PS VR is a little more than a month away... who's buying one ? - Page 42 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 660Likes

post #1231 of 1257 Old 11-25-2019, 01:49 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2047 Post(s)
Liked: 4226
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktoolsie View Post
Thanks, how does the Pro improve things? Increased Frame Rate? I assume both support the 1080P resolution of the VR headset.

I haven't noticed frame-rate changes, so I would say framerate doesn't change, but I'm not entirely sure of that..?

The difference varies on different games. Most noticeable difference is the Pro has a sharper image, the non-Pro is a bit more blurry. Keep in mind that this generation VR will always have a certain blurriness to it no matter what, which is something to get used to.

Also some games have a bit extra detail (more complex scene), and better textures on the Pro.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1232 of 1257 Old 11-25-2019, 02:00 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post
I haven't noticed frame-rate changes, so I would say framerate doesn't change, but I'm not entirely sure of that..?

The difference varies on different games. Most noticeable difference is the Pro has a sharper image, the non-Pro is a bit more blurry. Keep in mind that this generation VR will always have a certain blurriness to it no matter what, which is something to get used to.

Also some games have a bit extra detail (more complex scene), and better textures on the Pro.

K, Thanks. The extra detail and more complex texture make sense. Not sure what would cause the difference in blurriness, unless it's a function of higher frame rates. Would think the games would run at the native frame rate, without interpolation, but maybe I'm wrong.
post #1233 of 1257 Old 11-25-2019, 02:01 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 2047 Post(s)
Liked: 4226
Quote:
K, Thanks. The extra detail and more complex texture make sense. Not sure what would cause the difference in blurriness, unless it's a function of higher frame rates. Would think the games would run at the native frame rate, without interpolation, but maybe I'm wrong.

I believe on certain games the Pro boosts the rendering resolution for the headset, which makes them look sharper.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1234 of 1257 Old 11-25-2019, 02:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Quick question from a PS4 Newbie: Does the PS4 VR experience work well on a regular PS4, or does it really require a PS4 Pro?

Thanks in advance.

It works just fine. No worries :-)
post #1235 of 1257 Old 11-25-2019, 02:42 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Webmonkey View Post
It works just fine. No worries :-)
Thanks, Glad to hear it. I think my newbie question has now been fully answered, so I'll let you guys return to your more advanced discussions.
post #1236 of 1257 Old 11-25-2019, 05:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked: 326
Quote:
Quick question from a PS4 Newbie: Does the PS4 VR experience work well on a regular PS4, or does it really require a PS4 Pro?

Thanks in advance.
Just to expand on this a bit, games need to be specifically patched to support the Pro. How the extra horsepower is used is really up to the individual developer and varies from game to game. With some games the difference can be pretty dramatic, with others not so much. Some of the tings possible with a Pro include

- bumping up framerates, going for native 90fps instead of 60fps interpolated to 120fps.
- implementing supersampling to improve the quality of textures.
- adding in additional particle effects and similar visual upgrades
- bump up the resolution to approach or reach PSVR's native 960x1080 threshold

Overall, I've found it to be an incremental but visible improvement that improves the overall experience when the hardware is used properly. As I am fond of saying, if you want the best possible PSVR experience, then you want to invest in a PS4 Pro.
post #1237 of 1257 Old 11-26-2019, 05:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Fujii is an exploration game built around gardening. Previously available for other platforms, it's coming to PSVR December 10th:

post #1238 of 1257 Old 12-10-2019, 12:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

New trailer for Paper Beast, coming Q1 2020:

Quote:
- Explore a dreamlike universe as you embark on a VR adventure filled with discovery.
- Encounter intelligent wildlife and watch them adapt their behaviour to the player’s actions. Establish meaningful connections with them as they guide you through the mysterious world of Paper Beast.
- Solve environmental puzzles by playing with the elements and the terrain: water, ice, sand...

