How's everyone dealing with the virus problem? - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 202Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #61 of 192 Old 03-25-2020, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
alan0354's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Silicon Valley
Posts: 2,641
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1891 Post(s)
Liked: 498
Let's just hope warmer weather slow down the virus and give us time to come up with vaccines before Fall and Winter.

Own designed power amp, own designed preamp, JM LAB Spectral 913.1 speakers, Rythmik F12SE sub.
Not hooked up: Nakamichi Stasis PA-7 power amp, Velodyne VA1210 sub, Kef Reference Series center, Kef Bookshelf speaker, Monitor Audio bookshelf speaker, Infinity rear speakers. Acurus 3X200W amp.
alan0354 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #62 of 192 Old 03-25-2020, 07:51 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: USA
Posts: 252
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan0354 View Post
It really does not help when the media is fanning fire on every turn, like telling people don't use the Hydroxychloroquine to treat very sick patients because some stupid people died from eating fish bowl cleaner that has Chloroquine something. Just because the name has "Chloroquine" does not mean they are even similar!!! Fish bowl cleaner. Then governor of NV ban people from even trying Hydroxychloroquine. Main stream news even putting blame on Hydroxychloroquine for killing that person.


There is so much politics involve this time. Take is very serious, but be very careful what you read.
i have an entire bottle of hydroxychloriquine sitting in my night stand that i take for another condition. it is safe to take, allbeit a bit rough on the liver. it is completely safe to take under the direction of a doctor.

the media is completely blowing that medication out of proportion.

i have one question though i would love to aske the media. plaquinil is an immunosuppresant/anti-parisidic medication. not quite sure how a lowered immune system helps the body fight off a virus.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LG 55C8, Pioneer Elite VSX-LX503, Panamax M5400, Microsoft Xbox One X, Nvidia Shield Pro
Definitive Technology: BP9060 Front left/right/CS9040 center/A90 front Atmos/ProMonitor 800 rear Atmos/Mirage: MX bookshelves rear left/right
Rythmik FVX15
MATTHEW PATIENT is offline  
post #63 of 192 Old 03-25-2020, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
alan0354's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Silicon Valley
Posts: 2,641
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1891 Post(s)
Liked: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by MATTHEW PATIENT View Post
i have an entire bottle of hydroxychloriquine sitting in my night stand that i take for another condition. it is safe to take, allbeit a bit rough on the liver. it is completely safe to take under the direction of a doctor.

the media is completely blowing that medication out of proportion.

i have one question though i would love to aske the media. plaquinil is an immunosuppresant/anti-parisidic medication. not quite sure how a lowered immune system helps the body fight off a virus.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's another drug that is used together as a cocktail. I don't remember the name. It's too much info all at once. My thinking is no matter what people say, if a person is seriously ill of the virus, what do they have to lose at that point. I am surprised the news media try to paint a negative picture on the experimental drugs. If people wait for FDA to conclude the drug is helpful, it's too late already.
MATTHEW PATIENT likes this.

Own designed power amp, own designed preamp, JM LAB Spectral 913.1 speakers, Rythmik F12SE sub.
Not hooked up: Nakamichi Stasis PA-7 power amp, Velodyne VA1210 sub, Kef Reference Series center, Kef Bookshelf speaker, Monitor Audio bookshelf speaker, Infinity rear speakers. Acurus 3X200W amp.
alan0354 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #64 of 192 Old 03-25-2020, 08:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
markmon1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 7,432
Mentioned: 143 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6222 Post(s)
Liked: 4253
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan0354 View Post
Don't, you might not survive. Besides, it will do permanent damage to the lungs.
It *might* do permanent damage to your lungs. A lot of people don't even get pneumonia. I'd guess 90% of cases have no lung damage.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" ST130 G4 screen in batcave, htpc nvidia 1080ti madVR.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, Infinite Baffle Subs 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 2x12 fi audio mounted in main chair firing into back.
markmon1 is offline  
post #65 of 192 Old 03-25-2020, 10:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
alan0354's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Silicon Valley
Posts: 2,641
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1891 Post(s)
Liked: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
It *might* do permanent damage to your lungs. A lot of people don't even get pneumonia. I'd guess 90% of cases have no lung damage.

Information is not reliable, but people in Hong Kong say it will damage the lungs.



Look, nothing is proven and reliable, lot's of speculations. You don't know what to trust. But just eye on the safe side.


I exercise over 4 hours a week, it's hard to keep in condition. Doing rounds on kicking bags, jogging and climb stairs to get into some sort of shape. Last thing I want is to damage my lungs and ruin everything. So I rather be too cautious than not cautious enough.
Matt2026 likes this.

