Will Movie Theaters Survive Coronavirus? - Page 11 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 385Likes

post #301 of 330 Old 06-30-2020, 09:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1046 Post(s)
Liked: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by roberthall560 View Post
Personally I don't see it being profitable enough for these places to open--people are still paranoid,wont feel secure enough to want to be cooped up next to potential "spreaders" with no symptoms,and the reduced seating limitations of 25-50% aren't going to pull in enough revenue..many folks are so fed up with all the ridiculous restrictions placed on many businesses simply don't go !.--like eating out,if you want to be seated indoors many places insist on taking your temperature,have you sign a waiver,and leave your "contact info" at the door,or you wont be allowed in...this will lead to many of the places going under for good..especially concert venues..
What's your suggestion? The alternative is that they just close for the time being, and hope that they can survive, their bank gives them a break and defers payments, or they get bailed out by the government. I won't go to a restaurant, I think it's an insane concept in a pandemic, but we'll see if states can mitigate enough risk in it to more than offset the increased risk of having them open at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 330 Old 06-30-2020, 01:35 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I don't have any good answer either--it seems we are faced with two choices--go ahead and open everything up and pray that not too many more die from covid exposure,and hope herd immunity works--or stay home,sit and vegetate,do nothing the rest of our lives,and pray we can somehow get enough money to survive,and escape being infected..too bad China couldn't be held responsible,send them the bill for infecting the world..But our own government was supposedly involved with financing the lab this virus came from too,so that'll never happen..

I feel bad for all the music artists and fans that have had their main source of income and entertainment suddenly pulled out from under them--the owners of small businesses forced to stay closed,or operate at such reduced capacity its not profitable...people forced to stay home and try to tutor their kids with "home schooling"..no day care..it'll be a long hard road for many parents to get back to work if they still even have jobs if and when this subsides..some day care centers are starting to open on a very limited basis here,but there isn't enough to handle the load..

I do not see a vaccine being the "end" of this either--like the flu,this will mutate every year and a vaccine won't be very effective..
I do not trust any vaccine to not have harmful side effects and or be some "tracking device" either..

As I type this I'm watching the news on TV,and Dr.Fauci is now saying a new flu strain in pigs in China "could be the next pandemic"..
I guess the fearmongering wont stop until after the election....
post #303 of 330 Old 06-30-2020, 02:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 746 Post(s)
Liked: 786
Not the rest of our lives. Maybe the rest of the year, maybe a little longer. Until there’s a vaccine. BIG difference, especially when you’re talking about fear mongering.

Quote:
it seems we are faced with two choices--go ahead and open everything up and pray that not too many more die from covid exposure,and hope herd immunity works--or stay home,sit and vegetate,do nothing the rest of our lives,
BiggAW and markmon1 like this.

I love my iPhone, but it will never replace my turntable. I've never seen Titanic OR XXXXXXXXX.

The Cinema 1858 Remodel Thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #304 of 330 Old 06-30-2020, 02:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked: 919
Quote:
(Snip).But our own government was supposedly involved with financing the lab this virus came from too,so that'll never happen..(Snip)

Someone needs to leave the "conspiracy theory" websites and come out into the light. Repeat after me " The novel coronavirus was not created in a lab". Go ahead you can do it. It's not hard.

Current system:
Sony 75X900e/Sony STR-DN-1080, CS-3/CS-8/CS5
Sony X800 4K blu-ray player/Dish Hopper3
Roku 4 Premier/Sony PS-4
post #305 of 330 Old 06-30-2020, 03:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Quoted: 4471 Post(s)
Liked: 4080
Quote:
... As I type this I'm watching the news on TV,and Dr.Fauci is now saying a new flu strain in pigs in China "could be the next pandemic"..
I guess the fearmongering wont stop until after the election....
Is it fearmongering when the National Weather Service warns citizens that a dangerous storm with tornado potential is approaching your neighborhood and everyone should be prepared to seek shelter? Like hazardous weather warnings there will continue to be hazardous disease warnings long after the election. Like the weather pandemics are independent of politics. Ignore at your own risk.
PannyMann likes this.
post #306 of 330 Old 06-30-2020, 03:43 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 15
That's the thing. Will movie studios still be spending $100 millions making quality good movie, that we can use our expensive home theater to enjoy?
post #307 of 330 Old 06-30-2020, 03:50 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2906 Post(s)
Liked: 2977
Yes.

