What is the best VR to watch movies? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 8Likes

post #1 of 72 Old 11-30-2017, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
What is the best VR to watch movies?

I am not a gamer. I had my first experience with VR at a Christmas fair. I found this particular unit used your mobile phone to view movies. It did not do much for me. The picture was not real clear. As I said I am looking to get a VR just to watch movies. Should I wait or is there something out there that I might look at?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 72 Old 11-30-2017, 09:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 384
You can use Playstation VR to watch 3D Blu-Rays, but it's not worth it for that alone. If you're not a gamer, you don't need VR just yet.
post #3 of 72 Old 11-30-2017, 09:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedSeattle View Post
You can use Playstation VR to watch 3D Blu-Rays, but it's not worth it for that alone. If you're not a gamer, you don't need VR just yet.
Thanks so much. I kind of figured it out with reading but I figured one of you guys would have a better answer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 72 Old 12-01-2017, 10:08 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBill1945 View Post
Thanks so much. I kind of figured it out with reading but I figured one of you guys would have a better answer.
There are 3D Headsets to view both 3D and 2D movies. The Sony HMZ T1, HMZ T2 and the HMZ T3W, VisionHMD.
post #5 of 72 Old 12-01-2017, 11:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 384
Sony discontinued their HMZ line when they released the Playstation VR.
post #6 of 72 Old 12-01-2017, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedSeattle View Post
Sony discontinued their HMZ line when they released the Playstation VR.
So I gather I should wait still. I have heard that they are developing a VR set that does not require a phone or game stations. Have any of you heard that? I imagine it would hook up to the net and you could watch streaming movies directly in HD. Wouldn't that be something!!
post #7 of 72 Old 12-01-2017, 07:36 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Why do yo think you need a headset? You can just watch streaming movies on a tablet, phone, or any computer.
post #8 of 72 Old 12-01-2017, 08:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan E View Post
Why do yo think you need a headset? You can just watch streaming movies on a tablet, phone, or any computer.
I would like the theatre experience. I have limited experience with VR. What I did experience was that the picture was not good. It was one that used a mobile phone.
post #9 of 72 Old 12-02-2017, 08:50 AM

Quote:
I would like the theatre experience. I have limited experience with VR. What I did experience was that the picture was not good. It was one that used a mobile phone.
Then a PSVR is your best bet. It is inexpensive and with a mCable HDMI the picture quality is improved. The drawback is you need a PS4 to download the 3D update to the PS4 and the PSVR. I don't know if you download the updates on a PC or laptop if they would work.
post #10 of 72 Old 12-03-2017, 10:34 AM

$400 - PS4 Pro
$300 - PSVR GT Sport Bundle (cheapest way to get a PSVR set right now)
$120 - mCable Gaming Edition
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
$820 - cost to watch a low-res, non-HDR movie on a pretend screen

I'm really not seeing the bang-for-the-buck here. Just watching a movie on a TV, or even a laptop or tablet*, is a far, far better experience, without a scuba mask strapped to your face. I really recommend you try this out before spending money, because I think you may have unrealistic expectations.

*or paying $15 to see a movie in a movie theater
post #11 of 72 Old 12-03-2017, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
$400 - PS4 Pro
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm really not seeing the bang-for-the-buck here. Just watching a movie on a TV, or even a laptop or tablet*, is a far, far better experience, without a scuba mask strapped to your face. I really recommend you try this out before spending money, because I think you may have unrealistic expectations.

