• 1 Post By TonyDP

post #1 of 6 Old 04-30-2019, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1463 Post(s)
Liked: 423
Oculus Quest Owners Thread

Facebook F8 keynote just completed and the Oculus Quest opened for preorders today. It's already up on Amazon and you can get 5% discount as a Prime member.

I preordered the 128GB version as I know I'll use up 64GB fast.

I also have the Rift and the Go that I recently bought to have access to You Tube VR media. I use the Rift to edit VR media on Premiere Pro.

I'm not ready to upgrade the Rift to the Rift S as I don't see any advantage to it right now as my Rift with 3 sensors works great for what I use it for.

I wanted stand alone for the Home Theater games mainly for the grandkids. I'm not really into games but I like to try them for the experience.

BTW- I watched the F8 presentation on Oculus Go and it was an amazing presentation live. Fascinating how the avatars of others attending in VR were all sitting in the audience in avatars.

My 3D and 360VR videos and more
Don Landis HT System: Projector Sony VPL VW665ES Players: Samsung UBD K8500 OPPO BD93 Sony BDP S6200 All Regions Player Denon AVR S940, 7.1 JBL Professional series and Klipsch PS3, XBOX360, Dish VIP722K; 3D Edit Suite:Adobe Premiere, Edius7.53, Vegas Pro v13, Power Director16, i9-7980XE/GTX1080Ti, LG 3D TV DM2752
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-21-2019, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Just got my new Quest set up and working.

I was impressed with the image quality, much better than the Go and really much better than the Rift. Very happy with the purchase. The head band is a little uncomfortable but I may need to adjust it better. I'll keep working on that. The HMD is much heavier to the front so it really needs a better head band.

Setup was awkward as I had to keep switching back and forth between the computer iphone and the Quest on my face. They have you entering codes and and some apps require it too.

I still notice screen door effect but the images are much better for detail than the two prior mentioned Oculus HMD's. Color is much more intense too.

Don Landis HT System: Projector Sony VPL VW665ES Players: Samsung UBD K8500 OPPO BD93 Sony BDP S6200 All Regions Player Denon AVR S940, 7.1 JBL Professional series and Klipsch PS3, XBOX360, Dish VIP722K; 3D Edit Suite:Adobe Premiere, Edius7.53, Vegas Pro v13, Power Director16, i9-7980XE/GTX1080Ti, LG 3D TV DM2752
post #3 of 6 Old 05-23-2019, 05:28 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Landis View Post
I wanted stand alone for the Home Theater games mainly for the grandkids. I'm not really into games but I like to try them for the experience.

I just got my Quest today. If you are not into games, you might want to try 'Wander' (price $10), which is sort of Google Earth VR (lite edition). It has a zoomable map to navigate (or a search command line) and all the street views from Google Maps, but not the 3-d fly around the world stuff. I do like that the map has all the user uploaded 360 photos highlighted as blue dots. In the real Google Earth VR, I sometimes have a hard time finding all the user uploaded photos at a specific location with their current interface.

I was amazed how much better the street view image quality is in the Quest compared to my Vive.

If you get it, I would suggest searching on 'Seville Cathedral'. They have about 100 connected street views inside the cathedral so you can just wander around inside the large building. Amazing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 05-27-2019, 06:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

I need to get a cushion for the Quest. After 30 minutes wearing it, it leaves a dent in my forehead. The Go and the Rift doesn't do that. I think padding to spread the weight around would work. I hope someone will come out with an accessory soon.

post #5 of 6 Old 05-27-2019, 08:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked: 311
Quote:
I need to get a cushion for the Quest. After 30 minutes wearing it, it leaves a dent in my forehead. The Go and the Rift doesn't do that. I think padding to spread the weight around would work. I hope someone will come out with an accessory soon.
I've read VRCover.com already has some Quest accessories for sale. You may want to check them out.
Don Landis likes this.
post #6 of 6 Old 05-27-2019, 02:35 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:

After reading people on the subreddit talking about it, I attached the 10,000 mA-hr powerbank that came with my Vive wireless adapter to the lower back strap with a couple of velcro straps this afternoon as a counter-weight. It does seem to reduce the forces on my face, particularly the cheeks. I don't even notice the powerbank while I'm using the headset.

For myself, I don't really need the extra battery capacity, as I've never used the Quest for more than one hour at a time, but it would be handy to have the extra battery life, if I'm demoing it to people. If I start with a full charge on the Quest, I can play for an hour and the battery still reads 100% and the external battery is still showing four bars. I would guess between the internal and external batteries I can probably now go 7-8 hours before it would need recharging.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Virtual Reality (VR) & Augmented Reality (AR)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page