Dolby Vision, including HDR10 conversion w/ DTM on Projectors? - Page 21 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1012Likes

post #601 of 2220 Old 12-28-2019, 10:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked: 719
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottAvery View Post
Hooked up the newly delivered Vertex 2 today. I admittedly don't understand the configuration, but I did manage to get DV enabled on my ATV4k through Oppo203 to JVC rs540. Have not tried a disc directly in the Oppo yet, still on first film from Disney+ on the ATV. It is being recognized as SDR so I had to manually switch to HDR profile, but I think that is expected based on the inclusion of a new LLDV macro option in the latest firmware.

When I first added in the Vertex all my HDCP synch issues went away immediately, but that was a fluke as somehow I managed to disable the match frame rate and match color space setting in the ATV4k and everything was staying at 4k60 no matter the source, so it never had to synch again. Sadly when I passed the LG LLDV EDID and the ATV prompted trying out Dolby Vision, the screen went black again and stayed that way until I toggled inputs, so I do still have something to work out there.

What else do I need to do to get HDR flags sent with DV content? I don't want to have it on all the time if not appropriate.
I can tell you what works for me:

In the EDID menu, sellect AUTOMIX instead of CUSTOM (apparently, it does not make any difference but it works for me) and make all the selections indicted in the attached photo---with the exception of "YCBCr remove" (not sure what this does, but I don't use it).

In the HDR/DV menu, select DISABLE ALL OUTPUT HDR/HLG (KEEP LLDV), Then make sure you change the primaries to BT2020 and WP to D65 and Finally, don't forget to press "Create IF" followed by "Send HDR."

In your ATV make sure you set to DV.

In your JVC, make sure you use BT2020 and a good custom gamma curve

That's it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	093A966A-C170-4623-A1B6-5658298BFDE4.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	2660448   Click image for larger version

Name:	FFCE6BEF-86F8-4C4B-B55E-E1B3268E18E1.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	2660450  
Bytehoven and Parisi Ho like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #602 of 2220 Old 12-29-2019, 08:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by atabea View Post

In the EDID menu, sellect AUTOMIX instead of CUSTOM (apparently, it does not make any difference but it works for me) and make all the selections indicted in the attached photo---with the exception of "YCBCr remove" (not sure what this does, but I don't use it).

In the HDR/DV menu, select DISABLE ALL OUTPUT HDR/HLG (KEEP LLDV), Then make sure you change the primaries to BT2020 and WP to D65 and Finally, don't forget to press "Create IF" followed by "Send HDR."

That's it.
What does the automix setting do differently than the LG or Sony EDID?
post #603 of 2220 Old 12-29-2019, 08:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:

That's it.
Do you have an Atmos setup? If so, can you get Atmos working with the Automix option?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #604 of 2220 Old 12-30-2019, 06:45 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by vantage78 View Post
Do you have an Atmos setup? If so, can you get Atmos working with the Automix option?

I was going to ask that as when I used Automix like you, I could not get Atmos no matter what I tried. Had to go back to selecting EDID 5 and Atmos comes back. There is something in the Automix that is disabling Atmos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #605 of 2220 Old 12-30-2019, 12:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 2935 Post(s)
Liked: 2821
Quote:
Originally Posted by vantage78 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tswire View Post
I was going to ask that as when I used Automix like you, I could not get Atmos no matter what I tried. Had to go back to selecting EDID 5 and Atmos comes back. There is something in the Automix that is disabling Atmos.
ATV4K configured to Dolby Vision and Atmos enabled -> Denon X6400H AVR -> HDfury Diva in Automix mode with Full Audio and Force LLDV options set -> Cheap un-calibrated LG 4K LED HDR TV that is normally only used as HTPC monitor.

