Dolby Vision, including HDR10 conversion w/ DTM on Projectors?
This is a HDFury DV LLDV EDID exploit of the Dolby Vision Player 5 layer included in the DV spec for display manufacturers and models like the Sony A1 OLED.
This thread is duplicating Dave's experience using the HDFury Vertex +Sony x700 4k Player and Oppo 203 + LK990, to achieve DV/DTM and HDR10/DTM on a projector.
Here is the innovation premise...
Originally Posted by HarperVision
The wait is over!!! I know everyone has wondered and asked and there have also been many questions as to whether we could get Dolby Vision on our home theater projectors. Which amazingly also gives an awesome side benefit......... DTM (Dynamic Tone Mapping) by auto converting your HDR10 UHD HDR BR collection!!! All this, without having to pay thousands of dollars/pounds on the likes of a Lumagen Radiance Pro or MadVR PC or Envy, nor the setup and tweaking hassles. This also means that you DO NOT have to have a newer JVC 4K LCoS with it's latest FW with DTM, nor wait for your specific brand to offer it as an "upgrade". You can enjoy this no matter the brand of projector you have right now, be it Sony, Epson, Optoma, BenQ, Vivitek or even an older JVC eShift or even the vaunted RS4500/Z1!!!
I will be using the following ...
HDFury Vertex 4K
Sony UBP-X800M2 Player
Apple ATV4K 64
I would also note I have learned and can confirm the ATV4K will accept the DV LLDV SONY A1 EDID with DV and HDR10 content streaming from ATV+.
I had hoped to do this test with a 203, because of what Vincent has reported about highlight detail in his comparison of the 203 and es1100es (same as x800m2), where he observed the sony was slightly crushing highlights.
(for Static Auto Tone Mapping comparison)
I anticipate the 1st challenge will be configuring the Vertex and x800M2, to achieve the required handshake, to enable the player to recognize my x990 as a DV enabled display, and achieve the DV/DTM and HDR10/DTM functionality described.
I am still formulating what criteria I'll want to observe, to make a comparison between this innovation and the best HDR2020 and SDR2020 tone mapping I can achieve with the ub820.
What to Observe & Report:
- Observe highlight reproduction.
- Observe BT2020 accuracy compared to my chadB BT2020 profile.
- Observe if my chadB HDR2020 full range curve, is satisfactory to accommodate whatever DV/DTM or HDR10/DTM signal is passed along to my x990. Or will I need to switch to the onboard st2084 controls for tweaking, until I could tweak the curve?
- Observe if there are any control options for tweaking the DV/DTM and HDR10/DTM signal, based on the variations among titles others reference when calibrating for alt DTM solutions.
- Observe the gamma performance thru the luminance range, as compared to the chadB HDR2020 full range curve, and the ub820 SDR2020 with a 2.4 and 2.2 gamma selections.
- Observe if my master projector calibrations for Contrast, Brightness and Saturation need to be altered to restore a basic calibrated condition.
- Observe any changes to WB/gray scale performance at 6500k, 7500k and High Bright color temp settings.
*** Those are off the top of my head, so feel free to recommend any other observations I might have left out ***
I have no expectations at this point.
I am hoping we might find something useful which surpasses our current appreciation of what the ub820 HDR2020 and SDR2020 static ATM modes can achieve.
However, I have no expectation this proposed innovation will compete with the current state of the art DTM of MadVR or the Lumagen Radiance Pro.
Again, I hope this is a productive endeavor.
PS ... Coming up in Nov, I am looking forward to seeing the NX7 in action, as well as possibly making a DTM comparison if warranted. I hear it may be a 5/7/9 review courtesy of JVC.