Own designed power amp, own designed preamp, JM LAB Spectral 913.1 speakers, Rythmik F12SE sub.
Not hooked up: Nakamichi Stasis PA-7 power amp, Velodyne VA1210 sub, Kef Reference Series center, Kef Bookshelf speaker, Monitor Audio bookshelf speaker, Infinity rear speakers. Acurus 3X200W amp.
alan0354 is online now  
post #66 of 192 Old 03-25-2020, 10:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
markmon1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 7,432
Mentioned: 143 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6222 Post(s)
Liked: 4253
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan0354 View Post
Information is not reliable, but people in Hong Kong say it will damage the lungs.



Look, nothing is proven and reliable, lot's of speculations. You don't know what to trust. But just eye on the safe side.


I exercise over 4 hours a week, it's hard to keep in condition. Doing rounds on kicking bags, jogging and climb stairs to get into some sort of shape. Last thing I want is to damage my lungs and ruin everything. So I rather be too cautious than not cautious enough.
Many people never show any symptoms. Many never get pneumonia. For some it never moves into the lungs and behaves more like a regular cold (nose, throat). It does not damage everyone's lungs that get it. It doesn't even permanently damage everyone's lungs that get pneumonia. Permanent lung damage is a real risk, though. I'm worried about it.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" ST130 G4 screen in batcave, htpc nvidia 1080ti madVR.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, Infinite Baffle Subs 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 2x12 fi audio mounted in main chair firing into back.
markmon1 is offline  
post #67 of 192 Old 03-25-2020, 10:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
alan0354's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Silicon Valley
Posts: 2,641
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1891 Post(s)
Liked: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
Many people never show any symptoms. Many never get pneumonia. For some it never moves into the lungs and behaves more like a regular cold (nose, throat). It does not damage everyone's lungs that get it. It doesn't even permanently damage everyone's lungs that get pneumonia. Permanent lung damage is a real risk, though. I'm worried about it.

All we can do is do our best and cross our fingers.


I forgot to mention, lot more people in China and Hong Kong smoke. That really hurts if they get the virus. Here, very few people smoke. I quit over 30 years ago.

Own designed power amp, own designed preamp, JM LAB Spectral 913.1 speakers, Rythmik F12SE sub.
Not hooked up: Nakamichi Stasis PA-7 power amp, Velodyne VA1210 sub, Kef Reference Series center, Kef Bookshelf speaker, Monitor Audio bookshelf speaker, Infinity rear speakers. Acurus 3X200W amp.
alan0354 is online now  
post #68 of 192 Old 03-26-2020, 12:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
DreamWarrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Dirty South Jersey
Posts: 2,510
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked: 744
Many more great points made to help put the aggregate statistics being pushed by the main-stream media into perspective. You know, in some other thread around here (AV related even) someone was whining about (and I'll take some liberties, but how I perceived it was...) how science must be wizardry due its use of some many confusing variables. Another poster pointed out that controlling those variables is part of science...engineering is optimizing them. Life as variables, LOTS OF THEM! More than we even understand. The best we can do is apply our statistics properly given the variables we know about in the sample-set. Then we respect there are probably variables we don't know about. We can also do our best to take "noise" from the study by examining and analyzing variables, but...that's starting to add perspective and opinion...which variables matter, how much? None-the-less, the raw data never lies, and the more you know about the variables in your sample the better you an apply it to a larger population.


One of the papers posted in another thread said it best -- paraphrasing: if we really want to understand this, we need to sample a large, random population (both sick and healthy, from various areas, of all ages -- random) then isolate and track them. You watch their viral load and see how long it takes for all of them to get through it, die (with medical assistance giving them the best chance of living, of course), or live mostly (or completely) symptomless. The more in the study, the better. They can never have contact, neither directly nor indirectly; there can be no chance the virus spreads between them. That is how you analyze the virus. What we're doing in the country (at least the way the media portrays it, IMO), isn't! We have a self-selected sample set of "sick enough to end up hospitalized" people. Even worse, because they won't let possibly healthy (but maybe exposed) people take a test, they miss data that could help better determine the asymptomatic period.