Screenshots of:

- HDfury Diva EDID configured to Automix with Full audio and Force LLDV check boxes marked.
- HDfury Diva Information showing LLDV input and output.
- iPhone photo of paused ATV4K picture of Apple TV+ series Dickenson showing the Diva OSD reporting LLDV.
- iPhone photo of Denon Information OSD showing ATMOS.
- Screenshot of Denon Remote Control iPad App showing Atmos sound mode selected and audio feeding all speakers including Front Dolby Enabled speakers and Rear Height speakers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0773.PNG
Views:	93
Size:	483.0 KB
ID:	2661294   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0772.PNG
Views:	85
Size:	346.6 KB
ID:	2661296   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0771.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	926.2 KB
ID:	2661298   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0770.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	473.4 KB
ID:	2661300   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0238.PNG
Views:	58
Size:	163.0 KB
ID:	2661304  

CJ
JVC RS500 | LG B7A OLED | Denon X6400H (7.2.4) | X4200W | Panasonic UB820 | Two Oppo 203 | Samsung K8500 | Apple TV 4K | Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K | HDfury Diva/Vertex/Linker/Integral | MadVR with EVGA RTX-2080 Ti

Last edited by claw; 12-30-2019 at 01:00 PM.
post #606 of 2220 Old 12-30-2019, 02:18 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by claw View Post
ATV4K configured to Dolby Vision and Atmos enabled -> Denon X6400H AVR -> HDfury Diva in Automix mode with Full Audio and Force LLDV options set -> Cheap un-calibrated LG 4K LED HDR TV that is normally only used as HTPC monitor.

Screenshots of:

- HDfury Diva EDID configured to Automix with Full audio and Force LLDV check boxes marked.

- iPhone photo of paused ATV4K picture of Apple TV+ series Dickenson showing the Diva OSD reporting LLDV.

- Screenshot of Denon Remote Control iPad App showing Atmos sound mode selected and audio feeding all speakers including Front Dolby Enabled speakers and Rear Height speakers.

Only difference is you have diva AND you put after your receiver. I have vertex 2 and BEFORE denon avr but has full Atmos capability (as proof with DV trick with selecting EDID 5 vs the automix option). Weird

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #607 of 2220 Old 12-30-2019, 06:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

In the Vertex2 thread HDFury mentioned I should be able to place the Vertex anywhere in the chain and still use the LLDV trick, but that has not seemed to be the case.

Cables are okay, so leaving that out of the description.

My pre-Vertex config was:

ATV4k -> Onkyo RZ830 -> Oppo 203 -> JVC RS540

My first Vertex config was to place it between the Onkyo and Oppo. In that config I was able to get DV out of the ATV4k but not out of the Oppo, despite multiple attempts to select a custom or automix EDID that should work.

I then moved the Vertex to between the Oppo and the JVC, and DV was possible through the Oppo but no longer at the ATV. Each reset of EDID wiped the ATV config because I guess it goes back to default when the display changes, so I got tired of trying.

What should I expect to achieve? Do I have to make the Oppo and ATV both inputs to the AVR or Vertex? I was hoping not to lose the passthrough feature of the Oppo as that was something I expected the Vertex to fix for me.
post #608 of 2220 Old 12-30-2019, 08:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
In the Vertex2 thread HDFury mentioned I should be able to place the Vertex anywhere in the chain and still use the LLDV trick, but that has not seemed to be the case.

Cables are okay, so leaving that out of the description.

My pre-Vertex config was:

ATV4k -> Onkyo RZ830 -> Oppo 203 -> JVC RS540

My first Vertex config was to place it between the Onkyo and Oppo. In that config I was able to get DV out of the ATV4k but not out of the Oppo, despite multiple attempts to select a custom or automix EDID that should work.

I then moved the Vertex to between the Oppo and the JVC, and DV was possible through the Oppo but no longer at the ATV. Each reset of EDID wiped the ATV config because I guess it goes back to default when the display changes, so I got tired of trying.

What should I expect to achieve? Do I have to make the Oppo and ATV both inputs to the AVR or Vertex? I was hoping not to lose the passthrough feature of the Oppo as that was something I expected the Vertex to fix for me.
In the first configuration, did you select HDMI IN BYPASS mode in the Oppo? It won't accept Dolby Vision or LLDV otherwise.

In the second configuration, I don't think the Oppo will pass back EDID information regarding LLDV support to the AVR and back to the ATV4K.

Unsure why you want to pass the ATV through the Oppo HDMI input?

