Dolby Vision, including HDR10 conversion w/ DTM on Projectors? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 57Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 155 Old 10-23-2019, 11:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Bytehoven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 6,724
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1505 Post(s)
Liked: 1180
Dolby Vision, including HDR10 conversion w/ DTM on Projectors?

Dolby Vision, including HDR10 conversion w/ DTM on Projectors?

This is a HDFury DV LLDV EDID exploit of the Dolby Vision Player 5 layer included in the DV spec for display manufacturers and models like the Sony A1 OLED.

This thread is duplicating Dave's experience using the HDFury Vertex +Sony x700 4k Player and Oppo 203 + LK990, to achieve DV/DTM and HDR10/DTM on a projector.

Here is the innovation premise...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision
The wait is over!!! I know everyone has wondered and asked and there have also been many questions as to whether we could get Dolby Vision on our home theater projectors. Which amazingly also gives an awesome side benefit......... DTM (Dynamic Tone Mapping) by auto converting your HDR10 UHD HDR BR collection!!! All this, without having to pay thousands of dollars/pounds on the likes of a Lumagen Radiance Pro or MadVR PC or Envy, nor the setup and tweaking hassles. This also means that you DO NOT have to have a newer JVC 4K LCoS with it's latest FW with DTM, nor wait for your specific brand to offer it as an "upgrade". You can enjoy this no matter the brand of projector you have right now, be it Sony, Epson, Optoma, BenQ, Vivitek or even an older JVC eShift or even the vaunted RS4500/Z1!!!
I will be using the following ...

JVC x990
HDFury Vertex 4K
Sony UBP-X800M2 Player

Apple ATV4K 64 I would also note I have learned and can confirm the ATV4K will accept the DV LLDV SONY A1 EDID with DV and HDR10 content streaming from ATV+.

I had hoped to do this test with a 203, because of what Vincent has reported about highlight detail in his comparison of the 203 and es1100es (same as x800m2), where he observed the sony was slightly crushing highlights.

Panasonic UB820 (for Static Auto Tone Mapping comparison)

I anticipate the 1st challenge will be configuring the Vertex and x800M2, to achieve the required handshake, to enable the player to recognize my x990 as a DV enabled display, and achieve the DV/DTM and HDR10/DTM functionality described.


I am still formulating what criteria I'll want to observe, to make a comparison between this innovation and the best HDR2020 and SDR2020 tone mapping I can achieve with the ub820.

What to Observe & Report:

- Observe highlight reproduction.

- Observe BT2020 accuracy compared to my chadB BT2020 profile.

- Observe if my chadB HDR2020 full range curve, is satisfactory to accommodate whatever DV/DTM or HDR10/DTM signal is passed along to my x990. Or will I need to switch to the onboard st2084 controls for tweaking, until I could tweak the curve?

- Observe if there are any control options for tweaking the DV/DTM and HDR10/DTM signal, based on the variations among titles others reference when calibrating for alt DTM solutions.

- Observe the gamma performance thru the luminance range, as compared to the chadB HDR2020 full range curve, and the ub820 SDR2020 with a 2.4 and 2.2 gamma selections.

- Observe if my master projector calibrations for Contrast, Brightness and Saturation need to be altered to restore a basic calibrated condition.

- Observe any changes to WB/gray scale performance at 6500k, 7500k and High Bright color temp settings.

*** Those are off the top of my head, so feel free to recommend any other observations I might have left out ***

I have no expectations at this point.

I am hoping we might find something useful which surpasses our current appreciation of what the ub820 HDR2020 and SDR2020 static ATM modes can achieve.

However, I have no expectation this proposed innovation will compete with the current state of the art DTM of MadVR or the Lumagen Radiance Pro.

Again, I hope this is a productive endeavor.


Byte

PS ... Coming up in Nov, I am looking forward to seeing the NX7 in action, as well as possibly making a DTM comparison if warranted. I hear it may be a 5/7/9 review courtesy of JVC.
Bobkbusch, jbrinegar and catonic like this.

JVC DLA-X990 - 128" 2.35 1.3 Gain Screen - X800M2 - UB820 - ATV4K64 - ROKU Ultra - PS4 - XBone
7.1.4 Atmos - Denon X4300H + Denon 3806(LCR) - JBL Control 5 - BIC Sub - Dayton

Last edited by Bytehoven; 11-14-2019 at 02:45 PM.
Bytehoven is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 155 Old 10-23-2019, 11:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Bytehoven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 6,724
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1505 Post(s)
Liked: 1180
How To:

This section will be updated to include new info as it becomes available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision

1. Acquire and install an HDFury Vertex (or similar I would guess, i.e. - Vertex 2, Integral 2, Maestro, Diva, etc.) and use the "Sony A1" EDID in the Custom EDID List. Force HDR10 on the output by checking the "Force HDR" box (to make your projector go into its HDR PQ mode) and set then send the metadata to whatever parameters your display works best in. (MaxCLL, MaxFALL, 1,000 Nits, BT2020, D65, etc.)

2. Use a Sony (X700, X800M2, X1100ES) or Oppo (UDP-203 or 205) UHD Blu-ray player, which can each force Dolby Vision output, and activate this mode. If using the Oppo, force Dolby Vision "Player Led" mode.

(Please note the x1000es was removed as it has not received a DV update by Sony)
Quote:
Play all your favorite discs, be they HDR10 or Dolby Vision, and you will easily see the improvement! Your UHD BR player will confirm that you are getting the Dolby Vision mastering on the input and output when playing a DV disc, and DV at the output when playing an HDR10 disc, showing it's being converted to DV with DTM. (Do a long press on the "i" button on the Oppo remote to verify this).

