Will Samsung and Panasonic succumb to the Dark Side - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
View Poll Results: Which HDR Formats will be supported by your next equipment purchase
HDR10 only 3 1.95%
HDR10/HDR10+ 23 14.94%
HDR10/Dolby Vision 61 39.61%
HDR10/HDR10+/Dolby Vision 67 43.51%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
 46Likes

post #31 of 158 Old 10-14-2017, 01:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Liked: 1120
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbilgihan View Post
Most HDR10 content is graded to 1000 (every title on UHD BD is required to have an HDR 10 grade in the spec) nits and he pulsar is 4000 nits only in HD resolution. The majority of HDR displays on the market can barely reach 800 nits so dynamic tone mapping in the HDR10 space seems to be a necessity.
Pulsar isn't the only 4000 nit grading display, from what I read it doesn't matter if it's a 1080p display. It's true, that most content is graded on the Sony BVM 300 @ 1000 nits, but like I said there is content graded in the 4000 nits range, the question is, does it matter to you whether or not your display is properly tone mapping for that content.

Sent from my XR6P10 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 158 Old 10-18-2017, 09:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Good News for Dynamic Metadata on Discs

https://www.avsforum.com/deluxe-now-offers-dolby-vision-authoring/

Deluxe Now Offers Dolby Vision Authoring by Scott Wilkinson
Quote:
Market-research firm Futuresource Consulting predicts that sales of UHD Blu-ray players will increase 148% in 2017 over last year, and sales of UHD TVs to grow 38%. I expect Dolby Vision to be incorporated into many of those products, so I’m gladto see that Dolby has approved the Deluxe workflow for Dolby Vision authoring.This should greatly increase the number of DV titles in the marketplace.

Quote:
Deluxe Distribution President Walter Schonfeld said, "Content providers turn to Deluxe because we have a complete infrastructure to support them in delivering the highest quality entertainment experiences. We've collaborated closely with Dolby and leading commercial tool providers Scenarist and Ateme to develop and perfect our workflow – which is backed by the world's top compression and authoring experts, global facilities covering four time zones, 99.9% on-time delivery and a world wide operation that masters more than 4500UHD Blu-ray,Blu-ray and DVD SKUs per year. We're pleased to extend that to now include approved Dolby Vision UHD Blu-ray capability."

If the flood gates truly open now for Dolby Vision Discs, it will certainly put great pressure on Samsung and Panasonic.

"Death, where is thy sting"

Gelda “Know what is hidden…the dragon”

Alita “I know who my enemy is”
post #33 of 158 Old 10-18-2017, 10:04 PM

Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Give it up, guy.

1. The floodgates have not opened and will never open. No studio has fully supported DV on disc, and they won't at any point in the future.

2. No one at Samsung or Panasonic want this format and its grey letterbox bars to infect their products.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 158 Old 10-22-2017, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lineproduct View Post
Give it up, guy.

1. The floodgates have not opened and will never open. No studio has fully supported DV on disc, and they won't at any point in the future.

2. No one at Samsung or Panasonic want this format and its grey letterbox bars to infect their products.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dinile swing.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	8.2 KB
ID:	2303064

post #35 of 158 Old 10-24-2017, 10:21 PM - Thread Starter

Huawei and Dolby Laboratories Announce World’s First Dolby Vision-enabled Set-top Box

http://www.huawei.com/en/news/2017/10/Dolby-Vision-enabled-Set-top-Box-IPTV
Quote:
“Providing ourcustomers with a spectacular HDR entertainment experience at home is a priorityfor Huawei,” said, Guipei Chen, Vice President, Huawei Video Domain. “Workingwith Dolby to incorporate Dolby Vision into our set-top box product allows usto enable IPTV content providers to deliver content with dramatic imaging,incredible brightness, breathtaking contrast, and a fuller range of colors toDolby Vision enabled TVs.”

post #36 of 158 Old 10-26-2017, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

Thumbs up Determining native gamma curve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penton-Man View Post
tyler, good job yesterday presenting at smpte conf, scroll down -

"The second morning presentation “Proposed Measured Display Characterization File for HDR Consumer Displays,” by Tyler Pruitt of SpectralCal in Seattle, Wash., examined a method that bypasses high dynamic range during calibration to determine the native gamma curve of a consumer display.

