post #2 of 48 Old 04-06-2020, 08:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3337 Post(s)
Liked: 2203
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris6878 View Post

OUCH. That would suck. AMC is about the only game in town, at least near me. There are a few others, but not overly fond of them.

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
post #3 of 48 Old 04-06-2020, 08:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1157 Post(s)
Liked: 668
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris6878 View Post
That sucks, we don't have AMC here. But when I see things like "Netflix, Hulu, and more recently, Disney+," it always throws red flags up to me. I am sorry, but those services have NOT had a major impact on theater ticket sales. I will tell you why, because for the most part, unless you buy digital copies of movies theater releases show up on those services AFTER a DVD release. There ARE a few factor's driving theater going down, cost first and foremost, a good part of that is driven by the huge percentages that studios demand for the first week or 2 after release, which is many cases can be in the high %80 of ticket price, which drives the end user, us, price up and is why concessions are so darn expensive. Theaters had a lot of overhead, employees, rent utilities, upgrades to equipment either studios or others demand. But the REAL killer of ticket sales, is the Theater release to DVD release gap. That has gone down CONSIDERABLY in the last decade or more. Take Jurassic Park as an example of a fairly newish movie. Its theater release was June 11, 1993 it didn't hit home video until October 4, 1994, almost a year and a half later. If you wanted to see it, you HAD to go to the theater. Now the gap is mere months, take the last Star Wars, it was released in December 2019, and on DVD March 31, 2020, 3 freaking months. That's nothing as far as wait time is concerned. This pandemic we have right now is murder on many businesses. Movie theaters, bars, resturants etc. The long terms affects have yet to be seen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 48 Old 04-06-2020, 08:59 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Let's hope they first look at operational opportunities. So many of the locations have 12-24 screens but only 3-4 are actually every truly operating at profitability/capacity. Definitely suffering from the bigger-is-better operations strategy when there aren't even more than a handful of good movies out at any time. What they should be targeting is making the theater a real outing experience.

People will go back to theaters if the movies are worthwhile and the experience is better.

They might even need to be thinking theater + streaming (platform agnostic) combinations that movie makers are going to have to partner with as well.
head_unit likes this.
post #5 of 48 Old 04-06-2020, 12:26 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 261
Quote:
The analysts continued that they would need “a view that the box office would return to normalized levels in 2021.” This is a long shot, as film production studios have announced that they will be skipping theatrical releases entirely for certain upcoming movies, further hurting the box office.
How will this affect home theater? If movie theaters begin to die, and people see new releases at home only, will producers put much effort into things like Atmos and great sound ... when most people are watching the film for the first time on their LCDs speakers or some headphones?
skylarlove1999 likes this.
post #6 of 48 Old 04-06-2020, 01:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjunadeep View Post
How will this affect home theater? If movie theaters begin to die, and people see new releases at home only, will producers put much effort into things like Atmos and great sound ... when most people are watching the film for the first time on their LCDs speakers or some headphones?
That is an unfortunate possibility. But I think there might still be a market for theaters, but it just might be smaller, to the point where you have most small towns that do not have a theater and you have to go to larger cities, say with populations over 250k to see a movie, and that will just drive sales down even further. Personally I think there needs to be a push for LESS tech, in movies. Run a 2 tiered system, smaller less tech advanced theaters running something simple like a 5.1 or 7.1 and then larger top of the line full blown atmos theaters in markets than can support them. I remember the days when you still had small local theaters, we had a couple "dollar" theaters in my town, no they weren't super up to date with tech and what not but you still got a good experience. The thing is directors, like James Cameron, still try and push the boundaries for movies, and that's all fine and good but that is NOT cheap for theater owners to have to upgrade over and over. I mean what you had Ang Lee's Gemini Man, where he stated there was not a theater in the USA even equipped to show it as intended. Thats crazy, and it's not like there is a huge market for used theater equipment
anjunadeep likes this.
post #7 of 48 Old 04-06-2020, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I'd hate it. AMC close to me has the Dolby theater and Imax. I love goin in the middle of the week or in the morning to get that "all mine " experience. My home theater cant replicate the experience.
chitchatjf and RobKnapp like this.
post #8 of 48 Old 04-06-2020, 04:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1365 Post(s)
Liked: 4700
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardennj View Post
Let's hope they first look at operational opportunities. So many of the locations have 12-24 screens but only 3-4 are actually every truly operating at profitability/capacity. Definitely suffering from the bigger-is-better operations strategy when there aren't even more than a handful of good movies out at any time. What they should be targeting is making the theater a real outing experience.

People will go back to theaters if the movies are worthwhile and the experience is better.

They might even need to be thinking theater + streaming (platform agnostic) combinations that movie makers are going to have to partner with as well.
I'd go to theaters for non-movie fare, such as various sports (no cage-fighting, please) and music. I don't know how many others would anymore.

