Dolby Vision, including HDR10 conversion w/ DTM on Projectors? - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 167Likes

post #31 of 516 Old 10-28-2019, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1566 Post(s)
Liked: 1217
OK, so given my report of the LLDV gamma curve, (probably following PQ - approximation?) is too dark on my my x990, I have been thinking about what options might available on the x990.

I tried looking at the black floor and my master contrast setting, as a way to restore shadow detail, and LLDV reference black is still the same at +2 brightness on my x990. so that is out.

Next I have tried using the st2084 WHITE Dark Level adjustment and its max of +7 is not enough. So I am tinking with going further by boosting Dark Level for RED, BLUE and GREEN. This in addition to boosting the WHITE, is bringing out more shadow detail on my brightness clipping pattern. I have not tried this new approach with content yet, but will try it with both a DV UHD title and some HDR10 UHD titles. And as I said in a previous post, this is still tweaking to the eye, to see if there is merit to going further into measuring and plotting the data.

Further, I downloaded Ryan's free sample DV test patterns, and while the HHDR10 color bar patterns I have look pretty good being forced to LLDV, the DV color bar pattern is under saturated. I find this interesting, because the level of under saturation in the DV test pattern, is not consistent with the color saturation of the few DV titles I have checked, and given the DV test pattern, it should be more apparent on the DV movie content.

Lastly, in an effort to get my old Dell Insperion awoken from the dead, I was able to get not only the vertex GUI running on it, I was also able to install JVC Auto Calibration software on it. So the next step would be for me to dive into custom curves. Not to get beyond the peak white lumens I can reach with the onboard st2084 controls, but to see about the shape of the gamma curve to work on shadow detail and up thru peak white.

Z has mentioned his working on a custom curve, and I am curious if he has checked to see how that curve tracks for HDR10 vs LLDV, and is LLDV is showing more of a gamma bump, like a PQ curve would?

Lastly... regarding color profile, I have a spyder 5 I can use with JVC AutoCal, but my old copy of CalMan 4.64 is not booting up. An older version of 3.5 is booting, but that is way old. So, even if I could reinstall CalMan 4.64, the Spyder 5 is not likely on it's sensor list. So rather than invest in a newer CalMan license, I'll see about one of the newer free alternatives. (HCFR ?).

In any case, I'm much further down the rabbit hole than I have originally expected, and it is a wee bit exhilarating.

JVC DLA-X990 - 128" 2.35 1.3 Gain Screen - X800M2 - UB820 - ATV4K64 - ROKU Ultra - PS4 - XBone
7.1.4 Atmos - Denon X4300H + Denon 3806(LCR) - JBL Control 5 - BIC Sub - Dayton

Last edited by Bytehoven; 10-28-2019 at 12:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 516 Old 10-28-2019, 11:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 2447 Post(s)
Liked: 2298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytehoven View Post
Thanks claw... The rs232 signal can easily travel 30'+ if I don't want to locate the vertex at the projector, correct? My vertex previous owner was using it with his rs600, so he included that mini-plub -> rs232 adapter.
I have a short RS232 to mini-plug cable at my JVC projector, and a 25 foot mini-plug audio extension cable to reach my HDfury device in my AV cabinet. So just under 30 feet in total.

The older HDfury devices have a RS-232 mini-plug connector that is recessed inside of the case. You need an extension cable where the connector will fit the opening in the HDfury case. Like this one...

https://www.amazon.com/KabelDirekt-3.../dp/B00RXNULH4

The newer HDfury devices changed the design of the RS-232 port placement so just about any audio extension cable will work.
Bytehoven likes this.

CJ
JVC RS500|LG B7A OLED|Denon X6400H/X4200W|Panasonic UB820|Two Oppo 203|Samsung K8500|Apple TV 4K|HDfury Diva/Vertex/Linker/Integral
post #33 of 516 Old 10-28-2019, 01:36 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 256 Post(s)
Quoted: 12850 Post(s)
Liked: 10486
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Thanks Mike... Have you tried LLDV on the nx series? Have you tried LLDV on the eshift series?
No. As I said in the other thread, I am not buying a Vertex, just to test this. Too happy with the DTM that I am currently getting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 516 Old 10-28-2019, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
No. As I said in the other thread, I am not buying a Vertex, just to test this. Too happy with the DTM that I am currently getting.
Sounds good. I was just trying understand if your comments were based on your experience, but since not, you might keep an open mind.