Which is to say, in general, we're f'ing up. We're lucky this thing isn't more deadly! Next time, you better all hope we learned from this time! I'll look at this as our failed test run for the final exam. Further, I hope finals day is long in the making, because it'll take a while to recover and learn from this one, IMO.
DreamWarrior is offline  
post #69 of 192 Old 03-26-2020, 12:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
DreamWarrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Dirty South Jersey
Posts: 2,510
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked: 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc View Post
I'm 100% agreed. Like you I've been using p90x for many years. Just push play and results just happen. Not for folks that want to bulk huge, but will make you very strong and fit. Hard to calculate the money that program has saved me in gym costs and equipment. I recently purchased a NordicTrack treadmill and bike with the iFit programs built-in. iFit is an amazing experience that is incredibly engaging. I work those workouts into the P90x routine on plyo/yoga/kenpo days. They're outdoor workouts where you run and bike alongside the trainers that control the treadmill or bike so you can just immerse yourself without messing with speeds or inclines. Huge variety and great trainers. Highly recommend. Not cheap like p90x though .
Humm...so, let's see...if I start P90X, I'll have gotten my: speaker, router, and workout advice from you. So far you're 2-2, so...maybe I should give P90X a shot, lol! There was a guy that lived above me and my wife in FL (he was annoying, but, at least he didn't complain about my music...probably because we didn't complain about his P90X stomping at all hours, lol) -- anyway, this guy was a sales-rep and tried to push me to buy it. He wasn't so nice about it, though, he basically called me puny and told me I could use it, lol...he may not have been entirely wrong, but...still stung, lol.
Gooddoc likes this.
DreamWarrior is offline  
post #70 of 192 Old 03-26-2020, 01:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
alan0354's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Silicon Valley
Posts: 2,641
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1891 Post(s)
Liked: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWarrior View Post
Humm...so, let's see...if I start P90X, I'll have gotten my: speaker, router, and workout advice from you. So far you're 2-2, so...maybe I should give P90X a shot, lol! There was a guy that lived above me and my wife in FL (he was annoying, but, at least he didn't complain about my music...probably because we didn't complain about his P90X stomping at all hours, lol) -- anyway, this guy was a sales-rep and tried to push me to buy it. He wasn't so nice about it, though, he basically called me puny and told me I could use it, lol...he may not have been entirely wrong, but...still stung, lol.
I watch the video of P90, it looks really good and quite hard. If I don't have my own exercise, I would really try it. I want dual purpose, not just good exercise to keep fit. I spend the time to do punching and kicking the heavy bag in kick boxing style( not the same at all with Tybo or Tibo, those are just forms, not good for self defense). It's not just aerobic exercise, it's self defense. It serve dual purpose. I am sure P90 is a better and more complete exercise than what I am doing, but it's not dual purpose. For someone not into self defense, P90 is very good.


Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWarrior View Post
Many more great points made to help put the aggregate statistics being pushed by the main-stream media into perspective. You know, in some other thread around here (AV related even) someone was whining about (and I'll take some liberties, but how I perceived it was...) how science must be wizardry due its use of some many confusing variables. Another poster pointed out that controlling those variables is part of science...engineering is optimizing them. Life as variables, LOTS OF THEM! More than we even understand. The best we can do is apply our statistics properly given the variables we know about in the sample-set. Then we respect there are probably variables we don't know about. We can also do our best to take "noise" from the study by examining and analyzing variables, but...that's starting to add perspective and opinion...which variables matter, how much? None-the-less, the raw data never lies, and the more you know about the variables in your sample the better you an apply it to a larger population.

One of the papers posted in another thread said it best -- paraphrasing: if we really want to understand this, we need to sample a large, random population (both sick and healthy, from various areas, of all ages -- random) then isolate and track them. You watch their viral load and see how long it takes for all of them to get through it, die (with medical assistance giving them the best chance of living, of course), or live mostly (or completely) symptomless. The more in the study, the better. They can never have contact, neither directly nor indirectly; there can be no chance the virus spreads between them. That is how you analyze the virus. What we're doing in the country (at least the way the media portrays it, IMO), isn't! We have a self-selected sample set of "sick enough to end up hospitalized" people. Even worse, because they won't let possibly healthy (but maybe exposed) people take a test, they miss data that could help better determine the asymptomatic period.

Which is to say, in general, we're f'ing up. We're lucky this thing isn't more deadly! Next time, you better all hope we learned from this time! I'll look at this as our failed test run for the final exam. Further, I hope finals day is long in the making, because it'll take a while to recover and learn from this one, IMO.

I am in scientific field, there are more politics and bias in so called scientific report. You can take the same set of data and spin it in complete opposite conclusion by picking and choosing the data.


It's easy to control the spread of the virus. Look at China, they have it well under control in short 3 months. You see in news 4 men carry a middle age sick woman and threw her into the truck, one person holding one of her limb carrying her out from her house? They literally blocked all the roads leading out of Wuhan one day and nobody can go in and out. Force all the sick into somewhere. You don't know those people ever make it out alive. That will control the virus spread very quick and efficient. BUT, you want this in this country?


This country is doing the best we can do already, we closed the border to China in January, close the border to the whole Europe as soon as the situation got hot. That itself saved a lot of lives. Based on result the spread is a lot slower in USA than other countries, still a lot fewer died compare to the rest of the world given the size and population of USA.


So far, the latest number of death is a little over 1000, it's bad, but it can be a whole lot worst. I am sure more will die before it level off, BUT I am optimistic we won't be anything like Italy when it all said and done because of how we control our border and the effort in produce medication to fight the virus.



Last but not the least, parents should control their kids, they are the ones that ignore the warnings. They think they are invincible, they just want to sneak out and party and bring the virus back and infect their parents and grand parents.

Own designed power amp, own designed preamp, JM LAB Spectral 913.1 speakers, Rythmik F12SE sub.
Not hooked up: Nakamichi Stasis PA-7 power amp, Velodyne VA1210 sub, Kef Reference Series center, Kef Bookshelf speaker, Monitor Audio bookshelf speaker, Infinity rear speakers. Acurus 3X200W amp.

