Will CES 2021 Take Place as Scheduled? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
View Poll Results: Will CES 2021 Take Place as Scheduled
CES 2021 will go on as usual in January 23 38.33%
CES 2021 will be rescheduled for later in the year 22 36.67%
CES 2021 will not take place 15 25.00%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
 28Likes

post #1 of 39 Old 04-14-2020, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 473 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9555 Post(s)
Liked: 16966
Will CES 2021 Take Place as Scheduled?

The annual Consumer Electronic Show that takes place in Las Vegas every January is the largest electronics tradeshow in the world.

When it comes to consumer electronics, no trade show looms larger than CES. For the AV crowd, it is the event where all the TV makers unveil their latest, greatest technology. However that is a problem because having huge crowds from all around the world all squish into one place is now a big issue.

CES 2020 occurred just before coronavirus became a global pandemic and was not affected. But all bets are off for 2021 due to the global disruption caused by coronavirus. Trade shows that were to take place this spring have been rescheduled, not to mention major events such as the 2020 Summer Olympics.

Granted, January 2021 is still a bit far away, but I am looking for opinions on whether CES 2021 will take place this coming January 6-9.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 04-15-2020 at 08:21 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 04-14-2020, 11:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2269 Post(s)
Liked: 2409
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
The annual Consumer Electronic Show that takes place in Las Vegas every January is the largest electronics tradeshow in the world. CES 2020 occurred just before coronavirus became a global pandemic.

Tradeshows that were to take place this spring have been rescheduled, not to mention major events such as the 2020 Summer Olympics.

Granted, January 2021 is still a bit far away, but I am looking for opinions on whether CES 2021 will take place.
It will take place but not in January. June 2021.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Tristan Jones
post #3 of 39 Old 04-14-2020, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylarlove1999 View Post

Moving that show seems logistically incredibly difficult, for many reasons including facility availability. And will it retain its value to the big attendees if it does not align with product release cycles anymore?

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 39 Old 04-14-2020, 11:53 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 261
I'm not sure. I know a lot of the car companies are moving away from autoshows since well before covid19, just because they were so expensive and it isn't a great way to sell product to the average consumer. The digital era means automakers don't need shows to get big attention, and instead are interacting directly with shoppers using pop-ups, YouTube, Instagram and whatever else. I mean the unions got so damn greedy that automakers figured out they could do all kinds of cool things with the money they keep skipping shows and just doing a few major ones. That said, CES is for sure the biggest for electronics. But, even if things are pretty under control, there really isn't much riskier than a trade show full of people from all over the world pre-vaccine. I have a feeling with the recession on our hands that things like TVs won't be selling as hot as they were before either, and maybe some of these highly expensive trade shows might not be worth it for as many companies and they might start to think like the car guys. Both covid19 + the economy in general will be factors.

Interesting times!
post #5 of 39 Old 04-14-2020, 12:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Moving that show seems logistically incredibly difficult, for many reasons including facility availability. And will it retain its value to the big attendees if it does not align with product release cycles anymore?
All very good points. I think many new product releases will be delayed by at least 6 months. I think it will need to be a more controlled, smaller environment to adjust to the new norm of smaller groups at staged intervals to provide a more hygienic approach to trade shows, allowing spaces to be sanitized in between attendees rotating through.

I say go back to NYC like the original shows and hold them in hotels. Hotels will have to have controlled environments to welcome back guests. Hotel health and safety guidelines are already very strong and will only be stronger after this pandemic. New York has the infrastructure in place to support multiple smaller venues within a couple square miles. CES used to hold a summer and fall show . It used to travel the country year after year rotating between several cities. What was old can be new again. Maybe go back to two smaller shows again and have a fall and summer show.

imagic likes this.

