How has the "Virus" affected your H/T Changes/Up-Grades ??? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 16Likes

post #1 of 37 Old 03-25-2020, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Liked: 1320
Question How has the "Virus" affected your H/T Changes/Up-Grades ???

AVS and Guest to AVS,

As I have seen and heard so many major changes here in the USA as well as the World affecting personal incomes.

I have been considering doing a separate thread here to see what all of you think and what you are or not doing regarding your Home Theaters and Media Rooms ???

Would you still have done your most recent Changes/Up-Grades if you even had a Hint about the severity of how this virus has effected the world???

I say the above and ask what your thoughts are based on how many Major Companies/Corporations are either Totally-Closed or Semi-Closed.

That ^^^ obviously means thousands upon thousands and more than likely in the millions are going to be financially negatively affected.

I can also envision the smaller/medium A/V Businesses possibly closing as they cannot weather long-term expenses with virtually No-New-Business.

This is a Hobby and as many-many of us know in many cases a very-very-very Expensive Hobby !!!

All of your thoughts, opinions and input are certainly welcome as I think all of us on the AVS Internet Site will be interested.

I personally look forward to us having open discussions on the above so hope a lot of you will join in with what's going on with you or others you know in regards to this Hobby, Home Theater & Media Areas/Rooms.

Terry in the USA

rossandwendy likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 03-25-2020, 09:14 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 289 Post(s)
Quoted: 14006 Post(s)
Liked: 11680
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
If anything, history has shown us there will be an end to this mess. The question is when will that happen? As for spending, we are spending less because we are not going out doing much, but I did order a new Screen Excellence Trim masking screen for my HT.
sdrucker likes this.
post #3 of 37 Old 03-25-2020, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
If anything, history has shown us there will be an end to this mess. The question is when will that happen? As for spending, we are spending less because we are not going out doing much, but I did order a new Screen Excellence Trim masking screen for my HT.
Mike,

Well buddy in my case I'm sticking to my changes like glue.

But ............

I really do think some of us are in the small minority financially to do really costly up-grades like I'm having done.
In my case I did wait until (We) had the extra monies to do what I wanted done that would have Zero Bearing on our Daily Lives.

I do realize there is another older dedicated thread on the Virus but it seems it's members are getting more argumentative with one another as time passes.
So, I thought I'd do a separate thread and all of us just discuss Changes/Up-Dates on the USA and World based on Monies available.

Terry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 37 Old 03-25-2020, 10:47 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I've put some construction work and equipment demos on hold, as most stores are closed anyway. But other than that, no difference for now.

- Stephan
post #5 of 37 Old 03-25-2020, 12:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1334 Post(s)
Liked: 4592
Nothing related to AV has changed for me. Still ordering DVD/BD/4K videos and CDs. Happy with equipment, a blend of old and newer, no pressing needs, knock on metal.

Stay safe everyone. Short-term patience is long-term success. FWIW my wife and I will resist overtures to veer from the present course, until health officials say otherwise. May the good folk on the frontline get the supplies they so desperately need.

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B

"I watch a lot of movies, I know what I'm doing." - Daniel Lugo
post #6 of 37 Old 03-25-2020, 01:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1445 Post(s)
Liked: 959
If I knew about a certain ETF that tracked the DOW in reverse, I'd have put $100k into them, cashed out, and did it again in reverse elsewhere. I'd have had tons of money for upgrades off the backs of the scared.... You know, something like some senators I've been hearing about .
pilotart and nonstopdoc1 like this.
post #7 of 37 Old 03-25-2020, 04:11 PM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Mentioned: 386 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4340 Post(s)
Liked: 2154
Send a message via Skype™ to MississippiMan
I have 1 major Commercial job been put on hold until April 14th (3 PJs - 3 Screens ). The Client responsibly banned all outside Contractors from the Plant early last week. About the same time I finished up my sole remaining local HT project.

I'm still "carefully" answering courtesy A/V Service Calls, asking my Customers to keep a "social distance" and carrying a large Jar of Clorox Anti-Viral Wipes in my Car to use "wherever" my hands go. I feel I kinda gotta try to help, because like so many of us, these people are really stressed, and get almost frantic at the prospect of losing their escapist entertainment.