HDR masters in almost all cases have a higher performance than consumer TVs, said Pruitt. At the same time, there is a major display performance delta between the highest-quality HDR consumer TV and the lowest. This requires color mapping in many cases to preserve the creative intent of the content producer. Some of the approaches include static metadata that accompanies content, dynamic metadata and in higher-end displays GPUs and CPUs that analyze frames in real time.

However, most content is viewed on lower-end, less costly sets that do not include these processors, he said. So, the challenge is finding out how to make those sets more accurate. At the same time, any calibration method should not interfere with the algorithms TV manufacturers use to optimize the performance of their panels, said Pruitt.

“If we start adjusting stuff after [the TV manufacturer’s color mapping] happens we are essentially deviating from what the picture-quality engineers at the TV manufacturers have decided is the correct tone map,” he explained. What Pruitt proposed is disabling all HDR mapping and conversion to gamma during calibration. That way, the panel would be measured in its HDR mode with its native gamma response, he said.

In response to a question following his presentation, Pruitt said: “Most of these color management [modes in the set] are done with a 3x3 matrix, and they just put it to unity and give you the panel native vivid mode,” said Pruitt. “Put your 3x3 matrix that controls the color gamut into unity, and let’s measure what the actual primaries are,” Pruitt said. Then a consumer set can feed that data back to itself and calculate a new 3x3 matrixes from the actual measured data rather than an average of all panels, he said.

Describing this method as “radical process” for calibrating HDR, Pruitt said this technique would be appropriate for home theater displays, televisions and theater projectors. He urged SMPTE to take up the proposal for standardization.”

Just another indication that HDR is in its infancy and that it will only get better in the future. Also the importance of a properly calibrated display and the need for dynamic metadata on lower end displays.

post #37 of 158 Old 10-27-2017, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter

A follow up post

Proposal for HDRCalibration at SMPTE 2017 by Scott Wilkinson on October 27, 2017

https://www.avsforum.com/proposal-hdr-calibration-smpte-2017/
Quote:
SpectraCal has developed a similar system with LG for Dolby Vision, and it hopes to do the same thing for HDR10 and other HDR formats with the rest of the industry. I strongly recommend that all display makers heed this proposal and work toward a standard that brings the order and stability of SDR calibration to the HDR world.

Looks like a + for Dolby Vision.

post #38 of 158 Old 10-27-2017, 08:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked: 386
I voted HDR10/HDR10+. My equipment purchase just arrived this morning -- $70 Amazon Fire TV -- with HDR10 and HDR10+ (and Atmos). So that explains my vote. [Correction: Actually, I don't have a good reason for thinking that the Fire TV will accept streamed HDR10+ video.]

My sentimental favorite had been Dolby Vision, since Dolby got the ball rolling on this HDR thing, but so far I haven't seen hide nor hair of DV (though I know equipment and source exists, I don't have it). So I am beginning to doubt that DV is going to make it, unless perhaps it turns out to deliver a markedly better picture than HDR10+.

Greg Lee

Last edited by GregLee; 10-28-2017 at 02:23 AM.
post #39 of 158 Old 10-27-2017, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter

Thumbs up It's all good

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregLee View Post
I voted HDR10/HDR10+. My equipment purchase just arrived this morning -- $70 Amazon Fire TV -- with HDR10 and HDR10+ (and Atmos). So that explains my vote.

My sentimental favorite had been Dolby Vision, since Dolby got the ball rolling on this HDR thing, but so far I haven't seen hide nor hair of DV (though I know equipment and source exists, I don't have it). So I am beginning to doubt that DV is going to make it, unless perhaps it turns out to deliver a markedly better picture than HDR10+.