JVC DLA-X990 - 128" 2.35 1.3 Gain Screen - X800M2 - UB820 - ATV4K64 - ROKU Ultra - PS4 - XBone
post #35 of 516 Old 10-28-2019, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Is it just me or does anyone else, when behind their AV rack at 3am, can't help having an epiphany for how to reroute things, and then gets totally jammed up due to running out of tie wraps?

post #36 of 516 Old 10-28-2019, 04:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1164 Post(s)
Liked: 820
Quote:
Is it just me or does anyone else, when behind their AV rack at 3am, can't help having an epiphany for how to reroute things, and then gets totally jammed up due to running out of tie wraps?

Always keep a bag wraps close to the AV rack for just that reason. Afraid I will forget exactly where each wire should go behind another.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
post #37 of 516 Old 10-29-2019, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

OK... some additional observations.

When the x800m2 is set to DV OFF, the player seems to pass the full luminance range of HDR, which responds as normal to my normal curves and onboard st2084 settings. I previously post topping out at 4000 nits, but that must have been a fluke since that is not happening anymore.

When DV is set to ON, the range appears to be mapped to 1000 nit MaxCLL, not unlike the ub820 optimizer at 500 nit display luminance setting. Same goes for LLDV thru the vertex. The DV ON mode and LLDV both appear to be mapping to 1000 nits MaxCLL without crushing any content highlights I can see.

I experimented extensively with both calibrating to white clipping patterns and Ready Player One (RP1).

I'm not sure how to quantify it yet, but there is definitely something positive going on with the LLDV output.

Comparing the ub820 in HDR2020 and SDR2020 modes to the x800M2 in LLDV, there is something nicer about the LLDV signal. I'm not sure how to test if it’s something dynamic that is happening, or just the DV layer rendering the DV source better as LLDV, then when the DV layer is converted to HDR10 for use by the ub820.

While the x800M2 lacks the ability of the ub820 dynamic luminance adjustment, pushing the ST2084 controls will get me almost there as far as peak white lumens for viewing content. Yes, I can go further with the ub820 slider, but more is not necessarily better or more correct. This is where more lumens from the optical block would be the real benefit, and I can imagine what the LK990 might be able to do with the LLDV signal

Based on my observation of a white clipping pattern with LLDV being limited to resolving 1000 nits, I calibrated to this as peak white. I calibrated both my Chad regular and bright curves, by simply increasing master contrast to the point of just crushing the bar just below 1000 nits, which was increasing master contrast from +2 to +10. Master brightness for reference black was the same at +2. However, I could not adjust for the dark shadow detail inherent in the LLDV signal.

I also recalibrated my previous favorite onboard ST2084 settings to the 1000 nits MaxCLL. I was able to compensate for the LLDV signal dark shadow detail. I set up the st2084 red, green and blue at PT = 0, DL = +7 and BL = -3, then I set the st2084 white PT = +9, DL = +3 and BL = -7. I could take white PT as high as +14 with RP1 without crushing any content highlights and there was room to increase white DL to reveal more shadow detail. These st2084 settings had the similar mid-high gamma response of the chad bright curve, but much better and flexible shadow detail control because of the white, red, green and blue DL adjustments.

Based on my testing, I can see where a projector with more lumens to spare, could use the LLDV signal to get to a wonderful image even easier.

Now that I think I have chad curves and two st2084 settings dialed in for LLDV with RP1, I'll get to watching some the other DV titles as well as some HDR10 titles, and see how well my calibrations carry over.

Will running LLDV on the Sony x800m2 replace my use of the ub820? Not sure, but so far LLDV is looking different in ways that are edging out the ub820.

Edit… I test drove Passengers HDR10 with Chad’s bright curve at +10 master contrast and it looked fantastic, with shadow detail a little dark. My 1k st2084 setting with some DL boost was also good, but with the missing shadow detail restored. 

