What is the recommended Software and Hardware for VR Technology? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 09-03-2019, 05:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
What is the recommended Software and Hardware for VR Technology?

May someone guide me to what is the recommended software and hardware to use for VR technology?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-03-2019, 07:13 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Most folks go for as much GPU as you can throw at it, since VR is the most demanding game style you can run, it's harder to run than 4k/60 generally, so more is better on the hardware side of things.

The best hardware you can buy right now for VR Gaming belongs to the Valve Index, but its a hit at $999 for a complete setup. If that is too rich for your blood, consider a new Oculus Rift S at $400 complete, or a used HTC Vive or Oculus Rift (original) setup off Ebay if you can find them in the $250 or $300 range.

There are other VR headsets out there from HP, Samsung I think, maybe others.....some have higher resolution panels but iffy control performance from the hand-controllers, some have odd setups, some just don't work right with the software out there today (that kind of looks for either Oculus or Valve controller setups and so forth), I can't speak as much to those, YouTube will probably answer those questions for you.

Xbox Live / PS3 / Steam: HeadRusch1
Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986

post #3 of 9 Old 09-03-2019, 07:17 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1476 Post(s)
Liked: 433
Depends on what you need to do in VR.

To just watch VR, I would recommend the Oculus Quest as it is self contained high quality and low cost. Even cheaper is the Oculus GO but this can't do as many games because it only uses a single controller.

To create VR productions, you will need a good VR camera, a strong Gaming computer with the latest CPU and graphics card, plus a wired HMD like the Oculus Rift to verify your editing. The software that can best edit VR today is Adobe Premiere Pro. There are others but they all lack some necessary features for a good production.

To produce VR games that are interactive, will require even more and that is outside my knowledge base. I'm sure a good start in gaming production will require a 7 figure budget. Best left to the big corporations.

My 3D and 360VR videos and more
Don Landis HT System: Projector Sony VPL VW665ES Players: Samsung UBD K8500 OPPO BD93 Sony BDP S6200 All Regions Player Denon AVR S940, 7.1 JBL Professional series and Klipsch PS3, XBOX360, Dish VIP722K; 3D Edit Suite:Adobe Premiere, Edius7.53, Vegas Pro v13, Power Director16, i9-7980XE/GTX1080Ti, LG 3D TV DM2752
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 09-03-2019, 08:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Landis View Post
To create VR productions, you will need a good VR camera, a strong Gaming computer with the latest CPU and graphics card, plus a wired HMD like the Oculus Rift to verify your editing. The software that can best edit VR today is Adobe Premiere Pro. There are others but they all lack some necessary features for a good production..
To create a VR production, do you know what is the best programming language to use?
post #5 of 9 Old 09-03-2019, 09:22 PM - Thread Starter

From my understanding you would require the latest CPU and graphics card to run a VR environment, while for the HMD it depends on how much you want to spend on that device, is that correct?
post #6 of 9 Old 09-05-2019, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by athan007 View Post
From my understanding you would require the latest CPU and graphics card to run a VR environment, while for the HMD it depends on how much you want to spend on that device, is that correct?
In a nutshell, yes. It would require a modern (within the past 5 years let's say as a generality) CPU running 4 or more cores at 3+ Ghz speed (more is better), and you'd want a GPU made in the past 5 years as well. If you had to go shopping and buy something new today, an RTX 2060 is probably where you want to start, with an RTX 2070 or 2080 being "even better".
If you shop used, a GTX 970 is probably the minimum GPU I'd recommend for a modern VR experience.

If you decide to go with a Valve Index you're going to want to stick with one of the higher-end modern GPU's (GTX 1080 Ti or one of the newer RTX cards) because that device has much higher screen resolution than the Vive or Oculus Rift have, and higher resolution screens require more GPU power to maintain the 80 or 90Hz necessary to maintain the fluid illusion of a VR world inside the HMD.

Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986

post #7 of 9 Old 09-05-2019, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadRusch View Post
In a nutshell, yes. It would require a modern (within the past 5 years let's say as a generality) CPU running 4 or more cores at 3+ Ghz speed (more is better), and you'd want a GPU made in the past 5 years as well. If you had to go shopping and buy something new today, an RTX 2060 is probably where you want to start, with an RTX 2070 or 2080 being "even better".
If you shop used, a GTX 970 is probably the minimum GPU I'd recommend for a modern VR experience.

If you decide to go with a Valve Index you're going to want to stick with one of the higher-end modern GPU's (GTX 1080 Ti or one of the newer RTX cards) because that device has much higher screen resolution than the Vive or Oculus Rift have, and higher resolution screens require more GPU power to maintain the 80 or 90Hz necessary to maintain the fluid illusion of a VR world inside the HMD.
HeadRusch thank you for clarifying and your help
post #8 of 9 Old 09-06-2019, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by athan007 View Post
HeadRusch thank you for clarifying and your help
Most Welcome. If I may recommend you spend a little bit of time on YouTube, Virtual Reality Oasis is a channel run by a guy who delivers a lot of good VR information.

post #9 of 9 Old 09-07-2019, 02:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadRusch View Post
Most Welcome. If I may recommend you spend a little bit of time on YouTube, Virtual Reality Oasis is a channel run by a guy who delivers a lot of good VR information.
That's good to hear. I will do that, thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Virtual Reality (VR) & Augmented Reality (AR)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page