It is not about paying money to go to a movie. I am both a senior and a disabled veteran and going to the movies is not always an option. I went to Best Buy and sampled some of the wares yesterday. I have come to the conclusion that VR at this time is not for me. I will wait. I more than likely will opt for one of the OLED screens when the prices drop as more companies get into the market place. Thank you all for the feed back.
post #12 of 72 Old 12-03-2017, 11:40 AM

Quote:
$400 - PS4 Pro

I have seen PSVRs New and Used below $300.00 on eBay. PS4's can be cheaper in Game stores.
post #13 of 72 Old 12-03-2017, 01:11 PM

Quote:
It is not about paying money to go to a movie. I am both a senior and a disabled veteran and going to the movies is not always an option...
Got it. Sorry if I gave offense; I definitely think you're better off watching movies almost any other way. "Theater Mode" on VR is one of those things that's available because they can do it easily, not because it's all that great.
post #14 of 72 Old 12-03-2017, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Got it. Sorry if I gave offense; I definitely think you're better off watching movies almost any other way. "Theater Mode" on VR is one of those things that's available because they can do it easily, not because it's all that great.
None taken. I appreciate yours' and others' advice. That is why I wanted to talk to people who have experience with this stuff. My son in law has VR but he uses it for gaming. I tried it and thought it was pretty cool but with my issues it wears me out
Evan E likes this.
post #15 of 72 Old 12-05-2017, 10:44 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I am wondering about VR for watching movies. I tried some Windows Mixed Reality headsets at my local Microsoft Store and sat in a virtual home theater and watched a trailer for "War for the Planet of the Apes". I also tried other things in the demo, but let's focus on the video-watching aspect.
I've tried to figure out what resolution I'd need the head-mounted display (HMD) to have per eye in order for me to see every pixel of a video of a given resolution (1080p or 4k) on that virtual home theater screen, and I'm going to try to think this through in this message thread. The factors that will influence whether I'll be able to see every pixel of a video file in that virtual home theater are:
1. the resolution per eye of the HMD (obviously)
2. the resolution of the video being watched
-- it's more complex if the video being watched is a stereoscopic 3D video, because now we have to know the resolution of the video per eye
3. your point of view in the virtual home theater
-- your distance from the virtual screen. Are you standing at the back of the virtual room, or are you close enough that the virtual screen fills your entire field of view? This matters, because while your position in the virtual home theater is not fixed, the resolution per eye of the HMD is fixed, so you'll want to be close enough to the virtual screen that the resolution of the video isn't degraded. This probably means standing or sitting close enough to the virtual screen that it occupies the HMD's entire horizontal field of view.
-- your angle from which you are viewing the virtual screen. Are you viewing the virtual screen from an angle, or are you viewing it from the center of the virtual room? You'll want to be viewing the virtual screen from as close to the center of the virtual room as possible, otherwise you'll perceive more detail from one side of the screen than from the other.

Aspects that are beyond my knowledge:
4. is the HMD's screen straight, or is it concave?
5. with Windows Mixed Reality immersive headsets, it may be possible to adjust the focal point. I don't really even understand what this means.

Of course, being able to perceive the video's original resolution isn't the only thing that matters; so too does being able to perceive the video's original color gamut and dynamic range, and being able to watch it without frame rate conversion.
-- frame rate: since the two frame rates I'm reading about when it comes to Windows Mixed Reality headsets are 60 Hz and 90 Hz, frame rate conversion will occur when watching 24p content. To avoid frame rate conversion of 24p content, we'd need HMDs refreshing at 120 Hz, which would allow us to watch 24p content and 30p content with no frame rate conversion.
post #16 of 72 Old 12-11-2017, 01:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked: 360
For just watching HD movies and such right now the "big boy in the business" appear to be the Royole Moon VR which has dual 1920x1080 AMOLED screens with over 3.000 pixels per inch of resolution, controls for IPD and vision adjustment range, spec'd contrast ratio of more than 10.000:1, 53 degrees FOV, response time of less than 0.01 ms, refresh rate of 60 Hz and msrp of $800, but you should be able to find it for less.
You can check customer reviews at Amazon, with the main complaint appearing to be weight and comfort.

Recently another contender/rival became available online with what appear to be the exact same specs but without build-in headphones and weighing much/much less, the Goovis G1 VR. It is currently available at NewEgg for $500 and there are a couple of owner reviews at Amazon.