I was able to immediately see the results with DV movies like Mortal Engines, Star Wars Last Jedi and Solo, Rocketman, The Meg, Aquaman, Justice League, Fantastic Beasts: Grindelwald, Black Panther, etc. and the best part, DTM with HDR10 discs like Blade Runner 2049, The Revenant, Guardians of the Galaxy 2, Lucy, et. al.

I also actually got HDR10+ to work as well, but the initial results weren't as good as DV. I will have to spend more time playing with that to see if there is something there.

OK, as far as the color saturation I mentioned earlier. I need someone else to test and see how they have to set their saturation/color control. I had to seriously lower mine on the LK990, but I’m not sure if this is projector specific due to the Brilliant Color, Color Enhancement or the DV conversions features.

I’ve noticed a couple times that I had to power cycle the Vertex to get DV kicked in. What I did was connect the USB power cord into the rear Oppo USB port so it powers up and down with the 203. I have the Vertex between the Oppo and AVR.

I have tested the Oppo's "HDMI Input Bypass" with DV from an AppleTV too, which also works, as well as the built in Netflix of the x700.

To See Info reported by players:

Quote:
OPPO: A long press on the “i” (info) button on the Oppo remote will show you that you’re getting the DV encode on the input and output when it’s a DV source. It will also show HDR10 input and DV output when you’re doing that conversion.

SONY: The Sony players also show the DV source when you hit the display (?) button on the bottom right of the x700 remote anyway.



Menu - Screen Shots:

(See Thumbnails at bottom)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image1.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	206.9 KB
ID:	2631474   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0461.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	1.53 MB
ID:	2631476   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0462.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	665.0 KB
ID:	2631478   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0463.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	639.0 KB
ID:	2631480   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0464.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	624.4 KB
ID:	2631482  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0465.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	344.2 KB
ID:	2631484   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0466.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	359.4 KB
ID:	2631486   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0467.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	249.1 KB
ID:	2631488   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0468.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	495.9 KB
ID:	2631490   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0470.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	498.3 KB
ID:	2631494  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0471.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	531.1 KB
ID:	2631496   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0472.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	547.0 KB
ID:	2631498   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0473.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	548.6 KB
ID:	2631500   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0474.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	509.6 KB
ID:	2631502   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0475.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	535.0 KB
ID:	2631504  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0476.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	558.5 KB
ID:	2631506  

JVC DLA-X990 - 128" 2.35 1.3 Gain Screen - X800M2 - UB820 - ATV4K64 - ROKU Ultra - PS4 - XBone
7.1.4 Atmos - Denon X4300H + Denon 3806(LCR) - JBL Control 5 - BIC Sub - Dayton

Last edited by Bytehoven; 10-25-2019 at 05:49 AM.
Bytehoven is offline  
post #3 of 155 Old 10-24-2019, 12:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Bytehoven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 6,724
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1505 Post(s)
Liked: 1180
Findings:

This DV LLDV DTM process is working with Dolby Vision titles and HDR10 titles!

Results from DV and HDR10 content with the Sony x800m2 -> Vertex (Sony A1 LLDV V2 EDID) -> Denon x4300h -> JVC DLA-X990 have been excellent. I find no issue with how any DV titles is reproduced. I do have questions how some HDR10 content is reproduced, which may benefit more from HDR2020/SDR2020 on the ub820, versus DV LLDV DTM on the x800m2. Three title examples... BR2049, Valerian and CE:TTK.

In these three cases, the question I have yet to resolve, because DV LLDV DTM and customary HDR10 processing look very different, which is more correct?

RB2049... x800m2 DV LLDV DTM has darker peak white lumens, versus what can be achieved using the ub820 Dynamic Range Slider (DRS). There is room to increase x990 master contrast with the x800m2, to achieve a similar result, but where as using the DSR on the ub820 comes with minor compromises as you move toward +12, increasing master contrast with the x800m2 will crush highlights at some point. For content mastered with MaxCLL below 1000 nits, there is room to push master contrast and preserve highlights.

Valerian ... I can't say DV LLDV DTM with Valerian looks wrong, but it is an example of content mastered in such a way as to cause some aspects of gamma response to be darker compared to HDR10 processing. And I note this title separately, because upper mid and highly reproduction is excellent, and the lower gamma response is not something the master contrast tweak fixes. But again, on this title DV LLDV DTM vs HDR10, I remain with the question which is more correct?

Close Encounters of the Third Kind ... with this title, the 4K HDR10 title remastering is something I have wondered about even when playing pack with UB820 HDR2020 or SDR2020. The remastering seems to be designed to exaggerate the look of the film stock and color timing Steven used. the DV LLDV DTM, takes this exaggeration a step or two further, making some scenes look over cooked and impacting highlights. But again, which is more correct?

In general, HDR10 content playback thru DV LLDV DTM, has had positive results. Later in this thread, I sorted my 4k collection. Subsequently, when I found I could increase master contrast on the JVC x990 from +2 to +12 or more, the ub820 DRS lost its advantage at helping to resolve dark titles.



Results from SDR1080 content with x800m2 -> Vertex (Sony DV LLDV EDID) -> AVR -> x990 If you leave DV engaged on the x800m2, the player will force a DV conversion with DV LLDV. Where as forcing a DV conversion with HDR10 has been good, DV conversion with SDR comes with many side effects. Side effects too numerous to entertain ever using DV LLDV with SDR content. So, on the x800m2, one should disengage DV when hosting SDR content, which is easy to remember and do, versus guessing how 4K UHD titles have been mastered.



Results from ATV 4K 64 -> Vertex (Sony A1 LLDV EDID) -> Denon x4300h -> JVC X990 have been excellent with DV content, namely watching episodes of The Morning Show and SEE. I have yet to check HDR10 content from the ATV4k thru the DV LLDV. I also have to see if anything is happening to SDR content, if DV LLDV is passing thru or forcing a DV conversion. The latter being a bad step.