Last edited by Bytehoven; 10-29-2019 at 08:32 PM.
post #38 of 516 Old 10-30-2019, 04:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

One section of RP1 that stands out among many under LLDV, when Parzivil is a racing backwards under the map on the 1st challenge. There are many instances of peak whites, (Delorean headlights and sky) and the very dark elements, which have a more dynamic, dimensional relationship under LLDV.

I am seeing a similar look with scenes in Passengers (non DV title), which look "flatter" on the ub820.

I'd love some guidance regarding how I might be able to better quantify what I think I'm seeing. Maybe if i had a better camera with solid manual controls, vs my less ideal S7, to be able to capture some contrasting images

post #39 of 516 Old 10-30-2019, 11:21 AM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Mentioned: 299 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3896 Post(s)
Liked: 1815
Send a message via Skype™ to MississippiMan
So let a Brother know......

When one has a NX9 and a Panny DMP-UB900, which of the following applies or is ruled out:
  • You want to play a Dolby Vision title as it should be.
  • As there is no RS-232 line between the Equipment Rack and the Ceiling Mounted NX9, which HDFury Outboard Processor would be best considering it would be placed at the PJ's location?
  • Will such an arraingement work with other Digital 4K Steamed content?
  • Considering the DTM ability of the NX9, is such an effort considered worthwhile?
After the recent Firmware upgrade on the NX9, DV titles look better, but still far from the imagery on a DV-equipped TV

"They said it couldn't be done. Well, we sure showed 'em otherwise!"
HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings
post #40 of 516 Old 10-30-2019, 11:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2261 Post(s)
Liked: 1541
Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post

When one has a NX9 and a Panny DMP-UB900, which of the following applies or is ruled out:
  • You want to play Dolby Vision as it should be.
  • As there is no RS-232 line between the Equipment Rack and the Ceiling Mounted NX9, which HDFury Outboard Processor would be best considering it would be placed at the PJ's location?
  • Considering the DTM ability of the NX9, is such an effort considered worthwhile?

After the recent Firmware upgrade on the NX9, DV titles look better, but still far from the imagery on a DV-equipped TV
From the observations on this thread and the other forum, this looks like it may be an improvement over the static tone mapping of the Panasonic and its optimizer. But it doesn't sound like it's close to what the DTM solutions are doing.

So Panasonic - HDR Optimizer Off, JVC Frame Adapt preset selected is going to be the way to go for a JVC NX series projector.

post #41 of 516 Old 10-30-2019, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeahrens View Post
From the observations on this thread and the other forum, this looks like it may be an improvement over the static tone mapping of the Panasonic and its optimizer.
I'm seeing mixed results, with some titles performing better as LLDV and others better via ub820 hdr2020 + optimizer + slider or sdr2020 + slider.

For instance..

Ub820 so far, Blade Runner 2049, Thor Ragnarock...

LLDV so far, Wonder Woman, Passengers, RP1...

I will go thru more titles to see if they fall either way.

I'm curious if how a title was mastered (max/min CLL), or if poor or missing meta data may be contributing to titles going one way or the other?

post #42 of 516 Old 10-30-2019, 11:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2261 Post(s)
Liked: 1541
Quote:
I'm seeing mixed results, with some titles performing better as LLDV and others better via ub820 hdr2020 + optimizer + slider or sdr2020 + slider.

For instance..

Ub820 so far, Blade Runner 2049, Thor Ragnarock...

LLDV so far, Wonder Woman, Passengers, RP1...

I will go thru more titles to see if they fall either way.

I'm curious if how a title was mastered (max/min CLL), or if poor or missing meta data may be contributing to titles going one way or the other?
The whole thing is really intriguing. I'm actually wondering if a manufacturer like Panasonic is looking at what JVC is doing with DTM and considering incorporating it into a player. It really depends on how much cost it would be to get adequate results. If they did it, it would become a must have in the 4K projector arena for units without a DTM option.

