Again?! Why Oculus Why? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 03-20-2019, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Again?! Why Oculus Why?

Oculus is doing it again. They are putting higher resolution into more casual, less immersive mobile headsets. When they launched the Oculus Go they gave it a higher resolution than the Rift which made no sense to me. Why give the headset that CANNOT replace the Rift, due to immersion factor, the higher resolution. Ok, I figured fine, the Go is newer tech than the Rift and made my peace with it. Now they are doing it again with the Oculus Quest and Rift S, and they are coming out at the same time! The Rift S is to replace the regular Rift with all of it's features and immersion and PC power behind it. The Quest is going to replace the Go for mobile VR. Guess which headset they gave the higher resolution to? THE QUEST! Gee, one works with a mobile processor and the other has the power of a beast PC behind it. How does that translate to "I know, let's give the one with the mobile processor more pixels to process and the one with PC behind it and more immersion LESS"! Can someone please explain to me how this possibly makes any sense at all? Who at Oculus is coming to these conclusions? What is wrong with the brains at Oculus that they can't figure out why not give the headset with more features, immersion and power behind it, the higher resolution!

Last edited by blaket81; 03-20-2019 at 12:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-21-2019, 03:33 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Because this isn't a Rift Replacement...it's Rift S, just like an iphone goes to an "S" model, the S is about efficiencies not about new product, my guess is that is what they were trying to imply. This is going to replace the current rift.....its got some upgrades (Cameras looking out), and supposedly the LCD will significantly reduce screen door over the dual-OLED's we have today....but it's not Rift 2.

That's my thinking, anyhow....

OH, and that means Rift2 will drop, probably rather suddenly like Rift S did, with higher rez panels and if I had to guess based on their track record, it would be this time next year. This device will drop to $299 and that will sell for $599 with 4k panels or something......and Oculus will have the high-and-low market plus entry-level with the Quest (I expect the Go to...well...Go).....

Xbox Live / PS3 / Steam: HeadRusch1
Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986

post #3 of 6 Old 03-21-2019, 07:04 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadRusch View Post
OH, and that means Rift2 will drop, probably rather suddenly like Rift S did, with higher rez panels and if I had to guess based on their track record, it would be this time next year.

I don't know. Since it took them 3 years to go from Rift to Rift S, I think expecting Rift 2 next year is probably a little optimistic. But I definitely hope you are right!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 03-22-2019, 06:18 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Just a guess....2021 is probably more realistic, but since they just dropped the Go a year ago....and now already Quest is coming AND now this......they do things quick, so, you know a new release in 2019 could make sense to me. Either way, this is coming....its supposedly an improvement in many ways....we'll find out soon enough.

Xbox Live / PS3 / Steam: HeadRusch1
Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986

post #5 of 6 Old 03-22-2019, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadRusch View Post
Because this isn't a Rift Replacement...it's Rift S, just like an iphone goes to an "S" model, the S is about efficiencies not about new product, my guess is that is what they were trying to imply. This is going to replace the current rift.....its got some upgrades (Cameras looking out), and supposedly the LCD will significantly reduce screen door over the dual-OLED's we have today....but it's not Rift 2.

That's my thinking, anyhow....

OH, and that means Rift2 will drop, probably rather suddenly like Rift S did, with higher rez panels and if I had to guess based on their track record, it would be this time next year. This device will drop to $299 and that will sell for $599 with 4k panels or something......and Oculus will have the high-and-low market plus entry-level with the Quest (I expect the Go to...well...Go).....
I agree with your theory that they are doing it like Apple where this new S model is not like a full Rift 2. The difference is Apple isn't putting better specs in lesser phones at that same time. So it still doesn't explain why they would give an otherwise lesser mobile headset a higher resolution. The Go had better resolution than the original Rift. Rift S only has the resolution of the Go. If Oculus continues this trend the 2 will only have the resolution of the Quest. That is just backwards to me, regardless of whether Oculus has step up models like the S or not. They shouldn't put better specs in the standalone headsets until the technology matures enough so that the standalone headsets are the superior ones. At which point they'll become the only ones anyway. I really hope Rift 2 has a higher res than the Quest, I really do, but this pattern does not support it.
post #6 of 6 Old 03-23-2019, 07:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked: 311
I think the Rift-S is just another way that Oculus/Facebook continues to try to target the more mainstream consumer as opposed to the enthusiast. The headset incorporates inside out tracking, which is a lot more convenient than satellite towers and doesn't need bleeding edge hardware to run acceptably. Setup also appears to be pretty straightforward.

I've been enjoying VR with my PSVR but I really wanted more and have been waiting for the right time to dive into PCVR. As someone who hasn't done any PC gaming since the mid 1990s, the Rift-S is what convinced me to dive back in. The CV1 or Vive were not really an option for me as I didn't want satellite towers around the room; I have zero faith in Microsoft's mixed reality vision (it doesn't help that their own execs keep saying VR is years away from being commerically viable) and I don't want to deal with kludging access to Rift software via something like ReVive.

The Rift-S seems like the compromise I've been looking for: improved resolution, reduced SDE, inside-out tracking, reasonable hardware requirements and access to a large library of VR software. I would have preferred OLED to LCD and the 80hz refresh gave me pause but by all accounts its performance and visuals are still acceptable. I bought a gaming laptop today and will be picking up the Rift-S as soon as it's available.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Virtual Reality (VR) & Augmented Reality (AR)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page