The trouble is everyone in promotion and distribution wants to get rich and retire tomorrow. That's not going to happen with stupid ticket prices. So, a stalemate of nothing happening and theater closures.

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B

"I watch a lot of movies, I know what I'm doing." - Daniel Lugo
post #9 of 48 Old 04-07-2020, 09:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked: 965
Quote:
Originally Posted by liffie420 View Post
*snip* Run a 2 tiered system, smaller less tech advanced theaters running something simple like a 5.1 or 7.1 and then larger top of the line full blown atmos theaters in markets than can support them. I remember the days when you still had small local theaters, we had a couple "dollar" theaters in my town, no they weren't super up to date with tech and what not but you still got a good experience.*snip*
I think a two-tiered system would be nice, but unsure how it'd play out. I have often thought it'd be cool to establish a nice "dinner and a movie" theater. Smallish screen, fewer people, give them some good food and drinks then show them a movie. Alas, the cost to get the movies is prohibitive and so the model doesn't work in my area (it may work elsewhere).
post #10 of 48 Old 04-07-2020, 10:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWarrior View Post
I think a two-tiered system would be nice, but unsure how it'd play out. I have often thought it'd be cool to establish a nice "dinner and a movie" theater. Smallish screen, fewer people, give them some good food and drinks then show them a movie. Alas, the cost to get the movies is prohibitive and so the model doesn't work in my area (it may work elsewhere).
Truth of the matter I don't know if it would ever work. Although with the shut down as it is right now, maybe it could convince studios to take a smaller cut of the ticket price leave some meat on the bone for theaters. Everything is stacked against theaters though and its mostly the studios fault. They require %80 of the ticket price the first couple weeks, they demand newer and newer tech to show their products, they demand a short home release window. Like theaters only have maybe a month and a half to get any real money in their pockets from showing movie X, and even then that comes at a time when daily viewings are going down anyway. Hell I think the biggest thing to help theaters, which is a down side to me as I still buy movie on disc, is extend the time from theater to home release, stop this 3 month gap and go 6 or 9 months more like it used to be. So if you WANT to see a movie your only real option for almost a year is to see it in a theater. As for your dinner and a movie type theater Alamo Drafthouse is along those lines
post #11 of 48 Old 04-07-2020, 10:30 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1661 Post(s)
Liked: 2313
I think this was inevitable but the lock-down hastened it. When I was in LA I went to Broadway I wanted to see the Bradbury building and looking down that street at all the marquees more than a dozen I think old theaters along the street none of them theaters. My heart just sank thinking about that time gone by and what those places would have meant to people in those days.

Art
post #12 of 48 Old 04-07-2020, 10:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn View Post
I think this was inevitable but the lock-down hastened it. When I was in LA I went to Broadway I wanted to see the Bradbury building and looking down that street at all the marquees more than a dozen I think old theaters along the street none of them theaters. My heart just sank thinking about that time gone by and what those places would have meant to people in those days.

Art
I think it is just so hard, to make money running a theater anymore. MY grandparents ran a small town theater in Liberty Texas in the 40's and 50's, but you can't do something like that anymore. There is no "room" for a small theater anymore, either your a massive multiplex or your dirt. I miss the old "dollar" theater we had, 2 of the actually. Only 2 or 3 screens max showing last run movies, but those are all gone. You can't support smaller places like that when you have a total of 3 months to bleed a movie dry before everyone can buy it on disc or stream it.
post #13 of 48 Old 04-07-2020, 10:40 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked: 274
Maybe smaller and more epic theaters will grow from this after it's all over. Until then, go golfing and pretend nothing is wrong.
post #14 of 48 Old 04-07-2020, 01:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1365 Post(s)
Liked: 4700
Quote:
Originally Posted by wookiegr View Post
Maybe smaller and more epic theaters will grow from this after it's all over. Until then, go golfing and pretend nothing is wrong.
Can't do that either. No fun world.

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B

"I watch a lot of movies, I know what I'm doing." - Daniel Lugo
post #15 of 48 Old 04-07-2020, 01:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Well, when they release all movies direct-to-stream, we'll all just have to start charging "beer" and "food" to watch it in our home theaters. There exists more than one on this forum I'd "pay" to watch in...they may not allow my kids though, haha.

edit: after some of what I've posted, they may not allow "me" either, .
post #16 of 48 Old 04-07-2020, 11:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked: 1488
Sounds quite sad places are closing down and all..........

When you stop watching what they want you to watch you stop thinking what they want you to think.. Then you see a world that is nothing like they tell you it is.
post #17 of 48 Old 04-08-2020, 07:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 931 Post(s)
Liked: 403
Another reason IMO is the sheer amount of relatively good content we have now on streaming and TV. With everyone competing with each other, the quality of TV shows has improved markedly with high production value, big stars with household name recognition anchoring shows and much improved special effects. People are not limited to movies when it comes to high quality entertainment options now.

