Coronavirus & Economics: Effect on Our Home Theater & Audio Hobbies? - Page 10 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 674Likes

post #271 of 577 Old 03-25-2020, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1869 Post(s)
Liked: 1116
Maybe a bit hyperbolic, but look what it is doing, I hope not more permanently, to our "free" society here in the US. If we end up in a prolonged depression anything like the 1930s that will be really bad and especially for the lives of our children and grandchildren. In that sense I don't think I'm being hyperbolic. The other viruses you mention never had such potential as Covic-19.

Here's a good article discussing reopening of the economy and how regardless of what the President says, its really up to the Governors on a state by state basis. The President/Federal government/CDC can give guidance - but the States have the power for the most part (and the responsibility - I'm a diehard Spider-Man fan ever since I bought Amazing Fantasty 15 and Spider-Man 1 when I was like 8 or 9 years old)!

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...cid=spartandhp
skylarlove1999 likes this.

Pray for all of our healthcare providers who are doing their best at great risk to help us survive the current Covid-19 virus crisis.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 577 Old 03-25-2020, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
In the FWIW category, I would have probably fallen into the "stupid" group when I was in college. I would like to think that I would have not done what these kids did given the seriousness of the disease was already noted.

But I agree with Steve. The "blame game" is (in our case) a waste of electrons - for now. After the fact, however, I do think it would be wise for the "powers that be" to examine all of the things that could have been done differently to better manage this kind of situation. As one of the articles Steve posted noted, we may have to repeat social isolation multiple times to get our arms around this disease.
Unfortunately, many of us have become accustomed to "blaming" rather than looking inwards for what we can do better. I did that as well for much of my life but in past years I have tried to move away from the "blame" game.

Politicians will "blame" anyone but themselves and never accept responsibility - but are they any different than us? The media do more than their fair share of blaming.

And now we are in a Covid-19 dilemma and frankly, its time to stop the "blaming" and get on with dealing with it. And yes, it is wise for the "powers that be", both Democrats and Republicans and any Independents, to examine all of the things that could have been done differently to better manage this type of situation. And this goes for the "powers that be" all around our world!
skylarlove1999 and Archibald1 like this.

Pray for all of our healthcare providers who are doing their best at great risk to help us survive the current Covid-19 virus crisis.
post #273 of 577 Old 03-25-2020, 10:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked: 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by LHenton View Post
I plan on hoarding every spare penny that I can for many years. This is 1929 combined with 1918 and 1919 flu.
This is not like 1929.

In 1929, the economy was in freefall for years. (Stock Market didn't bottom out until 1932.) In 1929 President Hoover had no idea what to do, since all of the money was either vanishing or being hoarded. It took FDR to realize that, in a crisis situation, you have to create money out of thin air to get things moving again.

But this time, unlike 1929, it won't take three years to create money -- it's happening as we speak:

Scott Pelley: Can you characterize everything that the Fed has done this past week as essentially flooding the system with money?

Neel Kashkari: Yes. Exactly.

Scott Pelley: And there's no end to your ability to do that?

Neel Kashkari: There is no end to our ability to do that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #274 of 577 Old 03-25-2020, 11:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimeTime View Post
This is not like 1929.

In 1929, the economy was in freefall for years. (Stock Market didn't bottom out until 1932.) In 1929 President Hoover had no idea what to do, since all of the money was either vanishing or being hoarded. It took FDR to realize that, in a crisis situation, you have to create money out of thin air to get things moving again.

But this time, unlike 1929, it won't take three years to create money -- it's happening as we speak:

Scott Pelley: Can you characterize everything that the Fed has done this past week as essentially flooding the system with money?

Neel Kashkari: Yes. Exactly.

Scott Pelley: And there's no end to your ability to do that?

Neel Kashkari: There is no end to our ability to do that.
It may not be 1929. But can the US end up just as bad or worse - like combining the Spanish Flu illness and deaths of 1918-1919 and the Great Depression of the 1930's into one. And no end to printing money - I'm no economist, but how long can you do this before severe inflation sets in?

