Should I be seeing such a huge difference between Dolby Vision and HDR10? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 11-17-2019, 10:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Question Should I be seeing such a huge difference between Dolby Vision and HDR10?

I purchased the movie Christine (4K) from Movies Anywhere. It propagated to Prime Video (standard UHD), VUDU (Dolby Vision), and directly in the Movies Anywhere App (HDR10). I am seeing HUGE differences between the formats. In the Movies Anywhere app on HDR10, the detail is acceptable, but there is a ton of noise. I'm assuming it's film grain, but it's very noticeable, and sometimes distracts from the scene, with noticeable patches, or splotches of higher noise. On VUDU, the format is Dolby Vision. This version looks Amazing, with great shadows, highlights, and very little or no noise/grain. The Prime Video version looks washed out and hazy, but I would expect this, not being in an HDR format.

Anyway, My question is, should there be such a noticeable difference between Dolby Vision, and HDR10? I will have to watch the movie entirely on both, and get an overall opinion of which I prefer more. At the moment, I 'm leaning toward Dolby Vision.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-17-2019, 10:12 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I have Samsung so they only proved HDR and no Dolby Vision.

The guy at Best Buy tried to convince me Dolby Vision is “better”

I looked at a picture side by side and it looked exactly the same.

Some people are really technical about that stuff, but I don’t care for 2% more color and contrast

I saw enjoy what you like, don’t worry about what others think is best. If it works for you great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
post #3 of 8 Old 11-18-2019, 03:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked: 591
Best way to compare is on a physical disc. Not the streaming services!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 11-18-2019, 07:24 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Quoted: 12809 Post(s)
Liked: 12152
Quote:
Originally Posted by cam94zee View Post
I purchased the movie Christine (4K) from Movies Anywhere. It propagated to Prime Video (standard UHD), VUDU (Dolby Vision), and directly in the Movies Anywhere App (HDR10). I am seeing HUGE differences between the formats. In the Movies Anywhere app on HDR10, the detail is acceptable, but there is a ton of noise. I'm assuming it's film grain, but it's very noticeable, and sometimes distracts from the scene, with noticeable patches, or splotches of higher noise. On VUDU, the format is Dolby Vision. This version looks Amazing, with great shadows, highlights, and very little or no noise/grain. The Prime Video version looks washed out and hazy, but I would expect this, not being in an HDR format.

Anyway, My question is, should there be such a noticeable difference between Dolby Vision, and HDR10? I will have to watch the movie entirely on both, and get an overall opinion of which I prefer more. At the moment, I 'm leaning toward Dolby Vision.
On a lower end tv, Dolby Vision will definitely look better. the higher up you go, the less differences there are.

82Q90R*75Q9FN(RIP)*55C8OLED*Galaxy Note10+*Ub820 fed into Oppo 203*XB1X*4k DenonX4200

MASTER LIST OF HDR CONTENT THREAD HERE, UPDATED OFTEN
post #5 of 8 Old 11-19-2019, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elisha View Post
Best way to compare is on a physical disc. Not the streaming services!

I haven't been able to find a way to switch between HDR formats. Basically if Dolby Vision is available my TV selects it. Otherwise it uses HDR10. Then again, I am watching my physical discs on an Xbox One S, which has very few video options.
post #6 of 8 Old 11-19-2019, 04:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked: 591
Quote:
I haven't been able to find a way to switch between HDR formats. Basically if Dolby Vision is available my TV selects it. Otherwise it uses HDR10. Then again, I am watching my physical discs on an Xbox One S, which has very few video options.

Like Ray said, on low end TVs and low Nit TVs, DV will look better. But if your TV can do more than 1,000 Nits, you won't be able to tell much difference.
On my KS8000, good HDR content is so brilliant and highlights are blinding!

post #7 of 8 Old 11-19-2019, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elisha View Post
Like Ray said, on low end TVs and low Nit TVs, DV will look better. But if your TV can do more than 1,000 Nits, you won't be able to tell much difference.
On my KS8000, good HDR content is so brilliant and highlights are blinding!

My TV would definitely fall into the "below 1,000 Nits" category. The only review I found of my actual model (PCMag) gave it a mediocre contrast ratio. The Rtings rating for my model (Vizio M507) is actually for the next series higher (M508), and it only gets a "decent" HDR Peak Brightness. It is rated 200 nits higher than the M507. So, You are probably correct. I will likely be returning this model during the Costco return period. There really don't seem to be many affordable options out there in the 50" size with decent brightness and features. Unfortunately I am limited to this size.
post #8 of 8 Old 11-27-2019, 07:50 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:

What you're describing has everything to do with the fact that each streaming service often has their own different encode of the movie.

The grain, detail, and noise you're describing has little/nothing to do with the HDR format.

With that said, there can be a significant difference between DV & HDR10 and the easiest way to observe this is to playback a DV video on a player that allows you to toggle off the DV metadata and watch with just HDR10... Oppo players let you do this.

DV should have more natural brightness/contrast/gamma since the metadata allows the image to be optimally tone-mapped to your display as the mastering engineer intended.

--
Spoiler!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply High Dynamic Range (HDR) & Wide Color Gamut (WCG)

Tags
christine , dolby vision , hdr10 , noise

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page