50PUS7303 very bright HDR-grey blacks - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 11-09-2019, 05:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
50PUS7303 very bright HDR-grey blacks

I have the Philips 50PUS7303 set. Whilst the TV has good blacks in SDR, things get complicated in HDR mode. particularly in the native Netflix app of the set: When HDR mode is activated the whole screen is covered with something like a greyish/white fog, brightness is universally elevated and blacks turn to grey. In general contrast gets WORSE in HDR. I have a feeling that colors also get dull, but my main concern at this time is black levels. I've tried to fiddle with all (limited) settings of HDR mode, but nothing seems to fix that. Lowering brightness to 43-45(!) seems to mitigate the problem, but it's still there. I also lowered Backlight ("contrast" for this set), but it also does not completely fix the problem.

I've downloaded the Mehanik HDR10 test patterns in order to calibrate the set in HDR mode, but they don't seem to work for the particular set. Especially in black level calibration, whenever I try to change the brightness, it seems that the whole picture is universally changed, not step by step, and step 66 of the pattern is revealed at brightness 66-67(!), which is simply unwatchable. I can't explain it fully, but calibrating in SDR seems to change the display in "steps", whereas in HDR the whole picture is universally changed and cannot be calibrated.

The problem is not so evident in HDR movies through Plex, VLC etc., but it's definitely there in the native Netflix app. What puzzles me is the fact that it cannot be calibrated through the test patterns (played through VLC, Plex, native app of the set, MXplayer).

Every similar thread I came upon had to do with HDMI black levels etc., which is not the case here, since I only use the native Netflix app of the set. (On a side note, this set is the first I own with no settings for HDMI black levels, high-low etc).
Any thoughts? Could it be the Netflix app or am I missing something?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 11-09-2019, 06:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 118 Post(s)
Quoted: 5468 Post(s)
Liked: 3571
It could be the native app. Try hooking up a "device" and use its netflix app.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #3 of 3 Old 11-09-2019, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
It could be the native app. Try hooking up a "device" and use its netflix app.

Unfortunately I don't own any Android box, Xbox etc. Must be the set. I downloaded an episode of the show I tested with the Netflix app ("Now they see us") and played it back from a smb share with Plex, VLC, MXPlayer and the native video app of the TV with almost identical results.
HDR mode in this set somehow elevates the brightness of the whole display and makes blacks seem greyish. Perhaps it's the way Netflix encodes its HDR but at this point I'm out of options with the settings regarding HDR in this set, I've tried almost everything. I mean, in order to calibrate brightness according to the test patterns, I have to set it at 62(?!), which of course is not right and is unwatchable.

Last edited by tryfos79; 11-09-2019 at 03:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply High Dynamic Range (HDR) & Wide Color Gamut (WCG)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page