AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Coronavirus Discussion (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/500-coronavirus-discussion/)
-   -   Poll: Would You Go to a Movie Theater Without a COVID-19 Vaccine? (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/500-coronavirus-discussion/3140630-poll-would-you-go-movie-theater-without-covid-19-vaccine.html)

imagic 04-29-2020 05:08 AM

Poll: Would You Go to a Movie Theater Without a COVID-19 Vaccine?
 
Recent polling has shown that the majority of Americans are hesitant to go to any large indoor gathering, such as a concert, convention or movie theater, before a vaccine for COVID-19 is developed. This poll is to ascertain under what conditions people are willing to return to commercial theaters to watch movies.

Peja 04-29-2020 09:51 AM

I voted I'm done but that started decades before Covid-19.

dg33 04-29-2020 11:27 AM

Why would I possibly take the risk of getting sick, possibly very sick, possibly dying a miserable death to watch a movie that in a few months I can stream? So my answer is no.

bluesky636 04-29-2020 11:31 AM

I'll go when it is proven safe to do so by medical personnel, not by some politician.

MATTHEW PATIENT 04-29-2020 11:32 AM

i didnt like going to the movies before....suppose i wont be tok worried about attending in the future


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Panson 04-29-2020 11:43 AM

The writing was on the wall. Home safe.

https://th.bing.com/th/id/OIP.mQi3XV...=7&o=5&pid=1.7

eljaycanuck 04-29-2020 11:50 AM

The poll option I would have picked had it been available is:

  • I'll go to theaters if the movie is worth seeing on the really-big screen and the theater is lightly peopled*.
_________________
(*Not because of C19 concerns but to minimize the chance of ending up near an inconsiderate idiot.)

TitusTroy 04-29-2020 12:03 PM

I'd rather wait until it's safer...whether that means a vaccine or some sort of time period elapsing I'm not sure...even before the virus, I've been more picky as to what movies I want to see in theatres- real 70mm IMAX and Dolby Cinema

rseven 04-29-2020 12:55 PM

There’s nothing I’m dying to see. Okay, bad joke. I’d go post vaccine, if they ever develop one. (Such things are not automatic)

spaceghost 04-29-2020 01:24 PM

Yes, but that's because there is no vaccine for a virus that continually changes. We love movie popcorn and the theater experience but all these movie theater companies need to stop saying "magic of the movies", they all say it now and it gets a little tiresome to hear. Then again we've had a great time renting some of the newest movies and watching in our little home theater.

BTW, don't let the media scare you to death, they're doing a great job at that. The main doctors involved at the highest levels are in cahoots with certain people trying to sell everyone in the world yearly vaccines. These same people promised a pandemic in Trump's administration over 2 years ago (plenty of video footage of this). I'm NOT a huge conspiracy nut but my conspiracy friends have shown me enough to realize something smells rotten in Denmark, especially when Gates is ready for phase 3 of a "vaccine" before the virus even got released. If you want to understand why a COVID vaccine is theoretically impossible research the flu vaccine and how it doesn't prevent people from getting new strains of the virus. Then realize the strain has mutated at least twice in the last 3 months so Gate's vaccine is now severely outdated and won't prevent anything. But he'll be successful in selling 6 billion of them since virus vaccines is a repeatable business, and forcing everyone to buy yearly vaccines going forward. Vaccines only work with virus' that don't mutate.

epj1906 04-29-2020 01:27 PM

I will not set foot in a theater until there is clear, irrefutable medical evidence that COVID-19 is under control and there is a vaccine and rapid testing widespread. Even then there will need to be something really big I want to see on an IMAX screen.

TitusTroy 04-29-2020 01:45 PM

are movie chains going to lower prices to encourage people to come to the theaters?...free medium popcorn and drink with your ticket?

wookiegr 04-29-2020 01:48 PM

I've hated movie theaters for years. Force Awakens was the last straw for me. People suck and have no respect for anyone else but themselves. That is why you must have a home theater instead.

Ratman 04-29-2020 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TitusTroy (Post 59568760)
are movie chains going to lower prices to encourage people to come to the theaters?...free medium popcorn and drink with your ticket?

They could be "free" admission. I won't be there.

That would be equal to drinking the water in the kiddie pool on a hot summer day.