You might need two HDfury devices, one for the ATV4K and one for the Oppo if you want to pass LLDV from ATV through the AVR and then through the Oppo to the JVC.

CJ
JVC RS500 | LG B7A OLED | Denon X6400H (7.2.4) | X4200W | Panasonic UB820 | Two Oppo 203 | Samsung K8500 | Apple TV 4K | Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K | HDfury Diva/Vertex/Linker/Integral | MadVR with EVGA RTX-2080 Ti
post #609 of 2220 Old 12-30-2019, 09:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
In the first configuration, did you select HDMI IN BYPASS mode in the Oppo? It won't accept Dolby Vision or LLDV otherwise.
Yes, and it did work for the ATV to pass through the Oppo to the JVC, but the Oppo does not see the EDID itself in that direction. That is what I expected actually, its just that HDFury indicated it would work anywhere.

Quote:
In the second configuration, I don't think the Oppo will pass back EDID information regarding LLDV support to the AVR and back to the ATV4K.
Is it just one too many? Or the Oppo gets treated as the display? It did work passing through the AVR alone in my first scenario.

Quote:
Unsure why you want to pass the ATV through the Oppo HDMI input?
I need the Oppo to perform anamorphic scaling at 4k60, of which I get plenty out of the ATV for various streaming services that do not send original frame rate. I will work out how to use the JVC for scaling DV at 4k24.

Quote:
You might need two HDfury devices, one for the ATV4K and one for the Oppo if you want to pass LLDV from ATV through the AVR and then through the Oppo to the JVC.
That is frustrating. I will have to fiddle with the matrix options for the Vertex2 as HDfury said I should be able to loop back if I find I need to do so.
post #610 of 2220 Old 01-03-2020, 11:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

For those running Vertex2, there is a new update available.

What's new/fixed in 0.40

1. Changed automix flags. Removed BT2020/3D/YCbCr/DVremove/DVLimit flags. All caps will be mixed still if present in the sink EDID

2. Removed automix algo, default is max caps at all times

3. Modified HDR10+ to force a separate HDR10+ string. Default is now OFF.

4. Modified audio flag priority so that if TX0 is selected but TV not active then TX1 is used. If TX1 is selected but not turned on then TX0 is used. If AUDIO OUT is selected but not connected, then TX0 is used if active and finally TX1 is used if TX0 is also off.

5. FULL audio flag removes DSD to save space. DSD is still mixed using TX0/TX1/AUDIO OUT normally if present

6. Added DV CUSTOM STRING flag. When CUSTOM STRING is enabled, the DV string is used as defined in the "HDR/DV" page of the webserver. This allows for full customization of the DV capabilities shown to the source device. This is for advanced users only.

7. Added Rsense, HPD and TMDS info in config export for each output connector.

8. Added RX 5V detection for each input in config export

9. Added default EDID mode detection in config export

10. Added edid overflow information in config export
Bytehoven likes this.
post #611 of 2220 Old 01-03-2020, 11:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 830 Post(s)
Liked: 441
Quote:

Screenshots of:

Hello Claw sorry to bother with this again but I've been out and tomorrow and sunday is finally the day ill get around to setting this up.. I was out for a while..

Edit.. Forgot to say thank you.

my setup is rs640 and i used to have a roku but i bought the apple tv and diva just for this.. I have custom curves installed and atmos.. The apple tv is going on the back of the receiver it passes everything..

Audio flags will be full?
Hdr flags leave this blank?
Color flags just bt2020?
DV flags DV force lldv

I hate doing this stuff i want to get it right from the get go.. I know if i mess something up ill be stuck all weekend trying to figure it out..

once i get this going then ill come back and ask what else i need to check off on the vertex to convert my uhd hdr10 disc with my oppo to DV..

Last edited by jorgebetancourt; 01-03-2020 at 11:34 AM.
post #612 of 2220 Old 01-03-2020, 06:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

First, public service announcement, the 6 foot KabelDirekt hdmi cables that HDFury has been recommending went on sale on Amazon today, down to $7.99.