The DTM upgrade on the NX lineup is a pretty substantial jump over the Panasonic solution, thus my thoughts that this experiment (based on the observations) isn't going to offer that kind of improvement. Still it's a very interesting prospect.

post #43 of 516 Old 10-30-2019, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

As I continue to work thru my 4K disc collection, let me talk about Avengers: End Game. This title is not Dolby Vision as far as I know, but it is behaving like it is. As an example, during the opening when Tony and Nebula are on the Milano, the LLDV output is increasing the peak white lumens of many scene elements, while also maintaining deep blacks, ie expanding the dynamics of the image in ways the ub820 cannot. For instance when they are playing football, the lighting of the table they are playing on, is being made brighter under LLDV than the ub820. Same goes for the sparks when Tony is welding, and also when we see the Milano in space against the star field. The LLDV image if far more dynamic than the best I can do with the ub820.

I mention this because while its clear a DV title is made dynamically better under LLDV, some have said a similar expectation cannot be had with HDR10, but it appears that it can happen with a HDR title. When and why? I don't know. I'm about 3/4 the way through my 4k disc collection, and once I sort them as far as those which seem to benefit from LLDV and those that don't, maybe there will be some disc specs that will jump out as being contributory.

Forced player led LLDV is definitely working as Dave initially described. Not on every 4k UHD title, but on a majority of my collection so far.

I'd break it into several categories...

- when LLDV totally fails with an HDR10 title. ... Blade Runner 2049

- when ub820's best is better than LLDV. ... Thor Ragnarok, La La Land, Valerian

- when ub820's best and LLDV are too close to call. ... Blade Runner the Final Cut, Solo

- when LLDV is better. ... RP1, Passengers, Wonder Woman, the Great Wall, Oblivion, the Martian,

- when LLDV is much better. ... the Last Jedi, Avengers Infinity Wars, Avengers End Game

I have a dozen+ more titles to test, but these observations have shown me the effort was not a waste of time. But again, it would be nice to better understand the when and why. I assume it has to be the quality of the meta data, how the titles were mastered, or both.

Thanks Dave.

Last edited by Bytehoven; 10-31-2019 at 04:21 AM.
post #44 of 516 Old 11-01-2019, 12:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
... Let me know if there's any specific scenes you think are different from the regular curves. I have both RS600's set up in a stack, one with the Oppo and the other with MadVR latest builds. MadVR is the frame of reference, it's really worth looking into and seeing first hand.
Z... I have a couple scenes for you to check...

- the opening of The Revenant ... the shot walking on the stream leading up to Leonardo firing his rifle. LLDV is doing so many good things. From the start when the camera pans left on Leo to his son and wife, the scene feels like the sun is shining in on them, or the light reflecting in the running water, or the distant sunlight shining down thru the trees, or when we see Leo with his rifle with the sunlight shinning down behind him illuminating the green forest. I can not get the ub820 looking as good as LLDV.

- Thor Ragnarok ... when Thor is strapped in the chair coming out of the dark star field, enters the animated tunnel with Willy Wonka music. LLDV almost looks 3D.

I mentioned End Game in my other post. It's the same thing as the samples above, the luminance range from dark to peak white, is more dramatic with LLDV. Something is happening.

I'm reaching a conclusion, the only time the ub820 is the better choice over LLDV, is when the title needs much more help from the dynamic luminance slider more than +6, as is the case with Blade Runner 2049.

I figure LLDV is similar to the ub820 with +2 to +5 slider setting, depending on how much I can push master contrast on the x990.

When LLDV is causing problems, they are usually over saturation or overly dark lower gamma response in shadows. But it does not happen all the time. For instance, John Wick 2 has perfect shadow detail while working LLDV magic thru the rest of the luminance range. It looks so good, i want to go back and see if i can get better results from 2049, which I did with Ragnrok.

I'd note I've chosen to stick with my Chad curves for testing against the ub820 in SDR2020, so that we might have a similar base setup from which to compare.

I'd love to chat more about what I'm seeing and how I might help you get a similar result on your rs600 to compare to madvr.