There is also a current Indiegogo campaign for the Goovis G2 Cinego with increased 32GB internal memory, remote control with touchpad and advertised built-in 6-axis motion sensing accelerometer for 360 degree viewing, an "early-bird" pre-order price of $450 with promised February delivery.

I am seriously considering backing the Indiegogo campaign considering its specifications, price and the fact that the Goovis G2 is essentially an improved version of the widely available Goovis G1, so it is no "pie in the sky" promise.
post #17 of 72 Old 12-29-2017, 09:08 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Do glasses exist that are neither VR or 3D, something passive that requires no connections or phones, that can be used with your existing TV? This could possibly be just a magnifying lens that will enlarge the TV screen or have a hood like the 3D glasses to remove the room walls from the field of view. I have a 55” TV mounted at the foot of my bed and found that when I cup my hands around my eyes so that it blocks the rest of the room from my peripheral vision and I only see the screen, it appears much more immersive and larger. It's like looking out of a window. I feel like something like this already exists, maybe for a different use or industry, I just don’t know what to search for.
post #18 of 72 Old 01-24-2018, 08:05 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Samsung Gear VR

I think Samsung Gear VR is a great device not only for movies, but also for games. Besides, Topmaxions 3D VR is also a good choice.
post #19 of 72 Old 01-27-2018, 01:20 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1487 Post(s)
Liked: 440
The way I understand HMD displays:

The screen in the HMD is flat but to create the illusion of watching 360VR from the center inside of a sphere, the video file has to be in equirectangular distorted format. If it is not, then the video, like a standard 16x9 movie is viewed as a flat rectangular screen against black or some players place the flat screen of the movie in a 360VR image of a theater room. You can load different players and virtual theater rooms if you wish.

The movie in standard rectangular form in an HMD doesn't require as high a resolution because the pixel density is full original, same as if you were watching on a flat screen TV. But the 360VR equirectangular being that it is projected to a screen that is the three times in expanded area, the image will appear like a resolution that is a third of a normal resolution. This is why an equirectangular projected image of UHD resolution in an HMD can have the appearance of 3840/3.14159 resolution. Or, 1222 horizontal x 687 vertical.

To achieve full UHD 360VR, you would need an HMD with a pixel density of 12K and the cameras shooting it at that pixel density.

My 3D and 360VR videos and more
Don Landis HT System: Projector Sony VPL VW665ES Players: Samsung UBD K8500 OPPO BD93 Sony BDP S6200 All Regions Player Denon AVR S940, 7.1 JBL Professional series and Klipsch PS3, XBOX360, Dish VIP722K; 3D; Apple TV 4K. Edit Suite:Adobe Premiere, Edius7.53, Vegas Pro v13, Power Director16, i9-7980XE/GTX1080Ti, LG 3D TV DM2752
post #20 of 72 Old 02-08-2018, 11:59 PM

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCaugusto View Post

There is also a current Indiegogo campaign for the Goovis G2 Cinego with increased 32GB internal memory, remote control with touchpad and advertised built-in 6-axis motion sensing accelerometer for 360 degree viewing, an "early-bird" pre-order price of $450 with promised February delivery.

I am seriously considering backing the Indiegogo campaign considering its specifications, price and the fact that the Goovis G2 is essentially an improved version of the widely available Goovis G1, so it is no "pie in the sky" promise.

Hi @MCaugusto did you end up backing the G2 Cinego? I am considering it too, I currently have the Sony HMZ T3 but I don't use it much as its quite uncomfortable on the bridge of the nose. Hopefully the Cinego G2 is more comfortable. I don't see many reviews however.

