Forum Jump: 
 8Likes

post #1 of 49 Old 02-12-2009, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Anything going on in the Atlanta, GA area any time soon? I'd be more than willing to host, but my theater only seats 3 in comfort plus a couple more using temporary seating.

BenQ TK800 | Silver Ticket 106" 16:9 1.0 Grey | Marantz SR6011 | B&W P6 | B&W CDMC SE | Sonance .5 THX SUR | MCM In-Ceiling Atmos | Ascendant Avalanche 12" in 6 ft^3 @ 18Hz w/ BASH 500w Plate Amp | Sony X800 | NVidia Shield TV Pro | XBox One 500gb | Nintendo Switch | Harmony Smart Control | SmartThings Hub | Google Home | AT&T Fiber 300 | YouTube TV | Netflix | HBO Now | Spotify
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 Old 04-14-2009, 06:06 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Stephen,

There used to be a group of folks that met here in Atlanta. Great group of guys. I was fortunate enough to be able to go to theaters that were all DIY, even down to the speakers and to some really nice professionally done ones.

But the group died out a year or two ago. Not sure why interest was lost. I suspect that home theaters became more mainstream.

Perhaps you can generate some interest.

Mark
post #3 of 49 Old 04-14-2009, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Might be tough given this thread is 2 months old and only has one reply. Anyone else in the ATL area, or even GA/AL/SC/TN want to try to put together something? I'm more than willing to organize if there's interest, but my place will only hold 3, maybe 5 or 6 with some temp seating.

BenQ TK800 | Silver Ticket 106" 16:9 1.0 Grey | Marantz SR6011 | B&W P6 | B&W CDMC SE | Sonance .5 THX SUR | MCM In-Ceiling Atmos | Ascendant Avalanche 12" in 6 ft^3 @ 18Hz w/ BASH 500w Plate Amp | Sony X800 | NVidia Shield TV Pro | XBox One 500gb | Nintendo Switch | Harmony Smart Control | SmartThings Hub | Google Home | AT&T Fiber 300 | YouTube TV | Netflix | HBO Now | Spotify
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 49 Old 05-24-2009, 06:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I know this is a bit late, but I'm about 3.5 hours away in TN. I may be interested if you get something together. I just had a good size subwoofer meet at my house last month. It was a lot of fun. If I may make a suggestion...If you have a specific interest (projectors, speakers, etc.) it may be better to hold a equipment specific meet. I had a general HT meet posted on here for litterally over a year and only had a few people interested and nothing ever got set up. After I saw someone else hold a subwoofer meet in WI to great success I decided to have one for the south and had people drive up to 8 hours all the way from New Orleans. I also had companies that were kind enough to bring/ship subs from GA and CA. Danley Sound Labs brought 3 great subwoofers up for it.

I'll subscribe to this thread to let me know if you get something going, and if you want any suggestions let me know. It really is a great time, although it's a bit like taking a group from an AA meeting on a field trip to the Jack Daniels distillery. We all have our vices, and home theater stuff is mine.
post #5 of 49 Old 05-28-2009, 02:44 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15
We Atlantans are collectively possibly the most apathetic group of home theater fanatics on AVS.

PSN: KyFriedNate
post #6 of 49 Old 05-28-2009, 03:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

At least you have met a goal. There are tons of full on theaters in Nashville and very few people from here on the forums. We can't even organize to be apathetic. In fact, from my meet I had here in TN, I had one person from Nashville that's on the board.
post #7 of 49 Old 05-29-2009, 01:28 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 11
One of the issues might be driving distance. I'm in Woodstock, the OP is in Douglasville, and another poster is in Alpharetta. That's a lot of driving in typical Atlanta traffic especially given current gas prices.

Regardless, I would enjoy meeting other HT enthusiasts. Perhaps we could get one or more of the local HT companies to sponsor a regular meet.

Cheers,

jr

Knowledge is good. - Emil Faber, Faber College
post #8 of 49 Old 05-31-2009, 09:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by au-734 View Post

One of the issues might be driving distance. I'm in Woodstock, the OP is in Douglasville, and another poster is in Alpharetta. That's a lot of driving in typical Atlanta traffic especially given current gas prices.

Regardless, I would enjoy meeting other HT enthusiasts. Perhaps we could get one or more of the local HT companies to sponsor a regular meet.

Cheers,

jr

If there is a common purpose in the meet (sub shootout, projector shootout, etc.) there is a better chance people will show up...if it's posted in the proper forum (subwoofers, projectors, etc). I know we have this forum to post for area meets, but I know a lot of people don't look in here. I don't often at all, as I like hanging around the DIY speakers and subwoofers forums. Like I've said about my sub shootout, people drove to my place about 45 minutes outside of nashville from as far away as new orleans.

