Who is now working from home? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 86Likes

post #1 of 96 Old 03-24-2020, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter
Administrator
Administrator

Mentioned: 490 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1808 Post(s)
Liked: 1500
Who is now working from home?

Do you like it?

Let's see some pictures of your WFH setup!

What challenges are you running into?

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.
Always post about products, never post about other members.
Join the AVS Forum Club and help support the site.
AVS Forum is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with AV Science Inc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 96 Old 03-24-2020, 08:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 3344 Post(s)
Liked: 2209
I can only work about 5% from home, my job is very hands-on. I like being there, I don't like being at home to do anything work-related. Plus, now I have no excuse to NOT do work around the house.....

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
post #3 of 96 Old 03-24-2020, 11:28 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I work from home and have been doing so whenever possible in the past. So it's not a new situation for me, I'm used to it. It's just every day now instead of a few days per month. What's new is having every meeting online including those with co-workers who are usually in the same building. I don't have physical access to all systems/hardware anymore, but I'm working around that... for now. In the end, it saves me between 1 and 2 hours per day depending on traffic.
Dark Matter likes this.

- Stephan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 96 Old 03-24-2020, 12:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1752 Post(s)
Liked: 7634
Meh! I don't feel like I can get as much done at home as opposed to in the office due to the slow VPN connection. It really sucks right now because I'm working on one of the biggest projects our dept has ever seen and my new manager just doesn't get it. She still bothers me with insignificant meetings and "cascades" (<--- shoot me now!) that could be summed up in a 2 line e-mail! Don't get me started how useless these "career managers" are in Corporate America that spout off senseless corporate jargon like it's a skillset or something!
m0j0, Dark Matter and Kevnmin like this.
post #5 of 96 Old 03-24-2020, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter
Administrator
Administrator

Mentioned: 490 Post(s)
Quoted: 1808 Post(s)
Liked: 1500
At least a lot of those meetings that could have been emails will finally be emails.
Strahan and skylarlove1999 like this.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.
Always post about products, never post about other members.
Join the AVS Forum Club and help support the site.
AVS Forum is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with AV Science Inc.
post #6 of 96 Old 03-24-2020, 01:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lang View Post
At least a lot of those meetings that could have been emails will finally be emails.
Not with Skype around! Don't get me started with the things they're able to do with that application!
skylarlove1999 likes this.
post #7 of 96 Old 03-24-2020, 02:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked: 965
In the past, I disliked working from home -- still do to some extent. I mean, I "hate people", but for some stupid reason I like being around them, haha. But, when I worked from home in the past no one else was home but me. So, I'd be depressed all day waiting for my wife to come home like a puppy waiting for its owner...it was sad, lol.

In the present, I have two kids and they make working from home more enjoyable, but less productive. Also having a nice basement with my AV gear in it helps my mood. Unfortunately, that too lowers my productivity; I have to put on music I can ignore or I get more wrapped up in that than my work. So, working from home these days is better, but less productive in some ways (more in others...I don't have co-workers bugging me at least).

Just had my first big Skype meeting (usually don't bother with them, I'll call in, keep myself off Skype). I put my daughters in front of the camera and let them amuse my co-workers before the meeting started. Of course, not much useful got done when the meeting started, either...but, it was a nice break from the monotony of being "alone in a room".

Meh, I'll never understand my own social proclivities. Hate people, can't be without them, still hate most of them anyway...but maybe I really don't hate them, ugh...I'm a messed up individual.
Rysa4, rramacha and skylarlove1999 like this.
post #8 of 96 Old 03-24-2020, 02:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I don't think you hate them, @DreamWarrior . Half introvert, half extrovert like myself. However, I live at home by myself all the time and though I'm alone... I'm definitely NEVER lonely! I can't stand being around groups of people... even those that I like, most of the time. Been there, done that in the past... same thing with marriage. Trust me... I'm good!

But when this pandemic blows over, I still won't be keen to work from home, because they only offer a couple days in the week, AND they force you to come in for "mandatory" meetings... which is at their discretion, of course. So yeah... NOPE! Not unless it's full time at home.
post #9 of 96 Old 03-24-2020, 02:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFist View Post
Not with Skype around! Don't get me started with the things they're able to do with that application!

or Slack

Paradigm PW AMP, KEF Q100, Emotiva B1, Rythmik L12
post #10 of 96 Old 03-24-2020, 02:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1682 Post(s)
Liked: 1140
I’m not working at home, but it is eery driving during mid-week rush hour and seeing the highways empty
post #11 of 96 Old 03-24-2020, 02:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I don't think you hate them, @DreamWarrior . Half introvert, half extrovert like myself. However, I live at home by myself all the time and though I'm alone... I'm definitely NEVER lonely! I can't stand being around groups of people... even those that I like, most of the time. Been there, done that in the past... same thing with marriage. Trust me... I'm good!