Last edited by alan0354; 03-26-2020 at 01:42 AM.
alan0354 is online now  
post #71 of 192 Old 03-26-2020, 02:00 AM
DIY Granddad (w/help)
 
MississippiMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Byhalia, Mississippi. Waaaay down in the Bottoms
Posts: 22,958
Mentioned: 350 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4152 Post(s)
Liked: 2003
Send a message via Skype™ to MississippiMan
Well..now, hasn't this Thread brought out how everyone ( a few) is dealing with the virus problem.


Obviously not too well. This Thread won't be staying on Topic so I'm out. Redundant arguments against what should be common sense reasoning along with finger pointing in this time of crisis is much to much of a all too common pastime elsewhere that I personally don't need to read it here.



https://www.avsforum.com/forum/500-c...l#post59411130

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/500-c...l#post59411242

"They said it couldn't be done. Well, we sure showed 'em otherwise!"
HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings
MississippiMan is offline  
post #72 of 192 Old 03-26-2020, 10:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
DreamWarrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Dirty South Jersey
Posts: 2,510
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked: 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan0354 View Post
*snip*
I am in scientific field, there are more politics and bias in so called scientific report. You can take the same set of data and spin it in complete opposite conclusion by picking and choosing the data.
Obviously, but you can't "spin" raw data. In fact, that data exists for the sole purpose of "spin" and that "spin" (for intellectually honest people) isn't "spin" at all...it's just raw data analysis to bin it and organize it by the (lots of) potential variables in the sample (age, health, geographic region, etc). If one misuses that data (like the media, IMO) then that's their bad...the result, of course, is often linked with their motivation -- they want to spread fear, they will; they want to spread hate, they will.... It's not surprising when the response tracks the motivation behind it...there's your "spin".

Which is to say, I've been done with mainstream media for a long time, but...it is reconfirmed how atrocious they are as a business and, often, as people. Some of the news anchors need to be fired...but, their type of news drives ratings up (because people (not individuals, people, together, when you group them) are often dumb and prefer dramas and easy information and group-think to fact and documentaries, lol -- which is my preference occasionally, but certainly never when it comes to my real bloody life).

Quote:
It's easy to control the spread of the virus. Look at China, they have it well under control in short 3 months. You see in news 4 men carry a middle age sick woman and threw her into the truck, one person holding one of her limb carrying her out from her house? They literally blocked all the roads leading out of Wuhan one day and nobody can go in and out. Force all the sick into somewhere. You don't know those people ever make it out alive. That will control the virus spread very quick and efficient. BUT, you want this in this country?
Want? No. But, if a more potent strain were to materialize, you can damn well believe I'd support some of it! Sometimes the good of the whole has to come before the freedoms of some.

Unfortunately, this may not have been the virus to test that on...or maybe it was. We just don't have, IMO, sufficient data yet. But, as some have said, "how long were we supposed to wait for data before reacting". I suppose, they have a point...but, we need to learn to collect data faster, more efficiently, and act upon that rather than our emotions (and greed was certainly a prevailing emotion in this go-round, IMO!). Regardless, we should have acted in a more data-forward way that would have allowed for efficient data gathering. For a variety of reasons (most due to the ineptitude and biases of the current administration, both before and during the outbreak, IMO) we did not.

Quote:
This country is doing the best we can do already, we closed the border to China in January, close the border to the whole Europe as soon as the situation got hot. That itself saved a lot of lives. Based on result the spread is a lot slower in USA than other countries, still a lot fewer died compare to the rest of the world given the size and population of USA.
We did all that, and yet here we are. Know why? Because all that was not the right way to handle this! The right way to handle it would be to have a good working relation with China (really, we need working relations with the world, not isolationism) so we could have had tests on the ready ASAP! This way, we could test healthy and sick people, and begin our back-traces ASAP as soon as people with even minimal viral load were found.

Doing that, we'd also have more data about the virus in general instead of the speculation and skewed sample-sets we're working off.

So, tell me how you're in the science field all you want, but, IMO, your ability to analyze proper response is motivated by the wrong things. This is evidenced by, IMO, you thinking a "closed border" is the solution. Get your xenophobic thoughts out of my backyard, please, I'm too intelligent for it.

Quote:
So far, the latest number of death is a little over 1000, it's bad, but it can be a whole lot worst. I am sure more will die before it level off, BUT I am optimistic we won't be anything like Italy when it all said and done because of how we control our border and the effort in produce medication to fight the virus.
I'm unsure I have enough data to be optimistic about anything. But, the data I do have, as limited as it is, does make me believe you're right -- however, it's only because Italy's population make-up and density in the areas most effected. That sample is not relevant to, say, NYC or CA -- it's just not. Trying to apply their aggregate death tolls to our population is an incorrect application of statistics. It may have to do with how we "controlled our border", but...if it spreads like they say, it'd only have taken a handful of people, and, if it has a 2week incubation period (still unsure those numbers are accurate, but everything I've said about how we should test would only help nail them down), we could never have closed the borders early enough (last I checked, no one is omniscient).