Tristan Jones
post #6 of 39 Old 04-14-2020, 12:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:

Nobody wants to go to Vegas in June.
goksucats likes this.
post #7 of 39 Old 04-14-2020, 12:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Ortiz View Post
Nobody wants to go to Vegas in June.
I didn't say it would be held in Vegas please see my subsequent post

Tristan Jones
post #8 of 39 Old 04-14-2020, 12:23 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Not if the U.S. continues to be soft on restrictions and lock downs - on the trajectory we are at now, the U.S. will still be dealing with "flattening the curve" which means nobody wants to come to the U.S. because we will continue to be the epicenter of C19 infections.
obonillaf and DigVid like this.
post #9 of 39 Old 04-14-2020, 12:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 165 Post(s)
Quoted: 4439 Post(s)
Liked: 3959
Has anyone analyzed all the logistics required to protect the safety of large gatherings of closely packed people from around the globe as long as the novel coronavirus is active and most people do not have immunity? Until a vaccine is widely available someone is going to have to come up with a solution to this complex problem in order to have anything remotely similar to CES.
imagic, obonillaf, jrref and 3 others like this.
post #10 of 39 Old 04-14-2020, 02:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 841 Post(s)
Liked: 790
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8KCRT View Post
Not if the U.S. continues to be soft on restrictions and lock downs - on the trajectory we are at now, the U.S. will still be dealing with "flattening the curve" which means nobody wants to come to the U.S. because we will continue to be the epicenter of C19 infections.
Flattening the curve is to allow the health care system to take care of all who needs hospitalization, not to make the pandemic shorter. It is quite the opposite actually...

Technically, doing nothing would have shorten the lenght of the pandemic drasticly, but with more deaths.

EDIT: Look at the "X" axis on the attached chart.

seggers and goksucats like this.

Dedicated Sonus faber HT 7.2.4 | FRONTS: Sonus Faber Venere 2.0 CENTER: Sonus Faber Venere Centre FRONT WIDES: Sonus Faber Venere 1.5 SURROUNDS: Sonus Faber Venere 1.5 TF/TR - ATMOS-DTS:X: Sonus Faber Venere Wall (4) | RECEIVER: Marantz SR7010 AMPLIFICATION: Monolith 7x200 | SUBWOOFERS: Dual 18" Dayton RSS460 Custom Build | Behringer iNuke 6000DSP | Velodyne SMS-1 DISPLAY: JVC D-ILA RS-46 w/ 128" 16:9 1.4 TREATMENT: Custom Bass Traps and Acoustic Panels (11)

Last edited by jsgrise; 04-14-2020 at 02:41 PM.
post #11 of 39 Old 04-14-2020, 03:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1326 Post(s)
Liked: 4528
"Researchers Say Social Distancing To Prevent Coronavirus May Need To Continue Until 2022"

Quote:
In a new study published in the journal Science, epidemiologists from the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health say that in the absence of a vaccine or effective treatment, social distancing until 2022 could be necessary to contain the COVID-19 pandemic.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/leahros.../#3917b5b85181

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B

"I watch a lot of movies, I know what I'm doing." - Daniel Lugo
post #12 of 39 Old 04-14-2020, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
All very good points. I think many new product releases will be delayed by at least 6 months. I think it will need to be a more controlled, smaller environment to adjust to the new norm of smaller groups at staged intervals to provide a more hygienic approach to trade shows, allowing spaces to be sanitized in between attendees rotating through.

I say go back to NYC like the original shows and hold them in hotels. Hotels will have to have controlled environments to welcome back guests. Hotel health and safety guidelines are already very strong and will only be stronger after this pandemic. New York has the infrastructure in place to support multiple smaller venues within a couple square miles. CES used to hold a summer and fall show . It used to travel the country year after year rotating between several cities. What was old can be new again. Maybe go back to two smaller shows again and have a fall and summer show.

I'd love... Love, love, love it if it came back to NYC.

Agree the city has what it takes to host it.

I wish, but what are that chances?