HT - Seymour Centerstage XD 2.39:1 133" W| JVC X790R | JBL SDP-55 | Nord NC500 | ATI AT528NC | Procella P8/P5V | Revel C763L | Monolith 12" x4
Living Room - LG OLED 65" | Denon X4400H | Monolith 3x200 | KEF Q900 L/R | Paradigm Millenia 20 CC | Polk Surrounds | Rythmik FV15HP x2
post #18 of 48 Old 04-08-2020, 08:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Quoted: 4491 Post(s)
Liked: 4109
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonstopdoc1 View Post
Another reason IMO is the sheer amount of relatively good content we have now on streaming and TV. With everyone competing with each other, the quality of TV shows has improved markedly with high production value, big stars with household name recognition anchoring shows and much improved special effects. People are not limited to movies when it comes to high quality entertainment options now.
Great observation. Streaming content in particular has been seriously eroding movie theater viability in the same way that online shopping has been eroding brick and mortar store viability. Both of those trends are simply being accelerated by the stay at home orders. Many of the weaker movie theaters and brick and mortar stores that would have eventually gone under are simply not going to come back after the pandemic due to the acceleration of their eventual demise.
post #19 of 48 Old 04-08-2020, 09:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
Great observation. Streaming content in particular has been seriously eroding movie theater viability in the same way that online shopping has been eroding brick and mortar store viability. Both of those trends are simply being accelerated by the stay at home orders. Many of the weaker movie theaters and brick and mortar stores that would have eventually gone under are simply not going to come back after the pandemic due to the acceleration of their eventual demise.

Lord Bezos is most pleased.....

Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Subwoofers:
post #20 of 48 Old 04-08-2020, 09:58 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Liked: 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post

streaming content and the fact it’s $30 for a pair of tickets and another $30 for the snackbar for a large tub and 2 drinks.

it’s too expensive to go to the theater, when you can buy the title in 4k and make better snacks for much cheaper...but do it for an entire family movie night.

my family and i (4 of us) would much rather have movie night with some steaks on the grill at home with the theater system.

personal preference, but i just cant see going to the movies anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LG 55C8, Pioneer Elite VSX-LX503, Panamax M5400, Microsoft Xbox One X, Nvidia Shield Pro
Definitive Technology: BP9060 Front left/right/CS9040 center/A90 front Atmos/ProMonitor 800 rear Atmos/SR9040 surround left/right
Rythmik FVX15
post #21 of 48 Old 04-08-2020, 10:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MATTHEW PATIENT View Post
streaming content and the fact it’s $30 for a pair of tickets and another $30 for the snackbar for a large tub and 2 drinks.

it’s too expensive to go to the theater, when you can buy the title in 4k and make better snacks for much cheaper...but do it for an entire family movie night.

my family and i (4 of us) would much rather have movie night with some steaks on the grill at home with the theater system.

I agree, a total rip-off. That said, it's hard to replace the experience. There's just something about it - the big screen, sharing it with others (so long as it's a good audience....), just getting out, you know? Not everyone's cup of tea, but I'd much prefer seeing a movie I really want to see on the big screen as opposed to home theater. I kick myself for failing to get to Blade Runner 2049 in the theater.
skylarlove1999 and head_unit like this.

Mains:
ATMOS:
Subwoofers:
post #22 of 48 Old 04-08-2020, 11:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 909 Post(s)
Liked: 6654
Thumbs up

When I was growing up we had to big Movie Theaters on the same block. RKO and Lowes. Both were huge seating about 700-1000 people. Not only were the movies but sometimes the stars of the movies traveled around w/the movie. I got to see the Three Stooges, The Dave Clark 5, Chubby Checker and Joan Crawford. That was strange. She was starring in an Ax murder movie when she came out on stage carrying an Ax over her shoulder. We were making a lot of noise and smiling she said to us. Now children please be quiet or I might come down there w/this. Suddenly dead silence. Little did we know.
post #23 of 48 Old 04-08-2020, 12:15 PM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6389 Post(s)
Liked: 5882
hopefully AMC won't go under...they have the best Dolby Cinema screen here in NYC...
Musty Hustla likes this.
post #24 of 48 Old 04-08-2020, 12:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 931 Post(s)
Liked: 403
If they do end up filing for bankruptcy, I think some other company will buy them out and reopen with fewer locations around the country to cut down on the costs and consolidate the viewers to fewer locations to improved the profit margins.