Results from Panasonic UB820 ... DV LLDV will work with a source capable of DV output when playing DV content. However, I could see a difference between DV content on the x800m2 versus the UB820. DV LLDV on the ub820 was crushing highlights, and even reducing master contrast, I was unable to resolve some highlights which were resolved on the x800m2. HDR10 content on the UB820 with the DV LLDV engaged, passes thru as HDR, as the UBxxxx are equipped to support DV LLDV the way the Sony and OPPO players do.


I will continue to expand this post, moving more info here. Thanks for looking.

JVC DLA-X990 - 128" 2.35 1.3 Gain Screen - X800M2 - UB820 - ATV4K64 - ROKU Ultra - PS4 - XBone
7.1.4 Atmos - Denon X4300H + Denon 3806(LCR) - JBL Control 5 - BIC Sub - Dayton

Last edited by Bytehoven; 11-11-2019 at 10:15 AM.
Bytehoven is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 155 Old 10-24-2019, 04:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
skylarlove1999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,043
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1042 Post(s)
Liked: 722
Byte[/quote]Thank you for undertaking this endeavor. Much appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Bytehoven likes this.

Last edited by skylarlove1999; 10-24-2019 at 09:51 AM.
skylarlove1999 is online now  
post #5 of 155 Old 10-24-2019, 08:19 AM
Senior Member
 
MJ DOOM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: COOK COUNTY, IL
Posts: 454
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 81
@zombie10k can you post your findings on this, here? Thanks.
Bytehoven likes this.

I unfold the scroll, plant seeds to stampede the globe
When I'm deceased, by then the beast arise like yeast
to conquer peace leaving savages to roam in the streets.
MJ DOOM is online now  
post #6 of 155 Old 10-24-2019, 05:24 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Kris Deering's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: The Pacific Northwet
Posts: 10,871
Mentioned: 204 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4058 Post(s)
Liked: 7093
Interesting idea. It would be crucial to ensure that the metadata that you set for the DISPLAY in the Fury matches your own display perfectly. Also, PLAYER LED for a DV output doesn't work well and has issues on the color side, so results may vary.

With player LED output you are getting an HDR12 signal (12 bit HDR), so you would have to know exactly what the projector needs to be calibrated to to ensure that the signal is represented properly. This would be based on what the Sony (the display you are emulating based on the EDID) does for its base layer for Dolby Vision. That may be a few different things as this approach (player led) typically leads to both the player and the display doing some tone mapping (not just one of them). So without know what base calibration for this to overlay on, you may get disappointing results, but no reason not to try it for fun.

My Home Theater UPDATED DEC 2017
Technical Editor/Writer Sound and Vision Magazine
Deep Dive AV - Calibration, Consulting and Education
Kris Deering is offline  
post #7 of 155 Old 10-24-2019, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Bytehoven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 6,724
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1505 Post(s)
Liked: 1180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering View Post
Interesting idea. It would be crucial to ensure that the metadata that you set for the DISPLAY in the Fury matches your own display perfectly. Also, PLAYER LED for a DV output doesn't work well and has issues on the color side, so results may vary.

With player LED output you are getting an HDR12 signal (12 bit HDR), so you would have to know exactly what the projector needs to be calibrated to to ensure that the signal is represented properly. This would be based on what the Sony (the display you are emulating based on the EDID) does for its base layer for Dolby Vision. That may be a few different things as this approach (player led) typically leads to both the player and the display doing some tone mapping (not just one of them). So without know what base calibration for this to overlay on, you may get disappointing results, but no reason not to try it for fun.
Thanks Kris... when approaching the mix of issues you mention, what order would you suggest they be addressed?

For instance, if I start with Chad's curve as the "display tone map", would I experiment with vertex meta data variations, toward a better match and getting best results?

Dave noted when trying to spoof other EDIDs, they resulted in major color shifts. While spoofing ths Sony A1 EDID removed the color profile mismatch. Might the Sony A1 EDID be taking into account the HDR12 <-> HDR10 variations?

Is it possible, if the Sony A1 EDID was designed to have the display do as little as possible, the potential for conflicts which could undermine a beneficial result in this test, may have been reduced?

A less is more kind of thing.

JVC DLA-X990 - 128" 2.35 1.3 Gain Screen - X800M2 - UB820 - ATV4K64 - ROKU Ultra - PS4 - XBone
7.1.4 Atmos - Denon X4300H + Denon 3806(LCR) - JBL Control 5 - BIC Sub - Dayton

Last edited by Bytehoven; 10-24-2019 at 08:04 PM.
Bytehoven is offline  
post #8 of 155 Old 10-24-2019, 09:12 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
zombie10k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 12,925
Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5419 Post(s)
Liked: 5778
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ DOOM View Post
@zombie10k can you post your findings on this, here? Thanks.
Hi, yes here are some initial findings.

Setup:

  • Oppo 203 and 205, both running latest firmware
  • JVC RS600
  • HDfury Vertex
  • For this test I had the Oppo 203 -> HDfury Vertex -> JVC RS600 projector.

Observations:

  • If streaming UHD content from network storage - UHD HDR MKV's will not engage the 'DV' mode. They must be in the AVCHD folder structure
  • The Vertex will force the JVC into HDR mode. For the RS600, this means Gamma D. You can then later select a different gamma. forum member @Willie confirmed this setup forced his RS500 into Gamma D mode and his RS1000 into it's standard HDR settings which appeared noticeably over saturated.
  • This is NOT SDR/BT2020 - meaning the Gamma mode you must use has to be an HDR curve. Either factory or uploaded custom curve. In this case, I used one of my custom curves since Gamma D is always terrible.
  • DI is now disabled on the RS600 since it's seeing the HDR signal
  • I first looked at a few familiar scenes in Bladerunner 2049 and Lucy. It doesn't look quite right- overall flat looking image compared to baseline. Saturation was off in different scenes. Then I switched to the S&M UHD HDR demo disc and it's off by 3 galaxies. Highlights are way overblown and the whole gamma curve takes a hit for the worse. Color is off as well.