Last edited by Steve Bruzonsky; 03-26-2020 at 10:40 AM.
post #275 of 577 Old 03-26-2020, 12:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 4446 Post(s)
Liked: 3890
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManMower View Post
This is a really cool thread, and provides a sense of community in a time when communities are being divided and isolated, but to declare Covid-19 to be some new terror the likes of which humanity has never seen before is perhaps a bit hyperbolic. Much of the news these days seems to be dedicated to explaining how scared we're supposed to be.

Smallpox has killed hundreds of millions of people.
HIV has killed tens of millions of people.

We don't have enough data yet to know with any certainty if Covid-19 is that bad, but those are big shoes to fill.

Smoking kills hundreds of thousands of people every year, and it's something we do to ourselves intentionally.
Over 1 million people die in traffic accidents every year, and we still drive cars.

Humanity is going to walk this one off.

When the lockdowns lift, the vast majority of us will come out of our light controlled bat caves and see the sun again. Keep calm, stay off the beach, minimize risk. Wait it out, and your odds are really good.

As to the impact on our home theater hobby, I predict an increase in soundbar sales through online retailers.
And this is at least a partial summation of my sentiment right here. Staying couped up indoors hysterically for months on end will end the life of me and the elderly parent for whom I am the caregiver just as easily as the virus itself possibly could. The media-fueled hysteria has people in here wanting to enforce mass incarceration in what could only be described as FEMA death camps, and it just so happens this pandemic is a convenient tool for demanding the govt. sacrifice more liberties in the name of safety. It's obviously a balancing act, but let's try to keep the totalitarian edicts to a minimum (releasing criminals, closing businesses, and neutering law enforcement is a nice trio of actions to take if you're trying to employ the Hegelian dialect...). Question everything coming from corporate "news." Independent journalism (on the ground reporting) is the most reliable barometer of the truth as far as I'm concerned.
sgibson, jsgrise and Archibald1 like this.
post #276 of 577 Old 03-26-2020, 05:39 AM

Mentioned: 121 Post(s)
Quoted: 5506 Post(s)
Liked: 4595
Quote:
Originally Posted by video_analysis View Post
Independent journalism (on the ground reporting) is the most reliable barometer of the truth as far as I'm concerned.

Depending on the delivery mechanism to your eyes and ears, maybe.
Art Sonneborn and sgibson like this.
post #277 of 577 Old 03-26-2020, 06:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Quote:
Depending on the delivery mechanism to your eyes and ears, maybe.
like our computers...*wish we could reboot this 2020 virus back to 2019(or whatever year you wish!)

*facebook comment to our daughter from one of her comedic friends

Hope we can get through this damn pandemic. Best wishes and good health to all!!!
post #278 of 577 Old 03-26-2020, 01:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1219 Post(s)
Liked: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylarlove1999 View Post
Totally agree with that point. Some people just like to watch the world burn others like you try to make it a better place. Thank you for all your contributions to this thread and for starting this thread

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Is it OK to like it from both ends? I'm a terrible person, lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post
*snip*
Bottom line: What is happening now is also a time for reflection, and changes. What I'd like to really see if folks being more caring, nicer to each other, and more respectful of our differences and even different political opinions. Though I have my doubts that the latter will happen. But at least on this forum its nice to see that for the 99% part we are all working to get along.
By "get along" do you mean "try to understand irrational thought", because I will never be able to "get along" with that. And, I don't think it helps the world become a better place, either. So, I can't, "just get along", I need to do my best to inform people of fact. To do my best to let my biases be known so you can see them clearly and adjust how you see what I say through the right lens. I'm an open book...more people should be. Love me or hate me, I'm going to tell you you're full of it when I think you're full of it. Better, if you're not, and you're capable of rationally debating me, then, guess what, more often than not, I am malleable. Intelligence wins all the time in my book; thoughts and situations and information changes...regularly! Intelligence is the ability to adapt your thought process to that new information. I "get along" with intelligence -- I shove aside anything else because it's not worth my time. I try my best to figure out if the other side is really "stupid" or just feigning stupidity to further their agenda, but...to be honest, I think they are about the same.