Sony VPL-VW520 | Elitescreens TT 135" 2.35:1 | Elitescreens TT 120" 16x9 | Prismasonic HD-6000F | Onkyo TX-RZ3100 | Oppo UDP-203 | PS4 PRO | ATV4K | LG OLED 65 C7 | Klipsch Reference RP-280 | Klipsch Reference RP-280C | Klipsch Reference RP-250S | Klipsch Reference RP-150M | Klipsch Reference R-115SW | Klipsch Reference R-140SA
post #21 of 72 Old 02-09-2018, 12:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabz View Post
Hi @MCaugusto did you end up backing the G2 Cinego? I am considering it too, I currently have the Sony HMZ T3 but I don't use it much as its quite uncomfortable on the bridge of the nose. Hopefully the Cinego G2 is more comfortable. I don't see many reviews however.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, i did place my order for a Goovis G2 Cinego and according to shipping schedule i should be receiving mine within the next couple of weeks.
There is a short "review" on the web site https://www.wareable.com and the writer mentions he watched parts of "Avatar" on it and it "really did seem like watching on a large screen", and that he would "vouch for its picture quality".
I will post my impressions on this thread once i receive my unit.

Sony XBR-940E, Integra DHC-80.2, Oppo 103, Sound Lab A-1 electrostatic speakers,SVS PC12-NSD subs, InnerSound Electrostatic Amp,, Hafler 220 amp, Harman Kardon PA5800 amp, Pioneer LD-W1, Darbee Darblet, DVDO iScan Mini, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha CR-7, Koss ESP/950, Stax SR-40, Audeze Isine 10, etc, etc.
post #22 of 72 Old 02-12-2018, 06:49 PM

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, i did place my order for a Goovis G2 Cinego and according to shipping schedule i should be receiving mine within the next couple of weeks.
There is a short "review" on the web site https://www.wareable.com and the writer mentions he watched parts of "Avatar" on it and it "really did seem like watching on a large screen", and that he would "vouch for its picture quality".

Great thanks, will take a look at that review.
Have you heard of the Cinera? http://cinera.net Im a bit skeptical on how they can make something that large comfortable to wear without it leaning on your nose. (with the head strap).
Thats the issue I have with the Sony HMZ T3, the head strap is ok, however it ends up leaning on the bridge of your nose making it uncomfortable.

Sony VPL-VW520 | Elitescreens TT 135" 2.35:1 | Elitescreens TT 120" 16x9 | Prismasonic HD-6000F | Onkyo TX-RZ3100 | Oppo UDP-203 | PS4 PRO | ATV4K | LG OLED 65 C7 | Klipsch Reference RP-280 | Klipsch Reference RP-280C | Klipsch Reference RP-250S | Klipsch Reference RP-150M | Klipsch Reference R-115SW | Klipsch Reference R-140SA
post #23 of 72 Old 03-09-2018, 03:50 AM

Liked: 1
Quote:

There is a short "review" on the web site and the writer mentions he watched parts of "Avatar" on it and it "really did seem like watching on a large screen", and that he would "vouch for its picture quality".
Hi, did you (or anyone else) receive your Cinego yet? I'm having trouble using it with a blu ray player and wondered if anyone else was having problems?

Thanks.
post #24 of 72 Old 03-19-2018, 04:24 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to ver123
A few weeks ago, my projector dies. And now I would like to know if someone has experience CINERA or any recommendation to watch movies direct from my receiver ( MARANTZ AV8002A ).
Thanks in advance,

Verny
post #25 of 72 Old 04-04-2018, 08:18 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Cinego format?

I just recently received my Goovis Cinego G2. I'd say it's almost amazing. I say that because, while it's really an immersive experience and the video quality seems pretty darn good, it's still a bit sketchy at the edges. Please take my commentary with a grain of salt, since I've never used a VR headset before, so I don't really have anything to compare it to. Add to that, my eyes are certainly not what they used to be (or ever were, for that matter.....)