Thanks for the explanation of your vote.

post #40 of 158 Old 10-27-2017, 09:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregLee View Post
I voted HDR10/HDR10+. My equipment purchase just arrived this morning -- $70 Amazon Fire TV -- with HDR10 and HDR10+ (and Atmos). So that explains my vote.

What makes you think HDR10+

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Tapatalk
DanBa likes this.
post #41 of 158 Old 10-28-2017, 02:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisplayCalNoob View Post
What makes you think HDR10+
After reviewing my reverences, actually I don't think that any more. The new Amazon Fire does do HDR, and Amazon video will stream HDR10+ video soon, but it doesn't follow that the Fire TV device will accept the HDR10+ video that Amazon streams. But it's still possible, I suppose.

My mistake.
DanBa likes this.

Greg Lee
post #42 of 158 Old 10-28-2017, 10:54 PM - Thread Starter

Thumbs up Netflix looks to Dolby Laboratories for an added edge in the streaming wars

http://www.news.com.au/technology/home-entertainment/tv/netflix-looks-to-dolby-laboratories-for-an-added-edge-in-the-streaming-wars/news-story/1abe954e337a6771bb33632eedb3b860

Quote:
The company says it will spend $7.8 billion on developing original content this financial year and a further $1.3 billion on the tech side of things.
Quote:

Part of that is a recently announced partnership with Dolby Laboratories to produce flagship content capable of being played in the company’s stellar high-dynamic range video format, Dolby Vision, as well as being mixed in Dolby Atmos, amultidimensional surround-sound technique that is object-based, rather than channel-based. Essentially, it’s about as good as TV can look and sound.

Dolby’s twin technologies are revolutionising the home theatre experience and the streaming giant believes adding the immersive Dolby Atmos surround sound format to its repertoire gives it a serious edge against rivals.

Netflix also hopes the partnership with Dolby will help it attract big-name directors and writers to the platform by promising new tools to enhance creative story telling.

As competition increases in the streaming video-on-demand market, services are rolling out 4K, high-dynamic range (HDR) video support but Netflix is the first service to partner with Dolby, which has been a player in Hollywood for decades.

You will need a TV, audio equipment and Netflix platform that supports Dolby — which in the past hasn’t been easy to find — but as more TVs and devices become compactable Dolby Vision, it means users can get top notch picture quality without breaking the bank.

It really enables greatpicture on TVs that cost a lot less money than the really amazing flagshipTVs,” Mr Smith said.

post #43 of 158 Old 10-28-2017, 11:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Looks like Netflix has no plans of supporting HDR10+.

post #44 of 158 Old 10-29-2017, 06:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Would you like some metadata with your grain?
post #45 of 158 Old 10-29-2017, 06:18 PM

Imagine the saltiness in this thread when Netflix starts supporting HDR10+ and the number of UHD discs supporting HDR10+ surpasses the number of DV discs. With a laughable 19 DV discs, it won't take long for HDR10+ to pull ahead.
post #46 of 158 Old 10-29-2017, 06:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Imagine the saltiness in this thread when Netflix starts supporting HDR10+ and the number of UHD discs supporting HDR10+ surpasses the number of DV discs. With a laughable 19 DV discs, it won't take long for HDR10+ to pull ahead.
Yeah, because the first UHD disc were at massive amounts. So much available content, worthwhile content to. You are so winning this battle between you and Dolby Labs.

video_analysis likes this.
post #47 of 158 Old 10-30-2017, 11:58 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 147
I want it all, so I voted for the one that does the most...

Seggers
StayingSalty likes this.