There was a good quote on someone's signature -- I think Toole was the person to which it was attributed...something about science re-checking the theory when data doesn't align and religion questioning the data. We need raw data, with the most variables assigned with values as possible! ALWAYS! The world runs on logic and reason...on pure emotion and religion it falls apart! That's why AI is such a huge thing...and why tons of companies are using you as their product to collect information and train AI engines (on your backs, for free, without giving you "much" for the...service). But, I don't understand "emotion" the same; I process data, the more the better, and anyone who can clearly give me data (without the BS agenda around it) gets my ear. I don't have to agree on how they weigh the data, but one can be damn sure I'll incorporate the data! I can't "get along" with anyone who is, in my view, incapable of that; they are merely my...entertainment. I suppose I am capable of being kind to those that entertain me...but I'll never really be able to trust anything they say. Worse, it seems I can never convince them to behave like I am capable...possibly because they are just incapable. Regardless, we need more of "me" and less of "them" in times like this; good data analysis wins out. One can gamble on emotion if they must, I'll pass. Emotion makes the world interesting, but it doesn't make it run! Emotion makes great art, and I love great art, it entertains me a lot, and all those artists, I love them...but, I wouldn't let many disseminate data to me and especially not if my life depends on it. The news runs on emotion lately, well, has been for a long time, emotion and agenda. I can't "get along" with that! I can't "get along" with anyone who just shoves that out into the world without putting a thought into it...they are reacting on emotion alone -- that's not me, never has been, never will be, and in a situation like this, people like ME solve the problem more often than people that run on emotion alone!

Finally, I am so sick and tired of having to "get along" as if everyone's "opinion" is equal! It's NOT! VERY MUCH NOT! And in times like this, even my opinion is "useless". But, I'm not dumb enough to think I have "all the data". Despite that, I do try to collect and analyze as much as I can so I can make appropriate decisions for me and my family. But, I also (believe it or not) do try to make decisions even if they'd negatively impact me; decisions that are globally optimized! Maybe this is because I don't value myself above others...I think I'm am smarter (probably much smarter) than most...and I think that'd bear out as fact if given standard tests, indeed I know it would because I know where I am on the bell-curve for most those tests. I don't know if that matters, though! Plenty of people less smart than me have created and done things I love! However, that, IMO, does not mean I need to listen to a single bloody "factual" thing they think they are saying. It certainly doesn't mean we need to "get along" when they put stupidity into the world instead of intelligent analysis of a situation; even if it's one I disagree with, at least make it an intelligent analysis based on more than what was read from a single agenda-driven (if even by their ratings alone) news source.

Sorry for the rant...I'm really not a terrible person. I'm just afflicted with too much thought, lol.
humbug2 likes this.
post #279 of 577 Old 03-26-2020, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter

Dreamwarrior I hope you feel better for your ramble and demonstrated superiority without even giving any info on the current crisis or frankly showing any care or concern. I hope the alcohol or whatever your taking is working for you! 😍😁😍
Ratman, Craig Peer and aravenel like this.

post #280 of 577 Old 03-26-2020, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWarrior View Post
I think I'm am smarter (probably much smarter) than most.
It is really nice to be in the company of such incredibly smart (and humble) people. May be the most incredible post I have read in the 19 years I have been on AVS. This is a good day!!

aravenel and Bnaan like this.
post #281 of 577 Old 03-26-2020, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter

At a recent White House press conference, Coronavirus Task Force response coordinator Deborah Birx said that mortality in men was twice as much as in females in every age group. In China, two-thirds of the hospital patients were male. Seventy percent of fatalities in Italy were male.

https://unitedwithisrael.org/israeli...0sfDYUdm_q6WhQ

post #282 of 577 Old 03-26-2020, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
It is really nice to be in the company of such incredibly smart (and humble) people. May be the most incredible post I have read in the 19 years I have been on AVS. This is a good day!!

Chuck, I certainly have enjoyed making "friends" with you here on AVS Forum. You know a lot about our home theater and audio hobby yet you never come across as all knowing or pugnacious.
When I was much younger in too many ways I acted like a "know it all" and it never got me anywhere. Over the years I learned to tone down and try to be humble. Frankly, it seems that the older I get, I figure out that although I am learning it seems the less I know.

post #283 of 577 Old 03-26-2020, 05:43 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan View Post
Unfortunately, I don't think it will take long until the US will pass China.
Damn, that didn't take too long.

What's even more worrying right now is the time frame. Incubation period is somewhere between 2 and 14 days, with rare cases of up to 27 days. So it should be about another two weeks before we hopefully see the spread slowing down.
The Bogg likes this.

