Confused HDR Newbie Looking for Clarifications.... - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 05-21-2020, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Confused HDR Newbie Looking for Clarifications....

Hey, everyone:

I searched high and low for a good sub-forum to post this but none seemed to be an exact fit, so if this is off-topic or covered a million times (I did search for similar posts, but didn't find much) I sincerely apologize and mods, feel free to delete post and ban me for life. :-)

In any event, new-ish owner of LG C9, so can watch movies w/Dolby Vision, which is awesome. So here's my confusion:

1. Apple rents/sells movies labeled as "4K" and with HDR. But if you look at the details, many (older) titles are in 1080p. Obviously, much depends on the source material but....is 1080p with HDR truly 4K? Or merely HD with HDR, and Apple is lying about 4K?

2. I bought the Blu-Ray/UHD Top Gun DVD, and I can play it on my XBox One X in 4K/2160p, but without HDR (bc XBox doesn't support HDR). Or, I can play a downloaded copy of the movie (DVD came with redemption code) via AppleTV+ app on LG, with HDR, but only in 1080p. So all things being equal, is 1080p with HDR "better" than 4K rez without HDR? To me, the AppleTV+/1080p/HDR version of Top Gun looked as good as, if not better than, the 4K DVD on the XBox. So maybe I wasted my money on the Blu Ray disk and should have just purchased the movie from Apple?

4. Or, to get the full, best experience should I get a dedicated Blu Ray/UHD/4K player that has HDR support? Especially to view older movie titles that have been converted to 4K and/or HDR and are on Blu-Ray (ie, that Apple doesn't offer in 4K resolution). With streaming becoming the standard delivery method these days, though, spending several hundred dollars on a Blu Ray player seems like buying a VHS deck......

In any event, I am clueless about this topic so hope at least some of my questions make sense and a kind and patient soul here can help.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-26-2020, 07:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 39
HDR is independent of the resolution. You can have 1080p video with HDR/Dolby Vision.

Most of recent Apple content is 4K Dolby Vision in my experience. If your display does not support Dolby Vision, it will convert to standard HDR10.

You have a good TV so I would definitely recommend investing in a decent UHD blu-ray player. I'm a new C9 owner and just upgraded to a Panasonic UB820 and love it!

The UB420 is also a good option at a lower price point.

Also be sure to download the Dolby Access app from the LG store to see some excellent DV demos

AV equipment: LG 77C9, Sony 65X930E, Denon X4400H, Panasonic UB820, ATV 4K, PS4 Pro
5.1.4 Atmos setup: Klipsch RP-250C | RP-250F | RP-150M surrounds |SVS Prime Elevations (x4)
Subwoofers: SVS PB12-NSD |Outlaw LFM1-Plus

Gaming PC: Ryzen 7 3700X, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB NVMe SSD, ROG Strix RTX 2080 Super
post #3 of 7 Old 05-26-2020, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpn75 View Post
HDR is independent of the resolution. You can have 1080p video with HDR/Dolby Vision.

Most of recent Apple content is 4K Dolby Vision in my experience. If your display does not support Dolby Vision, it will convert to standard HDR10.

You have a good TV so I would definitely recommend investing in a decent UHD blu-ray player. I'm a new C9 owner and just upgraded to a Panasonic UB820 and love it!

The UB420 is also a good option at a lower price point.

Also be sure to download the Dolby Access app from the LG store to see some excellent DV demos
Thanks for info! Appreciate it. I'm guessing the 820 costs twice as much as the 420 because of Dolby Vision licensing fees. Ouch. I'll definitely consider purchasing a dedicated player, although the prices are steep for tech that in the PC world (ie, DVD drive), is basically obsolete. You you can probably buy a dozen PC DVD drives for a dollar these days lol. But I fully understand that A/V hardware is not PC hardware (even if the guts are the same).