But even so I'm really feeling the same pressure that any "responsible" individual would /should, to not subject myself or others to undue risks, so after this Friday I've decided to be self-imposed restricted-to-home except for critically essential trips out.

"They said it couldn't be done. Well, we sure showed 'em otherwise!"
HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings
post #8 of 37 Old 03-30-2020, 08:14 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked: 399
It's an interesting question. My wife is not a huge fan of me continually pouring money into the HT pastime so I try to go 3-4 years between upgrades and in early January I got the go-ahead to order my first JVC projector and then a Stewart screen, two dream pieces for me. Had we known about the coming crisis and stock market craziness I am quite sure we would not have felt comfortable spending the 5.8k for the upgrades and it would likely have been delayed about a year. But, no regrets, as I've been enjoying movie after movie with the amazing JVC picture quality that blows away my previous PJ's, and I expect PQ to be upgraded an additional notch with the Stewart that arrives this week.

I feel grateful to have the art form of cinema available to me in my home (especially during these tense times) because there is no price I can put on the joy and inspiration received from watching favorite films. And now that the distancing guidelines have been extended through all of April, and so many travel destinations closed, I'm especially glad to have HT (my wife does also enjoy watching with me).

Cheers,
Ross

SOURCE: multi-region Oppo BDP-103D & BDP-83

Last edited by rossandwendy; 03-30-2020 at 08:17 AM.
post #9 of 37 Old 03-31-2020, 03:18 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1360 Post(s)
Liked: 1489
I've been procrastinating about buying a new high end 4K TV for the last year or so, money wasn't an issue till now.... I guess now I have a legitimate excuse.

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

You want true diversity? Champion the diversity of thoughts!

The Hun
post #10 of 37 Old 03-31-2020, 03:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked: 558
Well, my HT has been set for years and years now, but I did just buy a new (to me) suv and invested almost a grand in the infotainment system. Not sure I would have gone the best as I did had I known this was coming. We'll be alright, I just would have liked to see that extra grand in the bank is all.
Panson likes this.

Main: Mitsubishi 73736|OTA|fireTV|Sony BDP-S1100|Denon AVR4311CI|MartinLogan Preface|Phantom|MartinLogan Encore TF|1-1000watt & 1-500watt DIY 12" Subs|2 Bass Shaker|APC H15 Power Conditioner|Harmony Hub|Sennheiser RS 160|SMSL B1 BT Rx|Linksys SE2500
MBR: Vizio VF550M|OTA|fireTV3|Sony BDP-S1100|Denon AVR-X1000|Chane A1rx-c|Phantom|Dayton SAT-BK|MartinLogan Dynamo 300|Belkin PF30|Harmony 550
post #11 of 37 Old 03-31-2020, 03:41 PM

Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 106
I am pretty set for now, could use 2 subs for the bedroom but those are on hold for now. Just sitting tight as my wife and I may be out of work till end of May. She doesn't go back to work maybe till June and my wedding season may also not start till then. Just watching the stock market and buying in there instead.
Squirrel! and Panson like this.

[Bed] Speakers: Martin Logan Motion 40 | Receiver: Peachtree Decco125 Sky | [Living] Speakers: B&W 804 Diamonds | Pre-Amp: Parasound P6 | Amp: Rotel RB-1582 MKII | Subwoofers: 2x REL T5i | [Office] Speakers: B&W CM6 S2 Bookshelves + ML Dynamo 300 sub | Receiver: Yamaha R-N803 | [Theater] Speakers: 2x Polk Audio LSiM 707 Towers + 706C Center + 4x 703 Bookshelves + 2x rc60i Ceiling + 2x Martin Logan Depth i | Receiver: Yamaha RX-A3070
post #12 of 37 Old 04-01-2020, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

April 1st guys,

I have read all your comments and they all make perfect sense as this Virus thing keeps on going.

Speaking for myself I think I would have still done exactly what I did as far as making the decisions.
My reasoning is that Steve Colburn that was at Triad speakers has now retired.
He was one of the Major-Player's in regards to what I went with.

Also, I very recently purchased 4 SVS PB-4000 subs from Best Buy (Magnolia Center).
Thank goodness I didn't put that off as many of you probably have seen and read they No-Longer deliver to inside your house.
Each SVS PB-4000 sub weighs a very-healthy 174 Lbs as shipped.
Since I ordered before the Virus situation HIT they did deliver and also placed the 4 of them in my living room.