I will take a look further and see if there are any obvious ways to bring this back to a baseline. I don't want to burn up a lot of time since i'm focused on testing latest MadVR builds which looks amazing in comparison.

I am willing to try any settings that other JVC's owners come up. I even have 2 JVC RS600's here and could do an A/B split between MadVR and this experiment.










Craig Peer likes this.
zombie10k is online now  
post #9 of 155 Old 10-24-2019, 09:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Bytehoven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 6,724
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1505 Post(s)
Liked: 1180
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
Hi, yes here are some initial findings.

Setup:

  • Oppo 203 and 205, both running latest firmware
  • JVC RS600
  • HDfury Vertex
  • For this test I had the Oppo 203 -> HDfury Vertex -> JVC RS600 projector.

Observations:

  • If streaming UHD content from network storage - UHD HDR MKV's will not engage the 'DV' mode. They must be in the AVCHD folder structure
  • The Vertex will force the JVC into HDR mode. For the RS600, this means Gamma D. You can then later select a different gamma. forum member @Willie confirmed this setup forced his RS500 into Gamma D mode and his RS1000 into it's standard HDR settings which appeared noticeably over saturated.
  • This is NOT SDR/BT2020 - meaning the Gamma mode you must use has to be an HDR curve. Either factory or uploaded custom curve. In this case, I used one of my custom curves since Gamma D is always terrible.
  • DI is now disabled on the RS600 since it's seeing the HDR signal
  • I first looked at a few familiar scenes in Bladerunner 2049 and Lucy. It doesn't look quite right- overall flat looking image compared to baseline. Saturation was off in different scenes. Then I switched to the S&M UHD HDR demo disc and it's off by 3 galaxies. Highlights are way overblown and the whole gamma curve takes a hit for the worse. Color is off as well.

I will take a look further and see if there are any obvious ways to bring this back to a baseline. I don't want to burn up a lot of time since i'm focused on testing latest MadVR builds which looks amazing in comparison.

I am willing to try any settings that other JVC's owners come up. I even have 2 JVC RS600's here and could do an A/B split between MadVR and this experiment.
Thanks...

Do you have vertex GUI screen shots you can share? Just wanted to make see if you and willie had anything set different than what Dave posted for the lk990.

JVC DLA-X990 - 128" 2.35 1.3 Gain Screen - X800M2 - UB820 - ATV4K64 - ROKU Ultra - PS4 - XBone
7.1.4 Atmos - Denon X4300H + Denon 3806(LCR) - JBL Control 5 - BIC Sub - Dayton
Bytehoven is offline  
post #10 of 155 Old 10-24-2019, 10:06 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
zombie10k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 12,925
Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5419 Post(s)
Liked: 5778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytehoven View Post
Thanks...

Do you have vertex GUI screen shots you can share? Just wanted to make see if you and willie had anything set different than what Dave posted for the lk990.
Willie and I have the same Vertex info.

this method is relying on a baseline HDR curve (double tone mapping?). I tried several different custom curves and none of them look like a standard baseline curve or SDR/BT2020.

I'd like to explore some evidence that DTM is actually occurring? With MadVR it's clear as day on the S&M demos vs. SDR/BT2020 vs. static curves.

let me know when you get it all set up so we can compare configurations and different UHD content.




Bytehoven likes this.
zombie10k is online now  
post #11 of 155 Old 10-26-2019, 05:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Bytehoven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 6,724
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1505 Post(s)
Liked: 1180
No results yet. Still trying to get the proper handshake for LLDV.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-10-26 at 7.04.39 AM.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	114.4 KB
ID:	2632316  

JVC DLA-X990 - 128" 2.35 1.3 Gain Screen - X800M2 - UB820 - ATV4K64 - ROKU Ultra - PS4 - XBone
7.1.4 Atmos - Denon X4300H + Denon 3806(LCR) - JBL Control 5 - BIC Sub - Dayton
Bytehoven is offline  
post #12 of 155 Old 10-26-2019, 05:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
skylarlove1999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,043
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1042 Post(s)
Liked: 722
Thank you for keeping at it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
skylarlove1999 is online now  
post #13 of 155 Old 10-26-2019, 10:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
claw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: L'Etoile du Nord
Posts: 3,027
Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2377 Post(s)
Liked: 2238
I managed to get this working last night.

First, I don't consider this to be Dynamic Tone Mapping in the typical sense of the term. I don't believe there is any frame by frame analysis going on. Instead this is likely just normal LLDV output processing that uses the extra layer of scene by scene metadata present in all Dolby Vision content. I don't consider Dolby Vision processing to be DTM.

Second, I don't see the point in taking HDR10 content, having the player convert it to Dolby Vision using the Dolby SDK provided to player manufacturers, and then having the player perform Player-led Dolby Vision processing to output LLDV. You don't have any idea what scene by scene metadata is being injected when the HDR10 source is converted to Dolby Vision.

A better use in my opinion is to have the original Dolby Vision content on UHD Disc or Netflix/Amazon processed by the player to directly output LLDV. In this case the scene by scene metadata is from the original Dolby Vision source. And perhaps the resulting LLDV output could look better after scene by scene metadata tone mapping than you would get with tone mapping the original HDR10 source.

Oppo 203 > Denon X6400H > HDfury Diva > JVC RS500

Note: If your AVR does not support Dolby Vision pass through you may need to bypass the AVR.


Oppo 203:
Configured Dolby Vision as Player Led.
Configured HDR as Auto. You would only need HDR option set to Dolby Vision if you want to convert HDR10 content to Dolby Vision. Not when you are actually playing Dolby Vision content.

