CINERA: The Future Of Home Cinema - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 9Likes

post #1 of 75 Old 04-17-2018, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 18
CINERA: The Future Of Home Cinema

WATCH ALL YOUR FAVORITE MEDIA IN STUNNING DETAIL
Cinera is the most flexible and powerful, Android powered, video headset solution on the market.

Watch your favorite shows, movies and apps on gorgeous dual 2.5K displays that offer a stunning field of view of 66 degrees. Cinera is a movie-lover’s new must-have tool.

Hook up your favorite Blu-ray player, gaming console, or computer with Cinera’s HDMI Input to take your gaming from the little screen to the silver screen.

http://cinera.net/

Last edited by teachsac; 08-20-2018 at 01:41 PM. Reason: Kickstarter links are not permitted
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 75 Old 04-17-2018, 03:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
So glad someone created this thread. I’m a backer on this product through indiegogo, but haven’t received my unit yet. I don’t think its even been mailed, as there has been near constant delays. If anyone out there has received theirs, could they do a review? I would sure love some insight. There’s been a few quick blurbs on it on the Kickstarter and Indiegogo message boards under the backer pages, but I’d sure love some real hands-on thoughts, especially if anyone has had it for a few days or weeks. Maybe even some video of just how it looks and real-life use scenarios?

Thanks a lot!
post #3 of 75 Old 04-18-2018, 09:11 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Hello to all owners,
I am still waiting for my cinera! I have asked Cinera if they open their own forum but I do not believe!
I hope we can share our experiences and problems here
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 75 Old 04-18-2018, 03:41 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 2
This is a great idea!

I'm a Kickstarter backer. Looking forward to hearing the insights of those who already received their production Cinera headset.
post #5 of 75 Old 04-18-2018, 11:04 PM - Thread Starter

What I was wondering was, it doesn't have a focus option so it would be blurry for some users?
post #6 of 75 Old 04-19-2018, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j2037 View Post
What I was wondering was, it doesn't have a focus option so it would be blurry for some users?
I think the idea is that you can use your glasses while wearing Cinera.

https://cinera.net/cinera-highlight-glasses-friendly/
post #7 of 75 Old 04-19-2018, 02:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 97
When will people learn. Never buy anything from kickstarter. If there idea is so great a bigger company will copy them and do it better for cheaper.
post #8 of 75 Old 04-19-2018, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic1! View Post
When will people learn. Never buy anything from kickstarter. If there idea is so great a bigger company will copy them and do it better for cheaper.
Please can you provide a link to this cheaper product from a bigger company? I'll order one!

Seriously though, mainstream technological change and innovation is often driven by the creativity of these small crowdfunded companies, and the pioneering backers who are prepared to invest in them.

In effect, we must use our wallets to demonstrate to the larger companies that there is a demand and a ready market for these products, and inspire them to act.
post #9 of 75 Old 04-19-2018, 07:45 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I was lucky and thrilled that I received my CINERA several weeks ago. Mostly I LOVE this unit. I'm only interested in the Stereo3D capability, and it's far better than anything I've seen (like the Sony HMZ-T1 or Phone based viewers). Image quality is spectacular, and it's great to have many options for input as well as full Android capability. I think it's necessary to have a wireless keyboard/trackpad. I'm also looking forward to the software update that will allow 3D Blu-Rays to play (I have a workaround, but it's half-res). It's actually GOOD that there's no focus: set for infinity, so you can hand it to someone and be pretty sure they'll see a sharp image (if they wear glasses for distance). Also, the arm is very heavy-duty and well made. Looking forward to the head mount.

From what I understand, it's often difficult to have full control of the manufacturing process. I was upset that I had to wait 6 months, but am now thrilled that the unit is really as good or better than I imagined. In some ways these initial shipments are a bit of beta testing, as they are really going out before FULLY vetted/tested. Yes, this is sometimes a part of the Kickstarter process. The Cinera team seems to be doing their best to accommodate us, but I can understand why many are angry. Hopefully you'll be as pleased as I am when yours finally arrives (soon I hope!).

ron labbe
studio3d.com
stereoscopic imaging
SONY 55X850B
post #10 of 75 Old 04-19-2018, 08:18 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Send a message via Skype™ to ver123
Hello

I´m waiting to see reviews of the CINERA headset, before I try to purchase them. In my case, the 3D operation is a main objective to accomplish.