I tried multiple configs of running the ATV still through the Oppo and could not get DV on both, so for now I rewired them in parallel instead of series so I can use both for now. I will have to get support from HDFury on the loopback config. I think Apple has dumbed the features down so much it just made it impossible to manage the ATV. I can get good DV results from both devices anyway, but the ATV does not play nice with my Anamorphic lens settings.
post #613 of 2220 Old 01-04-2020, 09:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 6283 Post(s)
Liked: 2642
Quote:
The HDR10 screen shot would have been converted from Dolby Vision to HDR10 by the ATV4K. The ATV does not send a separate HDR10 source for displays that do not support DV. All DV content is converted to HDR10 for non-DV displays. This is a peculiarity of the ATV4K, other players do source different Dolby Vision and HDR10 versions from Netflix.

I would hope that DV content on ATV4K Netflix would never be HDR10 converted to Dolby Vision, then converted again to HDR10 for non-DV displays. I think all DV content on Netflix is from a DV master.
Just came across this:
Quote:
Netflix Originals are mastered, packaged, and delivered in the Dolby Vision format. From this package, we derive Dolby Vision, HDR10, and SDR streams for Netflix customers to enjoy.
It’s not clear to me who’s “we” as in “we derive...”
Source:
https://partnerhelp.netflixstudios.c...lby-Vision-HDR

JVC DLA-X550R; Denon AVR-X3400H; HD Fury Linker / Vertex 2; ATV4K; Sony UBP-X700
JVC Curves; Optimizing HDR;
Creating a basic HDR curve using Arve’s Tool;
Replacing JVC Bare Bulbs

Last edited by Dominic Chan; 01-04-2020 at 09:48 AM.
post #614 of 2220 Old 01-04-2020, 01:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorgebetancourt View Post
Hello Claw sorry to bother with this again but I've been out and tomorrow and sunday is finally the day ill get around to setting this up.. I was out for a while..

Edit.. Forgot to say thank you.

my setup is rs640 and i used to have a roku but i bought the apple tv and diva just for this.. I have custom curves installed and atmos.. The apple tv is going on the back of the receiver it passes everything..

Audio flags will be full?
Hdr flags leave this blank?
Color flags just bt2020?
DV flags DV force lldv

I hate doing this stuff i want to get it right from the get go.. I know if i mess something up ill be stuck all weekend trying to figure it out..

once i get this going then ill come back and ask what else i need to check off on the vertex to convert my uhd hdr10 disc with my oppo to DV..
Make sure you connect the TX0 HDMI output connector from the Diva to the RS640. the TX1 output is 1080P only.

On the Diva EDID tab of its UI, you can either...

- Select the CUSTOM radio button and choose EDID 5 (Sony A1 LLDV) or EDID 8 (LG65C8 LLDV). I would suggest trying with EDID 5 first.

- Or select the AUTOMIX radio button and...

Mark the FULL Audio Flag check box
Mark the DV FORCE LLDV check box
Clear all of the other AUTOMIX check boxes. None of them are needed and may cause issues if enabled. The only other check box you might have use for is if you have an HLG source such as Directv 4K as I believe the RS640 supports HLG input.

CUSTOM and AUTOMIX are independent of each other. It is an either or choice. Options set under CUSTOM don't affect AUTOMIX, and options set under AUTOMIX don't affect CUSTOM.

I can see no difference between Automix/Force LLDV, Custom EDID 5, and Custom EDID 8. I thought I did at one time but I think it was either the content or my bloodshot eyes. I am pretty sure that HDfury uses the same Dolby Vision identification string for all three cases, and based them all on the Sony LLDV EDID 5.

As long as your Oppo is also connected to your AVR, you don't have to change anything else in the Diva (not sure why you still want to use the Vertex?) to get LLDV from Oppo disc playback. The same Diva LLDV settings work for both ATV4K and Oppo.

In the Oppo, go to Setup...Video Output Setup...HDR Setting...
For HDR option, choose Dolby Vision
For Dolby Vision Processing option, choose Player-led

That's all. I can almost guarantee you will be much more pleased with the ATV4K LLDV result on your JVC than you will with the Oppo LLDV output.