Sony XBR-85X900F, Oppo 203 UHD, Denon X6300H, Emotiva UPA5 (triggered), Wharfedale Pacific Evo 40s, CS, 10s, PC DX12 sub, Def Tech A60 Atmos tops, the internet and a Nvidia Shield. There's also a Wii, but we don't talk about that...
post #48 of 158 Old 10-31-2017, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter

Thumbs up Follow up to “Netflix looks to Dolby Laboratories for an added edge in …wars” post

Dolby Demonstrates ICtCp Color Model at SMPTE 2017

https://www.avsforum.com/dolby-demonstrates-ictcp-color-model-smpte-2017/

Quote:
As I mentioned earlier, YCbCr is used in virtually all consumer video at this point. The only exception I know of is Netflix, which uses ICtCp for its Dolby Vision titles.

Another positive for Dolby Vision and those who really want the BEST picture they can afford.

post #49 of 158 Old 10-31-2017, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StayingSalty View Post
Dolby Demonstrates ICtCp Color Model at SMPTE 2017

https://www.avsforum.com/dolby-demonstrates-ictcp-color-model-smpte-2017/

Another positive for Dolby Vision and those who really want the BEST picture they can afford.
I guess you missed this part of the article.

Quote:
All Dolby Vision-capable TVs—and most other displays—can decode ICtCp directly. But until more content is delivered using this color-representation model, that capability will go largely unused. I hope that more content providers learn about the advantage of ICtCp and use it for future HDR content.
ICtCp is also not part of the UHD blu ray spec, so neither format will be taking advantage of that on disc.

Last edited by DrDon; 10-31-2017 at 02:56 PM. Reason: Condescending remarks removed
post #50 of 158 Old 10-31-2017, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter

Question Thanks, I missed that

Quote:
I guess you missed this part of the article.

I am only here to learn the facts. If I am mistaken in what I believe is true then I not only want be, I welcome to be shown my error. Thanks for the correction for ICtCp and dislplays.

So, if the consumer only has an HDR10 display they will still get ICtCp from Netfix on the Dolby Vision title?

post #51 of 158 Old 11-01-2017, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter

Wink As Detective Sergeant Joe Friday said "Just the facts, ma'am".

Quote:
So, if the consumer only has an HDR10 display they will still get ICtCp from Netfix on the Dolby Vision title?
Lineproduct, I see you didn’t answer my question about ICtCp and HDR10 displays.

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=14282136&postcount=3105

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBa View Post
I didn’t say that ICtCp is exclusive to Dolby Vision TV.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBa View Post

ICtCp is just a color coding representation as well as YCbCr.

For example, for the time being ATSC 3.0 supports only YCbCr:

6.3.2.2 PQ transfercharacteristics

For HDR video with thePQ transfer characteristics, the following constraints apply:

Each SPS shall havematrix_coeffs present and set equal to 9. This constrains the matrixcoefficients to non-constant luminance Y′CbCr as defined in ITU-R BT.2100[23]

https://www.atsc.org/wp-content/uplo...Video-HEVC.pdf

If ICtCp will be approved by the ATSC on January 2018, the previous sentence should be asfollows:

Each SPS shall havematrix_coeffs present and set equal to 9 or 14. This constrains the matrix coefficients to non-constant luminance Y′CBCR or constant intensity ICTCP, respectively, as defined in ITU-R BT.2100.

https://www.atsc.org/wp-content/uplo...ment-ICtCp.pdf

For the time being, the different HDR10 specifications support only YCbCr.

Even if some HDR10 developers decide to implement ICtCp on the encoder side or on the decoderside, they don’t know what is the precise ICtCp attribute or matrix_coeffs to use, they have to wait for the approval of the enhanced HDR10 specifications.

The above ^ is a response to your recent post on Blu-ray.com. So if I understand it correctly, as of the date I posted about Netflix and Dolby Vision, it was an advantage exclusive to Dolby Vision content.

post #52 of 158 Old 11-01-2017, 08:07 PM

It's not exclusive to any tv or any format. ICtCp can be decoded by every modern tv, and it can be added to any HDR format if the industry wishes.

