Do you believe HDR will decrease OLED lifespan and do you use it? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Quantum TV

post #1 of 8 Old 07-15-2019, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Do you believe HDR will decrease OLED lifespan and do you use it?

I've read a few articles that claim HDR could reduce OLED lifespan due to the drastic increase in brightness. Since HDR is realatively new, no one knows yet how much the lifespan could be reduced.

I've played a few games in HDR on my OLED, and they look spectacular. Night scenes especially pop and it's easier to see details without straining your eyes. However, after hearing about the potential for HDR to kill your OLED, I'm afraid to continue using it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-15-2019, 08:32 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked: 494
It's very fortunate that OLED wear is not a religion, and thus there's no room for belief or disbelief.

HDR is not new at all - just a year behind consumer WOLED technology itself - and there's no magic to it. We know exactly how much a TV's lifespan will be reduced. It will be reduced by the ratio of brightness of static elements in HDR to the same static elements in SDR.

Well-designed games will align their static elements to reflective white or "paper white" brightness, and thus will produce same or reduced degradation rate in HDR mode. Reflective white in HDR must be considerably lower than the only white point in SDR.

Worthless "we must have HDR" upconversions, which simply stretch their SDR image over the HDR range, may cause up to 2x the wear. This is only the case if the game actually has bright static HUD elements. 100% of such games are on consoles, to the best of my knowledge - no PC game uses a HDR mode unless it's actually doing HDR rendering and processing.
post #3 of 8 Old 07-15-2019, 09:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalogHD View Post
It's very fortunate that OLED wear is not a religion, and thus there's no room for belief or disbelief.

HDR is not new at all - just a year behind consumer WOLED technology itself - and there's no magic to it. We know exactly how much a TV's lifespan will be reduced. It will be reduced by the ratio of brightness of static elements in HDR to the same static elements in SDR.

Well-designed games will align their static elements to reflective white or "paper white" brightness, and thus will produce same or reduced degradation rate in HDR mode. Reflective white in HDR must be considerably lower than the only white point in SDR.

Worthless "we must have HDR" upconversions, which simply stretch their SDR image over the HDR range, may cause up to 2x the wear. This is only the case if the game actually has bright static HUD elements. 100% of such games are on consoles, to the best of my knowledge - no PC game uses a HDR mode unless it's actually doing HDR rendering and processing.
The game I'm currently playing on PC has a couple bright static HUD elements that seem to increase by a lot when HDR is turned on.

And how do we know exactly how much the lifespan will be reduced when your HDR viewing content will usually vary? Every article I've read claims no no one knows.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 07-15-2019, 11:51 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked: 494
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoRavus View Post
And how do we know exactly how much the lifespan will be reduced when your HDR viewing content will usually vary? Every article I've read claims no no one knows.
If they write they don't know, it's probably because they don't. But they have no way of knowing what everyone else knows and doesn't.

Cryptic isn't the way to go here. Posting the game, approx hours, screenshots or crops of the elements will help people here determine the BI risk.
post #5 of 8 Old 07-16-2019, 12:15 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 60
What are your SDR settings? If you're using the out-the-box SDR settings, your average picture level is probably just as bright, if not brighter, than HDR. Meaning panel lifespan probably isn't going to be much different whichever you use.

If you've dropped SDR to a peak of 100-120 nits, then HDR content will age the panel faster, then you have to ask what is your time frame? For someone like myself that upgrades every five years, I'm confident HDR viewing will not be an issue in the slightest.

If you want to limit your content to SDR, go ahead, but it seem a real waste of a good display.
post #6 of 8 Old 09-02-2019, 08:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Yes and no. Oled is organic and does perish, leading to color ****s, and potentially burn in. It's really comes down to quality control. In My experience, entry level oled tech has more issues than the higher end.
tomvinelli likes this.
post #7 of 8 Old 09-02-2019, 08:25 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Yes and no. Oled is organic and does perish, leading to color shifts and potentially burn in. It's really comes down to quality control. In My experience, entry level oled tech has more issues than the higher end.
post #8 of 8 Old 09-07-2019, 01:29 PM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It's sad ,really sad that OLED owners have to worry about all this stuff with oled. And for what ,to say they have the so called king of tv's and technology. When in fact the opposite is true. Burn in depending on the panel will happen in 8 hours or 2 years , pixel degradation because oled is a organic technology. A total scam by LG to make a buck. Worse oled owners took the bait and talking to these people it's sad and obvious by them attacking the messenger instead of attacking LG or Sony and demanding their money back is easier then actually doing something to protect their investment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply High Dynamic Range (HDR) & Wide Color Gamut (WCG)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page