- Stephan
post #284 of 577 Old 03-26-2020, 06:12 PM

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 112
BiggAW, jsgrise, The Bogg and 2 others like this.

Cable Channel Choice is the only choice I want to make !!
post #285 of 577 Old 03-26-2020, 06:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2374 Post(s)
Liked: 3311
Uninterrupted half hour interview with Bill Gates tonight on CNN.
post #286 of 577 Old 03-26-2020, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by See The Light View Post
We all need a good laugh. As an audiophile, I can laugh at myself. I actually saw this one on Facebook yesterday!
BiggAW likes this.

post #287 of 577 Old 03-27-2020, 02:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 142 Post(s)
Quoted: 6183 Post(s)
Liked: 4232
Quote:
Wow... and there's the answer to why the whole world thinks the US is a country full of idiots. Where's the police and military? Each and every one of them should be arrested, throw them in a football stadium and lock them up until this whole thing is over. When it is, fine them each $50k to $100k and another 10 years in prison. I'm somewhere between speechless and beyond angry right now.
Yea, I agree. I actually think each person out there without care needs some sort of stamp on their name, ID or something so that when they get sick, they are last in line for ventilator.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" ST130 G4 screen in batcave, htpc nvidia 1080ti madVR.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, Infinite Baffle Subs 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 2x12 fi audio mounted in main chair firing into back.
post #288 of 577 Old 03-27-2020, 05:01 AM

Quoted: 1429 Post(s)
Liked: 2014
Quote:
Frankly, it seems that the older I get, I figure out that although I am learning it seems the less I know.
So true, one of life's hard lessons.

Art
wlhungdude and skylarlove1999 like this.
post #289 of 577 Old 03-27-2020, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter

COVID-19: Do My Daughter Alisa and I Have It? My bet is 50-50!

I had a 3 week cold, bit of sore throat, last sometime last half of January 2020 for 3 weeks. I had a routine follow up and lab work with my Honor Health Family Dr Berkowitz Feb 12 and by that time I was totally over it and exercising (stretching and 45 minute treadmill) 4 days in a row. Then within a few days thereafter I felt the cold whatever it is coming on again. But this time its been somewhat worse and lasting, still have it!

Often I would feel warm but haven't had a temperature. Some nasal congestion but not much worse than normal (I have allergic rhinitis) and I have been able to sleep normally wearing my CPAP. Throat somewhat sore but not like strip throat and persistent cough all this time. And feel a bit run down but not terribly so. This is the darn longest cold/sore throat/flu/whatever I have ever had by a longshot!
Alisa's symptom history is similar but add some other related issues.

I have great medical advise in family thanks to my first cousin Miriam (a Health Care Advocate) and her son Ethan (Assistant Professor Chicago Loyola Medical School doing Covid-19 testing the past few weeks) and her son-in-law Erik (Hospitalist, Co-Medical Director for Honor Health here in Phoenix area).

I understand that our symptoms simply are not severe enough to warrant hospitalization or even Covid-19 testing under current CDC Guidelines being practiced by Honor Health and Banner Health which are doing some limited Covid-19 testing locally. One question they ask is whether you have been in contact with anyone travelling here from overseas or anyone who has been confirmed to have Covid-19.
However, late yesterday afternoon I just became informed of something leading me to suspect its probably 50-50 that Alisa and I may well have Covid-19. Note we have been in quarantine essentially for the past 2 weeks anyway! Other than a week from last Monday getting groceries at Fry's at 6AM and Target at 8AM, we are now having all groceries, etc delivered and for the past two weeks and on we are staying away from everyone including my other daughter Adria, her husband Patrick, and even worse we can't see my 17 month old grandson Cade (hardest part of everything)!

So what information late yesterday afternoon is so startling that I suspect its 50-50 that we have Covid-19?

My dedicated audiophile home theater has been down since August of last year with significant remodeling and upgrading. My installer is a friend of many years, Gerry. I remember that back when I met with Gerry sometime the last week January he had been in LA to the North American Audio Show mid-January for a few days. Then mid-February I hadn't talked to or seen Gerry in a few weeks and found out he was out of commission, flat on his back, Urgent Care having Dx walking pneumonia, but was feeling better and we got together to go over some stuff about mid-February. Not long after my 2nd bout with this cold/sore throat/etc started and continues.

