HDR Passthrough Issue Denon AVR to Samsung Q6FN - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Bryn23

post #1 of 10 Old 06-07-2018, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
HDR Passthrough Issue Denon AVR to Samsung Q6FN

Hello all,

I have a Denon AVR-S920W which is capable of 4K/HDR passthrough. I primarily game on the TV so this is in regards to HDR gaming via Xbox One X, PS4 Pro, and PC.

It passes HDR through the receiver to my 60" Samsung KS8000 with no issues and the picture looks amazing. Unfortunately during a move last week the movers damaged my TV and it was replaced through my renters insurance with the new 2018 65" Samsung Q6FN. Now I no longer get HDR for gaming on either the XB1X or PS4Pro. I am well aware of all the proper settings including enabling UHD Color. All of my cables are 2.0/18gbps. As I said this all worked perfectly on the KS8000. I have called both Samsung and Denon. They both blame each other's product, yet I'm 99.9% sure its the receiver because when I plug the consoles directly to the Q6FN i get all the HDR features across the board.

One thing I noticed that I thought was interesting is that when its all working on the KS8000 it says "HDR gaming is supported" but when trying to passthrough to the Q6FN it specifically says "TV doesn't support HDR10 for gaming." My gut tells me that I need a firmware update from Denon to address this, but why would a signal passthrough perfectly to the KS8000 and NOT the Q6FN??? Wouldn't the newer TV be able to accept all HDR signals going backwards?

From Denon's website: "Prepared for the future, the AVR-S920W features an advanced video processing and signal handling system including the latest HDMI 2.0a specification that's compatible with 4K Ultra HD BT.2020 full rate 60 Hz content, HDR (High Dynamic Range), 4:4:4 Pure Color sub-sampling and 21:9 aspect ratio pass-through. It's also HDCP 2.2 compliant, which is a requirement for 4K Ultra HD copy-protected content."

Last edited by KJGraceJR; 06-07-2018 at 12:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-07-2018, 04:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2049 Post(s)
Liked: 2366
Samsung added variable refresh rate (an HDMI 2.1 feature not limited to the standards higher bandwidth requirements ) for the gamers to certain TV's in its line and it extended the EDID timing from the TV to the receiver. Firmware patch from Denon is on the way starting with the 2017 models and working down.

Chane A5 towers,Chane A2.4 center,RBH bipole side surrounds, Rythmik LV12R x2,Denon X4300H, Outlaw 5000,Front B speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 books. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...d-part-ii.html
post #3 of 10 Old 06-08-2018, 04:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmax67 View Post
Samsung added variable refresh rate (an HDMI 2.1 feature not limited to the standards higher bandwidth requirements ) for the gamers to certain TV's in its line and it extended the EDID timing from the TV to the receiver. Firmware patch from Denon is on the way starting with the 2017 models and working down.
Thank you for this reply!!!!! You've given me hope. Do you have any kind of link to your source for this info by any chance???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 06-08-2018, 06:49 AM

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 42
For the time being, direct plug the xbox and PS4 into the TV to get HDR.

Im waiting for the same Denon firmware fix on my Denon X3200W, and thats what i've done for the time being, i'm using ARC to send audio back the AVR

Hopefully the firmware fix is soon, but after waiting a month, i've just direct plugged until its sorted
Madmax67 likes this.

Denon X3200W
Bower & Wilkins HTM72 Centre, M1 & PV1 Sub
Samsung 2014 75 inch and Samsung 2018 NU8000 82 inch 4K
QED Speaker Cables and HDMI
post #5 of 10 Old 06-08-2018, 01:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2049 Post(s)
Liked: 2366
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJGraceJR View Post
Thank you for this reply!!!!! You've given me hope. Do you have any kind of link to your source for this info by any chance???
The info for the added feature is available from Samsung itself or review sites like Forbes, Rtings.com etc.. The info for the passthrough issues with Denon receivers is on the 2017 Denon owners thread here on AVS.Ckenisell(I think that's how his handle is spelled but I'm not sure) and others with Samsung sets and Denon's had this issue and Denon acknowledged there was a fix in the works and on the way:

Originally Posted by Denon

I confirmed the EDID and I found the issue that already resolved internally by our side, as you know, new Samsung TV supports ALLM(Auto Low Latency Mode) defined in HDMI2.1 and Samsung EDID block length has been extended due to support ALLM, our AVRs issue happen when this block length extension applied in EDID, We are planning to apply the firmware update on May. 16th for AVR-X3400H

Chane A5 towers,Chane A2.4 center,RBH bipole side surrounds, Rythmik LV12R x2,Denon X4300H, Outlaw 5000,Front B speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 books. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...d-part-ii.html
post #6 of 10 Old 06-08-2018, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter

