What's the best upcoming hardware, to you VR vets? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 06-28-2019, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter
Yrd
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked: 519
What's the best upcoming hardware, to you VR vets?

Just as the title hopefully conveys. I'm looking for you guys that have some experience with headsets to chime in. What is the best looking hardware coming out? Why you guys think one, or a certain feature, might be more advantageous than another. I just saw Valve Index ad on steam, so it piqued my interest. I don't really follow any VR news. I am aware that there are several coming soon with slightly better screens by all the makers.

I'm interested in the best quality PC hardware, btw. None of the budget headsets.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-28-2019, 10:45 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Depends on what you must have. While there may be some company that makes a better image quality, wider FOV, higher resolution, etc. Also to consider is the support structure like the number of games and media available. Comfort is another consideration.

I can't believe I have 5 HMD's here. Two are old and headed to the trash. But the other 3 are current and all Oculus because they each do something special I need that the other two don't do.

Go- low cost and great for media. Not so good for games. Image quality is very good and freedom from the PC.
Rift-Necessary for editing VR on my PC, also has the most games and the image quality is quite good.
Quest- Best image quality and like the Go has freedom from a PC. I can use anywhere. Biggest negative is it is not comfortable compared to all my other HMD's .

My 3D and 360VR videos and more
Don Landis HT System: Projector Sony VPL VW665ES Players: Samsung UBD K8500 OPPO BD93 Sony BDP S6200 All Regions Player Denon AVR S940, 7.1 JBL Professional series and Klipsch PS3, XBOX360, Dish VIP722K; 3D Edit Suite:Adobe Premiere, Edius7.53, Vegas Pro v13, Power Director16, i9-7980XE/GTX1080Ti, LG 3D TV DM2752
post #3 of 8 Old 07-04-2019, 02:47 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 450 Post(s)
Liked: 293
They all have pros and cons, so the best depends on your preferences and specific needs. I'm intrigued by the Index, particularly for it's audio solution, but I still can't get away from my Vive Pro...after experiencing a solid wireless solution with enthusiast level performance I can never go back to a tethered HMD. If/when they come up with a workable wireless adapter for the Index I may reevaluate, but for now it is what it is.

82Q90R / Denon X6400H / Polk Audio LSI 7.1.4 / Nvidia Shield / Panasonic DP-UB820 4K BluRay / Xbox One X / PS4 Pro / Nintendo Switch / Custom Gaming PC / Custom VR PC / HTC Vive Pro HMD (Wireless)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 07-04-2019, 03:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked: 311
Each has its pluses and minuses.

Rift S has the convenience of inside out tracking, good resolution, an RGB stripe display for minimal SDE, reasonable hardware requirements and is very easy to set up. The LCD screen means colors won't be as vibrant and black levels won't be as deep. The software based IPD means people outside the average range may not find it comfortable and the speakers built into the headset are OK at best. At $399 it's a relatively inexpensive entry into PC VR.

The Index has nice resolution and the potential for great refresh rates but you need a beast of a computer to get the most out of it and must deal with external sensors. The sound system is excellent and it has mechanical IPD adjustment so it should be comfortable for a wider audience. FOV can be very good but only if you push the lenses right up to your eyeballs, which people with glasses cannot do. The LCD panels mean it also has slightly compromised colors and by all accounts the black levels are the same or worse than the Rift S. The headset also apparently has pretty bad god rays / glare (comparable to first gen headsets) and gets quite hot on the forehead after about 40 minutes of use. And of course, the entire kit costs $1,000.

Vive Pro has a lot of the same advantages as the Index at about the same pricepoint including tracking stations though I've read it's not the most comfortable headset and appears to be aimed more at commercial uses than for the home market.

The HP Reverb has the highest resolution yet (two LCDs at 2160x2160 each) but suffers from relatively high mura and there have been complaints of reds smearing inside the headset. It's also a Windows MR headset and, quite frankly, Microsoft seems to have zero interest in supporting consumer level VR and their 2 camera system seems outdated compared to what Oculus is doing with inside-out tracking. The headset is also being pushed more as an enterprise device than a consumer product.

The original Rift CV1 is no longer being made and I suspect the original Vive will suffer the same fate once HTC releases its Cosmos headset. Both also suffer from lower resolutions, SDE, god rays and the need for external sensors.

In the end, I got a Rift S and have been using it for about a month. Personally, I think it's the best compromise of price, performance and ease of setup and use. The PC hardware requirements are also reasonable meaning you don't have to break the bank on a PC for it. I have it paired with an Alienware 17 R5 with 8th gen processor, 16GB of RAM and a Nvidia GTX1070 and it has handled everything I've thrown at it so far.

Last edited by TonyDP; 07-04-2019 at 06:40 PM.
post #5 of 8 Old 07-19-2019, 06:25 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Tiny- Nice review!

Where can one try out these HMD's? I know our Best Buy has the Oculus Go on demo but nothing else. I've had to decide on reviews.

Don Landis HT System: Projector Sony VPL VW665ES Players: Samsung UBD K8500 OPPO BD93 Sony BDP S6200 All Regions Player Denon AVR S940, 7.1 JBL Professional series and Klipsch PS3, XBOX360, Dish VIP722K; 3D Edit Suite:Adobe Premiere, Edius7.53, Vegas Pro v13, Power Director16, i9-7980XE/GTX1080Ti, LG 3D TV DM2752
post #6 of 8 Old 07-20-2019, 04:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Landis View Post
Tiny- Nice review!

Where can one try out these HMD's? I know our Best Buy has the Oculus Go on demo but nothing else. I've had to decide on reviews.
Tiny?

I own a PSVR, Rift S and, as of last week, a Quest. I had to blind buy every one of them as I could not find a place to demo any of them.

I have read that the Rift S was being demo'd at certain Microsoft stores. The larger Best Buys are supposed to have demo kiosks as well. I've never seen one but you may want to give any in your area a call.

Beyond that, I just made sure to get my hardware from stores with reasonable return policies which, luckily, I have not had to take advantage of.
post #7 of 8 Old 07-20-2019, 10:50 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

I want to try an HTC Vive Pro somewhere to compare to the Quest. Best Buy was supposed to have one on demo but I went there and nothing.

post #8 of 8 Old Yesterday, 06:53 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quite honestly, I'm holding out for the StarVR One from Acer. All indications are that it's still in development and could see a release sometime late this year or early 2020. Will probably be expensive (around $3000 maybe) but with an insane FOV of 210º and high quality lenses, it's the headset worth waiting for IMHO. Either that, or the XTAL Consumer version from VR Engineers, which should see a release sometime late next year.

Watch films in either of these headsets should be a breathtaking experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Virtual Reality (VR) & Augmented Reality (AR)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page