So late afternoon yesterday I talked with Gerry. I had not seen him since around mid-February. I asked him how he was feeling. He said he is much better, doesn't have much energy, is tired by early afternoon, but in response to my questioning he stated that he only went once to Urgent Care and that was because a few nights while trying to sleep he had extreme chest pain and difficulty breathing and was wondering if he was going to survive! Then somehow it came up that in mid-January Gerry and a friend attended the pro audio show in LA for several days which was packed with folks from all around the globe. Suddenly my brain clicked - Gerry, Alisa and I could have Covid-19 and still be recovering, per CDC Guidelines, stay home, drink lots of fluids and good meals, etc. and stay away from everyone! Alisa and I DO NOT want to go the Urgent Care, ER or Doctor's Office, for if we don't have Covid-19, we could well more easily catch it - and if we have it, we don't want to add more risk to healthcare providers to catch it!

I already have the phone #, opened this week, for Banner Health Covid-19 testing (844-549-1851). My understanding is the hotline will prequalify you, can make you an appointment for drive through testing, but when you show up you will be screened to finally determine if you qualify. I called them first thing today (Friday) morning, and was advised that they are out of tests, to call back in afternoon in case they receive more tests. However, I already know we won't qualify even if the hotline makes us a testing appointment for the reason discussed below.

I next called my Honor Health Family Dr, and I have an appointment to talk by phone with my Dr for 8:20 AM this following Monday (in 3 days). I was also given the # for Honor Health Nurseline (480-587-6200), as they also can answer questions and screen for Covid-19 testing. So I next called the Honor Health Nurseline. I was informed that per CDC Guidelines, my cough/sore throat and exposure to someone who may have been exposed to Covid-19 at the pro audio show doesn't qualify me for testing; but if Gerry gets tested (I have given him the info and he is working on it) and comes out positive then I will qualify for testing.

And you can bet the situation will be the same even if the Banner Hotline sets us up for testing, that once we get there they will further screen and turn us away. And I understand, there are only so many tests available and testing has to be prioritized.

So that's where we are at now. We will continue to do what we are doing to get over whatever the heck we have. We will continue to self-quarantine! In the past few days both Alisa and I are starting to feel somewhat better in terms of stamina and cough, though we still have the cough; and we continue to support and help each other, eat healthy foods, and be positive. There is light at the end of tunnel whatever we have.

And of course my home theater installer workwise is closed down right now considering Covid-19. Plus by early afternoon he gets pretty tired. I told him don't worry about me, get fully well, and get tested for Covid-19 ASAP and let me know the results. Of course, all the test tells you is if you have or had it - for us nonhospital cases, treatment is the same, stay home and quarantine! But he is now submitting the plans to Quest Acoustical Interiors so they can come up with their acoustical treatment recommendation and pricing so we can at least place the order and get the ball going.

post #290 of 577 Old 03-27-2020, 10:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1708 Post(s)
Liked: 1435
Quote:
COVID-19: Do My Daughter Alisa and I Have It? My bet is 50-50!

I had a 3 week cold, bit of sore throat, last sometime last half of January 2020 for 3 weeks. I had a routine follow up and lab work with my Honor Health Family Dr Berkowitz Feb 12 and by that time I was totally over it and exercising (stretching and 45 minute treadmill) 4 days in a row. Then within a few days thereafter I felt the cold whatever it is coming on again. But this time its been somewhat worse and lasting, still have it!

Often I would feel warm but haven't had a temperature. Some nasal congestion but not much worse than normal (I have allergic rhinitis) and I have been able to sleep normally wearing my CPAP. Throat somewhat sore but not like strip throat and persistent cough all this time. And feel a bit run down but not terribly so. This is the darn longest cold/sore throat/flu/whatever I have ever had by a longshot!

Alisa's symptom history is similar but add some other related issues.

I have great medical advise in family thanks to my first cousin Miriam (a Health Care Advocate) and her son Ethan (Assistant Professor Chicago Loyola Medical School doing Covid-19 testing the past few weeks) and her son-in-law Erik (Hospitalist, Co-Medical Director for Honor Health here in Phoenix area).

I understand that our symptoms simply are not severe enough to warrant hospitalization or even Covid-19 testing under current CDC Guidelines being practiced by Honor Health and Banner Health which are doing some limited Covid-19 testing locally. One question they ask is whether you have been in contact with anyone travelling here from overseas or anyone who has been confirmed to have Covid-19.

