• 1 Post By Ken Masters
  • 1 Post By Ken Masters

post #1 of 12 Old 04-14-2020, 01:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 28
HDR on/off for 1080 Bluray?

Just got my first 65inch TV with full HDR...Samsung Q70R. Has a 55inch Samsung but it didn't have full HDR...just a little of it. You could still see a difference but it was subtle and you almost had to look for the change but it was there. Anyway...I had the option of turning HDR on or off and with 1080 Blurays I just left the HDR on since the difference was so subtle. My question now is with full HDR do you turn it off for 1080 Bluray? This goes across the board with all TV brands...Samsung, Sony, Vizio, etc. I'm not looking for fake HDR or upscaling to mimic HDR and just want to know if I should turn it off for 1080 Bluray and turn it on for 4K? I've read different things about this which is why I'm asking. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 04-14-2020, 03:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1929 Post(s)
Liked: 1232
With some really high quality 1080p Blu Ray movies I have turned on not HDR 10 but HLG and it actually looks really good.
post #3 of 12 Old 04-14-2020, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetfieldjames View Post
With some really high quality 1080p Blu Ray movies I have turned on not HDR 10 but HLG and it actually looks really good.

I was just trying to get an idea of how people do it. Doesn't look like anyone's interested or this is an old question that's worn out but thanks for your input Hetfieldjames.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 04-14-2020, 12:18 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked: 299
1080p Blu-rays don't have HDR, so I'd leave it off. And is it your Blu-ray player that allows to enable your TV's HDR for all Blu-rays?
post #5 of 12 Old 04-14-2020, 11:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spewdom View Post
1080p Blu-rays don't have HDR, so I'd leave it off. And is it your Blu-ray player that allows to enable your TV's HDR for all Blu-rays?
It's in the TV. I've heard some people leave it on for everything. There's a setting for HDMI UHD Color and you click the HDMI number that the 4K Blu ray player is connected to. If it's not turned on you won't get any HDR. I had it on...accidently when I played the Star Wars 1080 Blu ray and you could see that it was on so I turned it off and the HDR went away...yes I know it wasn't real HDR because it wasn't filmed that way but in the end the TV controls it. I think it was like Samsung's HDR Plus...which they don't use anymore...where it throws up what Samsung thinks HDR would look like for standard Blu ray...something along those lines.

I was a little concerned about the future of HDR10 and Dolby Vision bumping heads...having one or the other thus making a lot of todays equipment obsolete but I'm hoping 1080 Blu ray would still be around if it comes to that...it would be the saving grace. I hope HRD10 and DV can work together and not destroy the industry. If it came to that I would never buy into and support a business that made my equipment obsolete...end the end who ever wins would end up a loser...would be the end of Blu ray and physical media....just don't think many people would go through that sort of thing again...HD DVD vs Blu ray war.

Last edited by william273; 04-15-2020 at 12:02 AM.
post #6 of 12 Old 04-15-2020, 12:15 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by william273 View Post
It's in the TV. I've heard some people leave it on for everything. There's a setting for HDMI UHD Color and you click the HDMI number that the 4K Blu ray player is connected to. If it's not turned on you won't get any HDR. I had it on...accidently when I played the Star Wars 1080 Blu ray and you could see that it was on so I turned it off and the HDR went away...yes I know it wasn't real HDR because it wasn't filmed that way but in the end the TV controls it. I think it was like Samsung's HDR Plus...which they don't use anymore...where it throws up what Samsung thinks HDR would look like for standard Blu ray...something along those lines.
The toggle for UHD Color is just to ensure compatibility with older equipment. If your BD player works just fine with it on, leave it on. It doesn't do any HDR conversion, if you're seeing a difference it's due to some other setting.