HDfury Diva (should be same for Vertex or Vertex2 or Integral2 or Maestro):
Selected the Custom EDID radio button on the EDID page.
Selected the Sony A1 LLDV V2 custom EDID for the Diva input that is connected to my AVR.

Note: I was also able to use Automix mode and mark the Force LLDV checkbox that is present in the Diva GUI.

I did not configure the Diva to inject HDR metadata. The only reason to do this would be to trigger your display device to go into its HDR10 picture mode. Since I can manually select an HDR10 User Mode in my RS500 configured with a custom Arve curve, I don't need to have the Diva send HDR metadata. The HDR metadata would just get into the way by forcing Gamma D and disabling the dynamic iris.

Note: I am certain that HDfury allowed the Disable HDR checkbox in combination with custom metadata injection in the Vertex that I used previous to my Diva so that the injected metadata did not trigger Gamma D in my JVC. But perhaps this was not implemented in the Diva.

Note 2: The HDfury JVC macros are not identifying this LLDV input. The SDR BT.2020 macro is triggered so I have to manually select my HDR10 User Mode. Maybe if I did inject HDR metadata the HDR BT2020 macro would be executed.


JVC RS500: Manually selected my 4000 nit custom Arve curve since I don't know how high the original Dolby Vision scene by scene metadata might be and I didn't want to clip highlights by choosing my 1000 nit curve.


Dolby Vision UHD disc playback:
- The Oppo extended information screen reported Dolby Vision source and Dolby Vision output.
- The HDfury Diva reported 4K24 4:2:2 12-bit DV input and 4K24 4:2:2 12-bit DV output. This is the format for LLDV (Player led Dolby Vision). TV led Dolby Vision is transmitted inside an RGB container and would be reported as 4K24 RGB 8-bit. So the Diva is confirming that it received and outputted LLDV.
- My JVC RS500 does not report that it is receiving HDR. If I leave it in an SDR user mode, the picture is washed out as expected if the content is actually HDR. If I manually select one of my custom Arve curve user modes, the picture looks correct.


Impressions:
The picture from Atomic Blonde and MI:Fallout both looked good to my eyes. I did not have time to do any comparison between the LLDV picture and the HDR10 picture of the same disc.

The LLDV output must be following the PQ curve since I have to use an HDR curve in my JVC to get the picture to look correct. This was surprising to me but on the other hand it does make it simple for those Sony TVs that couldn't do TV led Dolby Vision processing.

I don't see anything magical in all of this. There is no DTM as far as I can tell. It is just normal player led LLDV processing of Dolby Vision content using the extra scene by scene picture information present in all Dolby Vision content. The player tone maps using that scene by scene information to a 4K 4:2:2 12-bit BT2020 output that follows the PQ curve.

In fact, I am wondering why I never tried this before. HDfury quite a while ago mentioned in a post that some owners were sending LLDV to their non-Dolby Vision display devices.

CJ
JVC RS500|LG B7A OLED|Denon X6400H/X4200W|Panasonic UB820|Two Oppo 203|Samsung K8500|Apple TV 4K|HDfury Diva/Vertex/Linker/Integral

Last edited by claw; 10-26-2019 at 10:43 AM.
claw is online now  
post #14 of 155 Old 10-26-2019, 11:03 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
zombie10k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 12,925
Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5419 Post(s)
Liked: 5778
Quote:
Originally Posted by claw View Post

I don't see anything magical in all of this. There is no DTM as far as I can tell. It is just normal player led LLDV processing of Dolby Vision content using the extra scene by scene picture information present in all Dolby Vision content. The player tone maps using that scene by scene information to a 4K 4:2:2 12-bit BT2020 output that follows the PQ curve.

Second, I don't see the point in taking HDR10 content, having the player convert it to Dolby Vision using the Dolby SDK provided to player manufacturers, and then having the player perform Player-led Dolby Vision processing to output LLDV. You don't have any idea what scene by scene metadata is being injected when the HDR10 source is converted to Dolby Vision.
Hi, thank you for the detailed feedback. I ended up using a 4000 Nit custom curve as well and resolved the clipping I was seeing.

I looked at more HDR10 content last night, I don't see evidence of DTM. I have a 2nd RS600 set up with MadVR and was able to run some A/B with the same source. MadVR is doing a remarkable job with frame by frame.
Bytehoven likes this.
zombie10k is online now  
post #15 of 155 Old 10-26-2019, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Bytehoven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 6,724
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1505 Post(s)
Liked: 1180
I'm curious if you see any difference between the auto LLDV and the custom A1 LLDV?

Which DV title were you using to test the 4000 nit curve?

JVC DLA-X990 - 128" 2.35 1.3 Gain Screen - X800M2 - UB820 - ATV4K64 - ROKU Ultra - PS4 - XBone
7.1.4 Atmos - Denon X4300H + Denon 3806(LCR) - JBL Control 5 - BIC Sub - Dayton
Bytehoven is offline  
post #16 of 155 Old 10-26-2019, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Bytehoven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 6,724
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1505 Post(s)
Liked: 1180
Finally up and running after flashing the vertex with latest firmware(s). Thanks cjakes.

I only have have 4 DV titles. (unless there are others not properly marked)

John3wick
SW the last jedi
Justice league
Ready player one
Valerian(?)

I've watch Ready Player One so often its a good title for me to just get a 1st impression.

Color looks very good.

Gamma performance ... over all it's darker than usual. Shadow detail is pretty low, and overall gamma looks tight but dark.

If I push picture tone, I will crush whites. If I push master contrast, I will crush whites. There appears to be a little more room to tinker with both to get back some overall peak whites lumens, but not nearly as well as pushing the dynamic luminance slider on the ub820 under HDR2020 or SDR2020 modes.

I'd be curious to hear regarding tweaking a new custom curve, did you also find you could push things hotter? Like the gamma coming out of the DV process is running higher than 2.4, with room to go further with the curve to get back into the 2.2 to 2.4 range?