In the week or so I've been playing around with it, it's been pretty good. The Cinego allows for a fairly wide adjustment of diopter and inter pupillary factors - my right eye is pretty good IRL and I can get it dialed in quite well. My left eye is pretty weak IRL and I can get the headset dialed in okay, but it's still pretty fuzzy, especially in the peripheral. Movies look pretty good and the fit and weight of the unit is okay - I'd rate it comparable to the few occasions I've gone to 3D movies in theaters and used the glasses (in combo with my prescription lenses). I can't really say where the problems lie, since it could be my eyeballs, or the unit, or the video format I'm encoding.

You can use the Cinego in a bunch of different ways; it'll hook up to wifi, allowing it to access Netflix, Hulu, Youtube, etc.; plug it into an HDMI out from a computer or home theater or load movies into the onboard memory or plug in a USB stick. Supposedly it can also hook up to a drone/wifi setup, though I haven't tried that yet. It also has switch that allows a choice between 2D and 3D, but I have no idea what the format and requirements of 3D video are. I have yet to try plugging HDMI into a blu-ray player with a 3D disc (I'm not even sure that's a thing, which gives you an idea of my knowledge and experience in the higher end of things discussed on these boards).

Here's my question for the community: what's the best format for the video in a setup like this? I'm using Ripit on a Mac to convert discs to .dvdmedia. That format looks good when played back via Apple DVD player on the computer, but .dvdmedia is not supported by iTunes or other players (iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, Cinego, etc.), so I've been using Handbrake to convert to 'HQ 1080p Surround'. I'm still seeing lots of artifacts and general effects of compression, and just looking at the file sizes I can tell that .m4v, .mp4 and .avi are throwing away a LOT of data. Is there a better format I should be trying?
post #26 of 72 Old 04-05-2018, 11:27 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Thanks for commenting on the Goovis G2 Cinego! I had the opportunity to try the Sony HMZ-T3W, and the potential I could foresee back then for personal cinema (even from a 720p HMD) was staggering!

I've been monitoring the crowdfunding campaigns of both Cinera and Cinego, and whilst I have been lucky enough to sample a pre-production model of the Cinera first-hand, I was unable to get a demo of the Cinego before the original crowdfunder ended (though it still lives on as an IndieGoGo OnDemand product at $850 with a 17% discount). As a result, I was unwilling to commit to funding Cinego, especially after they persistently exaggerated about the so-called '4K' resolution support (which is not technically possible from 2x 1080p displays).

I was a bit disappointed, because clearly Cinego is the superior headset in terms of portability and unobtrusive, lightweight use. In fact, when I first laid eyes on Cinego, I assumed this was the spiritual successor to the Sony line of headsets (of which I had already been impressed), so I might well have funded it. They look very similar at a glance.

Ever since then, I've been searching around online to find any scrap of info or a decent review to help me determine whether I was right to pass it up, or whether it was a massive mistake to miss out on.

It sounds to me like the Cinego is essentially an unofficial upgrade to the Sony HMZ-T3W in terms of resolution, ergonomics and in-built functionality, but crrently lacks in some of the core software functionality, such as the full 3D format support.

I ultimately funded Cinera, as I wanted a more 'cinematic' and 'immersive' experience, due to the greater FOV of 66 degrees. Although the pre-production version of the Cinera I tried isn't fully representative of the completed production units that will shortly be released to backers (the first mass batch has recently shipped!), I can tell you that the 1440p (2.5k) LCD screens looked absolutely STUNNING and '4K-like' in terms of the clarity and colours when viewing high-quality 4K material on it, with no obvious screendoor effect at all, even to my extremely perceptive eyes. The visual experience through these screens is massively immersive, though there were some instances where I felt the smaller FOV of 45 degrees of the Sony headset was slightly less demanding on my eyes and might represent an easier viewing experience over a longer period of time, for bingeing for hours on TV shows, or as a desktop replacement.

That being said, I hear that tweaks and changes may have been made to the optics since I sampled it, so I'm very excited to get my hands on my final production unit!!!

The Cinera only supports SBS 3D at the time of initial release (like Cinego), but the developers have promised to add Blu-Ray 3D compatibility in a later firmware update.