Quote:
I was a little concerned about the future of HDR10 and Dolby Vision bumping heads...having one or the other thus making a lot of todays equipment obsolete but I'm hoping 1080 Blu ray would still be around if it comes to that...it would be the saving grace. I hope HRD10 and DV can work together and not destroy the industry. If it came to that I would never buy into and support a business that made my equipment obsolete...end the end who ever wins would end up a loser...would be the end of Blu ray and physical media....just don't think many people would go through that sort of thing again...HD DVD vs Blu ray war.
HDR 10 and DV don't bump heads, both use the same base standard - HDR 10 is the simpler, ubiquitous implementation. Dolby Vision offers a higher level of sophistication in the way it formats the base HDR image for your display - it doesn't compete with HDR 10 so much as it is an enhancement of the image HDR 10 already provides, it's a nice additional feature to have.
Transistorious likes this.
post #7 of 12 Old 04-15-2020, 04:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Masters View Post
The toggle for UHD Color is just to ensure compatibility with older equipment. If your BD player works just fine with it on, leave it on. It doesn't do any HDR conversion, if you're seeing a difference it's due to some other setting.

HDR 10 and DV don't bump heads, both use the same base standard - HDR 10 is the simpler, ubiquitous implementation. Dolby Vision offers a higher level of sophistication in the way it formats the base HDR image for your display - it doesn't compete with HDR 10 so much as it is an enhancement of the image HDR 10 already provides, it's a nice additional feature to have.

I sure hope they don't bump heads and thanks for mentioning that. The HDMI UHD Color is called Input Signal Plus on the Q70R and needs to be activated in order for HDR to work...otherwise you just get 4K Blu ray without HDR...from what I understand and have read but I'm all ears though...I could very well be missing something. The HDR Plus on my older Samsung was for people that didn't have 4K but could simulate it with HDR Plus. They don't make it anymore I don't think but this model "seems" to be adding some HDR effect to 1080 and I know it's not my 4K Bluray player...it's a basic LG 4K player with basic settings which aren't many at all...another thing I like. I'll have another look though and thanks Ken. Please correct me if I'm misunderstanding something.
post #8 of 12 Old 04-16-2020, 01:01 AM - Thread Starter

I'm wondering now if say my TV is a Samsung with HDR10...if I put in a 4K blu ray with Dolby Vision...would it still play just without HDR? Just hoping it wouldn't be a total loss. Also do TVs give you the option of using HDR or not? If I remember correctly from some reviews I watched it looked like in the settings menu you had a setting to enable or disable HDR...is that correct or am I mistaken?

Last edited by william273; 04-16-2020 at 01:31 AM.
post #9 of 12 Old 04-16-2020, 03:17 AM

Quote:
I'm wondering now if say my TV is a Samsung with HDR10...if I put in a 4K blu ray with Dolby Vision...would it still play just without HDR?
You'll still get HDR, it'll just play back in vanilla HDR 10.

Quote:
Also do TVs give you the option of using HDR or not? If I remember correctly from some reviews I watched it looked like in the settings menu you had a setting to enable or disable HDR...is that correct or am I mistaken?
With the TV properly set up, it will display the source as the source was encoded - automatically swapping between SDR and HDR.
Transistorious likes this.
post #10 of 12 Old 04-16-2020, 05:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
You'll still get HDR, it'll just play back in vanilla HDR 10.

With the TV properly set up, it will display the source as the source was encoded - automatically swapping between SDR and HDR.
I was thinking it might not play at all. I'd be happy if it still played... even without HDR. If I got any HDR that would be the icing on the cake but as long as it would play even without HDR I'd be happy. Thanks Ken...I feel a little better now.
post #11 of 12 Old 04-16-2020, 05:23 AM

Quote:
I was thinking it might not play at all. I'd be happy if it still played... even without HDR. If I got any HDR that would be the icing on the cake but as long as it would play even without HDR I'd be happy. Thanks Ken...I feel a little better now.
No worries, it will play, and in HDR.
post #12 of 12 Old 04-16-2020, 05:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
No worries, it will play, and in HDR.
THANK YOU KEN!!! Now I feel ALOT better!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply High Dynamic Range (HDR) & Wide Color Gamut (WCG)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page