Sometimes timing is everything ..........

We (Cathy) and I have briefly touched on the cost of all the Changes/Up-Grades of course.
But, we both agree we did it at the best time based on every aspect of it.

The Atmos System Project has not taken place.

But, items are arriving at and the 6 Custom in-ceiling are to ship on the 3rd.

So just maybe at the end of this month or next month based on everything arriving and their work schedule the installs will take place.

Terry
Panson likes this.
post #13 of 37 Old 04-01-2020, 02:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 106
I ordered a Roku box to add to my HT so I can waste more time perusing the various streaming channels.
post #14 of 37 Old 04-01-2020, 03:20 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 52
I sold my AV8805 beginning of the month and placed my order for Lyngdorf MP-60 yesterday. I would not have done if I have to draw money of my investments as market is trending low.

With social distancing extended it would be crazy to have a media room with JVC NX7 and KScape Strato not getting used. I was originally thinking of JBL but their processor seems to have too many issues.
post #15 of 37 Old 04-04-2020, 07:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 918 Post(s)
Liked: 390
I put in 6K in my IRA (for 2019) just before filing my taxes. Few days later its worth 4K. Talk about bad timing. Should have bought the Dirac processor for my HT instead.

Well as long as I am not retiring, its just a number on the screen.

HT - Seymour Centerstage XD 2.39:1 133" W| JVC X790R | JBL SDP-55 | Nord NC500 | ATI AT528NC | Procella P8/P5V | Revel C763L | Monolith 12" x4
Living Room - LG OLED 65" | Denon X4400H | Monolith 3x200 | KEF Q900 L/R | Paradigm Millenia 20 CC | Polk Surrounds | Rythmik FV15HP x2
post #16 of 37 Old 04-04-2020, 07:25 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 1847 Post(s)
Liked: 1571
Actually, in light of the coronavirus, investing in my HT was probably one of the smarter things I did. With a six year old at home we had already cut our moviegoing down before the pandemic hit, mostly to better put our money into sitters for seeing live music at a few local clubs. But with COVID-19, we're set to enjoy old favorites and new releases on Netflix, Amazon, Disney+, and Apple TV with at least as good sound as we might have in a multiplex.

There's more work I should do with my HT for acoustic treatments and finally pulling the trigger on a Lumagen Radiance Pro, but with 13.4.6, the Trinnov, and a JVC RS600, and three people to satisfy, we're more than set with what we have right now.

About the consumer A/V industry, I have no idea what might happen next. You might see less innovation and even more shakeout of the larger manufacturers as the sound bar/streaming becomes a dominant form of enjoying entertainment. Or with social distancing, higher end HT with online sales, boutique players with a solid product, and community forums like this one might become more influential than they already are. I do think commercial cinema is going to take a hit that might push even more streaming but that could expand interest in HT as older people used to a cinema experience want to replicate what they can't get as readily by doing HT at home. Who knows. But there are likely going to be a LOT of small business casualties. I'd also be surprised if the CEDIA Expo in Denver moves forward in the form it was in before 2020.

As to the rest, I'm not planning on retiring for a good 15 years, so I hope that we can wait this out and take advantage of whatever economic recovery there is in later 2020 or 2021.

Audio Gear: Trinnov Altitude 32 (24 channel), NAD M27 amps (3)
Video: JVC RS600, Seymour 100" UF Screen, Lumagen Radiance Pro 4444 (coming soon)
Speakers: PSB Imagine T3 LCR, Imagine T Wides/Side Surround 1, T2 Side Surrounds, Imagine XB rears, Image B6 screens, PSB CS1000 ceilings (6), HSU ULS-15 Mk 2 subs (4) - 13.4.6
HAA HT1 and HT2 Certification

Last edited by sdrucker; 04-04-2020 at 07:31 PM.
post #17 of 37 Old 04-05-2020, 04:22 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 261
I had no plans of upgrades very soon, I'm just so happy I have this theater right now lol.