There's no way you would want to support the weight of a Cinera headset with your arms for the duration of a film or TV show. I haven't had an opportunity to try the headmount support (though Cinera themselves said that they don't necessarily recommend using that for watching movies, it's more intended for FPV drone flight, etc).

I was able to try the arm bracket support that Cinera provide for their headset. It solves the problem of the headset weight, and there is no pressure at all on your forehead or nose, but you're best off keeping your head supported by a backrest or cushion, otherwise your neck could get fatigued holding your head in position against the headset for longer periods of time, and it can be a pain if you need to make any significant adjustments to the height of the arm, but it's very stable once you have it set up.

I'm very excited about the future of these headsets. I almost invested in a PIMAX 8K headset too, though my assessment was that despite the FOV of 210 degrees and the massive true 4K resolution per screen, the effective pixels per degree when watching a movie on it wouldn't be any higher than on the Cinera or Cinego, and you'd need a powerhouse PC to run it off, so I let that one go too.

I'll be very interested to hear more about the screen quality of the Cinego. Although it is only 1080p resolution, it was the OLED technology and the pixel density that Goovis were promoting.

I wonder how good the dark levels, contrast and refresh rate of the OLED screen are? How well do they handle the compression of streaming video and lower resolution video?
post #27 of 72 Old 04-05-2018, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukasx123 View Post
Thanks for commenting on the Goovis G2 Cinego! I had the opportunity to try the Sony HMZ-T3W, and the potential I could foresee back then for personal cinema (even from a 720p HMD) was staggering!

I've been monitoring the crowdfunding campaigns of both Cinera and Cinego, and whilst I have been lucky enough to sample a pre-production model of the Cinera first-hand, I was unable to get a demo of the Cinego before the original crowdfunder ended (though it still lives on as an IndieGoGo OnDemand product at $850 with a 17% discount). As a result, I was unwilling to commit to funding Cinego, especially after they persistently exaggerated about the so-called '4K' resolution support (which is not technically possible from 2x 1080p displays).

I was a bit disappointed, because clearly Cinego is the superior headset in terms of portability and unobtrusive, lightweight use. In fact, when I first laid eyes on Cinego, I assumed this was the spiritual successor to the Sony line of headsets (of which I had already been impressed), so I might well have funded it. They look very similar at a glance.

Ever since then, I've been searching around online to find any scrap of info or a decent review to help me determine whether I was right to pass it up, or whether it was a massive mistake to miss out on.

It sounds to me like the Cinego is essentially an unofficial upgrade to the Sony HMZ-T3W in terms of resolution, ergonomics and in-built functionality, but crrently lacks in some of the core software functionality, such as the full 3D format support.

I ultimately funded Cinera, as I wanted a more 'cinematic' and 'immersive' experience, due to the greater FOV of 66 degrees. Although the pre-production version of the Cinera I tried isn't fully representative of the completed production units that will shortly be released to backers (the first mass batch has recently shipped!), I can tell you that the 1440p (2.5k) LCD screens looked absolutely STUNNING and '4K-like' in terms of the clarity and colours when viewing high-quality 4K material on it, with no obvious screendoor effect at all, even to my extremely perceptive eyes. The visual experience through these screens is massively immersive, though there were some instances where I felt the smaller FOV of 45 degrees of the Sony headset was slightly less demanding on my eyes and might represent an easier viewing experience over a longer period of time, for bingeing for hours on TV shows, or as a desktop replacement.

That being said, I hear that tweaks and changes may have been made to the optics since I sampled it, so I'm very excited to get my hands on my final production unit!!!

The Cinera only supports SBS 3D at the time of initial release (like Cinego), but the developers have promised to add Blu-Ray 3D compatibility in a later firmware update.

There's no way you would want to support the weight of a Cinera headset with your arms for the duration of a film or TV show. I haven't had an opportunity to try the headmount support (though Cinera themselves said that they don't necessarily recommend using that for watching movies, it's more intended for FPV drone flight, etc).