They (will) get paid by the "consumer" one way or another.

If you can’t explain it simply, you don’t understand it well enough – Albert Einstein
post #308 of 330 Old 06-30-2020, 05:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 746 Post(s)
Liked: 786
Haha, I didn’t even get that far in his post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheddarhead View Post
Quote:
(Snip).But our own government was supposedly involved with financing the lab this virus came from too,so that'll never happen..(Snip)

Someone needs to leave the "conspiracy theory" websites and come out into the light. Repeat after me " The novel coronavirus was not created in a lab". Go ahead you can do it. It's not hard.

I love my iPhone, but it will never replace my turntable. I've never seen Titanic OR XXXXXXXXX.

The Cinema 1858 Remodel Thread
post #309 of 330 Old 07-01-2020, 09:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 834 Post(s)
Liked: 732
Quote:

I do not trust any vaccine to not have harmful side effects and or be some "tracking device" either..

Seriously?
post #310 of 330 Old 07-01-2020, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfster View Post
Seriously?
Sure! That way when dogs and cats take over the world and only a few humans are alive, they can keep track of their next meal.

If you can’t explain it simply, you don’t understand it well enough – Albert Einstein
post #311 of 330 Old 07-01-2020, 11:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Quoted: 4471 Post(s)
Liked: 4080
For a scientific take on conspiracy theories try reading the whole paper that follows the abstract on the National Center for Biotechnology Information site:

Quote:
Conspiracy theories as part of history: The role of societal crisis situations

Abstract

In the present contribution, we examine the link between societal crisis situations and belief in conspiracy theories. Contrary to common assumptions, belief in conspiracy theories has been prevalent throughout human history. We first illustrate historical incidents suggesting that societal crisis situations—defined as impactful and rapid societal change that calls established power structures, norms of conduct, or even the existence of specific people or groups into question—have stimulated belief in conspiracy theories. We then review the psychological literature to explain why this is the case. Evidence suggests that the aversive feelings that people experience when in crisis—fear, uncertainty, and the feeling of being out of control—stimulate a motivation to make sense of the situation, increasing the likelihood of perceiving conspiracies in social situations. We then explain that after being formed, conspiracy theories can become historical narratives that may spread through cultural transmission. We conclude that conspiracy theories originate particularly in crisis situations and may form the basis for how people subsequently remember and mentally represent a historical event. ...
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5646574/
post #312 of 330 Old 07-01-2020, 01:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1451 Post(s)
Liked: 960
Quote:
*snip* like the flu,this will mutate every year and a vaccine won't be very effective.. *snip*
You sure of that? I haven't read anything from the medical community confirming it.
post #313 of 330 Old 07-01-2020, 01:42 PM

All viruses mutate.
Every year... vaccines are not 100% effective.

Pesky little critters, eh?

Gotta work with whatcha got. If a virus doesn't kill you, political and lawyer TV ad's will.

post #314 of 330 Old 07-01-2020, 01:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post
All viruses mutate.

Gotta work with whatcha got. If a virus doesn't kill you, political and lawyer TV ad's will.
Various viruses mutate at different rates, influenza quite a lot, polio and measles not so much.

We don't know yet about SARS-CoV-2, it may or may not have a mutation rate that requires repeated updates to a vaccine.

One of the reasons the influenza vaccine requires annual updates is that it attempts to protect against multiple related influenza strains that all have a high rate of mutation not a single strain like SARS-CoV-2 appears to be.
markmon1 likes this.