Do note that the ATV4K can be very finicky about its Dolby Vision setting. If you make any changes in your AVR or Diva that affects the EDID information that the ATV4K receives, the ATV will make you test Dolby Vision capability all over again before it will let you set it to Dolby Vision.

I leave my ATV4K at

4K60 Dolby Vision
Match Frame Rate ON as most of the content is 23Hz and can result in judder if output at 59Hz.
Match Dynamic Range OFF to convert everything to Dolby Vision.

But I will set Match Dynamic Range to ON if I don't like what some SDR content looks like when converted to Dolby Vision.

Since almost all HDR content on the ATV4K is encoded in Dolby Vision you don't have to be concerned about it having to convert HDR10 to Dolby Vision and output as LLDV. I think this is one reason I like the LLDV from the ATV better. It doesn't have to do any conversion from HDR10, just output the Dolby Vision content as LLDV which is what it was designed to do automatically when connected to Sony Dolby Vision TVs.
Bytehoven likes this.

CJ

Last edited by claw; 01-04-2020 at 02:28 PM.
post #615 of 2220 Old 01-04-2020, 02:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Make sure you connect the TX0 HDMI output connector from the Diva to the RS640. the TX1 output is 1080P only.

- Select the CUSTOM radio button and choose EDID 5 (Sony A1 LLDV) or EDID 8 (LG65C8 LLDV). I would suggest trying with EDID 5 first.

Clear all of the other AUTOMIX check boxes. None of them are needed and may cause issues if enabled. The only other check box you might have use for is if you have an HLG source such as Directv 4K as I believe the RS640 supports HLG input.

CUSTOM and AUTOMIX are independent of each other. It is an either or choice. Options set under CUSTOM don't affect AUTOMIX, and options set under AUTOMIX don't affect CUSTOM.

I can see no difference between Automix/Force LLDV, Custom EDID 5, and Custom EDID 8. I thought I did at one time but I think it was either the content or my bloodshot eyes. I am pretty sure that HDfury uses the same Dolby Vision identification string for all three cases, and based them all on the Sony LLDV EDID 5.

As long as your Oppo is also connected to your AVR, you don't have to change anything else in the Diva (not sure why you still want to use the Vertex?) to get LLDV from Oppo disc playback. The same Diva LLDV settings work for both ATV4K and Oppo.

That's all. I can almost guarantee you will be much more pleased with the ATV4K LLDV result on your JVC than you will with the Oppo LLDV output.

Do note that the ATV4K can be very finicky about its Dolby Vision setting. If you make any changes in your AVR or Diva that affects the EDID information that the ATV4K receives, the ATV will make you test Dolby Vision capability all over again before it will let you set it to Dolby Vision.

I leave my ATV4K at

4K60 Dolby Vision
Match Frame Rate ON as most of the content is 23Hz and can result in judder if output at 59Hz.

But I will set Match Dynamic Range to ON if I don't like what some SDR content looks like when converted to Dolby Vision.

Since almost all HDR content on the ATV4K is encoded in Dolby Vision you don't have to be concerned about it having to convert HDR10 to Dolby Vision and output as LLDV. I think this is one reason I like the LLDV from the ATV better. It doesn't have to do any conversion from HDR10, just output the Dolby Vision content as LLDV which is what it was designed to do automatically when connected to Sony Dolby Vision TVs.
Thank you, thank you and thank you.. You the best, the best and the best... And with javs curves am i good or should i be using one of yours.. My screen is about 125 projector is 16ft back and my room is a vat cave.. I know javs curves where met for a smaller screen like 110..

Going to do this tomorrow as of now is to late..
post #616 of 2220 Old 01-04-2020, 02:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked: 819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
Just came across this:

It’s not clear to me who’s “we” as in “we derive...”
Source:
https://partnerhelp.netflixstudios.c...lby-Vision-HDR
As far as DV goes, it all depends on the deliverable profile - if for example it's Profile 8, the master (or more usually a mezzanine) contains the DV enhancement layer plus the base layer which is HDR10, SDR and HLG compatible, so the "we" is the broadcaster who then has the option what to broadcast - in Netflix's case it's SDR, HDR10 and DV and the client (at our end) decides what stream is chosen.

