1Likes
  • 1 Post By m0j0

post #1 of 3 Old 03-27-2020, 06:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
4K blu ray HDR On vs Off

I, like some amount of others it seems, am not especially fond of HDR. It usually looks too dark for me. Maybe its my room, maybe it's my eyes or what I'm used to, who knows. While suggestions for how to improve HDR would not be unwelcomed, I'm mostly curious about something else I've noticed.

several things i have read about not liking HDR says "well just turn it off" which makes sense. I've tried this and the picture is still the same more or less with HDR on or off- ie too dark for my liking.

Now, most of my UHDs (the main media i am using that is HDR) came with blu rays. the blu rays look great. the 4K discs with HDR turned off look completely different.

Same TV, same player, same settings on everything (including the player upconverting the 1080P to 4K).

it really seems like, oddly enough, the two transfers themselves are totally different for some reason? Ths is not just on one disc either, its generally universally true.

anyone have any insight? Am I missing something? Should a 4K disc with HDR turned off look (in terms of color and brightness) the same as the 1080P version, or not?

To be specific this is just regular HDR. I love dolby vision and none of this applies. which is it's own curiosity which may or may not be related.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 04-02-2020, 03:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I turn it off. Personally, 4k and HDR and a total waste of a new format. This will be the nail in the coffin for physical media.
post #3 of 3 Old 04-02-2020, 06:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 1311 Post(s)
Liked: 1954
If you have a 4K blu ray Player like a Panasonic 820, you can do tone mapping. It’s basically bt 2020 color space in SDR mode and it calculates nits from meta data of the disc and gives you a dynamic slider to adjust brightness.
Archibald1 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply High Dynamic Range (HDR) & Wide Color Gamut (WCG)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page