Last edited by Bytehoven; 11-01-2019 at 12:34 AM.
post #45 of 516 Old 11-02-2019, 12:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
As I continue to work thru my 4K disc collection, let me talk about Avengers: End Game. This title is not Dolby Vision as far as I know, but it is behaving like it is. As an example, during the opening when Tony and Nebula are on the Milano, the LLDV output is increasing the peak white lumens of many scene elements, while also maintaining deep blacks, ie expanding the dynamics of the image in ways the ub820 cannot. For instance when they are playing football, the lighting of the table they are playing on, is being made brighter under LLDV than the ub820. Same goes for the sparks when Tony is welding, and also when we see the Milano in space against the star field. The LLDV image if far more dynamic than the best I can do with the ub820.

I mention this because while its clear a DV title is made dynamically better under LLDV, some have said a similar expectation cannot be had with HDR10, but it appears that it can happen with a HDR title. When and why? I don't know.
Oppo support when asked about the Forced Dolby Vision option replied that they don't know how it is accomplished. They just call the SDK provided by Dolby to perform the HDR10 to Dolby Vision conversion. So it is possible that Dolby is doing some magic when performing the conversion.

CJ
JVC RS500|LG B7A OLED|Denon X6400H/X4200W|Panasonic UB820|Two Oppo 203|Samsung K8500|Apple TV 4K|HDfury Diva/Vertex/Linker/Integral
post #46 of 516 Old 11-02-2019, 12:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post

• You want to play a Dolby Vision title as it should be.
Assuming you have the UB900 and not the UB9000, I would be surprised if the older UB900 can perform LLDV output like the UB820, UB9000, Oppo and Sony x800m2 players can do. But it is possible that it got a firmware update to do just that.

CJ
post #47 of 516 Old 11-02-2019, 12:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

After getting my one year of free Apple TV+, I decided to try LLDV with the new 4K60 Dolby Vision series The Morning Show.

I have never been very satisfied with Apple's conversion of Dolby Vision to HDR10 instead of serving up a separate HDR10 source. So I decided to watch the three episodes released so far:

- Apple TV Dolby Vision to HDR10 combined with an Arve custom in my JVC RS500.
- Apple TV LLDV triggered by the Sony A1 LLDV custom EDID in my HDfury and the same Arve curve.
- Apple TV LLDV triggered by the LG C8 LLDV custom EDID in my HDfury and the Arve curve.

I didn't like the result when using the Sony A1 LLDV EDID. I thought faces had a reddish tint that I didn't like.

When I switched my HDfury to the LG LLDV EDID, I did not see the red tint. Faces and skin tones appeared much more natural. I also thought highlights were much more apparent and pleasing than when watching the converted HDR10 output.

It seems like the customized LLDV output for an LG OLED display is more compatible with my JVC and my custom curve than what the ATV4K would send to a Sony A1 OLED.

CJ

Last edited by claw; 11-02-2019 at 12:32 AM.
post #48 of 516 Old 11-02-2019, 07:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by claw View Post
Assuming you have the UB900 and not the UB9000, I would be surprised if the older UB900 can perform LLDV output like the UB820, UB9000, Oppo and Sony x800m2 players can do. But it is possible that it got a firmware update to do just that.
UB820 & UB9000, can they do LLDV? Maybe I should try the ub820 to see if it works like the Sony x800m2.

My understanding from DH (Dave) was the players which can do player LLDV are the OPPO 203/205 and Sony X700, x800m2 and 1100es.

EDIT: the UB820 cannot be forced to output Dolby Vision with the Sony A1 LLDV EDID. The only thing the comes out ta SDR in SDR2020 mode and HDR in the HDR2020 mode, regardless of how the DV option on the ub820 is set.

Last edited by Bytehoven; 11-02-2019 at 08:01 AM.
post #49 of 516 Old 11-02-2019, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
After getting my one year of free Apple TV+, I decided to try LLDV with the new 4K60 Dolby Vision series The Morning Show.

I have never been very satisfied with Apple's conversion of Dolby Vision to HDR10 instead of serving up a separate HDR10 source. So I decided to watch the three episodes released so far:

- Apple TV Dolby Vision to HDR10 combined with an Arve custom in my JVC RS500.
- Apple TV LLDV triggered by the Sony A1 LLDV custom EDID in my HDfury and the same Arve curve.
- Apple TV LLDV triggered by the LG C8 LLDV custom EDID in my HDfury and the Arve curve.