Amazing! I really appreciate this. I was starting to get a bit angry considering I spent $550 on this receiver (+ protection plan) 13 months ago. Hopefully they roll the update out soon. For now Im just plugging the console directly to the TV to get the full HDR and running optical to the AVR. 5.1 is better than nothing, but I really miss Atmos/True HD/DTS:MA/etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmax67 View Post
The info for the added feature is available from Samsung itself or review sites like Forbes, Rtings.com etc.. The info for the passthrough issues with Denon receivers is on the 2017 Denon owners thread here on AVS.Ckenisell(I think that's how his handle is spelled but I'm not sure) and others with Samsung sets and Denon's had this issue and Denon acknowledged there was a fix in the works and on the way:

Originally Posted by Denon

I confirmed the EDID and I found the issue that already resolved internally by our side, as you know, new Samsung TV supports ALLM(Auto Low Latency Mode) defined in HDMI2.1 and Samsung EDID block length has been extended due to support ALLM, our AVRs issue happen when this block length extension applied in EDID, We are planning to apply the firmware update on May. 16th for AVR-X3400H
post #7 of 10 Old 07-10-2018, 01:14 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Same problem with X4400H and a 2018 Samsung 8QFN. Pulled my hair out for hours last night before I started googling.

Bradley
post #8 of 10 Old 07-12-2018, 03:51 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I have appeared to resolve my problem with the Denon X4400H and the 2018 Samsung Q9FN not passing 4k HDR at 60hz. I made two changes at the same time, so i'm not sure what actually was the resolution. Here is what i did:

- I replaced all of the HDMI cables with brand new (received today) Monoprice Certified Premium High Speed HDMI Cables. (4K @ 60Hz, HDR, 18Gbps, 28AWG, YUV 4:4:4, etc...) I would be disappointed if this was the problem all along since i did test with the same Monoprice cables i purchased last year that are working fine in another 4k HDR 60hz Apple TV 4K source -> Denon AVR-X6300H -> JVC 4K Projector setup.

- I changed the Denon HDMI output from "Monitor 1 ARC" to "Monitor 2" and the Samsung source input from the "HDMI 4 (ARC)" to "HDMI 1" (Effectivly im not using ARC from the Samsung, im using the optical output to get TV audio to my Denon.)

So one of these two, or both, addressed the problem and it is working as expected now.

I recommended to Denon to figure out some tech notes or something on this issue if they can narrow it down. I found a handful of forum posts with people having the same problems with the Denon's and the 2018 Samsungs even after the Denon ALLM (Auto Low Latency Mode) firmware update. Here are some of them:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...rice-talk.html
(Search for "denon")

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/465-h...sung-q6fn.html

https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/...d/33983/page/2

Thanks,

Bradley
post #9 of 10 Old 08-05-2018, 06:35 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdavidson View Post
I have appeared to resolve my problem with the Denon X4400H and the 2018 Samsung Q9FN not passing 4k HDR at 60hz. I made two changes at the same time, so i'm not sure what actually was the resolution. Here is what i did:

- I replaced all of the HDMI cables with brand new (received today) Monoprice Certified Premium High Speed HDMI Cables. (4K @ 60Hz, HDR, 18Gbps, 28AWG, YUV 4:4:4, etc...) I would be disappointed if this was the problem all along since i did test with the same Monoprice cables i purchased last year that are working fine in another 4k HDR 60hz Apple TV 4K source -> Denon AVR-X6300H -> JVC 4K Projector setup.

- I changed the Denon HDMI output from "Monitor 1 ARC" to "Monitor 2" and the Samsung source input from the "HDMI 4 (ARC)" to "HDMI 1" (Effectivly im not using ARC from the Samsung, im using the optical output to get TV audio to my Denon.)

So one of these two, or both, addressed the problem and it is working as expected now.

I recommended to Denon to figure out some tech notes or something on this issue if they can narrow it down. I found a handful of forum posts with people having the same problems with the Denon's and the 2018 Samsungs even after the Denon ALLM (Auto Low Latency Mode) firmware update. Here are some of them:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...rice-talk.html
(Search for "denon")

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/465-h...sung-q6fn.html

https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/...d/33983/page/2

Thanks,

Bradley
Did the fix for this go out yet? I have an 82" NU8000 and just purchased a Denon 3400.

Thanks

Teddy
post #10 of 10 Old 08-06-2018, 07:06 AM

Liked: 4
Samsung released a new FW in the EU called 1134 for the Q9FN. This FW resolved the issues i had with my Onkyo only getting a YUV420 (not 100% sure about the name) so now i get a full RGB 4K signal.

Maybe check if you have the latest FW for your TV and see if this helps resolve the issues with your Denon recievers.

But this did not get me ALLM (Auto low latency mode working) thrue my reciever so in order for that to work i still have to buy a new reciever unfortunatly. The only one i have read will have support for this is the upcoming Marantz 7013 but depending on where you read the press release some say that 5013, 6013 and 7013 will all get ALLM. I have tried to check if for example the Denon x4500 or the x6500 will get ALLM but can't find anything about this.

Anyone here that knows something about ALLM coming as a FW update to denon or marantz current generation ie 3400,4400 or 6500 and the Marantz 6012, 7012?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply High Dynamic Range (HDR) & Wide Color Gamut (WCG)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page