Nearly all Covid-19 patients put on ventilators in New York's health system died - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 64Likes

post #1 of 61 Old 04-23-2020, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Exclamation Nearly all Covid-19 patients put on ventilators in New York's health system died

Nearly all Covid-19 patients put on ventilators in New York's largest health system died, study finds

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/22/healt...die/index.html

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKCN2251PE

Cable Channel Choice is the only choice I want to make !!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 61 Old 04-23-2020, 02:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
that's very depressing
post #3 of 61 Old 04-23-2020, 02:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 165 Post(s)
Quoted: 4439 Post(s)
Liked: 3959
It was already reported in one of the other coronavirus threads that ~80% of those being put on ventilators didn't survive. Of course only those in most serious condition are put on ventilators in the first place so their lives are already at great risk. As experience with COVID-19 patients increases different techniques are being tried.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 61 Old 04-23-2020, 08:53 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
No surprises there. I've never felt that ventilators/respirators did anything other than possibly prolong a very ill person's life - that was going to die without it. And, obviously you can't stay on the device forever.

As far as I know I'm in moderately OK health, though I will be 50 this year so am not young either. I've already told my family that if I get the virus & if it gets bad enough that I can't breathe without help, to not put me on a ventilator/respirator. I will be done at that point, and don't want to prolong the agony.

Last edited by Kyle Reese; 04-23-2020 at 09:27 PM.
post #5 of 61 Old 04-24-2020, 04:35 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 2858 Post(s)
Liked: 2900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Reese View Post
I've already told my family that if I get the virus & if it gets bad enough that I can't breathe without help, to not put me on a ventilator/respirator. I will be done at that point, and don't want to prolong the agony.
That's an easy stance to take when you're healthy. When death comes a knockin', you may have a change of heart.
Briguy65, parkman and no1special like this.

If you can’t explain it simply, you don’t understand it well enough – Albert Einstein
post #6 of 61 Old 04-24-2020, 07:51 AM

Quoted: 1659 Post(s)
Liked: 2306
What is most interesting to me, at least about the CNN version, is what they didn't mention which is in fact the problem with reporting. The facts they quote are likely accurate the thing they didn't mention is the death rate once on a ventilator for other severe respiratory illnesses (by that time very sick people) is plus or minus 80% thus although this is fantastic headline it is not a revelation. If you bias your sample to only very sick people you don't get an accurate picture of the true threat magnitude. It looks like the death rate is astronomical it could be ,as some extrapolation from testing is now starting to reveal ,that it is indeed quite contagious but not as deadly as first feared.

Art
Peja and bdht like this.
post #7 of 61 Old 04-30-2020, 04:26 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Reese View Post
No surprises there. I've never felt that ventilators/respirators did anything other than possibly prolong a very ill person's life - that was going to die without it. And, obviously you can't stay on the device forever.

As far as I know I'm in moderately OK health, though I will be 50 this year so am not young either. I've already told my family that if I get the virus & if it gets bad enough that I can't breathe without help, to not put me on a ventilator/respirator. I will be done at that point, and don't want to prolong the agony.
Hey Kyle,
My cousin is 50. Gravely ill with the virus in France, she survived with the ventilator and is now slowly recovering. It's been very hard, very painful and scary (she said the hardest was having all the people die around her alone), but fortunately the worst is behind her.
So there is hope even when it gets to that point, and drugs are going to be more and more effective as they figure it out. So please update your guidelines for your family ;-)
post #8 of 61 Old 04-30-2020, 05:35 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by cxwingav View Post
Hey Kyle,
My cousin is 50. Gravely ill with the virus in France, she survived with the ventilator and is now slowly recovering. It's been very hard, very painful and scary (she said the hardest was having all the people die around her alone), but fortunately the worst is behind her.
So there is hope even when it gets to that point, and drugs are going to be more and more effective as they figure it out. So please update your guidelines for your family ;-)