- A full ecosystem set in a living, breathing dynamic virtual universe.
- An organic origami art style captures the world of Paper Beast.
- An extensive physic simulation system lies at the core of Paper Beast, powering everything from creature locomotion to terrain deformation, playing an active part in many of the puzzles adventures encountered.
TonyDP likes this.
post #1239 of 1257 Old 01-17-2020, 10:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Marvel's Iron Man VR has been delayed to May 15, 2020.
post #1240 of 1257 Old 01-29-2020, 10:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Just an FYI for any PSVR owners who also subscibe to PS+: One of the free games for February will be Firewall: Zero Hour.
post #1241 of 1257 Old 02-27-2020, 01:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Down the Rabbit Hole, a prequel to Alice in Wonderland, is coming to PSVR on March 26th:

TonyDP and Evan E like this.
post #1242 of 1257 Old 03-09-2020, 12:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Paper Beast releases March 24th:

TonyDP likes this.
post #1243 of 1257 Old 04-02-2020, 11:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Marvel's Iron Man VR has been delayed due to the COVID-19 pandemic. At the moment there isn't a new release date:

Quote:
Update: SIE has made the difficult decision to delay the launch of The Last of Us Part II and Marvel's Iron Man VR until further notice. Logistically, the global crisis is preventing us from providing the launch experience our players deserve.
https://twitter.com/PlayStation/stat...73000592384001
aaronwt likes this.
post #1244 of 1257 Old 04-04-2020, 06:37 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 26
The distance of clarity is dependent on the processing power. I think that is why the ps4 is blurrier than the pro. I only have a pc based vr (vive and vive pro) and the graphics card power makes all the difference in how far you can see clearly.

Sony's extreme market share is pissing off all the PC based VR owners by taking exclusive control of the biggest VR titles. GRRRrrr. Waiting for the ps5 this fall before I will get the sony vr (which is supposed to be great for the price already).
post #1245 of 1257 Old 04-04-2020, 10:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Just picked up Sairento VR on sale for PSVR and holy **** is it great. It’s like Superhot VR on steroids. I don’t know how they managed to do all the crazy jumping and wall running without causing nausea, but they did it.

Lots of weapon options, with swords, pistols, SMGs, rifles, and traditional ninja weapons like kunai, shurikens, bow and arrow, etc. Pretty deep character and weapon customization. Story content and randomized mission content are available, and lots of multiplayer options.

I tried to play multiplayer a few times and never saw anyone else online, which is a shame. The game has co-op and PVP modes and I’d love to try them out.

This one should be on everyone’s radar — it’s fantastic.
TonyDP likes this.
post #1246 of 1257 Old 04-10-2020, 01:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Here's Sairento's trailer:

aaronwt likes this.
post #1247 of 1257 Old 04-10-2020, 01:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Covert is a co-op game where one person, playing the thief, wears the VR helmet, while the other person, playing the hacker, uses an iOS phone or tablet:

post #1248 of 1257 Old 04-11-2020, 06:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhaines View Post
Just picked up Sairento VR on sale for PSVR and holy **** is it great. It’s like Superhot VR on steroids. I don’t know how they managed to do all the crazy jumping and wall running without causing nausea, but they did it.

Lots of weapon options, with swords, pistols, SMGs, rifles, and traditional ninja weapons like kunai, shurikens, bow and arrow, etc. Pretty deep character and weapon customization. Story content and randomized mission content are available, and lots of multiplayer options.

I tried to play multiplayer a few times and never saw anyone else online, which is a shame. The game has co-op and PVP modes and I’d love to try them out.

This one should be on everyone’s radar — it’s fantastic.
I was lucky enough to win a free copy of Sairento (along with a nifty steelbook to store the disc) a while back and it is a really well made and fun game. The Move control scheme takes a bit of getting used to but once you come to grips with it you can pull off all sorts of crazy stunts. I also really like the variety of weapons available as it really lets you tailor the gameplay to your liking, be it close quarters melee combat or taking enemies out at a distance with ranged weapons.
post #1249 of 1257 Old 04-11-2020, 10:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 103
I was finally able to play some Sairento VR multiplayer and I did want to amend my earlier comments — apparently the multiplayer in the PSVR version is gimped compared to the PC and you can only do 2-player co-op. No PvP, no 4-player modes. It’s a little laggy, but still good fun.

I strongly recommend flipping the option for locomotion to follow the controller instead of the headset. This will allow you to strafe with the off hand Move button similar to Skyrim VR, which is ideal for small adjustments. It’s only a negative if you use a melee weapon in your off hand and are trying to stealthily sneak up on someone with it...
post #1250 of 1257 Old 04-29-2020, 10:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Pistol Whip is a first-person shooter combined with a music rhythm game. It came out on other platforms last fall, and is coming to PSVR this summer:

TonyDP likes this.
post #1251 of 1257 Old 04-29-2020, 12:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I decided to get Pistol Whip for my Quest a few weeks ago. As far as rhythm games go I like it more than what I saw of Beat Saber (which I only tried the demo to). Pistol Whip's game design lets you either shoot to the beats for high scores or just treat it like an on-rails shooter with a stylized visual style and techno beat. It also has a wide range of difficulty settings so you can really tailor the game to your skill level and physical capabilities.