Quote:
Last but not the least, parents should control their kids, they are the ones that ignore the warnings. They think they are invincible, they just want to sneak out and party and bring the virus back and infect their parents and grand parents.
It's always the kids...and, for this one, statistically, they are more invincible (thankfully, I suppose...well, unless you're a crotchety get-off-my-lawner...are you?).

Last edited by DreamWarrior; 03-26-2020 at 11:01 AM.
DreamWarrior is offline  
post #73 of 192 Old 03-26-2020, 11:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 7,914
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4447 Post(s)
Liked: 3891
21 million cell phones went radio silent of late in China, so who can believe their numbers? The CCP is not a reliable source of, well, anything.
video_analysis is online now  
post #74 of 192 Old 03-26-2020, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
alan0354's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Silicon Valley
Posts: 2,641
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1891 Post(s)
Liked: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWarrior View Post

We did all that, and yet here we are. Know why? Because all that was not the right way to handle this! The right way to handle it would be to have a good working relation with China (really, we need working relations with the world, not isolationism) so we could have had tests on the ready ASAP! This way, we could test healthy and sick people, and begin our back-traces ASAP as soon as people with even minimal viral load were found.

Doing that, we'd also have more data about the virus in general instead of the speculation and skewed sample-sets we're working off.

So, tell me how you're in the science field all you want, but, IMO, your ability to analyze proper response is motivated by the wrong things. This is evidenced by, IMO, you thinking a "closed border" is the solution. Get your xenophobic thoughts out of my backyard, please, I'm too intelligent for it.

Before you accuse me of Xenophobic, I am Chinese from Hong Kong. Because I am Chinese from Hong Kong and have relatives in China, I know how China works FROM PERSONAL EXPERIENCE. You can never trust China on anything, they always try to do things underhanded. Don't listen to the fake news here. I don't think you have ANY IDEA what you are talking.



Now I know you are the globalist type, I believe in protecting this country. I don't want this country to be Italy.

Own designed power amp, own designed preamp, JM LAB Spectral 913.1 speakers, Rythmik F12SE sub.
Not hooked up: Nakamichi Stasis PA-7 power amp, Velodyne VA1210 sub, Kef Reference Series center, Kef Bookshelf speaker, Monitor Audio bookshelf speaker, Infinity rear speakers. Acurus 3X200W amp.

Last edited by alan0354; 03-26-2020 at 11:51 AM.
alan0354 is online now  
post #75 of 192 Old 03-26-2020, 11:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
DreamWarrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Dirty South Jersey
Posts: 2,510
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked: 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan0354 View Post
Before you accuse me of Xenophobic, I am Chinese from Hong Kong. Because I am Chinese from Hong Kong and have relatives in China, I know how China works FROM PERSONAL EXPERIENCE. You can never trust China on anything, they always try to do things underhanded. Don't listen to the fake news here.

Now I know you are the globalist type, I believe in protecting this country. I don't want this country to be Italy.
I accuse because I see it...and this post doesn't help me see otherwise. You "now how they work"...you know everything, I suppose. EVERY HUMAN with power does things "underhanded", it's not a Chinese thing, it's a POWER THING! So, your personal experience is founded by your biases, and they are showing....


I am a globalist because people live around the g-d globe. If you care about people, it doesn't really matter where they are from, does it? So, you feel it is fine to just ban people from coming here because you're scared or mistrusting of your home nation, or what? I, on the other hand, look for solutions to real problems.


We're not omniscient, if the virus really has a long incubation period (*) then when should we close our borders? The answer from a purely impractical "protect all" point of view is, right now, indefinitely, forever...then we only have to deal with home-brewed bugs. What does that solve? I mean, it does push forward an isolationist agenda (which our current administration and tons of xenophobic pricks have -- you say you're not one of them, act like it!).



(*) which, IMO, is still more speculation than data-driven, as it is based, AFAIK, on "where were you? oh, that's a hot-spot, when were you there? oh, well, you must have gotten it there, it's a hot-spot, so...you probably got it about x days, ago...." And, maybe they did, or maybe they didn't...but, they could have taken it to or from the hot-spot...or neither. You know how you figure it out? RANDOM G-D STUDIES ON POPULATION! Even better, when those studies include people who came in from hot-spots, even IF THEY ARE G-D HEALTHY APPEARING! But, I know, you're a scientist...you know this...right?
DreamWarrior is offline  
post #76 of 192 Old 03-26-2020, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
alan0354's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Silicon Valley
Posts: 2,641
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1891 Post(s)
Liked: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWarrior View Post
I accuse because I see it...and this post doesn't help me see otherwise. You "now how they work"...you know everything, I suppose. EVERY HUMAN with power does things "underhanded", it's not a Chinese thing, it's a POWER THING! So, your personal experience is founded by your biases, and they are showing....