That said, can someone point me to a good explanation of why, say, buying the Panasonic standalone player is a $400 improvement over using the XBox One X? I'm sure a million goobers like me have asked this question, so just want to save everyone the electrons. :-) Thanks so much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 05-26-2020, 10:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticusf View Post
Thanks for info! Appreciate it. I'm guessing the 820 costs twice as much as the 420 because of Dolby Vision licensing fees. Ouch. I'll definitely consider purchasing a dedicated player, although the prices are steep for tech that in the PC world (ie, DVD drive), is basically obsolete. You you can probably buy a dozen PC DVD drives for a dollar these days lol. But I fully understand that A/V hardware is not PC hardware (even if the guts are the same).

That said, can someone point me to a good explanation of why, say, buying the Panasonic standalone player is a $400 improvement over using the XBox One X? I'm sure a million goobers like me have asked this question, so just want to save everyone the electrons. :-) Thanks so much.
The advantage of the Panasonic blu-ray players is their HDR optimizer feature that provides superior dynamic tone mapping especially for TVs with lower peak brightness such as OLED.

Since you have a C9 OLED, I would recommend a player that supports Dolby Vision as it will give you the best PQ. I'm not sure if the XB1X supports Dolby Vision but a dedicated UHD blu-ray player will give you a better picture.

I think the UB420 would be a good option even without Dolby Vision support too and might be more in your price-range. I believe LGUBK90 player supports Dolby Vision and is also another decent option.

AV equipment: LG 77C9, Sony 65X930E, Denon X4400H, Panasonic UB820, ATV 4K, PS4 Pro
5.1.4 Atmos setup: Klipsch RP-250C | RP-250F | RP-150M surrounds |SVS Prime Elevations (x4)
Subwoofers: SVS PB12-NSD |Outlaw LFM1-Plus

Gaming PC: Ryzen 7 3700X, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB NVMe SSD, ROG Strix RTX 2080 Super
post #5 of 7 Old 05-26-2020, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpn75 View Post
The advantage of the Panasonic blu-ray players is their HDR optimizer feature that provides superior dynamic tone mapping especially for TVs with lower peak brightness such as OLED.

Since you have a C9 OLED, I would recommend a player that supports Dolby Vision as it will give you the best PQ. I'm not sure if the XB1X supports Dolby Vision but a dedicated UHD blu-ray player will give you a better picture.

I think the UB420 would be a good option even without Dolby Vision support too and might be more in your price-range. I believe LGUBK90 player supports Dolby Vision and is also another decent option.
Thanks for recommendations. As far as I know, the XBone supports only HDR, not Dolby Vision specifically (I get the HDR pop-up, but not one for Dolby Vision, when I use the XBox to play discs). I'm guessing that adding Dolby Vision licensing would've increased the costs of the XBox beyond what MS was comfortable with.

Regardless, I'll check out the Panny and LG players (just don't tell my wife).

The Bladerunner UHD/Blu-Ray disc already looks pretty good on the XBox, so if a dedicated player can beat it, that's a plus.
post #6 of 7 Old 05-27-2020, 04:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1930 Post(s)
Liked: 1159
Quote:
Thanks for recommendations. As far as I know, the XBone supports only HDR, not Dolby Vision specifically (I get the HDR pop-up, but not one for Dolby Vision, when I use the XBox to play discs). I'm guessing that adding Dolby Vision licensing would've increased the costs of the XBox beyond what MS was comfortable with.

The Bladerunner UHD/Blu-Ray disc already looks pretty good on the XBox, so if a dedicated player can beat it, that's a plus.
Thats a forum myth about DV, the lack of PS4 and Xbox support has more to do with hardware than a few dollars for licensing.

Neither console had enough compute power to spare.

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk
post #7 of 7 Old 05-28-2020, 02:48 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisplayCalNoob View Post
Quote:

Thats a forum myth about DV, the lack of PS4 and Xbox support has more to do with hardware than a few dollars for licensing.

Neither console had enough compute power to spare.

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk
Xbox One X supports Dolby Vision. Don't know where this misinformation is coming from. "Not enough compute power." Yeah, ok.

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2018/08/...system-update/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	xboxdolbyvision-1_1590702363084.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	18.2 KB
ID:	2733774  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply High Dynamic Range (HDR) & Wide Color Gamut (WCG)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page