What is the best VR to watch movies? - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 8Likes

post #61 of 72 Old 03-26-2019, 03:21 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Lukasx123
I found solution to convert BD3D to Side-By-Side in real-time without re-encode. It's simple. I tested with Goovis (disable stereoscopic mode, 2D).
You need jRiver Media Center (free trial 30 days). Or other software player witch works with MadVR.
In Video setting enable advanced MadVR render.
In MadVR setting check 3D format: side-by-side
Mount BD3D iso and play with jRiver Media Center, enable SBS mode in your headset.
I think this is a simple solution in both places and should work in 3840x1080 resolution (Luci Immers).
Lukasx123 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 72 Old 03-27-2019, 12:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Hi guys. I stumbled across this thread and I gotta say, it's a very interesting and fascinating discussion! As a VR user, I was quite surprised to learn about these "dedicated movie watching" headsets, so to speak. I was completely oblivious to the Cinera, the Goovis G2, and the LUCI Immerse until reading this thread. I gotta say, I'm intrigued by all of them, namely the LUCI immerse but it seems that one isn't out until sometime in August.

Am I correct in assuming these are not full VR HMDs? And are designed with viewing 2D or 3D movies in mind? If so, this could pose a big problem. Since these are not full VR units, I assume they wouldn't be compatible with VR applications like Bigscreen Beta. Bigscreen Beta is a VR app that allows you to view movies and other 2D content in a fully immersive VR environment, and not only alone, but with others, sharing the same environment as yourself. It's pretty awesome and in my opinion, if it picks up steam could seriously pose a threat to actual movie theaters some time in the future. It's that good!

The Cinera appears to be the headset that offers the highest resolution between the three and is the one I'm sorta interested in, but without full VR support I don't think it would work with Bigscreen Beta, unfortunately. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. Otherwise I may decide to go with the new HP Reverb, which by all accounts looks AMAZING! True 4K VR HMD with 114º FOV and is out next month.

So I guess we'll see how all this play out
post #63 of 72 Old 03-27-2019, 02:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revendor View Post
Lukasx123
I found solution to convert BD3D to Side-By-Side in real-time without re-encode. It's simple. I tested with Goovis (disable stereoscopic mode, 2D).
You need jRiver Media Center (free trial 30 days). Or other software player witch works with MadVR.
In Video setting enable advanced MadVR render.
In MadVR setting check 3D format: side-by-side
Mount BD3D iso and play with jRiver Media Center, enable SBS mode in your headset.
I think this is a simple solution in both places and should work in 3840x1080 resolution (Luci Immers).
Revendor, this is a very interesting discovery! So, would I be able to put a 3D blu-ray disk in my PC drive and run this real-time playback/conversion right of the disk?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 72 Old 03-27-2019, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isamu View Post
Hi guys. I stumbled across this thread and I gotta say, it's a very interesting and fascinating discussion! As a VR user, I was quite surprised to learn about these "dedicated movie watching" headsets, so to speak. I was completely oblivious to the Cinera, the Goovis G2, and the LUCI Immerse until reading this thread. I gotta say, I'm intrigued by all of them, namely the LUCI immerse but it seems that one isn't out until sometime in August.

Am I correct in assuming these are not full VR HMDs? And are designed with viewing 2D or 3D movies in mind? If so, this could pose a big problem. Since these are not full VR units, I assume they wouldn't be compatible with VR applications like Bigscreen Beta. Bigscreen Beta is a VR app that allows you to view movies and other 2D content in a fully immersive VR environment, and not only alone, but with others, sharing the same environment as yourself. It's pretty awesome and in my opinion, if it picks up steam could seriously pose a threat to actual movie theaters some time in the future. It's that good!

The Cinera appears to be the headset that offers the highest resolution between the three and is the one I'm sorta interested in, but without full VR support I don't think it would work with Bigscreen Beta, unfortunately. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. Otherwise I may decide to go with the new HP Reverb, which by all accounts looks AMAZING! True 4K VR HMD with 114º FOV and is out next month.

So I guess we'll see how all this play out [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]
Hi there! 🙂

I can tell you that LUCI Immerse comes with its own virtual theatre environments with 3DoF (three degrees of freedom) head tracking motion:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/5621...0164365817492/

You can also just customise a big screen in a perfect black environment (my favourite). Cinera supports 6-axis head tracking too (with the head mount accessory), but neither of these are intended to compete with a true VR headset. They are both optimised for watching 3D and 2D movies, with a bit of 180/360 VR video on the side.

