PS VR is a little more than a month away... who's buying one ? - Page 41 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 636Likes

post #1201 of 1207 Old 03-28-2019, 07:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 367
From a few weeks ago: the latest update to Borderlands 2 VR includes support for the AIM Controller.

Quote:
AIM CONTROLLER SUPPORT ( Community Suggestion) – BL2VR is now compatible with the Aim Controller!
  • Within the Options Menu, options for swapping sticks, buttons, or both are available. We added this to help people who are left-handed or if you want to switch around the layout of your Aim Controller.
  • Also, the option to make movement relative to the Gun or to the Head is available for the Aim Controller. If your movement is Gun relative, pushing forward on the control stick will move you based on where the gun is pointing. If your movement is Head relative, pushing forward on the control stick will move you based on where you’re looking.
IMPROVED SCOPE ( Community Suggestion) – Performance on the scope has been improved and it is now a much larger window.

CROSSHAIRS TOGGLE ( Community Suggestion) – A new option is available in the Options menu that allows you to turn off the crosshairs.

SCOPE TOGGLE ( Community Suggestion) – A new option is available in the Options menu that allows you to turn off the scope window. You can have all the benefits of scoping without having a giant window in your face.
https://forums.gearboxsoftware.com/t...-today/1969801
TonyDP likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1202 of 1207 Old 04-06-2019, 12:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
To tell the truth, guys, I consider VR not only as a kind of entertainment. It has much more to offer. I mean guys like https://servreality.com/virtual-reality-apps-vr/ know their bussiness and suggest a complex enterprise of VR production from plans and strategies to making original models and to solution advancement in medicine, traveling, financing, advertising and so on. And I hope they'll keep developing in VR gaming too)
post #1203 of 1207 Old 04-06-2019, 01:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I agree that VR has potential way beyond games, but it's much harder to reach a mass audience without the games. Gaming is a way to get millions of people to buy the hardware; that install base will make it easier for businesses to market their applications.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1204 of 1207 Old 04-10-2019, 10:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

From Eric Chahi, creator of From Dust and Another World:

post #1205 of 1207 Old 05-04-2019, 07:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedSeattle View Post
Here's a gameplay video of The Persistence:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziyHdY6NJSQ

UploadVR gave it 8 out of 10:

https://uploadvr.com/the-persistence-review/

On the Playstation Blogcast, one of the hosts says it scratches his itch for Bioshock/System Shock-style games.
I finally got around to trying The Persistence, and I've concluded it's not for me. I don't think the game is bad, but it's very much a rogue-like game, which is a genre I don't play. (I've only tried one other rogue-like, the Mooncrash DLC for Prey, and didn't enjoy that either.)

The issue I have with rogue-likes isn't that the level maps are randomly generated each time. (In The Persistence, this isn't really a problem anyway, because you'll probably be playing slowly, and you're always able to view a complete map of the level by hitting the touchpad.) It's that dying costs so much that I don't feel like I can practice my skills. For example, you have to purchase your weapons, paying with carefully scrounged resources. If you die because you couldn't figure out how to use a weapon properly, you've lost every weapon you were carrying. You'll have to start over from the beginning and scrounge up more resources to buy them again. Some progress is maintained; if you've increased your maximum health, that carries over, but even with 200% health, I was dying after two hits from certain enemies.

The Persistence's main story campaign involves completing four objectives, and I notice that only 28.1% of players have been awarded the trophy for completing the first objective. That means less than a third of people who've played have finished the first quarter of the game, which is apparently the easiest part. I managed to get that far, but the completion rate for the second objective drops to 12.4%, and I can see why; I'm giving up. Maybe this is typical for rogue-like games, but it makes me wonder: are developers actually happy when most of their customers never experience the vast majority of the game?

Anyway, if you're a fan of rogue-likes and want to try one in VR, you'll probably like this game.
post #1206 of 1207 Old 05-05-2019, 12:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked: 309
The Persistence definitely requires a bit of ... persistence. But the nice thing about the game is that upgrades to you and your weapons/gadgets as well as credits and stem cells you find all remain banked even after death. So while it takes a while, you will eventually get to a point where you are actually more powerful than even the strongest enemies. By the time I'd reached the ship's 4th level I was one-hitting everything. Add in the handy Ivy Serum which turns an enemy into your ally and the game becomes much easier once you put some time into it.

The devs also added in a recent update that added new game modes including one that lets you modify the game in many ways (infinite shield energy for example) to make the game easier (though these generally disable trophies).

While I normally hate rogue-likes, The Persistence ended up being one of the few PS4 games I actually got a platinum on; it's one of my favorite PSVR games.

Last edited by TonyDP; 05-05-2019 at 05:20 PM.
post #1207 of 1207 Old 05-12-2019, 09:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked: 309
The Mage's Tale got a Pro update a few days ago and it really improves the game. The addition of supersampling and more particle effects gives everything a sharper, far less coarse look than the original game. The update also includes some UI improvements so moving around, grabbing items, pulling levers and similar movements are all easier to pull off now. I decided to restart the game from scratch and have really been having a lot more fun with it now that the patch has dropped.

Last edited by TonyDP; 05-13-2019 at 03:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Virtual Reality (VR) & Augmented Reality (AR)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page