How does Dolby Cinema project Dolby Vision given the HDR limitations of projectors? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 09-03-2019, 12:30 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Question How does Dolby Cinema project Dolby Vision given the HDR limitations of projectors?

been reading/researching and folks here and elsewhere and articles basically state that it is "physics" that self emitting tech like OLED/microLED tech is capable of higher 'nits' than projection tech.

if that is the case... then how is Dolby selling the whole "Dolby Vision" experience in their Dolby Cinema? i mean i know it aint the full 10k nits... but are they even achieving the 500 to 1000 nits from their commercial cinemas? i've got a few around me and i have been watching it for a few years now. imho it's hard to distinguish between DV presentation vs. IMAX 4k laser projection (even though in SDR vs. DV's HDR).

in my own eyes it's merely "meh" but i dont have any OLEDs at home only SDR displays and projectors.

to the edge of eternity and depth of infinity, stupidity knows no bound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 09-10-2019, 06:38 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Dolby Cinema is just 1 stop above the regular diffuse white peak brightness, and people go gaga over it.

Why then Dolby Vision HDR for TVs is based on 7 stops over diffuse white?

Because manufacturers of TVs will be able to reach 10,000 nits in consumer units in the future. And of course it is great to market that you will get closer and closer to the real HDR experience if you get brighter and brighter TVs every year, until you reach 10,000 nits. At that time the audio-video industrial complex will have something else to sell us.

Last edited by proufo; 09-10-2019 at 06:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply High Dynamic Range (HDR) & Wide Color Gamut (WCG)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page