The main benefits of LUCI Immers are comfort, convenience and portability, though the creator claims that LUCI will also make a lot of free content available to users as well.

That HP Reverb sounds interesting too though, especially for VR use.

Last edited by Lukasx123; 03-27-2019 at 07:05 AM.
post #65 of 72 Old 03-27-2019, 03:15 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukasx123 View Post
Revendor, this is a very interesting discovery! So, would I be able to put a 3D blu-ray disk in my PC drive and run this real-time playback/conversion right of the disk?
Yes. I'm recommended software player jRiver Media Center, auto-install MadVR (check advanced 3D in Video setting, auto-download render with first run Blu Ray 3D)
In others software player you need install MadVR manually, for example
https://www.tchapin.com/how-to-watch...ode-the-movie/
Lukasx123 likes this.

Last edited by Revendor; 03-27-2019 at 03:36 AM.
post #66 of 72 Old 03-27-2019, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revendor View Post
Yes. I'm recommended software player jRiver Media Center, auto-install MadVR (check advanced 3D in Video setting, auto-download render with first run Blu Ray 3D)
In others software player you need install MadVR manually, for example
https://www.tchapin.com/how-to-watch...ode-the-movie/
Someone has recommended another player (on a different forum) that apparently supports real-time format conversion: Bino (https://bino3d.org)

I've not had a chance to test this player either, but it is free to use, so might be another interesting option?
post #67 of 72 Old 03-28-2019, 01:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
There is a LUCI ALYX headset coming out too, with 4K screens. However, I believe this is actually a VR headset.

Hi Lukasx. Can you shed some light on where you heard that the ALYX will have two 4K screens? I don't see any mention of the ALYX at all on LUCI's webpage. I only heard them briefly mention it in some old Youtube CES vid. Can you provide a link to where it's mentioned that it'll have 4K screens?
post #68 of 72 Old 03-28-2019, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isamu View Post
Quote:
There is a LUCI ALYX headset coming out too, with 4K screens. However, I believe this is actually a VR headset.

Hi Lukasx. Can you shed some light on where you heard that the ALYX will have two 4K screens? I don't see any mention of the ALYX at all on LUCI's webpage. I only heard them briefly mention it in some old Youtube CES vid. Can you provide a link to where it's mentioned that it'll have 4K screens?
Hi, I'll admit it does look like LUCI are currently 100% focused on launching their Immers headset, and there doesn't appear to be a lot of recent/official information out there about the ALYX at the moment. Here is the source I saw the dual-4k screen specifications:

www.sizescreens.com/luci-alyx-specifications

However, I've just found this source that describes the screens as dual-1080p screens, with 120Hz refresh rate and 'increased FOV':

https://www.ecoustics.com/products/l...x-vr-headwear/

Very confusing. I guess they've shelved the ALYX for now until the Immers is launched? Not sure what the final confirmed screen resolution will be.
post #69 of 72 Old 05-01-2019, 06:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi, is anybody here planning on buying the goovis pro and testing the 3D?

And could someone who owns the goovis g2 take a picture of the microdisplay showing the pixel grid as it is when using the g2?

Thanks!
post #70 of 72 Old 07-03-2019, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Dell View Post
Hi, is anybody here planning on buying the goovis pro and testing the 3D?

And could someone who owns the goovis g2 take a picture of the microdisplay showing the pixel grid as it is when using the g2?

Thanks!
Goovis have announced that they can upgrade current G2 headsets to Pro (and enable the 3D capability) for $350. You have to post the headset to them at your own cost, but they will ship it back inclusive in the price. They are throwing in a new face cushion with each upgrade.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/c...2#/updates/all
post #71 of 72 Old 07-19-2019, 04:38 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBill1945 View Post
I am not a gamer. I had my first experience with VR at a Christmas fair. I found this particular unit used your mobile phone to view movies. It did not do much for me. The picture was not real clear. As I said I am looking to get a VR just to watch movies. Should I wait or is there something out there that I might look at?
For a non gamer, VR is not just worth it. I want to suggest the PlayStation.
post #72 of 72 Old 12-31-2019, 09:47 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked: 141
What current products to look at for 3d blu rays played from a pc and use a separate headphone system?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Virtual Reality (VR) & Augmented Reality (AR)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page