I was pondering a new display later this year. You guys think tv prices will go up because of supply issues, or down because of demand?
post #18 of 37 Old 04-05-2020, 10:38 AM

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 311
This year no upgrades for me, my last upgrade was in march 2019. Taking this time to tune-up the theater.
I was looking at adding two more near field subs, this can wait.

what-i-d-do-differently-next-timehttps://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...l#post55641388
Epson Projector Power Supply Failure.https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-dig...lure-rate.html
post #19 of 37 Old 04-05-2020, 07:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 83
I finished up our HT in December and got on Chad B’s list. He was going to be in my area in March. In the meantime I think our JVC rs600 throws a beautiful picture. I just hope everyone stays safe and healthy. I’ll wait as long as it takes.
post #20 of 37 Old 04-25-2020, 11:16 PM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I am an anesthesiologist and 80% of revenue gone because all elective surgery cancelled. Just staying home most days, or go innand work 2-4 hours sometimes. So decided to upgrade the home theater which was becoming obsolete. Bought a jvc nx5 last week. Love it. Waiting for new screen (going from 100” Silver screen to 112” grandview). So had to save some money and no Atmos, no 9+ channel receiver for now.

Interestingly, right now on “Covid call” where i stay in hospital x 24 hours just to intubate Covid patients. Make $110/ hour. Sadly only get one of these calls every 2 weeks. Have never done a Covid intubation yet. Just Playstation, movies, books. Covid totally overhyped. A good friend is an attorney and he is loading trucks now to pay the bills as all courtrooms shut down. I think 2 Covid patients in my hospital. Seems to be no perspective with all the salaried people demanding everyone else quit working. I would like to see the salaried people share in the loss. Big news: 350 million people in US. All 350 million will die. Not so many from Covid though.
post #21 of 37 Old 04-25-2020, 11:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked: 260
For me, the virus is a double edged sword. On the one hand it threatens some of my income for an extended period of time, so I should be saving or more cautious.

On the other hand, it has led to significant savings being possible for various equipment and I've already taken advantage of some of that, and will do more shortly if certain stars align.

It's also given me time at home to think more about the home cinema and exactly how I want it to be finished.
Azekecse likes this.

---------------

My build thread
post #22 of 37 Old 04-26-2020, 05:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkyonion View Post
I am an anesthesiologist and 80% of revenue gone because all elective surgery cancelled. Just staying home most days, or go innand work 2-4 hours sometimes. So decided to upgrade the home theater which was becoming obsolete. Bought a jvc nx5 last week. Love it. Waiting for new screen (going from 100” Silver screen to 112” grandview). So had to save some money and no Atmos, no 9+ channel receiver for now.

Interestingly, right now on “Covid call” where i stay in hospital x 24 hours just to intubate Covid patients. Make $110/ hour. Sadly only get one of these calls every 2 weeks. Have never done a Covid intubation yet. Just Playstation, movies, books. Covid totally overhyped. A good friend is an attorney and he is loading trucks now to pay the bills as all courtrooms shut down. I think 2 Covid patients in my hospital. Seems to be no perspective with all the salaried people demanding everyone else quit working. I would like to see the salaried people share in the loss. Big news: 350 million people in US. All 350 million will die. Not so many from Covid though.

It's highly dependent on where you are. I live in CT. As of yesterday, we had 1,810 people in the hospital due to covid-19, 1,862 deaths. The number in the hospital due to covid-19 is going down, that's a decrease of 67 patients from the day before. 98 people died Friday/Saturday from covid-19. Also, even in the state, the numbers are concentrated into (basically) three areas. If you're in one of those areas, you have plenty of work. We know a family in my town where the dad (younger than me, with kids similar to the ages of my kids) went into the ICU weeks ago. We do not know the outcome. In my county, there are 10,373 cases and 689 deaths, as of yesterday.

But you can take a look at this and see where the meat packing plants in the US are shutting down due to covid-19:

https://www.foodpolitics.com/2020/04...d-its-workers/

Quote:
The meat processing industry, where workers toil shoulder to shoulder in crowded, enclosed spaces, has been battered by the novel coronavirus in recent days. Multiple plants have closed after several thousand workers fell ill and tested positive for COVID-19 and a dozen have died—including three other workers at the JBS plant in Greeley, one at a Cargill plant in Fort Morgan, Colorado, four at a Tyson plant in Camilla, Georgia, two at another Tyson plant in Columbus Junction, Iowa, one at another JBS plant in Souderton, Pennsylvania, and one at the Smithfield pork factory in Sioux Falls, South Dakota. As of Wednesday, the Smithfield plant had become the country’s top COVID hotspot, with more than 640 cases linked to the plant.

