PC HDR Gaming Settings : RGB 8-Bit or 4:2:2 10 Bit - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 11-17-2019, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
PC HDR Gaming Settings : RGB 8-Bit or 4:2:2 10 Bit

I’ve recently purchased a PQX 75 and am connecting it to my PC, used primarily for gaming. Am struggling to find the right settings and see a lot of conflicting advice out there - mostly targeted towards console - so thought I’d ask the pros

My question is really - on the PC itself, what are the optimal settings to be used with this TV,

Options:
  • RGB, 8-Bit - Full
  • RGB, 8-Bit - Limited
  • YCbCr4:2:2, 10 Bit - Limited
  • YCbCr4:2:2, 12 Bit - Limited

On the TV itself - should it still be set to ‘Computer’ mode if the primary objective is gaming? Or would Calibrated be the better option? In general i’m finding things quite dark and sometimes washed out in HDR.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-24-2019, 11:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 30
It's because of the HDMI connection reduced bandwidth. Those TV's have HDMI 2.0...

You didn't say what video card you have. Passive "converters" from DP to HDMI make things worse. Also, some video cards, with HDMI 1.4, don't support all the combinations.
My PQ65X is for now connected to my Media Center PC that has a GT730 video card. Well, it doesn't cut it anymore, since it is rated only HDMI 1.4. I'll switch to a Quadro P620 soon, I am waiting for my active miniDP-HDMI adapter to arrive (rated 4K 60Hz).

My PC monitor (AOC U2879VF) is connected with a DP 1.2 cable to the GTX1080 and I have available 4K RGB 10 Bit Full.

Last edited by SoNic67; 11-24-2019 at 11:39 AM.
post #3 of 4 Old 12-01-2019, 01:22 PM

Liked: 3
personnaly I use ycc 12 bit and the same profile as I use my hdr movies and it look awesome! (2080 super on a vizio pq65), except in game mode

Envoyé de mon SM-G965W en utilisant Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 12-03-2019, 03:28 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoNic67 View Post
My PQ65X is for now connected to my Media Center PC that has a GT730 video card. Well, it doesn't cut it anymore, since it is rated only HDMI 1.4. I'll switch to a Quadro P620 soon, I am waiting for my active miniDP-HDMI adapter to arrive (rated 4K 60Hz).
The P620 was a fiasco. The adapters are not always whey they say there are, some not supporting full bandwidth/compliance with HDMI 2.0. And when I finally got a compliant active converter and everything was looking hunky-dory... I found out that I can't play "protected content" recordings on my HTPC with Windows Media Center, even if HDCP lock between TV and video card was shown in the drivers. Why? Because Microsoft and Cable Labs are evil:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...n-windows-medi
Quote:
In order for some forms of protected content to play back in Media Center, there must be HDCP compliance across the video card, the connection type, and the external display. Although DisplayPort is HDCP compliant, Windows Media Center does not recognize a DisplayPort as being HDCP compliant. Windows Media Center only recognizes DVI and HDMI as HDCP compliant. Some protected content scenarios may work with DisplayPort with Media Center, but these are not officially validated.
So I had to buy a GT1030 (low profile) card, that has a native HDMI 2.0a output, and only then I could use my 4K HDR TV in all the glory with my HTPC setup.

But that HDMI connection it's still not matching what a DP 1.4 connection can do (RGB 4K and 10 bit HDR).

Last edited by SoNic67; 12-03-2019 at 03:33 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply High Dynamic Range (HDR) & Wide Color Gamut (WCG)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page