I can see where some DTM love on the display side could bake in some additional peak white lumens without necessarily crushing things.

I did not tinker at all on the shadow detail yet, as I need to take a family break. I did briefly push Dark Level on the JVC to +7, but that was not enough. I might need to recalibrate black floor 1st with the master brightness.

I will say, despite being too dark over all for my taste, the over all balance from the lower mids on up is looking pretty solid, and down right attractive.

I tested Passengers, in the bar, and forcing DV versus letting it run HDR, I liked what DV did to the look of the contrast (maybe because it was a tad darker over all?). I have been playing around with the Gamma B on the JVC, and it's a step in that direction, although not as far on either the top & bottom like Gamma B does.

Anyway. I think I can see the potential of this hack, if there was just an additional output stage that applied some dynamic luminance push. Something maybe fine tuning a curve might be able to accomplish.

More playtime later tonight.

JVC DLA-X990 - 128" 2.35 1.3 Gain Screen - X800M2 - UB820 - ATV4K64 - ROKU Ultra - PS4 - XBone
7.1.4 Atmos - Denon X4300H + Denon 3806(LCR) - JBL Control 5 - BIC Sub - Dayton

Last edited by Bytehoven; 10-27-2019 at 10:36 AM.
Bytehoven is offline  
post #17 of 155 Old 10-26-2019, 12:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
skylarlove1999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,043
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1042 Post(s)
Liked: 722
Thanks for your first impressions.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
skylarlove1999 is online now  
post #18 of 155 Old 10-26-2019, 01:28 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
zombie10k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 12,925
Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5419 Post(s)
Liked: 5778
I've tested Spiderman homecoming, Aquaman, RP1, Justice League and SW last jedi for the DV content. MadVR is doing a noticeably better job with frame by frame using the HDR10 source.

For HDR10 content, I agree with Claw, I'm not sure I see the point or any real advantages here vs. a good custom curve or SDR/BT2020 from a UB820 or UB420.

Let me know if there's any specific scenes you think are different from the regular curves. I have both RS600's set up in a stack, one with the Oppo and the other with MadVR latest builds. MadVR is the frame of reference, it's really worth looking into and seeing first hand.
Bytehoven likes this.
zombie10k is online now  
post #19 of 155 Old 10-26-2019, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Bytehoven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 6,724
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1505 Post(s)
Liked: 1180
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
I've tested Spiderman homecoming, Aquaman, RP1, Justice League and SW last jedi for the DV content. MadVR is doing a noticeably better job with frame by frame using the HDR10 source.

For HDR10 content, I agree with Claw, I'm not sure I see the point or any real advantages here vs. a good custom curve or SDR/BT2020 from a UB820 or UB420.

Let me know if there's any specific scenes you think are different from the regular curves. I have both RS600's set up in a stack, one with the Oppo and the other with MadVR latest builds. MadVR is the frame of reference, it's really worth looking into and seeing first hand.
Looking at Ryan's hdr10 calibration disc, the DV process did not expand the reproduction of highlights above 1000nits the way optimizer does in both HDR2020 and SDR2020. I was thinking about getting his DV suite if that be a better fit for calibrating.

I'm wondering if any DV titles are mastered with MaxCLL above 1000nits?

JVC DLA-X990 - 128" 2.35 1.3 Gain Screen - X800M2 - UB820 - ATV4K64 - ROKU Ultra - PS4 - XBone
7.1.4 Atmos - Denon X4300H + Denon 3806(LCR) - JBL Control 5 - BIC Sub - Dayton
Bytehoven is offline  
post #20 of 155 Old 10-27-2019, 08:12 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Mike Garrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 26,735
Mentioned: 254 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12706 Post(s)
Liked: 10326
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by claw View Post
I managed to get this working last night.

First, I don't consider this to be Dynamic Tone Mapping in the typical sense of the term. I don't believe there is any frame by frame analysis going on. Instead this is likely just normal LLDV output processing that uses the extra layer of scene by scene metadata present in all Dolby Vision content. I don't consider Dolby Vision processing to be DTM.

Second, I don't see the point in taking HDR10 content, having the player convert it to Dolby Vision using the Dolby SDK provided to player manufacturers, and then having the player perform Player-led Dolby Vision processing to output LLDV. You don't have any idea what scene by scene metadata is being injected when the HDR10 source is converted to Dolby Vision.

A better use in my opinion is to have the original Dolby Vision content on UHD Disc or Netflix/Amazon processed by the player to directly output LLDV. In this case the scene by scene metadata is from the original Dolby Vision source. And perhaps the resulting LLDV output could look better after scene by scene metadata tone mapping than you would get with tone mapping the original HDR10 source.

Oppo 203 > Denon X6400H > HDfury Diva > JVC RS500

Note: If your AVR does not support Dolby Vision pass through you may need to bypass the AVR.


Oppo 203:
Configured Dolby Vision as Player Led.
Configured HDR as Auto. You would only need HDR option set to Dolby Vision if you want to convert HDR10 content to Dolby Vision. Not when you are actually playing Dolby Vision content.

HDfury Diva (should be same for Vertex or Vertex2 or Integral2 or Maestro):
Selected the Custom EDID radio button on the EDID page.
Selected the Sony A1 LLDV V2 custom EDID for the Diva input that is connected to my AVR.

Note: I was also able to use Automix mode and mark the Force LLDV checkbox that is present in the Diva GUI.

I did not configure the Diva to inject HDR metadata. The only reason to do this would be to trigger your display device to go into its HDR10 picture mode. Since I can manually select an HDR10 User Mode in my RS500 configured with a custom Arve curve, I don't need to have the Diva send HDR metadata. The HDR metadata would just get into the way by forcing Gamma D and disabling the dynamic iris.