out of curiosity is your cousin a smoker?
i suspect if smokers at that age contract the virus would have an even harder to to overcome
post #9 of 61 Old 04-30-2020, 08:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Ventilators may work for some. But I heard one doctor on TV say the original thinking was that COVID-19 was primarily a disease that attacked the lungs and that a lot of people would need to be put on ventilators. The thinking now is that it may be more of a disease of the blood that can affect all organs, so ventilators will be used less than originally thought.
post #10 of 61 Old 04-30-2020, 08:35 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 21
My wife works on the front line as an R/N here in New Orleans which has been another epicenter for Covid-19. The way she’s always explained to me about ventilators are the people are more susceptible to bacterial infections, which attacks the body’s immune system even much more than the trauma of Covid-19. We too have had a high death rate percentage of patients on ventilators.
Hopefully this all comes to an end.
Praying for everyone’s health.
mik2h likes this.

LG OLED77C9 * Yamaha CX-A5100 * Yamaha MX-A5000 * Oppo UDP-205 *
PS4 Pro * Apple TV 4th Gen * Panamax-M5400-PM * SVS SoundPath Ultra Speaker Cable and RCA Interconnect * Mogami Gold Studio XLR * Klipsch RF-7III x2 * Klipsch RC-64III * Klipsch RP-250s x4 * Klipsch CDT-5800WII x4 * Klipsch SPL-150 x2
post #11 of 61 Old 04-30-2020, 09:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
It was already reported in one of the other coronavirus threads that ~80% of those being put on ventilators didn't survive. Of course only those in most serious condition are put on ventilators in the first place so their lives are already at great risk. As experience with COVID-19 patients increases different techniques are being tried.
What they need is oxygenation before they get hypoxemia and the virus can start doing real damage. Which means you have to identify people who've been infected before they start showing serious symptoms. Which we could possibly do. If we had more tests, and more accurate tests. But we don't, because the current administration is totally incompetent at everything except PR, and now they can't even control that.
Russell Burrows and mik2h like this.

Last edited by Tangled Cable; 04-30-2020 at 09:34 PM.
post #12 of 61 Old 05-01-2020, 09:06 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by TecateLight View Post
out of curiosity is your cousin a smoker?
i suspect if smokers at that age contract the virus would have an even harder to to overcome
She doesn't smoke. Healthy lifestyle, but allergies.
post #13 of 61 Old 05-30-2020, 04:49 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by avensis View Post
Why do some people have severe symptoms and not others?
COVID-19 raises a lot of questions.

Because everybodys immune system is different and all the possible contributing health factors people might have. Young and no other issues you may not know you ever had it. Old with COPD/Asthma and immune issues you're probably going to end up on a ventilator.
post #14 of 61 Old 05-30-2020, 07:53 PM

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Just so people know about 90% of people put on ventilators die. This holds true for covid 19, but also for any other reason. If you get TB or any other infection and get put on a ventilator you have about a 90% chance of dying. A ventilator is essential a Hail Mary pass that doesn’t work much, but all else has already failed.

This is why I don’t get why states beg for ventilators, when getting anything else would help save more people.
DigVid likes this.
post #15 of 61 Old 06-27-2020, 12:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 50
If you guys did a little research, you’d find this is because they were being misdiagnosed... Hospitals were getting $13,000 to claim someone has CV19. Another $35,000 to throw people on ventilators. People walking in with a common cold, the flu or even allergies with coughing were told they have CV19 and numerous throw on ventilators which made them sicker since they didn’t need them. Because of this, numerous died.
This is well documented if you do research but mainstream media is trying to hide it and cover it up claiming it’s conspiracy.

Not only that, they kept lying about death numbers. Got hit by a car and died, no it was corona... Sky diving and parachute failed and you went splat? Nope.. you died of corona. They listed all sorts of deaths as corona caused just to scare the masses.