Zidoo Z9S | Nvidia Shield Pro | HDFury Vertex² | 32TB mirrored storage
Denon AVC-X8500H | JVC DLA X7000 | Screen Research 9ft multi aspect ClearPix 2 ISF screen
3 x PMC IB2S fronts | 4 x PMC Wafer 2 rears | 4 x PMC Wafer 1 ceiling | 2 x M&K SS550 THX height | Rel Stentor III
A pair of slippers, a comfy sofa and a glass of 16 year old single malt
post #617 of 2220 Old 01-04-2020, 04:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markswift2003 View Post
As far as DV goes, it all depends on the deliverable profile - if for example it's Profile 8, the master (or more usually a mezzanine) contains the DV enhancement layer plus the base layer which is HDR10, SDR and HLG compatible, so the "we" is the broadcaster who then has the option what to broadcast - in Netflix's case it's SDR, HDR10 and DV and the client (at our end) decides what stream is chosen.
So that means ATV does not need to “convert” anything? I’m still puzzled by the red tint which shows only some of the time.

JVC DLA-X550R; Denon AVR-X3400H; HD Fury Linker / Vertex 2; ATV4K; Sony UBP-X700
Replacing JVC Bare Bulbs
post #618 of 2220 Old 01-04-2020, 09:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thank you, thank you and thank you.. You the best, the best and the best... And with javs curves am i good or should i be using one of yours.. My screen is about 125 projector is 16ft back and my room is a vat cave.. I know javs curves where met for a smaller screen like 110..

Going to do this tomorrow as of now is to late..
No problem. If you find the Javs 100 nit v3 curves too dark, you can use his 85 nit v3 curves.

I should confirm that you understand my suggestions are for the Diva to be placed between the AVR and JVC, correct?

What do you do now to select your custom curve? I still have an RS500 which has all the headaches with Gamma D and disabled Dynamic Iris when fed HDR. Does the RS640 allow you to configure what user mode you want to use for HDR? Or do you manually select your custom user mode that has your custom curve?

I use the JVC Macros in my Diva that recognize HDR10, SDR BT2020, SDR REC709, and LLDV. I have the HDR10 and LLDV macros select my user mode containing a custom curve. I have the SDR BT2020 macro select my user mode with BT2020 and Gamma 2.4 configured (for MadVR and UB820 tone mapping). I have the SDR REC709 macro do nothing. I do this so the BT2020 filter does not switch in and out every time I stop playback of content and the player menu is displayed in REC709. Avoids the fllter noise and also reduces sync times. I watch so little SDR REC709 content that I manually switch to its custom user mode when i do.
Bytehoven and riddle like this.

CJ
post #619 of 2220 Old 01-05-2020, 01:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked: 819
Quote:
So that means ATV does not need to “convert” anything? I’m still puzzled by the red tint which shows only some of the time.
No, technically there's no need for it to do that at all but consensus seems to indicate that it does.

I haven't got one so can't comment either way but it'd be a really dumb thing for Apple to implement, but then they do tend to take their own, often misguided, path.

Zidoo Z9S | Nvidia Shield Pro | HDFury Vertex² | 32TB mirrored storage
Denon AVC-X8500H | JVC DLA X7000 | Screen Research 9ft multi aspect ClearPix 2 ISF screen
3 x PMC IB2S fronts | 4 x PMC Wafer 2 rears | 4 x PMC Wafer 1 ceiling | 2 x M&K SS550 THX height | Rel Stentor III
A pair of slippers, a comfy sofa and a glass of 16 year old single malt
post #620 of 2220 Old 01-05-2020, 02:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I watched The Mandelorian on D+ in DV and found elevated black levels from the ATV. Not sure if the issue is Disney+ or the ATV in general. I think Bytehoven mentioned that as well but I don't recall his conclusion. I'll test that config with Oppo and other ATV apps next chance I get.