Jonas2 04-29-2020 01:54 PM

Yeah, I'd totally go. I'd be careful, but I'd go. I've already had two concerts and a convention cancelled out from under me. I'm pissed. Never said I was logical, or rational. :):o:D

That said, I get to the theater maybe once or twice a year, gotta be something I really, really want to see. Everything else, I can wait for the disk, or stream it as my least liked choice.

jujuman200 04-29-2020 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spaceghost (Post 59568624)
Yes, but that's because there is no vaccine for a virus that continually changes. We love movie popcorn and the theater experience but all these movie theater companies need to stop saying "magic of the movies", they all say it now and it gets a little tiresome to hear. Then again we've had a great time renting some of the newest movies and watching in our little home theater.

BTW, don't let the media scare you to death, they're doing a great job at that. The main doctors involved at the highest levels are in cahoots with certain people trying to sell everyone in the world yearly vaccines. These same people promised a pandemic in Trump's administration over 2 years ago (plenty of video footage of this). I'm NOT a huge conspiracy nut but my conspiracy friends have shown me enough to realize something smells rotten in Denmark, especially when Gates is ready for phase 3 of a "vaccine" before the virus even got released. If you want to understand why a COVID vaccine is theoretically impossible research the flu vaccine and how it doesn't prevent people from getting new strains of the virus. Then realize the strain has mutated at least twice in the last 3 months so Gate's vaccine is now severely outdated and won't prevent anything. But he'll be successful in selling 6 billion of them since virus vaccines is a repeatable business, and forcing everyone to buy yearly vaccines going forward. Vaccines only work with virus' that don't mutate.

Do NOT trust these so called vaccines.... I have not had a Flu shot since 1988 and since then have gotten the actual Flu THREE TIMES since then.... I suffer from bad allergies and I know the difference..... they want to chip you... pay attention people...


Juju

AnalogHD 04-29-2020 01:59 PM

I've long preferred my home theater - it's completely dark with no signs, it's got excellent PQ, it's got great sound: dead quiet for the silent moments, never too quiet, never too loud. The movie is always just right, and the timing is always just perfect. The snacks are gourmet food, at the cost of theater popcorn, there's top-shelf drinks to go with them, and ample room all around.

What's not to like?

Ratman 04-29-2020 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jujuman200 (Post 59568848)
... they want to chip you... pay attention people...

Too many sci-fi movies.

TitusTroy 04-29-2020 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonas2 (Post 59568822)
Yeah, I'd totally go. I'd be careful, but I'd go. I've already had two concerts and a convention cancelled out from under me. I'm pissed. Never said I was logical, or rational. :):o:D

That said, I get to the theater maybe once or twice a year, gotta be something I really, really want to see. Everything else, I can wait for the disk, or stream it as my least liked choice.

I also think a big part of this decision has to do with your age and overall health...if you're not in the 'at risk' group then the decision to go these public gatherings is easier

Jonas2 04-29-2020 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jujuman200 (Post 59568848)
Do NOT trust these so called vaccines.... I have not had a Flu shot since 1988 and since then have gotten the actual Flu THREE TIMES since then.... I suffer from bad allergies and I know the difference..... they want to chip you... pay attention people...


Well, the chip thing is a bit conspiratorial, but I've never had a flu vaccine, and I've never had the flu.....:) Knock on wood.....:o

jujuman200 04-29-2020 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ratman (Post 59568888)
Too many sci-fi movies.

You keep thinking that... BTW you have been able to chip your pets for decades now...


Juju

Ratman 04-29-2020 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TitusTroy (Post 59568906)
I also think a big part of this decision has to do with your age and overall health...if you're not in the 'at risk' group then the decision to go these public gatherings is easier

It's not "me" I'm worried about. It's about others being irresponsible infecting me and others. Most people have the "it's not going to happen to me" syndrome.


Also... how well the staff disinfects everything in the theater between showings.

Ratman 04-29-2020 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jujuman200 (Post 59568922)
You keep thinking that... BTW you have been able to chip your pets for decades now...


Juju

Don't have pets and it's not done without permission/request AFAIK.

Bad Juju! :p

TitusTroy 04-29-2020 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ratman (Post 59568958)
It's not "me" I'm worried about. It's about others being irresponsible infecting me and others. Most people have the "it's not going to happen to me" syndrome

Also... how well the staff disinfects everything in the theater between showings.

you say it's not about 'you' but then you talk about other people being irresponsible and infecting you...

Ratman 04-29-2020 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ratman (Post 59568958)
It's not "me" I'm worried about. It's about others being irresponsible infecting me and others.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TitusTroy (Post 59568974)
you say it's not about 'you' but then you talk about other people being irresponsible and infecting you...

Yes... just like drivers talking on the phone and/or texting.
I know that I can be responsible.