The question you really should be asking in this thread is "when will manufacturers other than Samsung and Panasonic hop aboard the HDR10+ train?" Given the following revelation, it looks like Samsung and Panasonic are putting the final touches on a KO blow before the war has even begun.

Quote:
Incidentally, my sources tell me that if the BDA chooses to add HDR10 Plus to the standards for UHD Blu-Ray discs, it could eventually replace HDR10 as the mandatory standard for such discs. Dolby Vision would, of course, remain an optional format to be implemented as desired by content providers on a per title basis.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/465-hi...l#post55051930
post #53 of 158 Old 11-01-2017, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter

Thumbs up Thanks for the softball question. Easy to hit out of the park

Quote:
The question you really should be asking in this thread is "when will manufacturers other than Samsung and Panasonic hop aboard the HDR10+ train?"
When a display manufacture supports all major HDR formats.

post #54 of 158 Old 11-01-2017, 09:40 PM

Quote:
When a display manufacture supports all major HDR formats.
They better get on it, because the owners of TVs made by any manufacturer other than Samsung and Panasonic will miss out on a ton of dynamic HDR content when HDR10+ becomes the mandatory layer.
post #55 of 158 Old 11-01-2017, 09:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
They better get on it, because the owners of TVs made by any manufacturer other than Samsung and Panasonic will miss out on a ton of dynamic HDR content when HDR10+ becomes the mandatory layer.
LOL, I'm with HDR10+ replacing HDR10 as the mandatory layer.

Are you fine, with DV being there as well, on the same disc? It's like you feel threatened by it's existence, just enjoy what you have.

post #56 of 158 Old 11-01-2017, 10:02 PM

Quote:
LOL, I'm with HDR10+ replacing HDR10 as the mandatory layer.

Are you fine, with DV being there as well, on the same disc? It's like you feel threatened by it's existence, just enjoy what you have.

It wouldn't affect me if DV was on the same disc. And it's not like it would be on a significant number of discs anyways. Certainly not on all of them, like the mandatory format would be.

Though if one dynamic HDR format is mandated, you have to wonder if studios will bother with the optional one.
post #57 of 158 Old 11-01-2017, 10:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It wouldn't affect me if DV was on the same disc. And it's not like it would be on a significant number of discs anyways. Certainly not on all of them, like the mandatory format would be.

Though if one dynamic HDR format is mandated, you have to wonder if studios will bother with the optional one.
I think the Dolby Vision support Dolby has gotten, is based on relationships they have with film studios that has existed for decades, the fact HDR as it exist now, does because of them. The format is impressive, it's great for any display. Sub par black levels or sub par nit capabilities.

Before you bring up some minor issues, that doesn't appear to be a issue for the last few releases, I found evidence of gray bars HDR10 content on Amazon, that existed early into the life of it's existence in the market, that I posted here.

You spend so much time dumping on their format, while not acknowledge the fact, Dolby hasn't said anything negative against HDR10 or +. No attacks against, Samsung, Panasonic, or Fox. Only obvious comments they've made, were in support of their format.

post #58 of 158 Old 11-01-2017, 10:43 PM

Quote:

Before you bring up some minor issues, that doesn't appear to be a issue for the last few releases, I found evidence of gray bars HDR10 content on Amazon, that existed early into the life of it's existence in the market, that I posted here.
Oh, you're referring to that issue with Sony TVs that Sony admitted was their fault?
post #59 of 158 Old 11-01-2017, 10:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Oh, you're referring to that issue with Sony TVs that Sony admitted was their fault?
Find link, it's here or you can do a search yourself.

It's in the VS thread.

post #60 of 158 Old 11-01-2017, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Find link, it's here or you can do a search yourself.

It's in the VS thread.

Yes, it looks like that's what you're referring to. An issue that Sony admitted was exclusive to their TVs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply High Dynamic Range (HDR) & Wide Color Gamut (WCG)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page