I am a globalist because people live around the g-d globe. If you care about people, it doesn't really matter where they are from, does it? So, you feel it is fine to just ban people from coming here because you're scared or mistrusting of your home nation, or what? I, on the other hand, look for solutions to real problems.


We're not omniscient, if the virus really has a long incubation period (*) then when should we close our borders? The answer from aQuote purely impractical "protect all" point of view is, right now, indefinitely, forever...then we only have to deal with home-brewed bugs. What does that solve? I mean, it does push forward an isolationist agenda (which our current administration and tons of xenophobic pricks have -- you say you're not one of them, act like it!).



(*) which, IMO, is still more speculation than data-driven, as it is based, AFAIK, on "where were you? oh, that's a hot-spot, when were you there? oh, well, you must have gotten it there, it's a hot-spot, so...you probably got it about x days, ago...." And, maybe they did, or maybe they didn't...but, they could have taken it to or from the hot-spot...or neither. You know how you figure it out? RANDOM G-D STUDIES ON POPULATION! Even better, when those studies include people who came in from hot-spots, even IF THEY ARE G-D HEALTHY APPEARING! But, I know, you're a scientist...you know this...right?

How come you don't care about our people if you care so much? Or you just care about people from other countries? That's you want to share their disease, their crimes?


I know I am more right than you because I live it. You been living in China? If not, you claim you know?

Own designed power amp, own designed preamp, JM LAB Spectral 913.1 speakers, Rythmik F12SE sub.
Not hooked up: Nakamichi Stasis PA-7 power amp, Velodyne VA1210 sub, Kef Reference Series center, Kef Bookshelf speaker, Monitor Audio bookshelf speaker, Infinity rear speakers. Acurus 3X200W amp.
alan0354 is online now  
post #77 of 192 Old 03-26-2020, 12:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
DreamWarrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Dirty South Jersey
Posts: 2,510
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked: 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan0354 View Post
How come you don't care about our people if you care so much? Or you just care about people from other countries? That's you want to share their disease, their crimes?


I know I am more right than you because I live it. You been living in China? If not, you claim you know?
Dude, I do care about "our people". You need to increase your reading comprehension or I need to better my ability to get my point across. It's globally better to have open borders so when things like this happen (and they will, it's not just China that cultivates disease) we can all work together to fix it; and fast, too, because if the next virus is more deadly, we'll lose many more people. Closing off borders doesn't get that done!


READ! READ! READ!


Here's a thought experiment -- try it out.


Tomorrow, someone dies in a hospital. We investigate, find it may be a new virus. After further investigation, it ACTUALLY DOES seem to have a very real 2-week incubation period. When do we close our borders? 2 weeks ago? Because that's the only thing that helps -- the virus is already here, most likely. When do we open them? NEVER!? Because that's the only thing that stops it from happening again -- then we're just going to be fighting our home-brewed bugs. I said all this already. You seem not to be capable of comprehending it through your bias. So, you just, what, accuse me of not caring about our people. And you're a scientist?


So, let's say we DO close our borders. Then what? We probably have citizens left over there...do we just not allow them back? We probably have Chinese over here, do we just auto-quarantine them because we "can't trust them" (your words, not mine...you know, because you know all your people better than me). I suppose we just leave them open long enough to make that shuffle, we get back "ours" China gets back "theirs" and then NO MORE GET OFF OUR LAWN! And that's how YOU want to handle it? Sorry, but I care enough to find solutions that don't require that.



Seriously man, it's NOT ME that's the problem here! And if you can't discuss this with me in a logical way, then just stop trying.
DreamWarrior is offline  
post #78 of 192 Old 03-26-2020, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
alan0354's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Silicon Valley
Posts: 2,641
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1891 Post(s)
Liked: 498
I guess you can't answer whether you live in China before.



Typical intolerant left. Generous on other's behalf, living in a sheltered world and tell other's they are wrong. They have no idea what they are talking about and only resort to insults.

Own designed power amp, own designed preamp, JM LAB Spectral 913.1 speakers, Rythmik F12SE sub.
Not hooked up: Nakamichi Stasis PA-7 power amp, Velodyne VA1210 sub, Kef Reference Series center, Kef Bookshelf speaker, Monitor Audio bookshelf speaker, Infinity rear speakers. Acurus 3X200W amp.
alan0354 is online now  
post #79 of 192 Old 03-26-2020, 12:49 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Ratman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Collingswood, N.J.
Posts: 19,886
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2589 Post(s)
Liked: 2415



If you can’t explain it simply, you don’t understand it well enough – Albert Einstein
Ratman is online now  
post #80 of 192 Old 03-26-2020, 03:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
DreamWarrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Dirty South Jersey
Posts: 2,510
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked: 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan0354 View Post
I guess you can't answer whether you live in China before.