I decided to dump my 4000nit profile and copied my 1200nit config over to Cinema mode so I could fiddle with brightness and contrast without changing the curve (Javs 85/1200). I stopped at -2 brightness and +16 contrast just eyeballing it. I will look into the macros to select that mode for LLDV if it turns out to be universal. I do not have a spare extension cable handy for the RS232 connection at the moment.
post #621 of 2220 Old 01-05-2020, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 1612 Post(s)
Liked: 1277
Quote:
I watched The Mandelorian on D+ in DV and found elevated black levels from the ATV. Not sure if the issue is Disney+ or the ATV in general. I think Bytehoven mentioned that as well but I don't recall his conclusion. I'll test that config with Oppo and other ATV apps next chance I get.

I decided to dump my 4000nit profile and copied my 1200nit config over to Cinema mode so I could fiddle with brightness and contrast without changing the curve (Javs 85/1200). I stopped at -2 brightness and +16 contrast just eyeballing it. I will look into the macros to select that mode for LLDV if it turns out to be universal. I do not have a spare extension cable handy for the RS232 connection at the moment.
Others have reported ATV presenting elevated blacks for a number of programs. The solutions are to have a user mode with brightness reduced, or running 4K SDR fixes the black levels.

JVC DLA-X990 - 128" 2.35 1.3 Gain Screen - Vertex2 - X800M2 - UB820 - ATV4K64 - ROKU Ultra - PS4 - XBone
7.1.4 Atmos - Denon X4300H + Denon 3806(LCR) - JBL Control 5 - BIC Sub - Dayton
post #622 of 2220 Old 01-05-2020, 01:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytehoven View Post
Others have reported ATV presenting elevated blacks for a number of programs. The solutions are to have a user mode with brightness reduced, or running 4K SDR fixes the black levels.
I thought that was an issue with Mandelorian, not with the ATV? or is it only with Mandelorian on ATV?
atabea likes this.

Replacing JVC Bare Bulbs

Last edited by Dominic Chan; 01-05-2020 at 09:28 PM.
post #623 of 2220 Old 01-05-2020, 03:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I thought that was an issue with Mandelorian, not the the ATV? or is it only with Mandelorian on ATV?
I think the elevated blacks (among other things) is largely confined to the Mandalorian. In general, Mandalorian is not a good example to judge any aspect of PQ.
post #624 of 2220 Old 01-05-2020, 08:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I thought that was an issue with Mandelorian, not the the ATV? or is it only with Mandelorian on ATV?
Quote:
I think the elevated blacks (among other things) is largely confined to the Mandalorian. In general, Mandalorian is not a good example to judge any aspect of PQ.
Okay, I'll try some more content and see how it goes. I am over 1000 hours and may be dimming a bit, but I found I liked Dr Strange streamed in DV with the boosted contrast over my standard HDR config.

Unrelated, I would also point out the Atmos soundtrack on Dr Strange was awesome, particularly when he is first introduced to the Astral Plane by the Ancient One. I had not heard it before as I only have the 3d version of that film on disc.
post #625 of 2220 Old 01-06-2020, 07:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I leave my ATV4K at

4K60 Dolby Vision

Ok i got it to work and boy what a freaking difference my god so many more colors... ill get back with a better review later because i have something that's bothering me but im sure you guys found a way around this..

when i hit play the screen goes to blue screen HDMI-1 no imput then after a few seconds to a blank black screen then back again to blue screen HDMI-1 no imput and then the movie starts.. This kind of kills me to much wasted time here whats the solution to this.. Other than that it looks crazy freaking good..

Yes APTV4 is finicky.

Now im going to play with the oppo.. You said I can almost guarantee you will be much more pleased with the ATV4K LLDV result on your JVC than you will with the Oppo LLDV output. Even if the disc is dolbi vision?
post #626 of 2220 Old 01-06-2020, 07:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
No problem. If you find the Javs 100 nit v3 curves too dark, you can use his 85 nit v3 curves.

I should confirm that you understand my suggestions are for the Diva to be placed between the AVR and JVC, correct?

What do you do now to select your custom curve? I still have an RS500 which has all the headaches with Gamma D and disabled Dynamic Iris when fed HDR. Does the RS640 allow you to configure what user mode you want to use for HDR? Or do you manually select your custom user mode that has your custom curve?

