4k

pcm=potato
bitstream=patato
post #38 of 73 Old 07-09-2017, 02:25 AM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
I'll take the sheer dimensional beauty of 3D over 4K every time, although I would love to have both at once. (This would require an 8K passive 3D TV, which does not exist yet on the market.) The unforgivable idiocy of some studios to discontinue 3D disc releases in the United States is at least still frequently overcome with a little patience and simply ordering them from Amazon UK, as I continue to do.
I totally agree I'll always take 3D over 4K. No 3D no sale.
post #39 of 73 Old 07-09-2017, 02:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 756 Post(s)
Liked: 223
Glad to hear this.....I can cancel my boycott of Disney now.
King Richard likes this.

JVC NX5 Panasonic UB820 PC Madvr
Sliver Ticket 120' Cinema white screen
Aggressive 1299 L/C/R/, Volt 10XL x 2 surround, MKII Atmos Modules x 4(Jav's build)
Pioneer Elite SC-LX801 Acurus A125x5
Ported Primate SI 18" HST subs x 2(DIY) V.B.S.S.x 4(MBM)
post #40 of 73 Old 07-09-2017, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxp91 View Post
post #41 of 73 Old 07-09-2017, 03:42 PM

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTHX View Post
I don't believe this to be true. Dolby has the patents and controls the licensing.

Tomorrowland (which was Disney) was the first Dolby Vision release in May of 2015.
Nice to see that someone is actually doing some research before posting !
PeterTHX likes this.
post #42 of 73 Old 07-09-2017, 06:42 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 240 Post(s)
Quoted: 5472 Post(s)
Liked: 4972
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexgen76 View Post
Glad to hear this.....I can cancel my boycott of Disney now.
Your boycott worked.
Montucky and King Richard like this.
post #43 of 73 Old 07-09-2017, 09:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1239 Post(s)
Liked: 757
Woot! Finally Disney! Let's hope they get a move on after that and start making up for lost time not releasing! Force Awakens and Rogue One UHD discs anyone
mnc likes this.
post #44 of 73 Old 07-10-2017, 06:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 776 Post(s)
Liked: 763
This is great news indeed! I hope this is an indicator of things to come. Looking forward to upgrading my existing Disney/Pixar/Star Wars collections on Kaleidescape!
[shameless plug for Kscape, but it is so sweet getting to pay for just the upgrade and not having to purchase the entire thing all over again to bump up each time from SD to HD to UHD]
post #45 of 73 Old 07-10-2017, 10:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked: 299
This is the title I'm most looking forward to seeing at home in UHD and HDR. I was one of the lucky folks to see GOTGv2 in a Dolby Cinema and the HDR and wider color was AMAZING! Spectral highlights were fantastic. This one will be a real treat at home. Now to save up my pennies, nickels, and dimes to finally buy a UHD BD player. :-\
CaptinCrunch likes this.

---
Striving to live life in high dynamic range and ultra high definition.
Samsung UN65JS8500 / Denon AVR-X4000 / 5.1 w/ Mixed Speakers / Oppo UDP-203 / TiVo Premiere XL / Apple TV (3rd gen) / Fire TV (1st gen) / Xbox 360 R2-D2 Edition
KC area / Father of 4 / Husband / Video Producer / Skeptic
post #46 of 73 Old 07-11-2017, 06:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoNut View Post
This is the title I'm most looking forward to seeing at home in UHD and HDR. I was one of the lucky folks to see GOTGv2 in a Dolby Cinema and the HDR and wider color was AMAZING! Spectral highlights were fantastic. This one will be a real treat at home. Now to save up my pennies, nickels, and dimes to finally buy a UHD BD player. :-\
I'm fortunate to have a Dolby Cinema in my area as well, and I'm addicted to it...lol

Movies Seen so far..

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol.2
Cars 3
Transformers The Last Night
Spider-man Homecoming

can't wait for the next!!

Sony 75X900F / MediaLight Quad 6500K
Sony X800
Denon X4400H / Outlaw 5000 (5.2.4 Atmos) AIRCOM T9
Klipsch RF-82 II, Klipsch RC-62 II, Klipsch RS-52 II, Klipsch RP-500SA
SVS PB-3000 x2
post #47 of 73 Old 07-11-2017, 07:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 776 Post(s)
Liked: 763
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptinCrunch View Post
I'm fortunate to have a Dolby Cinema in my area as well, and I'm addicted to it...lol

Movies Seen so far..

