Apple TV Dolby Vision Dark. Scene Color Mapping Errors - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 11-07-2019, 06:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Dolby Vision tone mapping or raised black display errors in Apple TV4K on my TCL 55R625 TV. It only happens in very dark scenes and only with Dolby Vision content from Apple TV over HDMI.
It doesnt matter which Dolby Vision preset is used but Ive tried all different settings and a factory reset.
Ive tried different Match Range combinations but no improvement.
I have tried 3 different certified Dolby Vision high speed cables for what thats worth... And different HDMI ports directly connected to the ATV (18 inch to 3 foot HDMI cable lengths).

Im out of troubleshooting ideas so I just wanted to see if anyone has had any success if they have encountered this issue.
The Roku internal Netflix app plays Dolby Vision correctly so I think its a DV Apple bitstream profile issue over HDMI not being translated correctly by some displays.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B1C4FCD2-8603-4649-B2D8-2472101F9472_1573134687134.jpeg
Views:	43
Size:	240.2 KB
ID:	2637600  

Comcast Motorla DCT3416
JVC RX-D702B AV Receiver
KEF Fivetwo Model 7 surround speakers

HDMI connections for video

Last edited by jefbak; 11-07-2019 at 06:51 AM. Reason: Format errors
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 12-01-2019, 04:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 3
I have the same issue and it's my onkyo, with os12 it was ok, with os 13 I had to make a profile for apple tv DV with +8 to the brithness.

if I plug the Apple tv to the tv, the black level is ok. They must have change something since it was working before and nothing has changed except os version

Envoyé de mon SM-G965W en utilisant Tapatalk
post #3 of 3 Old 12-03-2019, 01:47 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 413
It's been an ongoing issue with Apple TV and DV over HDMI. Even though it was supposed to have been fixed long ago, every so often you see more recent threads like this (https://www.reddit.com/r/OLED/commen..._dolby_vision/) pop up that show it can still be an issue. From what I gather it is actually a bug in the Apple TV hardware and the fix has to be applied somewhere else. It's possible an OS update could break the fix. It also depends on the content you are watching because the black level bug is only triggered by a certain range of values in the DV metadata.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply High Dynamic Range (HDR) & Wide Color Gamut (WCG)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page