Bob
post #23 of 37 Old 04-26-2020, 05:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 1656 Post(s)
Liked: 1118
Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkyonion View Post

what area do you practice?

we’ve been pretty steady in minneapolis - average 1-2 new icu cases a day last 10-14 days. We’re starting to wean/extubate our first arrivals, but even still are running a census of 28 intubated covid patients out of 65 ICU beds.
post #24 of 37 Old 04-26-2020, 11:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Upgrade halted due to no place to buy vynil, spandex, dacron or black velvet ditto for trying to buy mdf, drillbits, screws, etc all not to mention the panic of most due to dropping supplies of most beer and liquors.

Denon 4k avr, diy tla Behringer nx3000 dsp Fi car audio ib318 v2 310 cubic foot concrete ib lg 4k hu70la projector.steren projector mount upgraded at diy 135 inch screen sixteen subwoofers ten inch diameter boss build .
Pending buy quality dome midrange 1240 cubic foot ib for 16 fi car audio ib318 v2 subwoofers 4 nx3000 dsp
post #25 of 37 Old 04-28-2020, 08:10 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyWilkinson View Post
For me, the virus is a double edged sword. On the one hand it threatens some of my income for an extended period of time, so I should be saving or more cautious.

On the other hand, it has led to significant savings being possible for various equipment and I've already taken advantage of some of that, and will do more shortly if certain stars align.

It's also given me time at home to think more about the home cinema and exactly how I want it to be finished.
I know the feeling...Jupiter aligned with Mars, and I got a fantastic deal on a JVC NX-7/Paladin DCR Lens (~55% off), when I was still allowed inside the store. Not smiling about the $$$, but I am still smiling at the upgrade in performance.

I would love to get a Stewart G4 screen, but I will wait, my current screen Da-Lite Scope screen (another great deal, $500.00 out the door), will suffice, unless of course the stars once again align. This would most likely require intervention from Don Stewart . PM me Don .

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Marantz SR7011: 7.4.4 Martin Logan Edges (4: FR/FL/SR/SL) Martin Logan Axis (2: SBL/SBR) Martin Logan Stage X (Center) Martin Logan 1500X Sub (2) Martin Logan 1100X Sub (2) Sonance VP86R SST/SUR (4: Dolby Atmos) JVC NX-7/DaLite 125" 2:35:1 Scope Screen; Paladin DCR

Last edited by Azekecse; 04-28-2020 at 08:20 AM.
post #26 of 37 Old 04-29-2020, 09:44 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I am lucky enough to be able to work at home and my state has a low count. I’m considering upgrading my tv to 4K, my current one is probably 5 years old or more, trying to guess whether prices will go up or more sales to combat the no foot traffic issue
post #27 of 37 Old 05-02-2020, 05:01 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Yep, working from home I reconfigured my computer space, moved my Kef Q150s from the living room to the desktop with some isolation pads... also a good excuse to upgrade computer components.

Continuing to scour for AV upgrades in part because we're no longer paying for childcare... huge savings.
post #28 of 37 Old 05-03-2020, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by chele519 View Post
I am lucky enough to be able to work at home and my state has a low count.
I’m considering upgrading my tv to 4K, my current one is probably 5 years old or more,
trying to guess whether prices will go up or more sales to combat the no foot traffic issue
You might fine the below of interest on TV's ???

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchp...=960&keys=keys

Terry
Panson likes this.
post #29 of 37 Old 05-03-2020, 11:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1334 Post(s)
Liked: 4592
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerhonaker View Post
You might find the below of interest on TV's ???

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchp...=960&keys=keys

Terry
Sony - 85" Class - LED - Z9G MASTER Series. 5K off, but still a big gulp buy.

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B

"I watch a lot of movies, I know what I'm doing." - Daniel Lugo
post #30 of 37 Old 05-03-2020, 10:31 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Wife and I are working from home. Recently upgraded router to the new ASUS RT-AX89X (we have gigabit fiber with no data limits), invested in Roon and added a Cambridge Audio CXN v2.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Coronavirus Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page