Then again the major brands all did NY events, at least up until this year.
skylarlove1999 likes this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #13 of 39 Old 04-14-2020, 03:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1326 Post(s)
Liked: 4528
Quote:
I'd love... Love, love, love it if it came back to NYC.

Agree the city has what it takes to host it.

I wish, but what are that chances?

Then again the major brands all did NY events, at least up until this year.
Waving a magic wand for CES whenever in NYC, would attendees tolerate more than a doubling of their expenses?

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B

"I watch a lot of movies, I know what I'm doing." - Daniel Lugo
post #14 of 39 Old 04-14-2020, 04:26 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 2858 Post(s)
Liked: 2900
If they go on with CES for some reason... who in hell will be able to afford to attend after the economic situation as well as the holidays?

OTOH, look at the bright side. No crowds, plenty of available hotel rooms and no need to make reservations at restaurants.

If you can’t explain it simply, you don’t understand it well enough – Albert Einstein
post #15 of 39 Old 04-14-2020, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panson View Post
Waving a magic wand for CES whenever in NYC, would attendees tolerate more than a doubling of their expenses?
No, I don't think it's viable at double the price, and clearly New York has shown itself to generally not be a great place to be if a highly infectious virus is going around, even if the infrastructure lends itself to a "distributed" show experience.

I feel like companies would rather spend their marketing money some other way.

Vegas is already "tough to swallow" prices. It's really just because I live in Philly, I'm being purely selfish with my wishful thinking about a NY CES. It's a pipe dream.

With the Vegas CES that was, I don't know where else (in the U.S. anyhow) but Vegas that can legit host it. Nevertheless, it's impossible to imagine the huge crowds, packed like on the Tokyo subway trying to get into the LG booth, being something that's repeated in 2021. "CES flu" just became unfunny.
Blitzdog and skylarlove1999 like this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #16 of 39 Old 04-14-2020, 06:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked: 500
I think CES 2021 will take place and at the scheduled date in January but it will be substantially scaled back/low budget.

No doubt floor space has already had some sort of down payment made on it. There will be half or less the number of people attending.

Innovations for this year will no doubt lag with engineers working at lower efficiency due to lock-downs. I'm not sure if that will effect products more for 2021 or 2022?

NAB 2020 is likely canceled, https://nabshow.com/express/. NAB has been scaling back for quit awhile with vendors opting for more mini NAB events at local venues with the ability to actually use the new gear and talk to an expert without standing in line, I usually have two chances to catch mini NAB events, Portland OR and Seattle WA. I used to attend at one location or the other but have been working too many hours the last few years. Catching up on new innovations has become a lot easier with some of the great youtube how-to and demo videos. And with many products software controlled it's easy enough to download the software and run it in simulation mode. Unless a good sized company or install company is needing to keep up by the day with new products there is little reason to attend NAB these days.

Stay safe,

OPPO UDP-205, LG OLED65C8, OPPO BDP-93, Pioneer Kuro Pro-150FD, Dynaudio 2x BM-12a Mk III Mains, 2x BM 6a Mk II surround, 2x BM 14s Subs, Allan and Heath MixWizard, room is 11'7"x 16'6"x 8" dedicated and treated. Tripp-Lite UPSs/power conditioners (because my power isn't as clean as it used to be)
post #17 of 39 Old 04-14-2020, 07:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 242 Post(s)
Quoted: 5318 Post(s)
Liked: 6515
I don't believe we will have any conventions until there is a vaccine. Just not possible.

John
Sony 55A1E, A9F, LG CX
Marantz 7012, Ohm Walsh Speakers
Klein K10-A, Jeti 1501, Murideo Six-G Gen2
Calman Ultimate, LightSpace Pro, ISF Level III Certified
post #18 of 39 Old 04-15-2020, 08:41 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 52
More timely, what about CEDIA in September?