Entire thing was BS to strip our freedoms, cause chaos and control us. You doubt me? Look at yourself, and all others obeying the media and government to wear mask, social distance and were told to stay home as the world economy was closed and millions lost work and income. Think of that for a bit and how that has never happened, more die from the flu. Then consider how long this has been going on and how at first they reported people collapsing on the streets dead and kept changing stories, and how they claim UV kills the virus.. Yet it’s summer and their continuing to report new cases always.
Deaf-Forever likes this.

3D items I own:

Sony 46" LX900 active 3D set

Sony HMZ-T3 (Cushion pads and light blocker mod)

LG LW6500 passive 3D set

PS3 & PS4

Sony BDP-S570 BD3D player

JVC-GS-TD1 (with Cyclopital base extender)

Fujifilm W3

Sony Alpha 55 (for 3D panoramic photos)

Quadcopter + Zenmuse and GoPro Hero 3 (Filming...

post #16 of 61 Old 06-27-2020, 03:41 AM

Take off the tin-foil hat. It apparently blocks common sense and only allows conspiracy theories to alter your perception.
rboster, archiguy, DigVid and 6 others like this.

If you can’t explain it simply, you don’t understand it well enough – Albert Einstein
post #17 of 61 Old 06-27-2020, 05:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2566 Post(s)
Liked: 3470
Quote:
Originally Posted by bravia3D View Post
...Entire thing was BS to strip our freedoms, cause chaos and control us. You doubt me? Look at yourself, and all others obeying the media and government to wear mask, social distance and were told to stay home as the world economy was closed and millions lost work and income. Think of that for a bit and how that has never happened, more die from the flu. Then consider how long this has been going on and how at first they reported people collapsing on the streets dead and kept changing stories, and how they claim UV kills the virus.. Yet it’s summer and their continuing to report new cases always.

Damn, I liked your post on the other thread.
post #18 of 61 Old 06-27-2020, 08:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Funny how extremist fringe rants can go so far out they are easily viewed as parody. There's also a parallel with the coronavirus in that some people are more susceptible to infection than others. Hopefully everyone here has a healthy immune system when a super spreader pops up in the room.
markb1234 likes this.
post #19 of 61 Old 06-27-2020, 01:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post
Take off the tin-foil hat. It apparently blocks common sense and only allows conspiracy theories to alter your perception.
Tin foil is a conductor, they teach that in school you know... You been watching to much media programming.
You should stop watching mainstream, apparently it blocks common sense, critical thinking and dumbs people down.

3D items I own:

Sony 46" LX900 active 3D set

Sony HMZ-T3 (Cushion pads and light blocker mod)

LG LW6500 passive 3D set

PS3 & PS4

Sony BDP-S570 BD3D player

JVC-GS-TD1 (with Cyclopital base extender)

Fujifilm W3

Sony Alpha 55 (for 3D panoramic photos)

Quadcopter + Zenmuse and GoPro Hero 3 (Filming...

post #20 of 61 Old 06-27-2020, 02:03 PM
Administrator
Administrator

Mentioned: 482 Post(s)
Quoted: 1782 Post(s)
Liked: 1462
Reminder: Fact check what you read here (or anywhere else).

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.
Always post about products, never post about other members.
Join the AVS Forum Club and help support the site.
AVS Forum is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with AV Science Inc.
post #21 of 61 Old 06-27-2020, 02:44 PM

Reality check before you post here.

post #22 of 61 Old 06-27-2020, 02:58 PM

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 1831 Post(s)
Liked: 2762
I find it interesting that people who claim to go against the mainstream for their information and call those who read or watch well respected news sources "sheeple" ....remind me of emo-teens. Emo-teens think of themselves are not following the establishment. They look down on the kids that buy into school, HS clubs, sports and activities etc etc. They think they look different through clothes, make up, the music they listen to etc etc.

In reality, they are just a different group, but a collective that are alternative followers. There is music, stores (hot topic ), magazines etc etc that cater to their "individualism".