Typical intolerant left. Generous on other's behalf, living in a sheltered world and tell other's they are wrong. They have no idea what they are talking about and only resort to insults.
I can answer, no, I haven't. Can you answer this: "how, in the flying F$% is that relevant to whether or not Chinese air-traffic should be stopped." In fact, how is your bias regarding the Chinese people relevant? Can you answer that? More, how can you not see YOUR ATTITUDE is foundational in YOUR BIAS and mine is foundational in RAW FACTS (and even the admission that I don't have all of them and would like to collect more)! YOU ARE THE PROBLEM!


But, hey, maybe I should just be like you, you know, the "tolerant people" that think all Chinese are nasty pieces of crap that can't be trusted...even though you are Chinese yourself.... What happened to you? It must have sucked. But, to put that on EVERY Chinese person? I mean, does it apply to you, too? Or, no, because you're here now? And, of course, none of the rest of your people should be allowed to because they are dishonest scum? This is how I perceive your idiotic statements. Now, tell me I'm wrong!


This isn't just you though, I have other moronic friends that feel the same. There's one guy whose family came here from Cuba and now, as far as he's concerned, all immigrants are trash -- he works diligently in Homeland Security to remove them from the country, doesn't support a President who would open our borders. I'll never comprehend it...it's OK, but only when it's you and yours, right?


Don't attribute the "typical leftist intolerance" crap to me, it sounds stupid on you. Are you stupid?


Again, mods...I think this guy deserves it...so, let's let him speak for himself here. Expose himself for what he is. Or...delete my post, I don't care. But, I'm sick and tired of this BS! We need to call it out. Maybe it'll help him realize what he comes off like. And, if people spoke this same way to me, maybe they'd figure out where I really stand, too!
DreamWarrior is offline  
post #81 of 192 Old 03-26-2020, 03:10 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwskud View Post
Hopefully this doesn't sound like an infomercial...

For folks with limited space and limited budget, I cannot recommend P90X highly enough. All you need is enough room to roll out a mat, some PowerBlocks, and either a set of bands or a pull-up bar. You can add push-up stands, a weighted vest, medicine balls, etc. later. I've been using P90X and P90X2 since 2009 and get great results. Add in Insanity (or Insanity Max 30, if you're a true masochist) and you've got the best cardio workouts on the planet (IMHO). All told, a few sets of DVDs, a few pieces of equipment, and you'll never spend money on a gym again.
P90 whhhhaaaa?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	p90x.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	202.0 KB
ID:	2701992  

|Epson 5040UB|HDFury Integral2|Elite Screens 100|Marantz AV7705|Emotiva XPA-7Gen 3|Outlaw 5000|Panamax M-5300|2 Klipsch RF7III|Klipsch R64III|4 Klipsch RP-502S|2 Klipsch R-115SW|Panasonic UB820|XboxOneX|PS4|Sanus CFR2136|2 AC Infinity CLOUDPLATE T2|Acoustics by ATS|Logitec Harmony Elite|
DjFreddyD is online now  
post #82 of 192 Old 03-26-2020, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
alan0354's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Silicon Valley
Posts: 2,641
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1891 Post(s)
Liked: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWarrior View Post
I can answer, no, I haven't. Can you answer this: "how, in the flying F$% is that relevant to whether or not Chinese air-traffic should be stopped." In fact, how is your bias regarding the Chinese people relevant? Can you answer that? More, how can you not see YOUR ATTITUDE is foundational in YOUR BIAS and mine is foundational in RAW FACTS (and even the admission that I don't have all of them and would like to collect more)! YOU ARE THE PROBLEM!


But, hey, maybe I should just be like you, you know, the "tolerant people" that think all Chinese are nasty pieces of crap that can't be trusted...even though you are Chinese yourself.... What happened to you? It must have sucked. But, to put that on EVERY Chinese person? I mean, does it apply to you, too? Or, no, because you're here now? And, of course, none of the rest of your people should be allowed to because they are dishonest scum? This is how I perceive your idiotic statements. Now, tell me I'm wrong!


This isn't just you though, I have other moronic friends that feel the same. There's one guy whose family came here from Cuba and now, as far as he's concerned, all immigrants are trash -- he works diligently in Homeland Security to remove them from the country, doesn't support a President who would open our borders. I'll never comprehend it...it's OK, but only when it's you and yours, right?


Don't attribute the "typical leftist intolerance" crap to me, it sounds stupid on you. Are you stupid?


Again, mods...I think this guy deserves it...so, let's let him speak for himself here. Expose himself for what he is. Or...delete my post, I don't care. But, I'm sick and tired of this BS! We need to call it out. Maybe it'll help him realize what he comes off like. And, if people spoke this same way to me, maybe they'd figure out where I really stand, too!

Did I hit a raw nerve? Snow flake, no? I'm sorry if that hurts your feelings.


