Setup/Wiring Question re: Apple TV 4K and Dolby Vision HDR - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 12-02-2019, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Setup/Wiring Question re: Apple TV 4K and Dolby Vision HDR

I'm new to 4K, so forgive me if this is a bit of a noob thing. I've searched and searched and can't seem to find anything on my specific use case/setup.

My situation is that I'm getting a new 4K TV (Sony XBR65X850G) at the end of the week. Woo! The TV supports Dolby Vision. I have an Apple TV 4K and made sure to get 18Gbps cables that allege they can carry Dolby Vision signal.

The wrinkle is that I have a soundbar (a Sony HT-CT790) that supports HDR but not Dolby Vision. Replacing it is not an option at the moment.

In order to benefit from the Dolby Vision picture (any really high-end sound stuff is not a priority, hence the soundbar) I was thinking of connecting the Apple TV directly to the television, and output sound to the soundbar using ARC. I would like to do this to take advantage of HDMI-CEC. I have some questions:

Will this allow Dolby Vision to work, or, does any non-DV device anywhere in the setup prevent it?

Searching suggests that this set up (ATV right into the TV, not into the soundbar), if it will even work with DV, may cause some audio sync issues. Is that something I might encounter?

I thank you in advance for any help. I am trying to figure all of this out!

Last edited by El Maestro; 12-02-2019 at 09:33 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply High Dynamic Range (HDR) & Wide Color Gamut (WCG)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page