But when this pandemic blows over, I still won't be keen to work from home, because they only offer a couple days in the week, AND they force you to come in for "mandatory" meetings... which is at their discretion, of course. So yeah... NOPE! Not unless it's full time at home.
Yeah, I'm odd.... If I go without anyone for days, I get really stir crazy. It's like my mind starts to chew me up. I need someone to bounce things off of before I start to think I'm crazy, lol. But, then I start talking to people, realize how f'ing stupid they are, and then decide I'd rather just be alone again. I process information, ask questions, am intellectually curious...most people "can't handle" me and I likewise. They just "want to believe" and I "just want to know". If they can't further my knowledge, I reject them as "useless", but can still find them..."amusing".

I can't explain it better. It's rare I find someone intellectual enough to have deep conversations with. Even my wife makes it hard because she always thinks I overreact or am trying be cruel when I'm not.

In fact, there was a brief time where I hoped I just got this stupid virus and died so I didn't have to deal with the world any more. If I'm being honest, that feeling still hasn't left me 100%.

Oh well...I still hope everyone makes it through! My best!
SuperFist and rramacha like this.
post #12 of 96 Old 03-24-2020, 03:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 6
I was WAH (work @ home) 2 days a week. As of 03/12/2020, my co. has sent everyone home w/the capabilities to WAH. So, this is my 2nd week @ home full-time for the time being. BTW, I worked @ home for 9 YRS w/my last employer. So, it's nothing new. Love saving gas $ & dry cleaning $, + less ironing clothes, & no early bedtimes for early wake-ups, etc. Just roll out of bed & get on the CPU.
SuperFist and RagtopFE like this.

Pioneer Elite SC-LX704
Samsung Q7F | Samsung UBD-M9500 | Microsoft XBOX One X | Apple TV 4K
B&W 704 S2 | B&W HTM72 S2 | B&W CCM663 | B&W DB4S | B&W P3 S2 | D. SR-9040BP
post #13 of 96 Old 03-24-2020, 03:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1837 Post(s)
Liked: 1131
I'm in California and we have been ordered to wfh since last week, till Apr 7. I hope it gets extended as things aren't improving but luckily the governor actually has some sense unlike so many other states and the president who seem to think they should open everything back up so they don't lose their money. We need a national lockdown asap.

After this is over I hope employers realize wfh is far more productive for most people and saves money, pollution, time and is just better.
skylarlove1999 and GatoGoat like this.
post #14 of 96 Old 03-24-2020, 03:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I forgot to mention my biggest vice working from home... I work too much!

I don't think I've ever put in this many hours at work in the actual building.
weekendtoy likes this.
post #15 of 96 Old 03-24-2020, 03:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I did...my hours didn't change. Plenty of nights I'd be at the office until 1, 2, 3, 4 am. Now I just don't have to drive home tired, lol.
Squirrel! likes this.
post #16 of 96 Old 03-24-2020, 03:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2621 Post(s)
Liked: 4433
Quote:
In time the shiny toy aspect of Skype goes away, we find a useful tool for collaboration if you have a team working on something. When people learn to use Skype properly you'll get less interruptions. (it also helps if your boss is as busy as you are..)

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #17 of 96 Old 03-24-2020, 05:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 3344 Post(s)
Liked: 2209
Quote:
Originally Posted by madhuski View Post
I’m not working at home, but it is eery driving during mid-week rush hour and seeing the highways empty

Indeed! It's like all of the jacka$$ drivers in Silicon Valley have disappeared! Truly a wonderful thing.....
rramacha likes this.

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
post #18 of 96 Old 03-24-2020, 05:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1980 Post(s)
Liked: 5811
Not me. I'm a store manager for Shoprite (supermarket) and I'm still working six days a week.
It's still busy mostly in the mornings, trucks are all running way behind.
One thing that really bothers me is I'm seeing familiar faces every day in here when they should just stock up once and stay the hell home.
SuperFist, whipit and avtvhdbass like this.
post #19 of 96 Old 03-24-2020, 06:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
In time the shiny toy aspect of Skype goes away, we find a useful tool for collaboration if you have a team working on something. When people learn to use Skype properly you'll get less interruptions. (it also helps if your boss is as busy as you are..)
Oh trust me... I wasn't gushing about it or anything... I hate that damn app! It is the bane of my existence at this point. I did manage to make a case for my mission critical project and I am hereby exempt from meetings for 2 weeks, but the agony shall return in the future... and it will be too soon!
post #20 of 96 Old 03-24-2020, 06:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 1463 Post(s)
Liked: 2362
Working from home full time until this thing is over, but usually go into the office 4 times a week and WFH once a week. Much prefer working in the office as I like to be around people.
post #21 of 96 Old 03-24-2020, 07:16 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Do you like it?

Let's see some pictures of your WFH setup!