I was able to try the arm bracket support that Cinera provide for their headset. It solves the problem of the headset weight, and there is no pressure at all on your forehead or nose, but you're best off keeping your head supported by a backrest or cushion, otherwise your neck could get fatigued holding your head in position against the headset for longer periods of time, and it can be a pain if you need to make any significant adjustments to the height of the arm, but it's very stable once you have it set up.

I'm very excited about the future of these headsets. I almost invested in a PIMAX 8K headset too, though my assessment was that despite the FOV of 210 degrees and the massive true 4K resolution per screen, the effective pixels per degree when watching a movie on it wouldn't be any higher than on the Cinera or Cinego, and you'd need a powerhouse PC to run it off, so I let that one go too.

I'll be very interested to hear more about the screen quality of the Cinego. Although it is only 1080p resolution, it was the OLED technology and the pixel density that Goovis were promoting.

I wonder how good the dark levels, contrast and refresh rate of the OLED screen are? How well do they handle the compression of streaming video and lower resolution video?
Very interesting, so I ask you: what option do you recommend ?
post #28 of 72 Old 04-06-2018, 03:26 AM

Truthfully, at this time I don't feel equipped to make a judgement on it.

I have no personal experience of Cinego, and there are limited reviews out there. The general buzz is that the visual experience is very good, but the in-built player functionality is very limited. I also heard that they run quite hot.

I have only had limited personal experience with a pre-production model of Cinera, so while my experience was very good (with a few issues that I believe are going to be resolved for the final production models) I still don't feel qualified to give a final verdict on Cinera either.

The only headset I can really comment on is the Sony HMZ-T3W, which is an excellent product, with my only complaints being that the resolution is a bit low (720p), though still watchable. Also, the headstrap is a bit uncomfortable for me, but then I have a big head!

What I would like more than anything is to try the final Cinera AND the Cinego and compare them directly. My first priority is screen quality. I'm happy to use the HDMI-IN on either of them and let another device playback the video. I'm not even that worried about portability, as I would probably use the headset at home mostly (or at a hotel, etc), but not on the move.

I've been intrigued about the higher resolution LCD (Cinera) vs lower resolution OLED (Cinego) image quality comparison. Also, how well both units cope with lower-bandwidth, compressed streaming video and lower resolution video. Cinera displays those bright 4K videos that Samsung and Panasonic and LG release to showcase their latest TVs beautifully. The video is probably being downscaled (presumably to 1440p), but it still looks incredibly rich and vibrant with very crisp and sharp detail. I have a 55" 4K TV, and the picture quality seems pretty similar with the right video footage.

Where I would really like to see both headsets tested is with fast-moving action scenes with lots of camera movement to show how smoothly it is rendered, and darker footage that would reveal the relative contrast and black-levels difference between the OLED and LCD screens.

I'm sure both headsets produce what will be industry-leading screen experiences (until someone else comes in with a higher quality headset that tops the specifications of both). Native 4K is still achievable with next-generation graphics hardware, and as OLED becomes cheaper, we might even be treated to 4K OLED screen technology eventually!

But for now, I'll have to wait and see what my production Cinera is like, and try to get my hands on a Cinego, which in my opinion is the only direct 'personal cinema headset' competition at this time.
post #29 of 72 Old 04-06-2018, 08:09 AM

Thank you so much, Lukasx123
It seems that is too early for these units. I´m very interested in Cinera, because of the specs. So, its difficult for me try before buy it.
I hope soon will be more reviews.

Ver123
post #30 of 72 Old 04-06-2018, 08:56 AM

I promise I'll post an incredibly thorough review of Cinera when I receive my copy within the next few weeks. Apparently, it could ship out as soon as the 10th April.

I'm always looking for informative reviews on products like these, so it'll practically be a public service for me to provide one seeing as I'll have a rare personal insight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Virtual Reality (VR) & Augmented Reality (AR)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page