Thanks to all that can gives us information about CINERA.
post #11 of 75 Old 04-19-2018, 08:22 AM

My biggest concern when demoing the Cinera was the vignetting of the outer screen edges by the lenses, and the halo effect from bright footage when the lenses were set to their widest setting.

At the time, the Cinera support staff suggested this was a commonly reported issue that would be resolved for the final production models, yet those who have received their Cinera seem to confirm this issue remains unresolved.

Still, the screen quality was remarkable.
post #12 of 75 Old 04-19-2018, 10:14 AM

It’s hard to even know if this company is trustworthy... the constant delays and the strange lack of communication is very worrying. It was an expensive product to back, and they said they were in the production phase when I originally backed them. I have twice messaged them and received no reply. Very poor customer service. I’ve backed many, many products and never had such poor communication, even when products have failed ... the company would keep you informed. Here it’s just empty time-line suggestions. It’s like they don’t know what’s going on anymore than we do.

If they have the units produced, just send them out. Who cares about the head mount thing? I’ve read comments from others that are saying the same thing. Forget the head mount, just send the unit. If we like it, we can always buy another head mount for 50 bucks. But I’d like my cinera before the end of the year!
post #13 of 75 Old 04-19-2018, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukasx123 View Post
My biggest concern when demoing the Cinera was the vignetting of the outer screen edges by the lenses, and the halo effect from bright footage when the lenses were set to their widest setting.

At the time, the Cinera support staff suggested this was a commonly reported issue that would be resolved for the final production models, yet those who have received their Cinera seem to confirm this issue remains unresolved.

Still, the screen quality was remarkable.
Lukas, did you happen to try the cinera with glasses on? I’m concerned that the vignetting may be even worse if one happens to wear glasses, like I do!
post #14 of 75 Old 04-19-2018, 11:00 AM

I have spoken with their customer service representative a lot, and based on that interaction I do trust this company.

There have been delays, and some of the promises have felt hollow in hindsight, but they have maintained decent, regular updates, based on the most accurate estimates they would have had at the time.

I think they are a small team, and it's probably challenging to maintain full communicatuons. I've backed a few other projects and none of them have been any more communicative than the Cinera team.

In fact, if receiving the headset is your utmost priority, they will accept requests for the headset to be posted separately (at your cost) so the delays with the headmount dont affect the timing of receiving the headset any more.

I did not try Cinera with glasses on. Cinera claim to have designed the headset to work with glasses, but I can't confirm whether vignetting would be an issue.
post #15 of 75 Old 04-19-2018, 11:15 AM

Yeah I asked them to just ship the unit and later the headset, but they never replied. I don’t want to pester them, but I did send two emails about two weeks apart and never heard back. It looks like I’m not the only one, either. You are right, they do appear to be a smaller company, but with the delays must come enough free time to reply to the emails the backers have sent. But maybe not. Fingers crossed it eventually arrives.

Thanks for the reply. If you receive yours please let us know your thoughts. I’ll be doing the same!
post #16 of 75 Old 04-19-2018, 11:45 AM

Liked: 1
I`m a backer 2, ordered a Super Early Bird beginning August 2017, and still waiting to get mine. Had about 10 days e mail contact why being on of the first backers, still hadn`t get any info?
The reply that i gett was that my packet was traveling to Europe, and i would get soon the post tracking number when my Cinera was hand over to DHL Europe.... But didn`t get eny info till today...

@ Studio3d: What`s youre exprecience with the 3D played from a BD player, its not in the full 2.5 K from the display, but half pixel resolution? But its shown in real 3D playing a 3D Blu Ray?
I`m specily ordered the Cinera becuase of the new OLED tv`s don`t play 3D anymore those days.

Samsung 65HU8500, SEK 3500ZG, Onkyo 636 with Dolby Atmos set up, Philips BDP8000, Technisat Isio Digit S
post #17 of 75 Old 04-19-2018, 12:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukasx123 View Post
Please can you provide a link to this cheaper product from a bigger company? I'll order one!

Seriously though, mainstream technological change and innovation is often driven by the creativity of these small crowdfunded companies, and the pioneering backers who are prepared to invest in them.

In effect, we must use our wallets to demonstrate to the larger companies that there is a demand and a ready market for these products, and inspire them to act.

