post #1 of 4 Old 06-27-2020, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
BT2020 on Rec709 display

Hello from across the pond in the UK!
I’m looking for some advice please.

I have hundreds of movies stored in a MKV format on a Synology NAS drive, many of which are ripped from Ultra HD Blurays preserved with wide colour gamut BT2020 and HDR.
I play back the files via KODI on my Nvidia Shield 2019 which is connected to my Marantz 7011.
The Marantz then hooks up to a HD Fury Vertex which feeds the HDMI to my LG B8 OLED (signal is passed through) and my HD750 JVC projector (signal is auto downscaled).

My issue is that the UHD MKVs look completely washed out on the PJ as it is playing them back at REC 709.
I’m wondering how best to address this issue short of buying a replacement PJ. I will in time replace the PJ with something like the Epson 9400, but I can’t justify several thousand pounds outlay for a couple of years yet.

Are there any settings I can utilise in the HD Fury Vertex for example? I don’t mind spending a few hundred pounds on alternative equipment to see me through.
Any suggestions?

Marantz SR7011 + NAD S250, M&K S-125's (LCR), M&K CS-29's (Surr), 4 x M&K SW-85's (Atmos), 2 x KK DXD-808 (Subs)
JVC DLA-HD750, 106" Optoma motorised screen, LG OLED65B8
Virgin V6, Samsung UBD-K8500, Nvidia Shield TV, PS4, Nintendo Switch, Synology DS218j NAS, Harmony Elite
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-07-2020, 04:09 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Mmm, I would go to something like the JVC x500 thread and ask them how they sent BT2020 and HDR to their projector using the HD Fury. Because I'm pretty sure they managed somehow. The same might work for the JVC HD750 or a variation of.
post #3 of 4 Old 07-07-2020, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollon1980 View Post
Mmm, I would go to something like the JVC x500 thread and ask them how they sent BT2020 and HDR to their projector using the HD Fury. Because I'm pretty sure they managed somehow. The same might work for the JVC HD750 or a variation of.
After fur5her investigation, I’ve purchased an HD Fury X4 as that along with the Diva are the only 2 products HD Fury offer that can convert HDR to SDR. I already have the HD Fury Vertex, so I added the X4.
The Vertex converts 4K content to 1080p, then the X4 converts HDR.
I had a chance to play with it for the first time today.
There are 6 ‘tone mapping profiles’ which you scroll through by pressing the top buttons.
I’ve attached an image of 2 of them.
The washed out image is position 1 with no conversion and the other is position 3 which seems to offer the best image.
I did contact HD Fury and asked for the specs of each of the 6 profiles, but they advised that there are no specs and that I should simply pick the one I like best. Not ideal as I’d prefer to know which is the most accurate for my set up.
I’m not sure how well the images showcase the actual content, but the X4 certainly improves the colours and makes the UHD rips I have watchable now on the PJ.
What do you guys think.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E90D4B46-7877-485F-84BF-6FAD2D05ED14.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	2754290   Click image for larger version

Name:	C4BF9679-1176-4D8F-A22D-A5DDBD9EE1F8.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	2754292  

Marantz SR7011 + NAD S250, M&K S-125's (LCR), M&K CS-29's (Surr), 4 x M&K SW-85's (Atmos), 2 x KK DXD-808 (Subs)
JVC DLA-HD750, 106" Optoma motorised screen, LG OLED65B8
Virgin V6, Samsung UBD-K8500, Nvidia Shield TV, PS4, Nintendo Switch, Synology DS218j NAS, Harmony Elite
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 07-07-2020, 01:41 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew8240 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollon1980 View Post
After fur5her investigation, I’️ve purchased an HD Fury X4 as that along with the Diva are the only 2 products HD Fury offer that can convert HDR to SDR. I already have the HD Fury Vertex, so I added the X4.
The Vertex converts 4K content to 1080p, then the X4 converts HDR.
I had a chance to play with it for the first time today.
There are 6 ‘tone mapping profiles’️ which you scroll through by pressing the top buttons.
I’️ve attached an image of 2 of them.
The washed out image is position 1 with no conversion and the other is position 3 which seems to offer the best image.
I did contact HD Fury and asked for the specs of each of the 6 profiles, but they advised that there are no specs and that I should simply pick the one I like best. Not ideal as I’️d prefer to know which is the most accurate for my set up.
I’️m not sure how well the images showcase the actual content, but the X4 certainly improves the colours and makes the UHD rips I have watchable now on the PJ.
What do you guys think.
Honestly... unless your HD750 has been gamma calibrated even for SDR, It won’t be super accurate as the 750 gamma drifts especially in its early life due to panel ageing.

I wouldn’t worry about it. Use the setting that looks best. If you want accurate, get your 750 calibrated for SDR so the SDR gamma they are mapping to is accurate!
🙂

But there’s no such thing as an “accurate” conversion from HDR to SDR as its more an art than science at this stage with some algorithms being better than others.
stevew8240 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply High Dynamic Range (HDR) & Wide Color Gamut (WCG)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page