LLDV vs Dolby Vision - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 02-22-2020, 08:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 1
LLDV vs Dolby Vision

I'm struggling to find what devices support LLDV, or how it's different that regular Dolby Vision. Is there a list somewhere? I'm hoping Chromecast would, but I can't seem to confirm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-22-2020, 09:00 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Apple TV 4K and Shield 2019 both do LLDV, also Sony 4k disc players. Main difference between full DV and LLDV is the source player will apply the tone mapping for LLDV, where full DV will happen on the actual TV if supported. Sony and some LG TVs use LLDV, so the source player applies the tone mapping and sends the signal wrapped in a HDR RGB container. A couple Hdfury devices will let you fake your edid to get a DV stream to a non-DV display, like a projector. I use a Vertex2 with ATV4K and Shield to get the LLDV stream sent to my Projector. Works great!

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
post #3 of 4 Old 02-22-2020, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMoser View Post
Apple TV 4K and Shield 2019 both do LLDV, also Sony 4k disc players. Main difference between full DV and LLDV is the source player will apply the tone mapping for LLDV, where full DV will happen on the actual TV if supported. Sony and some LG TVs use LLDV, so the source player applies the tone mapping and sends the signal wrapped in a HDR RGB container. A couple Hdfury devices will let you fake your edid to get a DV stream to a non-DV display, like a projector. I use a Vertex2 with ATV4K and Shield to get the LLDV stream sent to my Projector. Works great!

Did you ever test a Chromecast by chance? If that doesn't support LLDV I may buy a Shield to watch DV netflix shows.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 02-22-2020, 09:13 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I don't have a CC Ultra to test with as I use the Shield19 to cast, but it looks like the product page only lists DV for the Ultra. Being that there is some video processing happening to do LLDV I'd be surprised if the the CCU can do anything other than pass through.

https://blog.google/products/chromec...d-hdr-support/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply High Dynamic Range (HDR) & Wide Color Gamut (WCG)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page