If the product is that good other companies will jump on the band wagon. Happened with the oculus rift and the go pro. If this product is any good ans starts gaining traction other companies will follow. Also many projects fail and you just end up losing your money. Rather let someone else risk there money and just pay full price when it comes out.
post #18 of 75 Old 04-19-2018, 02:46 PM

[[email protected] Studio3d: What`s youre exprecience with the 3D played from a BD player, its not in the full 2.5 K from the display, but half pixel resolution? But its shown in real 3D playing a 3D Blu Ray?
I`m specily ordered the Cinera becuase of the new OLED tv`s don`t play 3D anymore those days.[/QUOTE]

If you follow the Kickstarter comments, I found a Panasonic 3D Blu Ray player with an option for side by side out. It's half width, but the Cinera stretches it to full width per eye. So, yes- I'm watching 3D Blu Ray that looks very good, and will only look better when the software is updated for accepting the framepacked hdmi.
Dinand Bultman likes this.

ron labbe
studio3d.com
stereoscopic imaging
SONY 55X850B
post #19 of 75 Old 04-20-2018, 02:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by studio3d View Post
I was lucky and thrilled that I received my CINERA several weeks ago. Mostly I LOVE this unit. I'm only interested in the Stereo3D capability, and it's far better than anything I've seen (like the Sony HMZ-T1 or Phone based viewers). Image quality is spectacular, and it's great to have many options for input as well as full Android capability. I think it's necessary to have a wireless keyboard/trackpad. I'm also looking forward to the software update that will allow 3D Blu-Rays to play (I have a workaround, but it's half-res). It's actually GOOD that there's no focus: set for infinity, so you can hand it to someone and be pretty sure they'll see a sharp image (if they wear glasses for distance). Also, the arm is very heavy-duty and well made. Looking forward to the head mount.

From what I understand, it's often difficult to have full control of the manufacturing process. I was upset that I had to wait 6 months, but am now thrilled that the unit is really as good or better than I imagined. In some ways these initial shipments are a bit of beta testing, as they are really going out before FULLY vetted/tested. Yes, this is sometimes a part of the Kickstarter process. The Cinera team seems to be doing their best to accommodate us, but I can understand why many are angry. Hopefully you'll be as pleased as I am when yours finally arrives (soon I hope!).
Please post a few pics, I am beginning to wonder if it is real or what?

Is it sharp like a 1080p projector? What about focus?
post #20 of 75 Old 04-20-2018, 11:29 AM

Liked: 1
@studio3d : Thanks. And Yes I`m folowing every day the comments on "Kickstarter" and already found the posting about the Pana Player. I`ve a UBD 900 player, and is playing the 3D format right on my older 3D TV.
Now its waiting what image i will have on my, i hope soon getting in, Cinera.
I mail them today again where my Cinera is staying!!

How long took it between you getting your Cinera in, and the recieving of your tracking code?

Samsung 65HU8500, SEK 3500ZG, Onkyo 636 with Dolby Atmos set up, Philips BDP8000, Technisat Isio Digit S
post #21 of 75 Old 04-20-2018, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinand Bultman View Post
@studio3d : Thanks. And Yes I`m folowing every day the comments on "Kickstarter" and already found the posting about the Pana Player. I`ve a UBD 900 player, and is playing the 3D format right on my older 3D TV.
Now its waiting what image i will have on my, i hope soon getting in, Cinera.
I mail them today again where my Cinera is staying!!

How long took it between you getting your Cinera in, and the recieving of your tracking code?
I never got a tracking code... it just showed up, very unexpectedly.

ron labbe
studio3d.com
stereoscopic imaging
SONY 55X850B
post #22 of 75 Old 04-21-2018, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter

I am going to assume CINERA is a scam, there does not appear to be any real products shipped, if I am mistaken please someone with an actual product post some pictures of your CINERA at home and unpacked.

If it is a scam I feal sorry for the backers on kickstarter.

I it is not a scam I will be happy to delete this post.
post #23 of 75 Old 04-21-2018, 04:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
I am going to assume CINERA is a scam, there does not appear to be any real products shipped, if I am mistaken please someone with an actual product post some pictures of your CINERA at home and unpacked.

If it is a scam I feal sorry for the backers on kickstarter.

