PS VR is a little more than a month away... who's buying one ? - Page 42 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 648Likes

post #1231 of 1237 Old 11-25-2019, 02:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1797 Post(s)
Liked: 4061
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktoolsie View Post
Thanks, how does the Pro improve things? Increased Frame Rate? I assume both support the 1080P resolution of the VR headset.

I haven't noticed frame-rate changes, so I would say framerate doesn't change, but I'm not entirely sure of that..?

The difference varies on different games. Most noticeable difference is the Pro has a sharper image, the non-Pro is a bit more blurry. Keep in mind that this generation VR will always have a certain blurriness to it no matter what, which is something to get used to.

Also some games have a bit extra detail (more complex scene), and better textures on the Pro.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1232 of 1237 Old 11-25-2019, 03:00 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post
I haven't noticed frame-rate changes, so I would say framerate doesn't change, but I'm not entirely sure of that..?

The difference varies on different games. Most noticeable difference is the Pro has a sharper image, the non-Pro is a bit more blurry. Keep in mind that this generation VR will always have a certain blurriness to it no matter what, which is something to get used to.

Also some games have a bit extra detail (more complex scene), and better textures on the Pro.

K, Thanks. The extra detail and more complex texture make sense. Not sure what would cause the difference in blurriness, unless it's a function of higher frame rates. Would think the games would run at the native frame rate, without interpolation, but maybe I'm wrong.
post #1233 of 1237 Old 11-25-2019, 03:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1797 Post(s)
Liked: 4061
Quote:
K, Thanks. The extra detail and more complex texture make sense. Not sure what would cause the difference in blurriness, unless it's a function of higher frame rates. Would think the games would run at the native frame rate, without interpolation, but maybe I'm wrong.

I believe on certain games the Pro boosts the rendering resolution for the headset, which makes them look sharper.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1234 of 1237 Old 11-25-2019, 03:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Quick question from a PS4 Newbie: Does the PS4 VR experience work well on a regular PS4, or does it really require a PS4 Pro?

Thanks in advance.

It works just fine. No worries :-)
post #1235 of 1237 Old 11-25-2019, 03:42 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Webmonkey View Post
It works just fine. No worries :-)
Thanks, Glad to hear it. I think my newbie question has now been fully answered, so I'll let you guys return to your more advanced discussions.
post #1236 of 1237 Old 11-25-2019, 06:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked: 321
Quote:
Quick question from a PS4 Newbie: Does the PS4 VR experience work well on a regular PS4, or does it really require a PS4 Pro?

Thanks in advance.
Just to expand on this a bit, games need to be specifically patched to support the Pro. How the extra horsepower is used is really up to the individual developer and varies from game to game. With some games the difference can be pretty dramatic, with others not so much. Some of the tings possible with a Pro include

- bumping up framerates, going for native 90fps instead of 60fps interpolated to 120fps.
- implementing supersampling to improve the quality of textures.
- adding in additional particle effects and similar visual upgrades
- bump up the resolution to approach or reach PSVR's native 960x1080 threshold

Overall, I've found it to be an incremental but visible improvement that improves the overall experience when the hardware is used properly. As I am fond of saying, if you want the best possible PSVR experience, then you want to invest in a PS4 Pro.
post #1237 of 1237 Old 11-26-2019, 06:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 382
Fujii is an exploration game built around gardening. Previously available for other platforms, it's coming to PSVR December 10th:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Virtual Reality (VR) & Augmented Reality (AR)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page