I was going to mention Cubans, they live it, they are not as NAIVE like some people that talk out of their behind. They know first hand. You really make my point,

Own designed power amp, own designed preamp, JM LAB Spectral 913.1 speakers, Rythmik F12SE sub.
Not hooked up: Nakamichi Stasis PA-7 power amp, Velodyne VA1210 sub, Kef Reference Series center, Kef Bookshelf speaker, Monitor Audio bookshelf speaker, Infinity rear speakers. Acurus 3X200W amp.
alan0354 is online now  
post #83 of 192 Old 03-26-2020, 03:36 PM
Administrator
Administrator
 
Mike Lang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Posts: 17,722
Mentioned: 438 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1687 Post(s)
Liked: 1334
@DreamWarrior @alan0354

You two are done here. Don't reply in this thread again.
Ratman, fbov and MATTHEW PATIENT like this.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.
Always post about products, never post about other members.
Join the AVS Forum Club and help support the site.
AVS Forum is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with AV Science Inc.
Mike Lang is offline  
post #84 of 192 Old 03-26-2020, 03:43 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: USA
Posts: 252
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 185
so i have been off from work at the hospital since monday.

since then, i have blown in insulation into my garage, installed my new rhthmic sub, ran wire and cups in each bedroom for ceiling fans, cleaned my garage, installed my rear atmos speakers after i ran new speaker wire under the floor, and cleaned the entire house

i need a vacation from my staycation.

that is how i have been dealing with this stupid virus.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LG 55C8, Pioneer Elite VSX-LX503, Panamax M5400, Microsoft Xbox One X, Nvidia Shield Pro
Definitive Technology: BP9060 Front left/right/CS9040 center/A90 front Atmos/ProMonitor 800 rear Atmos/Mirage: MX bookshelves rear left/right
Rythmik FVX15
MATTHEW PATIENT is offline  
post #85 of 192 Old 03-26-2020, 03:53 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Art Sonneborn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Battle Creek,MI USA
Posts: 24,445
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1433 Post(s)
Liked: 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan0354 View Post

Yes, you can stop the virus by a quarantine of everyone for a long period of time, but what kind of country will be left afterwards. Yes, we should all do our part, but we still have to live. You have to look at things at all angle.

Thanks ! Excellent post !

Art
alan0354 likes this.
Art Sonneborn is online now  
post #86 of 192 Old 03-26-2020, 04:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Matt2026's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Silicon Valley
Posts: 7,625
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1046 Post(s)
Liked: 28278
I'm ready to take my second walk for the day...

My son drives truck and delivers all around the San Francisco Bay area. He just sent me this photo; it looks like a scene from some apocalyptic movie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Golden Gate Bridge 3-26-2020.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	440.8 KB
ID:	2702004  
Matt2026 is online now  
post #87 of 192 Old 03-27-2020, 06:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
8mile13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 7,766
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked: 1453
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan0354 View Post
Let's just hope warmer weather slow down the virus and give us time to come up with vaccines before Fall and Winter.
Actually it is stated that vaccine will be found/approved/ available in large quantities when most of this crisis is over in best case scenario.
8mile13 is offline  
post #88 of 192 Old 03-27-2020, 07:11 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: USA
Posts: 252
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mile13 View Post
Actually it is stated that vaccine will be found/approved/ available in large quantities when most of this crisis is over in best case scenario.

lets hope the “vaccine” works better than the one for the flu.....

working in a hospital, i am hopeful...but working in a hospital i wont be surprised if its 10% effective like last year’s flu vaccine.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LG 55C8, Pioneer Elite VSX-LX503, Panamax M5400, Microsoft Xbox One X, Nvidia Shield Pro
Definitive Technology: BP9060 Front left/right/CS9040 center/A90 front Atmos/ProMonitor 800 rear Atmos/Mirage: MX bookshelves rear left/right
Rythmik FVX15
MATTHEW PATIENT is offline  
post #89 of 192 Old 03-27-2020, 07:12 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: USA
Posts: 252
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt2026 View Post
I'm ready to take my second walk for the day...

My son drives truck and delivers all around the San Francisco Bay area. He just sent me this photo; it looks like a scene from some apocalyptic movie

wow!

i used to live in vacaville when i was stationed at travis afb, and i have NEVER seen that bridge empty like that.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Matt2026 likes this.

LG 55C8, Pioneer Elite VSX-LX503, Panamax M5400, Microsoft Xbox One X, Nvidia Shield Pro
Definitive Technology: BP9060 Front left/right/CS9040 center/A90 front Atmos/ProMonitor 800 rear Atmos/Mirage: MX bookshelves rear left/right
Rythmik FVX15
MATTHEW PATIENT is offline  
post #90 of 192 Old 03-27-2020, 09:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ctviggen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,246
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Where I live, there are not enough PPE (personal protective equipment), so you can't get a test for coronavirus unless you meet certain criteria (as in, you're really sick or a medical professional).

Bob
ctviggen is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Coronavirus Discussion

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off