AVSForum Marketing Solutions - Display, Video, Native, Social CRM, Content, Research and Insights
m. 416-578-0769
e. [email protected]
post #19 of 39 Old 04-15-2020, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzdog View Post
More timely, what about CEDIA in September?
If I were to venture a guess, no way that's happening.

I'm using the return of spectators to sports as the standard for this kind of thing. Unfortunately, yesterday Dr. Anthony Fauci said "the only path for sports to return this summer includes no fans in attendance and players being kept in quarantine for the duration of their seasons" and added "Nobody comes to the stadium. Put [the players] in big hotels, wherever you want to play, keep them very well surveilled. ... Have them tested every single week and make sure they don't wind up infecting each other or their family, and just let them play the season out."

With that kind of outlook on sports, the chances of having a big convention of any kind occur in early September seems nonexistent. IMO, of course.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #20 of 39 Old 04-15-2020, 10:43 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrref View Post
I don't believe we will have any conventions until there is a vaccine. Just not possible.
That is the way!
skylarlove1999 and DigVid like this.
post #21 of 39 Old 04-16-2020, 07:34 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:

I hate to be one of those guys, but what's your source for this information and where can I verify it? All of the CES web sites are still showing the 2021 show as being in Las Vegas in January.

As for New York, well, we're used to New York for the AES show. As far as hotel rates go, haven't you noticed that all the Las Vegas hotels anywhere near the Convention Center double or triple their regular rates during CES (and NAB as well, though InfoComm [cancelled] for 2020) still seems to be under their radar)? New York hotels don't have to jack up their rates for conventions. They're outrageous all the time.
imagic likes this.
post #22 of 39 Old 04-16-2020, 07:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRivers View Post
I hate to be one of those guys, but what's your source for this information and where can I verify it? All of the CES web sites are still showing the 2021 show as being in Las Vegas in January.

As for New York, well, we're used to New York for the AES show. As far as hotel rates go, haven't you noticed that all the Las Vegas hotels anywhere near the Convention Center double or triple their regular rates during CES (and NAB as well, though InfoComm [cancelled] for 2020) still seems to be under their radar)? New York hotels don't have to jack up their rates for conventions. They're outrageous all the time.
I was responding to the post. I have no verifiable information this was just a pipe dream. my true feelings are that we won't see any conventions until 2022 of any type and hopefully by then there will be a vaccine and a treatment for covid-19.

Tristan Jones
post #23 of 39 Old 04-16-2020, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Personal opinion here...

I just finished reading an article about how people are having a hard time getting refunds for tickets to shows and whatnot. The problem with rescheduling, as opposed to cancellation, Is that rescheduled shows don't automatically offer refunds to attendees (regardless of whether were talking about a tradeshow or a concert).

Now, if you look at the current economic situation, it's already tough to get refunds. Unless the economy makes a quite remarkable comeback, when a rescheduled show finally gets canceled it may no longer be possible to get any money because they'll be bankrupt.

The way things are going, and with the whole notion of the virus setting the timeline, I wouldn't leave my money invested in a ticket to a postponed event.

For tradeshows, regardless of whether I was an exhibitor or an attendee, I'd look to get a refund now. If the event does go on, I'm quite sure there'll be extra tickets and extra booth spaces available because not all the companies that would exhibit are going to make it that far anyhow, and I think there will be some hesitation among potential attendees as well—at least until such a time as (hopefully) a vaccine is developed.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 04-16-2020 at 09:12 AM.
post #24 of 39 Old 04-16-2020, 09:07 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Is is possible the manufacturers might decide to hold the show in another country? Canada? Mexico?