What challenges are you running into?
Good thread Mike,
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0071.PNG  
post #22 of 96 Old 03-24-2020, 09:43 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 169
I've worked from home for a few years now, so it's not new to me. I'm more productive, and I have a standing desk on wheels that I can position just right to play multi-channel music while I work.
post #23 of 96 Old 03-25-2020, 03:41 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 1861 Post(s)
Liked: 3681
working from home here and loving it
we notice a dramatic reduction in the number of planes coming into/ out of the New York airports: air traffic appears to be way down.
SuperFist likes this.

please take the high road in every post:do not respond to or quote a problematic post: report it
HDMI.org:what a mess HDCP = Hollywood's Draconian Copy Protection system
LG C9 OLED owner

post #24 of 96 Old 03-25-2020, 09:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

Same here. My job's webmaster quit abruptly after an argument with the CIO back in 2012. They sent an email out looking for anyone with webmaster experience; apparently my personal PHP experience meant my boss came to me and said "guess what, you're now the webmaster". I said well, do I get a pay bump? Nope. OK, then no, I'm not the webmaster. She said well, no pay bump, but you can work from home. I'm SO becoming webmaster! lol I find though that working from home means I consider myself "on the clock" 24x7. Any time an email comes in, I handle it no matter what time it is. Results in more work per week than when I was in the office. Not that I mind; I'm the kind of geek who likes programming for fun so I love the work and I'd much MUCH rather deal with that than the $500/mo on fuel and parking and having to get up early and deal with rush hour traffic. Plus a lot of saved money from no longer eating out downtown for lunch.

I have an HTC Vive Pro and really enjoy it; I told my boss now that most of the crew is working from home that they should pony up and buy everyone VR gear so we can do meetings in a VR space lol
markmon1 and SuperFist like this.
post #25 of 96 Old 03-25-2020, 03:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strahan View Post
*snip*
I have an HTC Vive Pro and really enjoy it; I told my boss now that most of the crew is working from home that they should pony up and buy everyone VR gear so we can do meetings in a VR space lol
I don't know if I'd like that...but I know it's coming. I have a love/hate relationship with it, though. I think as we further matrix-ify ourselves we lose some of our humanity. Virtual people are easier to treat poorly than someone right in front of you...seems especially so as we age. I honestly don't want to think what a 100% virtual world would do to us, but I don't want my daughters growing up in it! Would make dealing with boyfriends easier, though, hahaha!
SuperFist likes this.
post #26 of 96 Old 03-26-2020, 03:26 PM

Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 880
Im a field guy that was brought into the office , so naturally I kind of hate the office. I found comfort in my position and made the best of it by finding all the local lunch brewerys and bikini bars , so thats what kept me going. Now , all those damn places are shut and im stuck in my damn office because I really dont want to go out if not necessary even though I think I just went thru the virus these past few weeks. Im just itching to work from home.....
SuperFist likes this.
post #27 of 96 Old 03-26-2020, 03:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 949 Post(s)
Liked: 1394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strahan View Post
Same here. My job's webmaster quit abruptly after an argument with the CIO back in 2012. They sent an email out looking for anyone with webmaster experience; apparently my personal PHP experience meant my boss came to me and said "guess what, you're now the webmaster". I said well, do I get a pay bump? Nope. OK, then no, I'm not the webmaster. She said well, no pay bump, but you can work from home. I'm SO becoming webmaster! lol I find though that working from home means I consider myself "on the clock" 24x7. Any time an email comes in, I handle it no matter what time it is. Results in more work per week than when I was in the office. Not that I mind; I'm the kind of geek who likes programming for fun so I love the work and I'd much MUCH rather deal with that than the $500/mo on fuel and parking and having to get up early and deal with rush hour traffic. Plus a lot of saved money from no longer eating out downtown for lunch.

Just don't put 'webmaster' on your resume, you'll get laughed back to the 90s
SuperFist and charmerci like this.
post #28 of 96 Old 03-27-2020, 04:51 PM

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 86
I have been working from home for the past year, so it’s not new to me. What is new is an absolute avalanche of work. And I work and work and work. Keep thinking I’m going to take a day off, then feel guilty and feel like I’ll thank myself later for getting more done. I am feeling burn out happening, but I keep thinking that I need to get while the gettings good. That things may slow down and so will the income. But damn, do I need a day off. Even an evening off. My wife and kids are bored and stir crazy and I am the exact opposite of bored.
SuperFist likes this.
post #29 of 96 Old 03-27-2020, 06:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWarrior View Post
Meh, I'll never understand my own social proclivities. Hate people, can't be without them, still hate most of them anyway...but maybe I really don't hate them, ugh...I'm a messed up individual.

You're not alone, I've been practicing social distancing long before it was "a thing".
SuperFist likes this.
post #30 of 96 Old 03-28-2020, 07:03 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked: 7714
Quote:
Do you like it?
Been working from home for 17 years, love it ! As above, I've been practicing social distancing long for a long time.

---Stay safe everyone.
SuperFist and RagtopFE like this.

Last edited by Cleveland Plasma; 03-28-2020 at 07:43 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Coronavirus Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page