The conspiracy theoriest are no different. They think are on the cutting edge of the "truth", but in reality they are just following those that are taking advantage of their vulnerabilities. It's sad. Very much like a charlatan taking advantage of the vulnerable in their flock.
archiguy, drh3b, beervo2 and 1 others like this.

FS: RUIPRO 8K Fiber DisplayPort Cable 33 feet : https://www.avsforum.com/forum/211-a...d-support.html
post #23 of 61 Old 06-27-2020, 03:40 PM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 7008 Post(s)
Liked: 7992
The reason Americans seem so prone to believe paranoid conspiracy theories is that there has been an active and pernicious campaign to discredit mainstream news organizations in recent years (well, going back about 30 years now). People have been told not to trust the very organizations, newspapers, networks, and other sources composed of professional journalists who wake up every morning dedicated to ferreting out the truth and getting the reporting right.

They have been told this by individuals & organizations whose primary mission is to misinform and mislead, usually for political advantage. As a consequence, there is a significant portion of the American public who simply refuses to accept legitimate reporting or factual evidence because they simply don't trust those outlets. There is another significant percentage who just doesn't know what to believe since there is so much disinformation out there. And then there are the conspiracy theorists who believe any batpoop crazy thing they hear as long as it generally coincides with their particular brand of paranoia.

Professional journalists from mainstream news organizations operate under a standard of professional ethics and most have layers of editorial control to help make sure what gets out to the public is as factual and truthful as possible. They require confirmation of sources and their facts & evidence are double & triple checked. Being human, the occasionally make a mistake. But when that happens, they immediately issue a correction, retraction, and even an apology when required. That's what professionals do. That's how they're trained.

The biggest problem we have in this country right now, the reason we are so divided, the reason we can't seem to solve problems that other countries solve rather easily, is that we can no longer agree on a common set of facts. This is a relatively new phenomenon. To be honest, I don't know what the answer is. But this much I do know: It's not getting any better. And given the trend lines, it's only going to get worse.
post #24 of 61 Old 06-27-2020, 04:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 47
*sigh* I'm kinda curious what happened to my conspiracy nut buddy since i left my last job. And if anyone he knows has been hit with the 'rona.

"They wanna take my freedums to go to the barber!" This guy would send me youtube links for some crazy stuff with only like 5 views.... When i pointed it out to him he said "That's because they don't want anyone to know this stuff" and i said "well why doesn't youtube take it down then?"
And everything goes back to either the "juice" or the Queen of England
SuperFist likes this.

Kef Q100 - Klipsch RP-160M - Elac B5 - BS22 - SVS SB1000 - Monoprice 9723 - VSX-1124 - RX-V675 - 40'' 4K Sammy - 55'' 4K HiSense

Last edited by Kingcarcas; 06-27-2020 at 04:30 PM.
post #25 of 61 Old 06-27-2020, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
The reason Americans seem so prone to believe paranoid conspiracy theories is that there has been an active and pernicious campaign to discredit mainstream news organizations in recent years (well, going back about 30 years now). People have been told not to trust the very organizations, newspapers, networks, and other sources composed of professional journalists who wake up every morning dedicated to ferreting out the truth and getting the reporting right.

They have been told this by individuals & organizations whose primary mission is to misinform and mislead, usually for political advantage. As a consequence, there is a significant portion of the American public who simply refuses to accept legitimate reporting or factual evidence because they simply don't trust those outlets. There is another significant percentage who just doesn't know what to believe since there is so much disinformation out there. And then there are the conspiracy theorists who believe any batpoop crazy thing they hear as long as it generally coincides with their particular brand of paranoia.

Professional journalists from mainstream news organizations operate under a standard of professional ethics and most have layers of editorial control to help make sure what gets out to the public is as factual and truthful as possible. They require confirmation of sources and their facts & evidence are double & triple checked. Being human, the occasionally make a mistake. But when that happens, they immediately issue a correction, retraction, and even an apology when required. That's what professionals do. That's how they're trained.