I use the JVC Macros in my Diva that recognize HDR10, SDR BT2020, SDR REC709, and LLDV. I have the HDR10 and LLDV macros select my user mode containing a custom curve. I have the SDR BT2020 macro select my user mode with BT2020 and Gamma 2.4 configured (for MadVR and UB820 tone mapping). I have the SDR REC709 macro do nothing. I do this so the BT2020 filter does not switch in and out every time I stop playback of content and the player menu is displayed in REC709. Avoids the fllter noise and also reduces sync times. I watch so little SDR REC709 content that I manually switch to its custom user mode when i do.

Let me finish with the dolby vision thing and then ill get back to the micro thing.. this sounds interesting...
post #627 of 2220 Old 01-06-2020, 08:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Ok i got it to work and boy what a freaking difference my god so many more colors... ill get back with a better review later because i have something that's bothering me but im sure you guys found a way around this..

when i hit play the screen goes to blue screen HDMI-1 no imput then after a few seconds to a blank black screen then back again to blue screen HDMI-1 no imput and then the movie starts.. This kind of kills me to much wasted time here whats the solution to this.. Other than that it looks crazy freaking good..

Yes APTV4 is finicky.

Now im going to play with the oppo.. You said I can almost guarantee you will be much more pleased with the ATV4K LLDV result on your JVC than you will with the Oppo LLDV output. Even if the disc is dolbi vision?
You don't get those HDMI syncs when you switch from SDR to HDR10 or switch to SDR BT2020? There should be no difference in the syncs when the JVC gets LLDV.

One thing I did a long time ago was change the blue screen to be black instead; somewhere in the menus.

If you are using AUTOMIX, you might try CUSTOM EDID 5 instead. Perhaps there is additional negotiation going on with AUTOMIX.

The only source device that I found that does not have a red tint to some degree when sending LLDV to my JVC is the ATV4K. And I can't be bothered to find a resolution for the red tint in disc playback since I use MadVR for discs instead. ATV4K LLDV for Apple TV+, Netflix, and Amazon streaming looks good enough to me that I won't be tempted to spend a fortune on an Envy for MadVR tone mapping of streaming service content.

CJ

Last edited by claw; 01-06-2020 at 09:11 AM.
post #628 of 2220 Old 01-06-2020, 10:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You don't get those HDMI syncs when you switch from SDR to HDR10 or switch to SDR BT2020? There should be no difference in the syncs when the JVC gets LLDV.

One thing I did a long time ago was change the blue screen to be black instead; somewhere in the menus.

If you are using AUTOMIX, you might try CUSTOM EDID 5 instead. Perhaps there is additional negotiation going on with AUTOMIX.

The only source device that I found that does not have a red tint to some degree when sending LLDV to my JVC is the ATV4K. And I can't be bothered to find a resolution for the red tint in disc playback since I use MadVR for discs instead. ATV4K LLDV for Apple TV+, Netflix, and Amazon streaming looks good enough to me that I won't be tempted to spend a fortune on an Envy for MadVR tone mapping of streaming service content.
Forget the oppo ill just play regular hdr10 for now.. But i have to be honest with you i was watching moana on apple through disney and it all looked good and then the red tint came on some scenes and it was really bad.. bad enough where i might just go back to my regular old set up unless we find a solution.. I was so happy watching it then the red tint in a few scenes that i had to stop it.. I've put 6 hours into this burning my bulb.. lol

I was not using automix going to try that but the syncing was terrible.. Man i want you guys to figure this out because what looks good really looks amazing but then you get some red tint and its game over at least for me..
post #629 of 2220 Old 01-06-2020, 10:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I was so happy watching it then the red tint in a few scenes that i had to stop it.. I've put 6 hours into this burning my bulb.. lol
You can try my custom LLDV profile. It cuts down the red tint and takes only a few seconds to switch (vs switching between DV and HDR10].
riddle likes this.

Replacing JVC Bare Bulbs
post #630 of 2220 Old 01-06-2020, 10:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

actually i was using custom now i went back to automix and the syncing is gone thank god.. Thank you for that i got one problem out of the way..

By the way, vudu doesnt do atmos through appletv?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply High Dynamic Range (HDR) & Wide Color Gamut (WCG)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page