Note: I am certain that HDfury allowed the Disable HDR checkbox in combination with custom metadata injection in the Vertex that I used previous to my Diva so that the injected metadata did not trigger Gamma D in my JVC. But perhaps this was not implemented in the Diva.

Note 2: The HDfury JVC macros are not identifying this LLDV input. The SDR BT.2020 macro is triggered so I have to manually select my HDR10 User Mode. Maybe if I did inject HDR metadata the HDR BT2020 macro would be executed.


JVC RS500: Manually selected my 4000 nit custom Arve curve since I don't know how high the original Dolby Vision scene by scene metadata might be and I didn't want to clip highlights by choosing my 1000 nit curve.


Dolby Vision UHD disc playback:
- The Oppo extended information screen reported Dolby Vision source and Dolby Vision output.
- The HDfury Diva reported 4K24 4:2:2 12-bit DV input and 4K24 4:2:2 12-bit DV output. This is the format for LLDV (Player led Dolby Vision). TV led Dolby Vision is transmitted inside an RGB container and would be reported as 4K24 RGB 8-bit. So the Diva is confirming that it received and outputted LLDV.
- My JVC RS500 does not report that it is receiving HDR. If I leave it in an SDR user mode, the picture is washed out as expected if the content is actually HDR. If I manually select one of my custom Arve curve user modes, the picture looks correct.


Impressions:
The picture from Atomic Blonde and MI:Fallout both looked good to my eyes. I did not have time to do any comparison between the LLDV picture and the HDR10 picture of the same disc.

The LLDV output must be following the PQ curve since I have to use an HDR curve in my JVC to get the picture to look correct. This was surprising to me but on the other hand it does make it simple for those Sony TVs that couldn't do TV led Dolby Vision processing.

I don't see anything magical in all of this. There is no DTM as far as I can tell. It is just normal player led LLDV processing of Dolby Vision content using the extra scene by scene picture information present in all Dolby Vision content. The player tone maps using that scene by scene information to a 4K 4:2:2 12-bit BT2020 output that follows the PQ curve.

In fact, I am wondering why I never tried this before. HDfury quite a while ago mentioned in a post that some owners were sending LLDV to their non-Dolby Vision display devices.
Yep. Stacey Spears said that flat panel owners had tried this a while back.
Mike Garrett is online now  
post #21 of 155 Old 10-27-2019, 09:53 AM
Member
 
danbez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Seattle
Posts: 184
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
Yep. Stacey Spears said that flat panel owners had tried this a while back.
The scenario I am more interested is if Dolby Vision items from Netflix/Amazon looks considerably better with this approach vs the Panasonic tone mapping. Specially for Netflix, since the HDR->SDR conversion also drops to BT-709.
Bytehoven likes this.
danbez is online now  
post #22 of 155 Old 10-27-2019, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Bytehoven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 6,724
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1505 Post(s)
Liked: 1180
Quote:
Originally Posted by claw View Post
... In fact, I am wondering why I never tried this before. HDfury quite a while ago mentioned in a post that some owners were sending LLDV to their non-Dolby Vision display devices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by danbez View Post
The scenario I am more interested is if Dolby Vision items from Netflix/Amazon looks considerably better with this approach vs the Panasonic tone mapping. Specially for Netflix, since the HDR->SDR conversion also drops to BT-709.
I'd love to see what jvc DTM did with a DV title LLDV output.

JVC DLA-X990 - 128" 2.35 1.3 Gain Screen - X800M2 - UB820 - ATV4K64 - ROKU Ultra - PS4 - XBone
7.1.4 Atmos - Denon X4300H + Denon 3806(LCR) - JBL Control 5 - BIC Sub - Dayton

Last edited by Bytehoven; 10-27-2019 at 10:39 AM.
Bytehoven is offline  
post #23 of 155 Old 10-27-2019, 11:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
claw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: L'Etoile du Nord
Posts: 3,027
Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2377 Post(s)
Liked: 2238
Quote:
Originally Posted by danbez View Post
The scenario I am more interested is if Dolby Vision items from Netflix/Amazon looks considerably better with this approach vs the Panasonic tone mapping. Specially for Netflix, since the HDR->SDR conversion also drops to BT-709.
I plan to try this LLDV hack with my Apple TV 4K and Netflix. For HDR10 displays, the ATV converts Dolby Vision content to HDR10; sometimes sending invalid or variable metadata. There is no separate Netflix HDR10 version with the ATV. All Netflix titles are either Dolby Vision or SDR.

I will also try Netflix from my Panasonic UB820 player. The UB820 won't convert HDR10 to Dolby Vision LLDV since it does not have a Force DV like the Oppo does. But it should be able to send the Dolby Vision version of Netflix titles as LLDV.
Bytehoven and Dominic Chan like this.

CJ
JVC RS500|LG B7A OLED|Denon X6400H/X4200W|Panasonic UB820|Two Oppo 203|Samsung K8500|Apple TV 4K|HDfury Diva/Vertex/Linker/Integral
claw is online now  
post #24 of 155 Old 10-27-2019, 11:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
claw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: L'Etoile du Nord
Posts: 3,027
Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2377 Post(s)
Liked: 2238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytehoven View Post
I'd love to see what jvc DTM did with a DV title LLDV output.
You would need to use a DTM mode that ignored any HDR10 metadata values since you would be injecting manually entered metadata values from the Vertex that may not have any relevance to the content. If you did not inject metadata, the JVC would likely see the input as SDR BT2020 and you would need to manually engage the DTM picture mode.

The JVC Macros in my HDfury Diva trigger the SDR BT2020 macro which puts my RS500 into my SDR BT2020 user mode when I don't inject HDR metadata, and I have to manually select my HDR custom curve user mode. But that is better than injecting metadata since that forces Gamma D and disables the DI. If I decide this LLDV hack is of use for some content sources, I will ask HDfury if an additional JVC Macro could be added that is triggered by LLDV so I can choose which JVC user mode I want be be selected.
Bytehoven likes this.