However, late yesterday afternoon I just became informed of something leading me to suspect its probably 50-50 that Alisa and I may well have Covid-19. Note we have been in quarantine essentially for the past 2 weeks anyway! Other than a week from last Monday getting groceries at Fry's at 6AM and Target at 8AM, we are now having all groceries, etc delivered and for the past two weeks and on we are staying away from everyone including my other daughter Adria, her husband Patrick, and even worse we can't see my 17 month old grandson Cade (hardest part of everything)!

So what information late yesterday afternoon is so startling that I suspect its 50-50 that we have Covid-19?

My dedicated audiophile home theater has been down since August of last year with significant remodeling and upgrading. My installer is a friend of many years, Gerry. I remember that back when I met with Gerry sometime the last week January he had been in LA to the North American Audio Show mid-January for a few days. Then mid-February I hadn't talked to or seen Gerry in a few weeks and found out he was out of commission, flat on his back, Urgent Care having Dx walking pneumonia, but was feeling better and we got together to go over some stuff about mid-February. Not long after my 2nd bout with this cold/sore throat/etc started and continues.

So late afternoon yesterday I talked with Gerry. I had not seen him since around mid-February. I asked him how he was feeling. He said he is much better, doesn't have much energy, is tired by early afternoon, but in response to my questioning he stated that he only went once to Urgent Care and that was because a few nights while trying to sleep he had extreme chest pain and difficulty breathing and was wondering if he was going to survive! Then somehow it came up that in mid-January Gerry and a friend attended the pro audio show in LA for several days which was packed with folks from all around the globe. Suddenly my brain clicked - Gerry, Alisa and I could have Covid-19 and still be recovering, per CDC Guidelines, stay home, drink lots of fluids and good meals, etc. and stay away from everyone! Alisa and I DO NOT want to go the Urgent Care, ER or Doctor's Office, for if we don't have Covid-19, we could well more easily catch it - and if we have it, we don't want to add more risk to healthcare providers to catch it!

I already have the phone #, opened this week, for Banner Health Covid-19 testing (844-549-1851). My understanding is the hotline will prequalify you, can make you an appointment for drive through testing, but when you show up you will be screened to finally determine if you qualify. I called them first thing today (Friday) morning, and was advised that they are out of tests, to call back in afternoon in case they receive more tests. However, I already know we won't qualify even if the hotline makes us a testing appointment for the reason discussed below.

I next called my Honor Health Family Dr, and I have an appointment to talk by phone with my Dr for 8:20 AM this following Monday (in 3 days). I was also given the # for Honor Health Nurseline (480-587-6200), as they also can answer questions and screen for Covid-19 testing. So I next called the Honor Health Nurseline. I was informed that per CDC Guidelines, my cough/sore throat and exposure to someone who may have been exposed to Covid-19 at the pro audio show doesn't qualify me for testing; but if Gerry gets tested (I have given him the info and he is working on it) and comes out positive then I will qualify for testing.

And you can bet the situation will be the same even if the Banner Hotline sets us up for testing, that once we get there they will further screen and turn us away. And I understand, there are only so many tests available and testing has to be prioritized.

So that's where we are at now. We will continue to do what we are doing to get over whatever the heck we have. We will continue to self-quarantine! In the past few days both Alisa and I are starting to feel somewhat better in terms of stamina and cough, though we still have the cough; and we continue to support and help each other, eat healthy foods, and be positive. There is light at the end of tunnel whatever we have.

And of course my home theater installer workwise is closed down right now considering Covid-19. Plus by early afternoon he gets pretty tired. I told him don't worry about me, get fully well, and get tested for Covid-19 ASAP and let me know the results. Of course, all the test tells you is if you have or had it - for us nonhospital cases, treatment is the same, stay home and quarantine! But he is now submitting the plans to Quest Acoustical Interiors so they can come up with their acoustical treatment recommendation and pricing so we can at least place the order and get the ball going.
I pray you and your daughter continue to have mild symptoms and make a good recovery. Thank you for sharing.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Azekecse likes this.