I didn't like the result when using the Sony A1 LLDV EDID. I thought faces had a reddish tint that I didn't like.

When I switched my HDfury to the LG LLDV EDID, I did not see the red tint. Faces and skin tones appeared much more natural. I also thought highlights were much more apparent and pleasing than when watching the converted HDR10 output.

It seems like the customized LLDV output for an LG OLED display is more compatible with my JVC and my custom curve than what the ATV4K would send to a Sony A1 OLED.
On the OPPO and Sony players, the INFO option shows the player is sending out a DV signal. The x800m2 definitely shows Dolby Vision in the info player info window when the Sony A1 LLDV EDID is engaged.

I just tested the ub820 thru the vertex. When the Sony A1 LLDV EDID is engaged, it will pass an SDR signal when in SDR2020 mode and an HDR signal when in HDR2020 modo with DV ON or OFF, but cannot be forced to pass a DV signal. So while the Sony A1 LLDV EDID does pass an HDR signal which looks relatively good, it is not the same as the Sony x800m2 sending the a DV 12b output, with the associated LLDV dynamics.

Are you able to check what the ATV4K is actually sending? Can the ATV4K be forced to send a DV signal? I expect what you are seeing and comparing, is an HDR output with both the LG LLDV and Sony LLDV options, but neither are sending a forced DV output signal.

I think, with either the LG or Sony LLDV EDIDs, the HDFury will pass the HDR signal as is, with whatever nuance you are seeing between the LG and Sony EDID options. I'm curious why there is any difference between the two EDIDs.

I do not have a LG LLDV option to the Vertex. The only LLDV option is the Sony A1 EDID.

To actually see a LLDV Dolby Vision output, the device must be able to send a forced Dolby Vision signal, otherwise I don't think we are talking about the same thing.

Last edited by Bytehoven; 11-02-2019 at 09:08 AM.
post #50 of 516 Old 11-02-2019, 01:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
On the OPPO and Sony players, the INFO option shows the player is sending out a DV signal. The x800m2 definitely shows Dolby Vision in the info player info window when the Sony A1 LLDV EDID is engaged.

I just tested the ub820 thru the vertex. When the Sony A1 LLDV EDID is engaged, it will pass an SDR signal when in SDR2020 mode and an HDR signal when in HDR2020 modo with DV ON or OFF, but cannot be forced to pass a DV signal. So while the Sony A1 LLDV EDID does pass an HDR signal which looks relatively good, it is not the same as the Sony x800m2 sending the a DV 12b output, with the associated LLDV dynamics.

Are you able to check what the ATV4K is actually sending? Can the ATV4K be forced to send a DV signal? I expect what you are seeing and comparing, is an HDR output with both the LG LLDV and Sony LLDV options, but neither are sending a forced DV output signal.

I think, with either the LG or Sony LLDV EDIDs, the HDFury will pass the HDR signal as is, with whatever nuance you are seeing between the LG and Sony EDID options. I'm curious why there is any difference between the two EDIDs.

I do not have a LG LLDV option to the Vertex. The only LLDV option is the Sony A1 EDID.

To actually see a LLDV Dolby Vision output, the device must be able to send a forced Dolby Vision signal, otherwise I don't think we are talking about the same thing.
I agree that the UB820/UB9000 cannot force Dolby Vision. I was referring to its ability to output LLDV to Sony TVs when playing Dolby Vision content. I will test again but it is supposed to be able to output LLDV when connected to a Sony TV.

Just to clarify again, I am making no attempt to convert HDR10 to Dolby Vision LLDV output. I am only testing Dolby Vision content output as LLDV to my JVC projector.

I don't have to force the ATV4K to output LLDV. If it sees it is connected to a Sony TV, it will automatically output LLDV (for Dolby Vision content). The HDfury EDID tricks the ATV4K into thinking it is connected to a Sony TV. I found it also does with the LG LLDV EDID set in my HDfury Diva.