There's always a chance that a company would sponsor an event, but I bet you would have a better shot at having a certain company's product represented at an event. Possibly with a representative along to better explain the product. Worx Audio and Danley Sound Labs being the companies that sent and/or brought items to my meet.
post #9 of 49 Old 07-07-2009, 01:58 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone in Atlanta had their projector caliberated? I have an Epson 6100. Just curious who you used and what it cost. Thanks.
post #10 of 49 Old 09-17-2010, 01:59 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Anyone interested in a meet? I noticed this died out last year, thought I'd give it a shot again since fall is approaching.

Thanks,

Mike

https://www.avsforum.com/t/1432252/dry-lake-cinema

Hanesamatized - June 29th, 2009

post #11 of 49 Old 09-28-2010, 10:48 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
I'd be up for it! My media room is pretty much finished, but I've still got a bar and bathroom to complete, so always looking for ideas...
post #12 of 49 Old 12-22-2010, 08:39 AM

I would be up for one. I'm still planning everything out for my space and aquiring materials. It would be cool to see what others have done

Check out my build - The Den
post #13 of 49 Old 02-04-2011, 04:57 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 126
I would definitely be up for one...
post #14 of 49 Old 02-20-2011, 05:39 PM

Any more info about putting a meet together in the Atlanta area? If we can't get something together at someone's house, do you guys think an area store might be interested in hosting? Just a thought.
post #15 of 49 Old 02-20-2011, 06:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Not in atlanta but have hosted a meet before and am halfway thinking of having another. Haven't decided when or a format yet. My last one was subwoofers. Thinking maybe speakers this time.
post #16 of 49 Old 03-04-2011, 12:03 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Cool, you're in easy striking distance for me, and it would be a good excuse for me to take a nice spirited motorcycle ride through the N. Georgia mountains If you do set something up, definitely let us know.

I'm certainly open to hosting as well. I don't have a huge theater room, but could accomodate 8-10. I'm also open to traveling, or assisting with setup or audio/video calibrations.
post #17 of 49 Old 03-04-2011, 01:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

My room isn't huge or much to look at but I have a few decent components in there. I have had a meet at my place before and I believe through the day we had around 20 people over for that meet. Check my sig for that thread. Quite a few pics and a couple videos too. If I can find a place to host huge files I will upload the rest of the videos. Once I get home I will post a link to the speaker meet I am having.
post #18 of 49 Old 03-04-2011, 03:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

post #19 of 49 Old 09-18-2016, 01:51 PM

Liked: 1
Reading this thread, i suppose meetings in atlanta didnt take off..?

Please contact me directly as i am interested in this.
post #20 of 49 Old 09-18-2016, 05:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1166 Post(s)
Liked: 977
Quote:
Originally Posted by akapur01 View Post
Reading this thread, i suppose meetings in atlanta didnt take off..?

Please contact me directly as i am interested in this.

Nah, be nice if it did though. We're about to move and hopefully can get something going in my new basement next year. If I can get it presentable I'll let y'all know.

Sent using Tapatalk since the mobile version is still

"Rockbiter" DO SI18 sub build - https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-d...o-si-18-a.html
Ambesolman's Cleverly Titled Theater build - https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-de...ter-build.html
post #21 of 49 Old 09-18-2016, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman View Post
Nah, be nice if it did though. We're about to move and hopefully can get something going in my new basement next year. If I can get it presentable I'll let y'all know.

I joined the forum hoping to find someone who is about to build a theater as i plan on building one. Just have a ton of research to do. Are you building one yourself?
post #22 of 49 Old 09-18-2016, 10:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I joined the forum hoping to find someone who is about to build a theater as i plan on building one. Just have a ton of research to do. Are you building one yourself?

Nothing like a lot of folks here. It'll be a good while before I have the funds to do something elaborate. The plan is to start simple with some acoustic panels, screen, pj, etc.. I'll have to slowly piece it all together, but will really need to get settled in the new house (and sell our current one) and figure out how to best use the space we'll have.

"Rockbiter" DO SI18 sub build - https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-d...o-si-18-a.html
Ambesolman's Cleverly Titled Theater build - https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-de...ter-build.html
post #23 of 49 Old 09-19-2016, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman View Post
Nothing like a lot of folks here. It'll be a good while before I have the funds to do something elaborate. The plan is to start simple with some acoustic panels, screen, pj, etc.. I'll have to slowly piece it all together, but will really need to get settled in the new house (and sell our current one) and figure out how to best use the space we'll have.