Tristan Jones
post #291 of 577 Old 03-27-2020, 11:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
First of all, let me say I hope you and your daughter recover quickly from what is hopefully just a cold. On the positive side, even if this is Covid-19, it looks like you only had mild symptoms and have been through the worst already.

Now, I've thought about this as well. Many weeks ago I woke up with a sore throat, which turned out to be painful a few hours later for another day or two. Took the usual medication and another day later it was gone... for two to three weeks. Please keep in mind that Covid-19 wasn't a thing then here, not a single case, so everyone thought it's a cold. Then it came back, sore throat, drippy nose, not that bad. I stayed home, worked from the home office. At the end of the week I had to attend a meeting, since I felt much better, I went there, kept my distance from everyone like with a regular cold. A few days later it came back with a vengeance. It completely knocked me out. Heavy coughing, which was painful, short on breath, on and off fever for a few days, my legs, arms, back really hurt. Called my doctor, he said to drop by. He told me it's not the flu, there's no reason for a test unless I was in China or got in direct contact with somewhere from there. He diagnosed a really bad cold, which became that bad because I didn't stay in bed or on the couch when I showed mild symptoms. Took about a week to recover from what I think was by far the worst cold I've had in the past 25 to 30 years. I've had it worse, but that was food poisoning and such things. But for a cold, it was pretty bad. And like you, I still have a sore throat from weeks ago. Nothing bad, it feels a little itchy, very light coughing here and there. Normally I wouldn't even think about it, since I'm fine otherwise, no fever, no headache, nothing. Everyone I've been in contact with the past few weeks shows no symptoms at all. By now I'm not contagious anymore, but yet, I've had this super long cold and I kept wondering the past few days... what if I already had it and recovered?

- Stephan
post #292 of 577 Old 03-27-2020, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter

My younger daughter and I are sleeping good, getting better, no fever. We both feel we will fully recover just a slow quarentineful (new word I just invented?) process. Thanks for your concern.

post #293 of 577 Old 03-27-2020, 12:30 PM

^^ Steve In some ways it might be good if you did have the virus since (a) you would now have immunity and (b) you are still with us.

My wife and I and another 9 couple from our community went on a cruise at the end of January/beginning of February. All but one couple got sick upon return. All with various symptoms (high fairly high fever (me), headaches, upset stomach, aches, etc) and it lasted a few day or up to a week, and the we all got better. Because of some previous heart issues, I went to the Emergency Room and none of the tests showed anything. So who knows!!
post #294 of 577 Old 03-27-2020, 01:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcn View Post
Time for GM to repay.
Ship of Fools

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/27/trum...ntilators.html
post #295 of 577 Old 03-27-2020, 02:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

post #296 of 577 Old 03-28-2020, 08:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 4446 Post(s)
Liked: 3890
Daily Beast (yuck) does a lot of bootlicking of their own. Not clicking. I mean, while this was raging in China, some would like us to forget rather quickly what was transpiring in the House and then Senate. I will not, even if it means going down with the ship (come and take it, etc.).
Quote:
^^ Steve In some ways it might be good if you did have the virus since (a) you would now have immunity and (b) you are still with us.
So who knows how accurate they were, but early reports from China showed reinfection rates were quite high with this behemoth.

Last edited by video_analysis; 03-28-2020 at 08:38 AM.
post #297 of 577 Old 03-28-2020, 09:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

...more than a river in Egypt.

Last edited by bmcn; 03-28-2020 at 09:50 AM.
post #298 of 577 Old 03-28-2020, 12:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by video_analysis View Post
So who knows how accurate they were, but early reports from China showed reinfection rates were quite high with this behemoth.
That's probably due to different strains. So as long as one is not exposed to a mutated version, it should be ok. In China the original strain cam from animals, probably bats and then it mutated once it hit humans.

- Stephan
post #299 of 577 Old 03-28-2020, 12:31 PM

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked: 2413
Quote:
That's probably due to different strains. So as long as one is not exposed to a mutated version, it should be ok.
And, as was experienced in 1918, the mutated strain(s) was not as deadly.

If you can’t explain it simply, you don’t understand it well enough – Albert Einstein
post #300 of 577 Old 03-28-2020, 12:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
...probably bats and then it mutated once it hit humans.
Via bat's head soup or intermediate host?

What's being dismembered @ 1:37 in unverified video?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Coronavirus Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page