AVS Forum banner

Why does Amazon HDR look poor on LG TV??

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  davexnet 
#1 · (Edited)
I found some HDR10+ demo footage online, it's YouTube re-encoded upload shot on an S10.

I played the 1080p stream on my LG uj6500 and it looked phenomenal, beautiful colors,
balanced contrast, good dark and bright levels.

I know it's a low end TV, no local dimming, but it has active HDR and High color gamut -
and given a good source, I've been surprised by the picture quality.

On the other hand, Amazon Prime's HDR presentation of their popular shows, Carnival Row being
one of the poorest, looks bland and washed out, with bright highlights but dark level shadows that
are in the mid - dark grey range.

Whether it's a tone mapping issue in the LG TV Prime app, or whether there is something
off in the streams themselves, I'd really like to understand and perhaps hope that it
can be resolved by an app update

Appreciate any info

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
Tone mapping where? In the LG Prime App? In the TV?

Also in what context is this tone mapping relevant when the TV and stream are both HDR.?
Is it the TV modifying the picture due to it's limited capabilities?

Playing HDR10/HDR10+ files from the YouTube app, or downloaded to the PC
and played on the TV via DLNA look fantastic. It looks slightly brighter and having deeper
black at the same time. I don't get it.

I've seen quite a few posts where the people say the HDR picture is too dark,
there's some good background here
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-o...ne-mapping-versus-accurate-eotf-tracking.html
But this is not the problem I'm having - my picture is washed out, the so-called black level
is a murky medium grey

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.