Current system:
Roku 4 Premier/Sony PS-4
post #315 of 330 Old 07-01-2020, 01:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
All viruses mutate.

Do we make new vaccines for measles every year?

edit: ugh, beaten, lol!
post #316 of 330 Old 07-01-2020, 01:56 PM
JJ7
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWarrior View Post
You sure of that? I haven't read anything from the medical community confirming it.
Coronaviruses mutate much more slowly than influenza

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-...owly-good.html

From the article

Quote:
Coronaviruses—of which there are hundreds, most of them occurring in animals—typically mutate more slowly than many other viruses. Influenza, for example, mutates quickly, which is why people must be inoculated annually against changing flu strains.
I post this only to discourage the misinformation. Of course this is an AV forum, so maybe it’s better if we stick to those topics
markmon1 likes this.
post #317 of 330 Old 07-01-2020, 02:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ7 View Post
Coronaviruses mutate much more slowly than influenza

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-...owly-good.html

From the article

I post this only to discourage the misinformation. Of course this is an AV forum, so maybe it’s better if we stick to those topics
, my question was mostly rhetorical -- I knew the answer already. However, thanks for another confirming source!
post #318 of 330 Old 07-01-2020, 02:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 834 Post(s)
Liked: 732
Quote:
All viruses mutate.

True, but the average hovers around 50% effectiveness for the seasonal flu vaccine. Factor in that only 43% get the flu shot and we still have lots of preventable deaths happen each year. I doubt we will see better compliance with a Covid-19 immunization. Fear, apathy and stupidity factor in.
post #319 of 330 Old 07-01-2020, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheddarhead View Post
Various viruses mutate at different rates, influenza quite a lot, polio and measles not so much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWarrior View Post
Do we make new vaccines for measles every year?
But we are discussing a Flu, not Polio, mumps or measles.

No "they" do not make "new" vaccines for every type of influenza strain nor do they anticipate mutations. It happens.

post #320 of 330 Old 07-01-2020, 02:55 PM

Quote:
True, but the average hovers around 50% effectiveness for the seasonal flu vaccine. .
Why? Because "they" give everyone a seasonal "best guess" cocktail dose for their prediction. Many times... they miss the target(s).

post #321 of 330 Old 07-01-2020, 05:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Let's get back to the actual subject of this thread
I say yes

AMC seems to be reopening on July 30th with Inception in IMAX
August 11th will being Tenat
post #322 of 330 Old 07-02-2020, 05:58 AM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 7051 Post(s)
Liked: 8074
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
For a scientific take on conspiracy theories try reading the whole paper that follows the abstract on the National Center for Biotechnology Information site:
People who believe in conspiracy theories, like CoV-19 was created in a Chinese lab financed with American money or Bill Gates is going to put tracking software in vaccines (which you have to admit is pretty inventive for a conspiracy theory), tend to think that warnings against a belief in conspiracy theories is itself another conspiracy theory (that's what they want you to think!).

Once they start tumbling down that rabbit hole it gets difficult to climb back out. There is a disturbingly large number of Americans that seem prone to this stuff. There is an entire industry dedicated to propagating such disinformation for political gain or profit.
BiggAW, markmon1 and thrillcat like this.
post #323 of 330 Old 07-02-2020, 07:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
But we are discussing a Flu, not Polio, mumps or measles.

No "they" do not make "new" vaccines for every type of influenza strain nor do they anticipate mutations. It happens.

I was replying to your statement "All viruses mutate" which you used to talk about the effectiveness of vaccines.

The issue isn't that "All Viruses mutate" the issue is viruses mutate at different rates, we don't yet know the mutation rate of SARS-CoV-2.

Current system:
Roku 4 Premier/Sony PS-4
post #324 of 330 Old 07-02-2020, 07:30 AM

My bad....
Influenza viruses have sometimes been known to mutate.
I apologize for my faux pas.

I will do my best to be more succinct in any future responses.