Jess Sayin 04-29-2020 03:19 PM

Does this forum not have administrators to delete irresponsible and dangerous troll posts?

Questions about vaccine effectiveness are valid, but anti-vax claims and conspiracy theories presented as facts actually reinforce dangerous behavior that, in cases such as flu and Covid 19, can lead to death for vulnerable populations.

On the poll, and from perspective as a health educator and personnel specialist for a hospital, and as someone who still likes to see movies in theater (usually IMAX or equivalent upgraded theater brands, and especially if 3D), I would return when we are between options 2 & 3. I voted 2 (when number of cases have significantly reduced). But the healthcare educator in me would prefer, if an option:

When theaters ensure social distance spacing between seats and rows, customers and staff wear face masks, and the local government has a vigorous contact-tracing and testing program to isolate and prevent uncontrolled spread of Covid19.

Vaccine would be ideal, but good community control of the spread (including contact tracing guided by testing) would be enough for me to return to theaters and other businesses.

As for vaccines: they are as effective as each specific vaccine tests indicate (varies, depends on the specific illness it prevents). Flu vaccines are effective against the specific strain of flu expected based on early season cases indicate for that season. Sometimes an unexpected strain also arises, and the initial vaccine for that season would control the strain it is designed for, but less effective against unexpected strains. Those who are vulnerable benefit from the vaccine.

We don't yet know if a Covid19 disease vaccine would be long-lasting (like rubella vaccine) or need to be taken seasonally (like flu vaccine). The answer will be based on evidence. My advice: Trust evidence, it is always more reliable than uninformed hunches or rumour. Evidence-based healthcare is the standard that can and does control or treat dangerous illnesses most effectively. When theaters base their business on evidence of what reduces spread inside their business, then I'll return.

imagic 04-29-2020 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jess Sayin (Post 59569436)
Does this forum not have administrators to delete irresponsible and dangerous troll posts?

Questions about vaccine effectiveness are valid, but anti-vax claims and conspiracy theories presented as facts actually reinforce dangerous behavior that, in cases such as flu and Covid 19, can lead to death for vulnerable populations.

I reported the anti-vax comments to the moderators and suggest you and anyone else who can, do the same.

Mike Lang 04-29-2020 03:59 PM

While AVS Forum may not agree with certain fringe beliefs, we're trying to allow all sides here so long as they're made respectfully.

We're not in the practice of banning people or pulling their posts just because they claim 4K can't be seen by the human eye or that all interconnect cables must cost at least $25k/ft . :)

Keep your ignore lists current so as to have the most enjoyable experience while here.

johng 04-29-2020 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Lang (Post 59569708)
While AVS Forum may not agree with certain fringe beliefs, we're trying to allow all sides here so long as they're made respectfully.

We're not in the practice of banning people or pulling their posts just because they claim 4K can't be seen by the human eye or that all interconnect cables must cost at least $25k/ft . :)

Keep your ignore lists current so as to have the most enjoyable experience while here.

I think you miss the basic point: they are off topic. At least claims about 4K and interconnects are relevant to the reason this forum exists. Talk about Vaccine's has nothing to do with the topic of this thread or with Home Theater. Just keep the posts on topic or delete them.

Jonas2 04-29-2020 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jess Sayin (Post 59569436)
Does this forum not have administrators to delete irresponsible and dangerous troll posts?

Questions about vaccine effectiveness are valid, but anti-vax claims and conspiracy theories presented as facts actually reinforce dangerous behavior that, in cases such as flu and Covid 19, can lead to death for vulnerable populations.

Who's presenting any such thing as a scientific fact? Looks to me like people are just expressing opinions and experiences...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Lang (Post 59569708)
While AVS Forum may not agree with certain fringe beliefs, we're trying to allow all sides here so long as they're made respectfully.

We're not in the practice of banning people or pulling their posts just because they claim 4K can't be seen by the human eye or that all interconnect cables must cost at least $25k/ft . :)

Keep your ignore lists current so as to have the most enjoyable experience while here.

Thank you! :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by johng (Post 59569790)
Talk about Vaccine's has nothing to do with the topic of this thread or with Home Theater. Just keep the posts on topic or delete them.

Sure it does, it's in the poll and the title of the thread! And this forum doesn't exist for Covid-19, so this subforum is a side show. Of course stuff like this is gonna elicit interesting responses and lead to straying. (Just check out the other Covid threads....) But this one is staying civil, and so long as it does, let it roll....;)


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:18 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.