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol.2
Cars 3
Transformers The Last Night
Spider-man Homecoming

can't wait for the next!!
Lucky dog! Being in the sticks of Montana, I have yet to go to a commercial theater with 4K/HDR/Atmos/Etc. Thank God for home theater tech!
post #48 of 73 Old 07-11-2017, 10:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 140
The Fifth Element 4K release is today & Guardians Galaxy soon, awesome!
CaptinCrunch likes this.

Last edited by ingramba; 07-11-2017 at 10:54 AM.
post #49 of 73 Old 07-11-2017, 11:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by ingramba View Post
The Fifth Element 4K release is today & Guardians Galaxy soon, awesome!
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 on Blu-ray, and UHD 4K, (August 22nd)
ingramba likes this.

Sony 75X900F / MediaLight Quad 6500K
Sony X800
Denon X4400H / Outlaw 5000 (5.2.4 Atmos) AIRCOM T9
Klipsch RF-82 II, Klipsch RC-62 II, Klipsch RS-52 II, Klipsch RP-500SA
SVS PB-3000 x2
post #50 of 73 Old 07-12-2017, 01:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSCTripleAgent View Post
Glad to hear this, finally. Now, can we get 3D and UHD without having to buy twice?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUPC View Post
cmon bestbuy steel book with 4k and 3d....
Quote:
This is welcome news indeed as long as Disney doesn't resort to the fake 4K upscaling nonsense that some other studios have resorted to. So far UHD has been a disappointment given the dozen or so 4K blu-ray discs I have bought, over half of which look barely any better than the 1080p blu-ray, if at all. Since my spectacular 2013 model Sony 65" 3D TV XBR-65X900A doesn't support HDR, I was honestly and naively expecting UHD disc playback to look even better than compressed 2160p content on Netflix/Amazon/Vudu/YouTube, but to date that has rarely happened with the glut of fake 4K movies being released by the studios. It's really not a good intro for the medium in that regard. As it is, network broadcasters are looking to implement HDR before 4K, so the reliance of slapping the HDR and Dolby Atmos logos on the packaging under the fraudulent 4K Ultra HD label is just ridiculous to push a combined product package. Yes, I understand that most CG is still rendered at 2K due to time and cost constraints, and that actors don't want you to be able to count their facial hairs, but about half of the 4K blu-ray discs released to date are either not true 4K at all or else have blended elements depending on the scene.

Having said that, I will be buying GotG 2 on 3D blu-ray, as I'll take the sheer dimensional beauty of 3D over 4K every time, although I would love to have both at once. (This would require an 8K passive 3D TV, which does not exist yet on the market.) The unforgivable idiocy of some studios to discontinue 3D disc releases in the United States is at least still frequently overcome with a little patience and simply ordering them from Amazon UK, as I continue to do.

As for the 3D blu-ray releases of the Star Wars films The Force Awakens and Rogue One, I was elated to be able to buy them stateside when they came out and had no major gripes with the transfer. Of course, we can all dream that someday all action films will have the pristine native 3D quality of Avatar, but until then, the significant improvements in post-production 3D conversion over the past five years will have to do. I'm still loving my 3D TV!!!

-------------------------

Sony XBR-65X900A 3D 4K TV
Yamaha RX-A3060 AVR
Sony UBP-X800 3D 4K Blu-ray player
Roku Ultra 4K player
Amazon Fire TV 4K player
Sony FMP-X10 4K player
B&W speakers (2 x 683 front, 2 x 685 side, CMC center, 2 x M1 rear)
REL T-9 subwoofer
AudioQuest Carbon HDMI cables
AudioQuest NRG-4 power cable (AVR)
AudioQuest NRG-2 power cable (subwoofer)
AudioQuest X-2 speaker cables
AudioQuest Boxer subwoofer cable
AudioQuest Cinnamon Ethernet cables
AudioQuest Vodka Toslink cable (to HTPC)
(for playback via JRiver Media Center of 24-bit downloads and uncompressed CD rips using dBpoweramp)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknomedic View Post
Arg.... Sounds like a separate 4K and 3D release... Is it really too much to ask to have a 4K/3D combo?