Most importantly, since the game is essentially an on-rails shooter and all the action happens in front of you, it should translate well to PSVR's Move controllers. The game's stylized graphics should also be well within PSVR's capabilities.

Here's hoping the devs take the time to get the most out of the PS4/PSVR hardware and don't settle for an Espire 1 level port.
post #1252 of 1257 Old 05-05-2020, 11:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

The Walking Dead: Saints and Sinners came out for other platforms back in January. Now it's available on PSVR:

TonyDP likes this.
post #1253 of 1257 Old 05-05-2020, 07:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Gorn is a physics-based gladiator game, coming to PSVR on May 19. It includes a Pinata mode that replaces blood with candy.

TonyDP likes this.
post #1254 of 1257 Old 05-12-2020, 11:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

A new release date for Marvel's Iron Man VR has been announced: July 3rd.

https://twitter.com/PlayStation/stat...30779499622405
post #1255 of 1257 Old 05-17-2020, 04:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedSeattle View Post
A new release date for Marvel's Iron Man VR has been announced: July 3rd.

https://twitter.com/PlayStation/stat...30779499622405
Yea! This remains my most anticipated PSVR game. Looking forward to seeing how the final game turns out.
post #1256 of 1257 Old 05-21-2020, 10:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Marvel's Iron Man VR has a free demo, available now:

https://store.playstation.com/en-us/...MVRDEMO0000001

Quote:
The demo includes:

“Malibu” tutorial mission
Interactive Stark Jet cinematic starring Tony, Friday & Pepper Potts
“Out of the Blue” Stark Jet gameplay mission
Flight Challenge optional mission
Advanced Combat Challenge optional mission
The above is just a small slice of the main game, but by the end of the “Out of the Blue” mission, you’ll start to feel like Iron Man as you fly, shoot, and Rocket Punch through some of Tony’s Ghost-hacked, Stark Tech drone problems.

What’s more, download and play this free demo to unlock the exclusive Molten Lava Armor Deco when you purchase the full game!
https://blog.us.playstation.com/2020...ee-demo-today/
TonyDP likes this.
post #1257 of 1257 Old 05-21-2020, 01:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I spent a couple of hours with the Iron Man VR demo (clocks in at a whopping 25GB).

Graphically, the game looks very good; about as good as can be expected from the PS4 hardware at this stage in its lifecycle. I'm playing on a Pro and to my eyes the location and character models seemed comparable to Blood & Truth.

Tracking was amazing. After finishing my last session i took off the headset and realized my back was to the camera but the Move controllers never floated off and always stayed true and hit all their marks. Camouflaj, the game's developer, has definitely performed some black magic with the tracking here.

Controls definitely take some getting used to. Learning to fly is easy enough but accurate turning and elevation changes can be a challenge at times. Turning can be done by any combination of gaze, aiming your hands in a direction, using the turn buttons and turning IRL. There's a lot of different mechanics to mix and match there and they can make executing tight turns, which can be essential at times, a challenge. Some folks have said there is a button to hover (which was not mentioned in the tutorials), it will come in handy when transitioning from flight to combat.

Since your hands control both flight and weapons, you can easily start to lose altitude when you move them to aim your repulsors. In addition to the repulsors, there is a punching thrust mechanic which lets you propel yourself towards an enemy that works well. An auxiliary weapon where you put your hands out and lower your palms (kind of like a mini-rocket launcher that lets you target multiple enemies) never felt natural to me and I was only able to successfully use that function about 50% of the time, if that. I believe the final game will also let you fire the Unibeam from your chest ARC reactor but that was not enabled in the demo (or I did not find it).

The game uses the Move's triggers to control thrust and the Move buttons to fire your repulsors. Personally, I would like to see an option to swap the trigger and Move buttons as firing repulsors with the triggers would feel more natural to me.

While the demo was a lot of fun, I think the devs will need to be really careful about tuning the difficulty in the final game. The controls can be a lot to manage for the average player and if the game really amps up the difficulty or introduces hard time limits it can easily become frustrating. If there was one part of the demo I hated it was the hard time limit on the combat challenge; I really hope the game steers away from that design trope as it is a real fun killer for a lot of people.

But overall Iron Man VR shows a ton of promise for a PSVR game being released so late in the console's lifecycle. Here's hoping the final game lives up to the promise of the demo.
DaverJ likes this.

Last edited by TonyDP; 05-21-2020 at 01:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Virtual Reality (VR) & Augmented Reality (AR)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page