Totally understand! I am in similar boat. I simply started my search as I wanted a projector, decent sound, and some ok lighting in a room to watch falcons. I discovered this forum and couldn't believe some of the theaters folks have built here. The site does lack info on estimated spend. My guess is there are reasons behind why folks don't post it. I know audio/video equipment varies in price but construction cost of labor/material should be within ballpark adjusted for geography. I am still getting my head around some of this.
post #24 of 49 Old 09-29-2016, 02:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Totally understand! I am in similar boat. I simply started my search as I wanted a projector, decent sound, and some ok lighting in a room to watch falcons. I discovered this forum and couldn't believe some of the theaters folks have built here. The site does lack info on estimated spend. My guess is there are reasons behind why folks don't post it. I know audio/video equipment varies in price but construction cost of labor/material should be within ballpark adjusted for geography. I am still getting my head around some of this.
I believe @HopefulFred is in your neck of the woods.

Nobody really discusses price because the construction is so wildly different and most of us do it ourselves. If you are hiring a contractor the same reasoning applies.

If you have a plan you can post it any we can ballpark it for you.

Tim
post #25 of 49 Old 09-29-2016, 06:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 575 Post(s)
Liked: 530
I am indeed in at least this general neck of the woods... which is to say, I am within the city limits It seems that most "Atlanta" people are not actually in the city or even inside the perimeter. That is probably one of the main reasons that there hasn't been a lot of interest in get-togethers around here. Douglasville is not exactly local to Cumming, or Stockbridge to Acworth.

In any case, I am indeed still building. It's been a long time going... In terms of budget, I think it's hard to estimate for a variety of reasons - some of which Tim highlighted. I have lost track of my spending long ago, but I think I am in general on the budget I had set for myself after I got good and started. I initially thought I could do what I wanted for 15-20 thousand dollars. After I got about a year into it, I realized it would probably be 30. It might creep to 35, but I am no longer tracking. The way I figure, you should look at it like a major recreational investment. What would you spend for a boat, or a pool or an extra car? It could be anywhere from $5000 to ten times that, depending on your tastes and expectations, as well as you willingness and ability to save by doing it yourself. If you are the sort to want a new BMW, you'll probably spend that much on a theater. If you set your sites on a 10-year-old Miata as a super investment in your leisure, you might get away with the same budget for a theater.

As Tim said, if you have some ideas (priorities, constraints, an approximate floorplan), you can post and get lots of feedback and guidance.
Mr.Tim likes this.
post #26 of 49 Old 10-04-2016, 11:19 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 5
HopefulFred, good to see some folks from atlanta here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopefulFred View Post
I am indeed in at least this general neck of the woods... which is to say, I am within the city limits It seems that most "Atlanta" people are not actually in the city or even inside the perimeter. That is probably one of the main reasons that there hasn't been a lot of interest in get-togethers around here. Douglasville is not exactly local to Cumming, or Stockbridge to Acworth.

In any case, I am indeed still building. It's been a long time going... In terms of budget, I think it's hard to estimate for a variety of reasons - some of which Tim highlighted. I have lost track of my spending long ago, but I think I am in general on the budget I had set for myself after I got good and started. I initially thought I could do what I wanted for 15-20 thousand dollars. After I got about a year into it, I realized it would probably be 30. It might creep to 35, but I am no longer tracking. The way I figure, you should look at it like a major recreational investment. What would you spend for a boat, or a pool or an extra car? It could be anywhere from $5000 to ten times that, depending on your tastes and expectations, as well as you willingness and ability to save by doing it yourself. If you are the sort to want a new BMW, you'll probably spend that much on a theater. If you set your sites on a 10-year-old Miata as a super investment in your leisure, you might get away with the same budget for a theater.

As Tim said, if you have some ideas (priorities, constraints, an approximate floorplan), you can post and get lots of feedback and guidance.
post #27 of 49 Old 10-04-2016, 11:35 AM

Hopefulfred: What area do you live near (or are you actually in atlanta)?
post #28 of 49 Old 10-04-2016, 04:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 575 Post(s)
Liked: 530
I'm in Atlanta - East Atlanta Village area.
post #29 of 49 Old 10-06-2016, 07:21 AM

Oh ok! I am near snellville, GA. Man would love to get some pointers from you as I am thinking about a HT DIY build. I will shoot you a PM to connect. Anyone else you know that is active on the forum from Atlanta area?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopefulFred View Post
I'm in Atlanta - East Atlanta Village area.
post #30 of 49 Old 10-06-2016, 08:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yo!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Area Home Theater Meets

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page