I it is not a scam I will be happy to delete this post.
Haha, it may be having production difficulties like many Kickstarter and Indiegogo products but it is an actual real product!
I posted my initial thoughts in the other thread you can read here or on kickstarter, I generally really like it, it has issues, primarily the fact that you cannot see the entire huge screen without moving you head around inside the goggles! Also, sound over HDMI occasionally goes out and you need to restart the Cinera. No big deal.
I have owned all three Sony HMZ headsets and they were wonderful but uncomfortable. The arm here is genius.
I paid from $800 to $1000 for each of the Sony headsets so the $399 price for Cinera was a no brainer for me.

You can check the Indigogo board for the competing product Goovis Cinego to see they are not alone.

Here are my pictures to prove that it's not entirely vaporware.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180421_151616.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	730.2 KB
ID:	2393584   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180421_151631.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	1.35 MB
ID:	2393586  
Dinand Bultman likes this.

Robert Clark

Last edited by Robert Clark; 04-21-2018 at 05:10 PM.
post #24 of 75 Old 04-21-2018, 04:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by studio3d View Post
I never got a tracking code... it just showed up, very unexpectedly.
Yeah, same here. I was rather stunned when it the two huge boxes showed up unannounced.

Robert Clark
post #25 of 75 Old 04-21-2018, 05:29 PM

Robert, did you happen to try it with glasses on? I know it can accomodate glasses but I'd love to hear someone's experience first-hand.
post #26 of 75 Old 04-21-2018, 05:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffslayer View Post
Robert, did you happen to try it with glasses on? I know it can accomodate glasses but I'd love to hear someone's experience first-hand.
I do not use glasses but my son tried it with his glasses and said it worked. HOWEVER, part of the problem with Cinera is that I can't quite seem to get my face close enough to see the whole giant screen so this problem may be worse with glasses. Maybe my nose is too big lol.

Robert Clark
post #27 of 75 Old 04-21-2018, 05:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I gotta say, having had major focus issues with all three Sony HMZ models (though each one got better) I was very worried when I discovered that there was no focus wheel, but having used it for a week, focus isn't an issue at all, at least for me. Once you can see most of the whole screen, it's quite sharp. The pixel density is very, very high and very pleasant.

Robert Clark
post #28 of 75 Old 04-21-2018, 05:37 PM

Haha, well hopefully when I receive mine it will be a good experience. I have small glasses but they are pretty much a requirement as my eyes are very poor. I may end up having to get some contact lenses. Thanks for the reply.
post #29 of 75 Old 04-22-2018, 02:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Clark View Post
Haha, it may be having production difficulties like many Kickstarter and Indiegogo products but it is an actual real product!
I posted my initial thoughts in the other thread you can read here or on kickstarter, I generally really like it, it has issues, primarily the fact that you cannot see the entire huge screen without moving you head around inside the goggles! Also, sound over HDMI occasionally goes out and you need to restart the Cinera. No big deal.
I have owned all three Sony HMZ headsets and they were wonderful but uncomfortable. The arm here is genius.
I paid from $800 to $1000 for each of the Sony headsets so the $399 price for Cinera was a no brainer for me.

You can check the Indigogo board for the competing product Goovis Cinego to see they are not alone.

Here are my pictures to prove that it's not entirely vaporware.
Thanks for the pictures and info regarding user experience. Great so they do have a working product and I am looking forward to buying in the near future.
post #30 of 75 Old 04-23-2018, 10:10 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I’m one of the lucky backers who have received a Cinera. Unfortunately my experience hasn’t been that great. I’m an avid watcher of subtitled anime and the headset does not work well for this genre. All four outer edges are blurry and the corners get cut off when viewing. Since subtitles are displayed on the top and bottom edges they become half unreadable and I spent over twice as much time as normal trying to decipher blurry letters. Additionally the so called burden-free arm and the Cinera itself don’t position very well. The burden-free arm ends and a ball joint with a pressure screw, but no real locking mechanism. I tried to angle my viewing so that I could lean back in my lazy boy chair but gravity kept causing the headset to level. I had to awkwardly hold my head in a fixed position and by the end of a 20 minute episode my neck was very stiff and sore. Finally I can’t even center my eyes at the optimal viewing position because my nose digs into the device and my nose is pretty small.
I have not tried the 3D feature yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Virtual Reality (VR) & Augmented Reality (AR)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page