I confirmed that my Diva reports 4K24 4:2:2 BT.2020 Dolby Vision as input (LLDV) and the same for output to my JVC projector. I will post a screen shot later.
Bytehoven likes this.

CJ

Last edited by claw; 11-02-2019 at 01:23 PM.
post #51 of 516 Old 11-04-2019, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm reading the Xbox One maybe another source which will respond to the Sony A1 LLDV Edid, since the A1 is one of the displays listed by Dolby for LLDV compatability.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...=1572878773758

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...=1572878773758

I have an Xbone I will test.

RTINGS.com › TV › Guide ... HDR10 vs HDR10+ vs Dolby Vision:

https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/hdr10-vs-dolby-vision

Last edited by Bytehoven; 11-04-2019 at 09:59 AM.
post #52 of 516 Old 11-04-2019, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
... Just to clarify again, I am making no attempt to convert HDR10 to Dolby Vision LLDV output. I am only testing Dolby Vision content output as LLDV to my JVC projector.
I understand, but I would invite you to check it out. I assume you may already have, and I need to go and research many more of your posts. But if your review was only on a cursory basis, it looks like a worthwhile examination, based on what I have observed so far.

Quote:
I don't have to force the ATV4K to output LLDV. If it sees it is connected to a Sony TV, it will automatically output LLDV (for Dolby Vision content). The HDfury EDID tricks the ATV4K into thinking it is connected to a Sony TV. I found it also does with the LG LLDV EDID set in my HDfury Diva.
Excellent news. I will definitely watch for a season sale on the ATV4K 64 as a hardware platform to host any streaming service offering DV and maybe hdr10 as well.

BTW... which version of the ATV4k do you have?

Last edited by Bytehoven; 11-04-2019 at 06:49 PM.
post #53 of 516 Old 11-05-2019, 03:18 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 276
With X800M2 -> Integral -> Denon X6200 -> Radiance (pass through) -> NX9 (Frame Adapt), this is what I get.
I'm not sure, what the X800M2 info screen is suposed to look like with an actual LG C8.

It was only a very brief test with the LG C8 EDID. I still have to watch some more material. But first I have to solve the issue that I get no sound as soon as the Integral is in the chain.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DV_Test1.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	2636852  

Projection: JVC DLA-NX9
VP/Calibration: Lumagen Radiance Pro, LightSpace CMS, x-rite i1 Pro 2, x-rite i1 Display 3

Last edited by KarlKlammer; 11-05-2019 at 03:50 PM.
post #54 of 516 Old 11-05-2019, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlKlammer View Post
With X800M2 -> Integral -> Denon X6500 -> Radiance (pass through) -> NX9 (Frame Adapt), this is what I get.
I'm not sure, what the X800M2 info screen is suposed to look like with an actual LG C8.

It was only a very brief test with the LG C8 EDID. I still have to watch some more material. But first I have to solve the issue that I get no sound as soon as the Integral is in the chain.
HDFury has recommended using the Sony A1 LLDV v2 EDID with the x800m2.

I don't think the integral has LLDV support. The Integral2, vertex, vertex2, diva and maestro are the hdfury devices with LLDV support.

Last edited by Bytehoven; 11-05-2019 at 05:41 PM.
post #55 of 516 Old 11-05-2019, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Just ordered the ATV 4K64 from the Apple refurb store, as the 32 and 64 just came back into stock... great price, full warranty, a great way to buy apple products when available.

Looking forward to LLDV out of the ATV4K.

post #56 of 516 Old 11-06-2019, 08:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 145 Post(s)
Quoted: 5234 Post(s)
Liked: 2059
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
The Vertex will force the JVC into HDR mode. For the RS600, this means Gamma D. You can then later select a different gamma. forum member
Can you not have the Vertex block the HDR flag and switch manually to the custom curve, just like the “old days”?
nathan_h likes this.