HT - Seymour Centerstage XD 2.39:1 133" W| JVC X790R | JBL SDP-55 | Nord NC500 | ATI AT528NC | Procella P8/P5V | Revel C763L | Monolith 12" x4
Living Room - LG OLED 65" | Denon X4400H | Monolith 3x200 | KEF Q900 L/R | Paradigm Millenia 20 CC | Polk Surrounds | Rythmik FV15HP x2
post #25 of 48 Old 04-08-2020, 12:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Well you can blame the studios for it being so expensive. It's not the theater's fault. Of that $30 for a pair of tickets, normally in the first 2 weeks from release, upwards of %80 of that goes to the studios/distributors. So for the theater to pay its bills, employees and buy new equipment the money has to come from somewhere and that would be the concession stand.
post #26 of 48 Old 04-08-2020, 12:56 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Liked: 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas2 View Post
I agree, a total rip-off. That said, it's hard to replace the experience. There's just something about it - the big screen, sharing it with others (so long as it's a good audience....), just getting out, you know? Not everyone's cup of tea, but I'd much prefer seeing a movie I really want to see on the big screen as opposed to home theater. I kick myself for failing to get to Blade Runner 2049 in the theater.

i agree with you about the experience portion, the problem is the audience. most of the time it is filled with rude people or teenagers making fools of themselves.
it’s too much money to deal with buggery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by liffie420 View Post
Well you can blame the studios for it being so expensive. It's not the theater's fault. Of that $30 for a pair of tickets, normally in the first 2 weeks from release, upwards of %80 of that goes to the studios/distributors. So for the theater to pay its bills, employees and buy new equipment the money has to come from somewhere and that would be the concession stand.

oh i understand they why, and i wasnt placing blame at all.

it just makes more sense to stay home and enjoy with friends and family....and it’s cheaper

LG 55C8, Pioneer Elite VSX-LX503, Panamax M5400, Microsoft Xbox One X, Nvidia Shield Pro
Definitive Technology: BP9060 Front left/right/CS9040 center/A90 front Atmos/ProMonitor 800 rear Atmos/SR9040 surround left/right
Rythmik FVX15
post #27 of 48 Old 04-08-2020, 12:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
i agree with you about the experience portion, the problem is the audience. most of the time it is filled with rude people or teenagers making fools of themselves.
it’s too much money to deal with buggery.

oh i understand they why, and i wasnt placing blame at all.

it just makes more sense to stay home and enjoy with friends and family....and it’s cheaper

Thats true, especially when I have a 70" 4k set in the living room with surround sound and a 65" 4k set in my bedroom 4 feet from my bed with a surround sound soundbar lol
MATTHEW PATIENT likes this.
post #28 of 48 Old 04-08-2020, 01:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

We took our daughter to her first movie (Frozen 2) when it was starting to die down in theaters (she was four, we didn't want to be "those people" so waited until we figured the audience attendance would be lower). She, and actually our eleven-month-old, were actually both surprisingly good during the whole movie (my wife's breast being the primary reason the baby held out, lol). It was nice to give her the experience and we enjoyed it immensely as a family.

This Friday, we will be doing Trolls 2 at home. I don't have anywhere near the level of excitement. It won't be the same. We're just heading into the basement and gathering in front of the same screen we do for every other family movie. There's nothing "special" about it. It's just another new movie she hasn't seen yet. However, I'm not a home-body by any stretch; I'd chose to be out and about any day over sitting at home with the same predictable stuff happening all the time.

Thus, I don't want theaters to go away. But, I understand they will either go away or restructure their business model -- I hope its the latter and I hope it makes for a better experience. However, if they don't up the quality commensurate the price (assuming the price goes up), then I may never get to take my eleven-month-old to her first (memorable) movie when she's of age. That will sadden me.
skylarlove1999 and RobKnapp like this.
post #29 of 48 Old 04-08-2020, 01:29 PM

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 91
AMC is easily my favorite venue. Pre-kids I went to the movies at least once a month.

As others have said, there is too much working against them. If they pioneered the subscription model when netflix was getting started, they would be in better shape. I would have paid for a regal unlimited type deal in my younger days.

Heck, my grandfather used to talk about going to the movies for a $1 and being able to stay all day---a similar model for non-peak days (Sun-Thurs) would have been a decent revenue stream from retirees or cheapos.
post #30 of 48 Old 04-08-2020, 01:51 PM

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 2926 Post(s)
Liked: 2995
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musty Hustla View Post
Heck, my grandfather used to talk about going to the movies for a $1 and being able to stay all day---a similar model for non-peak days (Sun-Thurs) would have been a decent revenue stream from retirees or cheapos.
LOL. Saturday/Sunday matinees when I was kid was $.35 (a few cartoons, a 3 Stooges or Little Rascals short, and a movie or two). And even back then, concessions were too pricey (for us). We used to load up with candy purchased at the drugstore. And we also got a visit from 2 of the 3 Stooges and other local celebs.

If you can’t explain it simply, you don’t understand it well enough – Albert Einstein
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Coronavirus Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page