Samsung UN55HU8550/SEK-3500U 4K TV, and UBD-K8500 BR Player. Receivers: Denon AVR-X4300H - 5.1.4., JBL Spearkers: Center Studio 235C, 2 - Studio 590 - L&R, ES250PBK Sub, 2 - ES90 Towers - L&R surround, 2 - Studio 230 - front height, 2 - ES20 - rear height. Video production: Resolve Studio 16.1, Win 10 Pro, CPU i9 9940X, MSI X299 Carbon MB, EVGA RTX 2080, 128GB (4x16) DDR4 3200, S1H camera, GH5 camera, Zhiyun Crane 2 Gimble
post #25 of 39 Old 04-16-2020, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom703 View Post
Is is possible the manufacturers might decide to hold the show in another country? Canada? Mexico?
There are other shows that cover the areas CES covers, so there is probably too much redundancy.

As a thought experiment, CES itself moving out of the U.S.? I'm not sure if you could ever hope to recreate the "Only in Vegas" show that it turned into. Regardless, it does not matter where you held it the same issues would apply, if there's no vaccine and coronavirus is still around, how do you hold a show?

I've been trying to figure out what might happen. Could trade shows somehow go virtual?

Whatever happens, it's instructive that Apple has, for a long time now, been a non-participant in CES and does things on its own terms. I expect we'll see more of that from the companies that can pull it off.
Russell Burrows likes this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #26 of 39 Old 04-16-2020, 09:28 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
There are other shows that cover the areas CES covers, so there is probably too much redundancy.

As a thought experiment, CES itself moving out of the U.S.? I'm not sure if you could ever hope to recreate the "Only in Vegas" show that it turned into. Regardless, it does not matter where you held it the same issues would apply, if there's no vaccine and coronavirus is still around, how do you hold a show?

I've been trying to figure out what might happen. Could trade shows somehow go virtual?

Whatever happens, it's instructive that Apple has, for a long time now, been a non-participant in CES and does things on its own terms. I expect we'll see more of that from the companies that can pull it off.

I expect the "New Normal" whatever form that may take, may be something none of us will recognize.

Samsung UN55HU8550/SEK-3500U 4K TV, and UBD-K8500 BR Player. Receivers: Denon AVR-X4300H - 5.1.4., JBL Spearkers: Center Studio 235C, 2 - Studio 590 - L&R, ES250PBK Sub, 2 - ES90 Towers - L&R surround, 2 - Studio 230 - front height, 2 - ES20 - rear height. Video production: Resolve Studio 16.1, Win 10 Pro, CPU i9 9940X, MSI X299 Carbon MB, EVGA RTX 2080, 128GB (4x16) DDR4 3200, S1H camera, GH5 camera, Zhiyun Crane 2 Gimble
post #27 of 39 Old 04-16-2020, 09:57 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 6
I am 99% sure that by the end of the year everyone will talk about something completely different, the coronavirus hype will end. Remember H1N1 in 2009? Where did it go even before the vaccine was made? Nature has foreseen everything: the virus is not profitable to kill the victim...
post #28 of 39 Old 04-16-2020, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CooBob View Post
I am 99% sure that by the end of the year everyone will talk about something completely different, the coronavirus hype will end. Remember H1N1 in 2009? Where did it go even before the vaccine was made? Nature has foreseen everything: the virus is not profitable to kill the victim...
We can revisit these comments in December, see how it's going.

Yes, I remember. I specifically recall that its impact on the world was not even a fraction of what this is.

I readily admit to having no knowledge that helps me predict how this all plays out. I hope you are right, nothing would be better than having this crisis melt away... but I would not put a monetary bet on it.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 04-16-2020 at 10:48 AM.
post #29 of 39 Old 04-16-2020, 11:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CooBob View Post
H1N1infected 1.4 billion globally in one year and killed roughly 150K. COVID19 has infected 2 million and killed 140K in less than 6 months. If you are still alive by the end of the year you may not be talking about it but everyone else will be. If you believe in a higher power I ask you to pray for the world. We need it more than ever. I saw your profile page. What exactly is a cooker? I saw that listed as your profession. I see you have two posts and just became a member. What interested you about joining AVS Forum during a global health pandemic?

Tristan Jones
post #30 of 39 Old 04-16-2020, 11:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Coronavirus Discussion

Tags