The biggest problem we have in this country right now, the reason we are so divided, the reason we can't seem to solve problems that other countries solve rather easily, is that we can no longer agree on a common set of facts. This is a relatively new phenomenon. To be honest, I don't know what the answer is. But this much I do know: It's not getting any better. And given the trend lines, it's only going to get worse.
I'm standing up and clapping right now. Well said. The sad reality is the public (in general) haven't supported their local print publications. These same publications hold local goverment and society as a whole to "up to the light". If we lose the local reporting, we lose an important check and balance in our community. What's replaced the local paper doesn't have the same set of ethics and standards that professional journalist adhere to.
drh3b and mik2h like this.

FS: RUIPRO 8K Fiber DisplayPort Cable 33 feet : https://www.avsforum.com/forum/211-a...d-support.html
post #26 of 61 Old 06-27-2020, 08:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

America's founding fathers considered a healthy free press to be a cornerstone of a successful democratic republic and codified its protection in the First Amendment of the Constitution of the United States of America. It's one of many checks and balances they included in the Constitution to protect citizens from anyone in government gaining unchecked power for nefarious purposes.

Thomas Jefferson had this to say about it:

Quote:
To the press alone, chequered as it is with abuses, the world is indebted for all the triumphs which have been gained by reason and humanity over error and oppression.

No government ought to be without censors, and, where the press is free, no one ever will.

The only security of all is in a free press.
The credibility of a free press is therefore a key target for oppressors who seek to destroy the security of the American people. America's press has always been a target of repressive regimes around the globe that seek to gain strength by weakening the United States and other western democracies. It's also a target of American politicians who want to control everything that's said about them in the press the way the despots who run repressive regimes control the press in their countries.

Benjamin Franklin summed it up like this:

Quote:
Whoever would overthrow the liberty of a nation must begin by subduing the freeness of speech; a thing terrible to publick traytors.
rboster, markb1234, drh3b and 1 others like this.
post #27 of 61 Old 06-28-2020, 07:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 1030 Post(s)
Liked: 945
The mainstream media has been shown to falsify and distort numerous stories - they are no longer unbiased, each outlet has an agenda. Smaller, independent news sources that lack the major funding tend to deliver more accurate news.

The fella a few posts back was right - New York was very quick to put people on respirators, unfortunately to their peril.

They forced retirement/nursing homes to accept infected elderly people, and those places accounted for over 1/3 of all covid deathsIn the state.

They didn’t stop subways from running 24/7 until May 5 to give workers some time to disinfect the cars.

New York unfortunately made a lot of mistakes, and it’s reflected in their death count.
post #28 of 61 Old 06-28-2020, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCallas View Post
The mainstream media has been shown to falsify and distort numerous stories - they are no longer unbiased, .
That's just not a fair or accurate statement. Do publications like the NY Times make mistakes? Yes, they are not infallible.

A local sportscaster likes to ask the question, when a caller says fire X coach, gm etc. If not this person, than who? So, who provides better, factual, balanced news than the mainstream media (like the NY Times for example)?
archiguy, Ratman and mik2h like this.

post #29 of 61 Old 06-28-2020, 08:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCallas View Post
...New York was very quick to put people on respirators, unfortunately to their peril.

They forced retirement/nursing homes to accept infected elderly people, and those places accounted for over 1/3 of all covid deathsIn the state...
Covid patients placed on respirators at state directive? hilarious

Stop the BS.

March 13, 2020

When should a nursing home accept a resident who was diagnosed with COVID-19 from a hospital?

A nursing home can accept a resident diagnosed with COVID-19 and still under Transmission-Based Precautions for COVID-19 as long as the facility can follow CDC guidance for Transmission-Based Precautions...

https://www.cms.gov/files/document/q...nh-revised.pdf

mik2h likes this.

Last edited by bmcn; 06-28-2020 at 11:34 AM.
post #30 of 61 Old 06-28-2020, 08:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboster View Post
...Do publications like the NY Times make mistakes? Yes, they are not infallible...

Ask Judith Miller.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Coronavirus Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page