Want to have a 2D blu ray?.... Then let the 3D blu ray have the 2D option... Simple.
your prayers have been answered. If you purchase from Best Buy pre-order there is a 4k version that includes the 3D bluray... though it costs 5 bucks more than standard UHD disc... I just bought it even though I don't have a 4k set. I figure I may as well future proof a tad:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/guardian...?skuId=5904801

I think this is the only retail chain selling this package. It's possible target might update their site as I see 2 different UHD editions... a little confusing.
post #51 of 73 Old 07-12-2017, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aras_Volodka View Post
your prayers have been answered. If you purchase from Best Buy pre-order there is a 4k version that includes the 3D bluray... though it costs 5 bucks more than standard UHD disc... I just bought it even though I don't have a 4k set. I figure I may as well future proof a tad:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/guardian...?skuId=5904801

I think this is the only retail chain selling this package. It's possible target might update their site as I see 2 different UHD editions... a little confusing.
Thanks for the heads up. I did just also pre-order it, but I'll believe it when I see it. Hopefully this doesn't go down the sad route that the latest Underworld and Resident Evil movies did, as the 3D / 4K combo was listed for ages on the Best Buy website right up until it didn't exist at release date. I ended up ordering both of those films in 3D from Amazon UK.
King Richard likes this.
post #52 of 73 Old 07-12-2017, 05:26 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFMike View Post
I totally agree I'll always take 3D over 4K. No 3D no sale.
I'm the opposite. I think 3D is lame. I'll take 4k HDR and leave those awful glasses in the drawer....
Threefiddie likes this.
post #53 of 73 Old 07-12-2017, 10:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinGA View Post
I'm the opposite. I think 3D is lame. I'll take 4k HDR and leave those awful glasses in the drawer....
Sorry to hear your display is not up to par. 3D on my set is fantastic.
post #54 of 73 Old 07-12-2017, 11:46 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
WHAT!? The link you posted states quite clearly it's a 4k DI.

Cinematographic Process Digital Intermediate (4K) (master format)
Dolby Vision
Redcode RAW (8K) (source format)

That puts it back on my "buy" list.
post #55 of 73 Old 07-12-2017, 11:50 AM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Someone must have edited it

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Pixel Dude likes this.
post #56 of 73 Old 07-12-2017, 12:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by SinGA View Post

3D lame? You walk around with an eyepatch?

My opinions do not reflect the policies of my company
post #57 of 73 Old 07-12-2017, 04:22 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm so excited Best Buy is packaging the 4K and 3D together!!!!
post #58 of 73 Old 07-12-2017, 08:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnty View Post
WHAT!? The link you posted states quite clearly it's a 4k DI.

Cinematographic Process Digital Intermediate (4K) (master format)
Dolby Vision
Redcode RAW (8K) (source format)

That puts it back on my "buy" list.
Quote:
Someone must have edited it

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
yeah, rxp91 isn't lying, I clicked his link before and it absolutely said 2k, someone just recently edited it. Its possible the IMDB was wrong and as a result of the talk of the UHD bluray someone realized the error and had it fixed. I just can't believe they would have gone to all the trouble of filming in 8k, then reducing the whole thing to a 2k master, it would be a huge waste of time/effort/money. Civil War used 4k Imax cameras in part. I'm pretty sure Marvel moved to 4k with Phase 3(finally), Dr Strange and Civil War both say 4k master DI.
post #59 of 73 Old 07-13-2017, 06:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Pre-ordered the 3D/4K combo from Best Buy as well. I have started buying 4K movies over 3D even though I love 3D movies. With no major TV companies making 3D televisions any more and wanting to upgrade to a 4K HDR TV sooner than later, I can't justify getting 3D over 4K discs. I'm glad Sony packages their 3D and 4K discs into a single purchase.

I have the same TV as @Pixel Dude (65X900A). Jumped the gun at the time on the 4K TV purchase, but when I heard that it was true 1080p passive 3D, I bought it. At that time, I had never heard of HDR or DV (this was in Spring 2014). It does present a great 3D image, and one of my favorites in that regard is the first Guardians of the Galaxy. So for that reason alone, and in the hopes of an equally-as-impressive 3D transfer with the sequel, I can justify the extra expense for the combo pack from Best Buy at $35. (And actually hope that it drops to $30 by the time it releases.)
Pixel Dude likes this.

Xbox/PS/WiiU gamertag: GoNats
Apple Game Center: iGoNats

post #60 of 73 Old 07-13-2017, 08:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1852 Post(s)
Liked: 1116
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocedeg View Post
Nice to see that someone is actually doing some research before posting !
Oh, please! I just forgot. I just recently watched a YouTube video about Dolby Cinema/Vision and Jungle Book.

Sent from my 5054N using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply High Dynamic Range (HDR) & Wide Color Gamut (WCG)

Tags
guardians of the galaxy , ultra hd blu-ray

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page