JVC DLA-NX7; Denon AVR-X3400H; HD Fury Vertex; ATV4K; Fire TV Cube
JVC Projector Bright Curves; Optimizing HDR;
Creating a basic HDR curve using Arve’s Tool;
Replacing JVC Bare Bulbs
post #57 of 516 Old 11-06-2019, 12:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
Can you not have the Vertex block the HDR flag and switch manually to the custom curve, just like the “old days”?
Not in this case.

If the Vertex is receiving an HDR signal, you can mark the Disable HDR checkbox. The JVC HDR macro will execute and send the proper user mode command to the JVC.

But if the Vertex is receiving an LLDV signal:

- Without having the Vertex send custom HDR metadata, the JVC SDR BT2020 macro is executed in the Vertex and the JVC switches to the configured SDR BT2020 user mode.

- Having the Vertex send custom HDR metadata results in my JVC RS500 disabling the DI and switches to the broken Gamma D.

- An attempt to have the Vertex send custom HDR metadata and mark the Disable HDR flag results in no HDR metadata sent and my JVC again goes into SDR BT2020 mode. The Disable HDR flag disables the sending of custom metadata.

So I asked HDfury in the Diva thread if an additional JVC Macro could be added that checks for LLDV input. Then I could configure the macro to send the command to switch to one of my custom curve user modes. But the addition of a new macro might only be possible with the latest generation of HDfury devices; Vertex2, Diva, and Maestro. Not sure about Integral2. The original devices do not have sufficient memory to add anything new.
Bytehoven and mavang like this.

CJ
post #58 of 516 Old 11-06-2019, 12:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Not in this case.

If the Vertex is receiving an HDR signal, you can mark the Disable HDR checkbox. The JVC HDR macro will execute and send the proper user mode command to the JVC.

But if the Vertex is receiving an LLDV signal:

- Without having the Vertex send custom HDR metadata, the JVC SDR BT2020 macro is executed in the Vertex and the JVC switches to the configured SDR BT2020 user mode.

- Having the Vertex send custom HDR metadata results in my JVC RS500 disabling the DI and switches to the broken Gamma D.

- An attempt to have the Vertex send custom HDR metadata and mark the Disable HDR flag results in no HDR metadata sent and my JVC again goes into SDR BT2020 mode. The Disable HDR flag disables the sending of custom metadata.

So I asked HDfury in the Diva thread if an additional JVC Macro could be added that checks for LLDV input. Then I could configure the macro to send the command to switch to one of my custom curve user modes. But the addition of a new macro might only be possible with the latest generation of HDfury devices; Vertex2, Diva, and Maestro. Not sure about Integral2. The original devices do not have sufficient memory to add anything new.
Thanks for the detailed reply. I actually only have a Linker, and was wondering if that can be done manually (not relying on macros to do automatic switching).

EDIT: just saw Bytehoven’s rely. Looks like the Linker does not support LLDV.

Replacing JVC Bare Bulbs

Last edited by Dominic Chan; 11-06-2019 at 12:36 PM.
post #59 of 516 Old 11-07-2019, 11:11 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 276
Quote:
HDFury has recommended using the Sony A1 LLDV v2 EDID with the x800m2.

I don't think the integral has LLDV support. The Integral2, vertex, vertex2, diva and maestro are the hdfury devices with LLDV support.

The Integral has an issue with sound in this setup. With Integral 2 and Linker(!) I get picture and sound. The X800M2 info screen is identical regardless of which HDfury is in the chain. The Integral 2 OSD shows 12bit DV. So I guess it is working.
Bytehoven likes this.

Projection: JVC DLA-NX9
VP/Calibration: Lumagen Radiance Pro, LightSpace CMS, x-rite i1 Pro 2, x-rite i1 Display 3
post #60 of 516 Old 11-08-2019, 08:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlKlammer View Post
The Integral has an issue with sound in this setup. With Integral 2 and Linker(!) I get picture and sound. The X800M2 info screen is identical regardless of which HDfury is in the chain. The Integral 2 OSD shows 12bit DV. So I guess it is working.
That’s great news! I use ATV a lot and many DV shows are very dark. What settings do you use on the Linker to make this work?

Replacing JVC Bare Bulbs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply High Dynamic Range (HDR) & Wide Color Gamut (WCG)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page