Here's a fact:

"WE don't know anything about this virus."
Cheddarhead likes this.

post #325 of 330 Old 07-02-2020, 07:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Here's a fact:

"WE don't know anything about this virus."

Agreed!!
Ratman likes this.

Current system:
Roku 4 Premier/Sony PS-4
post #326 of 330 Old 07-02-2020, 08:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 164 Post(s)
Quoted: 6808 Post(s)
Liked: 4932
Quote:
too bad China couldn't be held responsible,send them the bill for infecting the world..But our own government was supposedly involved with financing the lab this virus came from too,so that'll never happen..

Geez dude, you need to turn off the social media and watch some real news. You all but forgot to blame this all on 5G. I assume you just forgot to mention it, right? Good grief.
BiggAW and thrillcat like this.

JVC Control - my software for controlling JVC projector via IP control.
Smart Masking - See my automatic smart screen masking system.
JVC IR Codes - free online pronto code converter for JVC IR codes.
post #327 of 330 Old 07-02-2020, 08:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 164 Post(s)
Quoted: 6808 Post(s)
Liked: 4932
Quote:
True, but the average hovers around 50% effectiveness for the seasonal flu vaccine. Factor in that only 43% get the flu shot and we still have lots of preventable deaths happen each year. I doubt we will see better compliance with a Covid-19 immunization. Fear, apathy and stupidity factor in.
I am sure we will see much higher compliance for covid19. At least on the west coast, I'm sure the governors will make some laws requiring anyone attending public schools to prove they've had a covid19 vaccination. I'd also expect many businesses to require it before their employees can come work there. I know a lot of people get sick from the flu, but the general consensus in the population is that the flu is no big deal. No one is closing the economy to stop the flu. People generally get a flu vaccine just to help make sure they dont have to spend a couple weeks in bed sick. This is a different story.

You get the covid19 vaccine to prevent you from spreading it to the rest of your family. Anyone with older family members will want to be sure they're vaccinated to avoid killing their parents/grandparents.

I also think there's a higher chance that those idiots that think covid19 is nothing will be likely to contract the virus between now and a vaccine - or if not them a close friend or family member. Those with that attitude will be the ones going out to bars, church, dinner, movies etc. As a big chunk of those folks do get infected, opinions will start to change.

It's really a shame that americans are just so stupid. We have to be the dumbest country in the world when it comes to this sort of behavior.
archiguy, markb1234 and thrillcat like this.

JVC Control - my software for controlling JVC projector via IP control.
Smart Masking - See my automatic smart screen masking system.
JVC IR Codes - free online pronto code converter for JVC IR codes.
post #328 of 330 Old 07-02-2020, 01:03 PM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6382 Post(s)
Liked: 5877
NYC movie theaters were set to open up as part of Stage 4 but now the Governor has put the brakes on that and will now be evaluated at a later date...Broadway venues will remain closed until January
post #329 of 330 Old 07-03-2020, 10:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1046 Post(s)
Liked: 336
Quote:
I don't have any good answer either--it seems we are faced with two choices--go ahead and open everything up and pray that not too many more die from covid exposure,and hope herd immunity works--or stay home,sit and vegetate,do nothing the rest of our lives,and pray we can somehow get enough money to survive,and escape being infected..too bad China couldn't be held responsible,send them the bill for infecting the world..But our own government was supposedly involved with financing the lab this virus came from too,so that'll never happen.
Sitting in a movie theater is not worth people dying over. I don't know how you can get to that sort of argument. Of course, we'd be out doing stuff, safely, without too many Coronavirus issues if we had locked down properly and tested and traced like Europe did. Movie theaters, bars, and large conventions are still particularly problematic though.
post #330 of 330 Old 07-05-2020, 10:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1077 Post(s)
Liked: 975
Can’t wait to go see Tenet in my local Cinemarc, just a couple more weeks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Coronavirus Discussion

Tags
coronavirus , movie theaters

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page