CJ
JVC RS500|LG B7A OLED|Denon X6400H/X4200W|Panasonic UB820|Two Oppo 203|Samsung K8500|Apple TV 4K|HDfury Diva/Vertex/Linker/Integral
claw is online now  
post #25 of 155 Old 10-27-2019, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Bytehoven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 6,724
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1505 Post(s)
Liked: 1180
Quote:
Originally Posted by claw View Post
You would need to use a DTM mode that ignored any HDR10 metadata values since you would be injecting manually entered metadata values from the Vertex that may not have any relevance to the content. If you did not inject metadata, the JVC would likely see the input as SDR BT2020 and you would need to manually engage the DTM picture mode.

The JVC Macros in my HDfury Diva trigger the SDR BT2020 macro which puts my RS500 into my SDR BT2020 user mode when I don't inject HDR metadata, and I have to manually select my HDR custom curve user mode. But that is better than injecting metadata since that forces Gamma D and disables the DI. If I decide this LLDV hack is of use for some content sources, I will ask HDfury if an additional JVC Macro could be added that is triggered by LLDV so I can choose which JVC user mode I want be be selected.
Can the vertex execute a similar macro? I assume yes, but I'm new to the hdfury products.

JVC DLA-X990 - 128" 2.35 1.3 Gain Screen - X800M2 - UB820 - ATV4K64 - ROKU Ultra - PS4 - XBone
7.1.4 Atmos - Denon X4300H + Denon 3806(LCR) - JBL Control 5 - BIC Sub - Dayton
Bytehoven is offline  
post #26 of 155 Old 10-27-2019, 01:12 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Mike Garrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 26,735
Mentioned: 254 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12706 Post(s)
Liked: 10326
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytehoven View Post
I'd love to see what jvc DTM did with a DV title LLDV output.
I doubt it does anything different than it does with any HDR10 title. Because JVC ignores all metadata and measures each frame or each scene. So having DV metadata should not change anything.

Added
Since you are talking DTM, I assume you mean the new JVC's? I don't believe any DTM is going on using this method with the E-shift JVC's.

Last edited by Mike Garrett; 10-27-2019 at 01:15 PM.
Mike Garrett is online now  
post #27 of 155 Old 10-27-2019, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Bytehoven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 6,724
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1505 Post(s)
Liked: 1180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
I doubt it does anything different than it does with any HDR10 title. Because JVC ignores all metadata and measures each frame or each scene. So having DV metadata should not change anything.

Added
Since you are talking DTM, I assume you mean the new JVC's? I don't believe any DTM is going on using this method with the E-shift JVC's.
Thanks Mike... Have you tried LLDV on the nx series? Have you tried LLDV on the eshift series?

JVC DLA-X990 - 128" 2.35 1.3 Gain Screen - X800M2 - UB820 - ATV4K64 - ROKU Ultra - PS4 - XBone
7.1.4 Atmos - Denon X4300H + Denon 3806(LCR) - JBL Control 5 - BIC Sub - Dayton
Bytehoven is offline  
post #28 of 155 Old 10-27-2019, 10:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
claw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: L'Etoile du Nord
Posts: 3,027
Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2377 Post(s)
Liked: 2238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
I doubt it does anything different than it does with any HDR10 title. Because JVC ignores all metadata and measures each frame or each scene. So having DV metadata should not change anything.

Added
Since you are talking DTM, I assume you mean the new JVC's? I don't believe any DTM is going on using this method with the E-shift JVC's.
I don't think there is any DV metadata remaining in the LLDV output sent to the display device. That metadata was used by the player in creating the LLDV output.

CJ
JVC RS500|LG B7A OLED|Denon X6400H/X4200W|Panasonic UB820|Two Oppo 203|Samsung K8500|Apple TV 4K|HDfury Diva/Vertex/Linker/Integral
claw is online now  
post #29 of 155 Old 10-27-2019, 10:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
claw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: L'Etoile du Nord
Posts: 3,027
Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2377 Post(s)
Liked: 2238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytehoven View Post
Can the vertex execute a similar macro? I assume yes, but I'm new to the hdfury products.
Vertex, Vertex2, Integral2, Diva, and Maestro all have JVC Macros. You connect the HDfury device to the JVC projector using an RS-232 cable. The HDfury device sends commands to switch to the JVC custom user modes you have configured in the Macros depending upon the source format.
Bytehoven likes this.

CJ
JVC RS500|LG B7A OLED|Denon X6400H/X4200W|Panasonic UB820|Two Oppo 203|Samsung K8500|Apple TV 4K|HDfury Diva/Vertex/Linker/Integral
claw is online now  
post #30 of 155 Old 10-28-2019, 03:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Bytehoven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 6,724
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1505 Post(s)
Liked: 1180
Quote:
Originally Posted by claw View Post
Vertex, Vertex2, Integral2, Diva, and Maestro all have JVC Macros. You connect the HDfury device to the JVC projector using an RS-232 cable. The HDfury device sends commands to switch to the JVC custom user modes you have configured in the Macros depending upon the source format.
Thanks claw... The rs232 signal can easily travel 30'+ if I don't want to locate the vertex at the projector, correct? My vertex previous owner was using it with his rs600, so he included that mini-plub -> rs232 adapter.

JVC DLA-X990 - 128" 2.35 1.3 Gain Screen - X800M2 - UB820 - ATV4K64 - ROKU Ultra - PS4 - XBone
7.1.4 Atmos - Denon X4300H + Denon 3806(LCR) - JBL Control 5 - BIC Sub - Dayton
Bytehoven is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply High Dynamic Range (HDR) & Wide Color Gamut (WCG)

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off