The Official D.M.V (DC/Maryland/Virginia) home theater thread... - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

post #91 of 260 Old 11-26-2010, 07:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys I live in Germantown, MD just off of I-270. I am getting my first HT project done in the basement. Using an installer in Gaithersburg as I dont have enough time to do it myself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 260 Old 12-28-2010, 06:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 11
Anybody here into two-channel???

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink
Mr. Cialella is, without question, the AVS honorary MOST ADMIRED PERSON OF THE YEAR.:D
post #93 of 260 Old 12-28-2010, 08:58 AM

Hampton Roads Area chiming in. Still trying to finish configuring my room above the garage. Awaiting my projector mount and a few other things.

SpartanTS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 260 Old 12-28-2010, 05:23 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschool4life View Post

Anybody here into two-channel???

I might be slightly into it - I might even have a new (lightly used) preamp with HT bypass tomorrow.

Main System (Integrated AV)- Lumin U1, Modwright LS36.5 DM Preamp, Modwright KWA150SE Amp, EMM Labs DAC 2X (ver. 2), Torus RM-20, Thiel CS 3.7s, 2 Rel Storm III subs
Back-up 1 - HAL MS-2 Music Server, Odyssey Candela Preamp, Bryston 3BST Amp, Meitner MA-1 DAC, 2 Richard Gray cond, Ohm Microwalsh Talls, Rel Strata III sub
Back-up 2 - (Integrated AV) HAL MS-3 Music Server, Sherbourn Pre-1, Emotiva XPA 200 Amp, Teac UD-501 DAC, Vansevers cond, B&W P6s, Rel Q150 sub
post #95 of 260 Old 01-08-2011, 09:14 AM

Hi,
I live in Southern Maryland. I have a HT setup in the family room. Unfortunately the water tables are too high here for a basement so cannot do everything that I would like to setup a real HT but I enjoy still enjoy mine. Glad to know there are others in the area that share the hobby. Would definitely like to get together with everybody sometime.

JVC 70" D-Hlia TV
2 - NHT VT-2 Towers
1 - NHT VC-2
4 - Super Zeros
PS3
Denon 4311ci
post #96 of 260 Old 01-11-2011, 09:33 AM

Any events coming up in the area?
post #97 of 260 Old 01-11-2011, 10:12 PM
Advanced Member

We can always do something. I'm going to be done with a bunch of equipment changes between new stuff and the 3 systems in a couple of weeks. I have not had much chance to do things between non-audio stuff and setting up remotes and preferences. I'd like to sit down and do more than a couple of minutes which is all I've had time to do.

Main System (Integrated AV)- Lumin U1, Modwright LS36.5 DM Preamp, Modwright KWA150SE Amp, EMM Labs DAC 2X (ver. 2), Torus RM-20, Thiel CS 3.7s, 2 Rel Storm III subs
Back-up 1 - HAL MS-2 Music Server, Odyssey Candela Preamp, Bryston 3BST Amp, Meitner MA-1 DAC, 2 Richard Gray cond, Ohm Microwalsh Talls, Rel Strata III sub
Back-up 2 - (Integrated AV) HAL MS-3 Music Server, Sherbourn Pre-1, Emotiva XPA 200 Amp, Teac UD-501 DAC, Vansevers cond, B&W P6s, Rel Q150 sub
post #98 of 260 Old 01-22-2011, 11:45 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hi all:
Building my own theater in my basement. Have been researching on line and stumbled on this thread. Wanted to share with you all that a new HT installer has opened a showroom in Tysons Corner. Their website is http://evolutionav.com/
I visited them yesterday and spent about an hour looking at their gear and theater room. They seemed quite knowledgeable and, as one might expect, interested in selling very expensive high end gear. Most of it is out of my price range, but if you want to see what lots money can buy, it is worth a visit. I told them that I plan a 164" wide, 2.40 AT screen, but they tried to talk me out of it because 'the sound quality is bad'. That is contrary to what I have read on this forum. I suspect it might be because they do not sell AT screens.
post #99 of 260 Old 01-29-2011, 04:09 PM

Sounds like there are more than a few HT enthusiasts in the DC area. Is there a club that meets occasionally? Anybody interested in a get-together?
post #100 of 260 Old 01-29-2011, 04:35 PM

I am a newbie building my HT. I think that I will benefit from the experience of others and would be interested in a get-together.
post #101 of 260 Old 01-29-2011, 06:43 PM
Advanced Member

As noted above, we can always do something. I'm pretty close to getting things together. The basement system is ready and the main system is almost there

post #102 of 260 Old 02-02-2011, 02:17 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
JFISHER.. what part of southern maryland do you live in?.. I'm in Hughesville near LaPlata and not far from Waldorf...

DIY.... Since MyerEmco went out of business, I didn't think another high-end av store would move in the Nova area. I work in Tysons Corner, so I will stop by tomorrow around lunch time...

And yes, I commute from Southern Maryland to Tysons Corner... :-(

I'm currently working on my basement theater room and just bought a Grafik Eye on ebay yesterday, so I can complete my lighting projects. The room is still under construction...
post #103 of 260 Old 02-02-2011, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HT_SoulMan View Post

JFISHER.. what part of southern maryland do you live in?.. I'm in Hughesville near LaPlata and not far from Waldorf...

DIY.... Since MyerEmco went out of business, I didn't think another high-end av store would move in the Nova area. I work in Tysons Corner, so I will stop by tomorrow around lunch time...

And yes, I commute from Southern Maryland to Tysons Corner... :-(

HT_SoulMan:
Regarding www.evolutionav.com and their new showroom in Tysons: Visited them about 2 weeks ago. They have a 12" 2.40 screen with Runco LED 750 projector on display. I think that their demo rooms are better than what Myer Emco used to have. However, Dennis T. the salesperson (owner?) there tried to talk me out of an AT screen because 'they don't sound good'. Thankfully, I got the opposite advice on this forum and intend to stick with an AT screen. Their credibility went down a little bit with me.
post #104 of 260 Old 02-03-2011, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYHomeTheater View Post

HT_SoulMan:
Regarding www.evolutionav.com and their new showroom in Tysons: Visited them about 2 weeks ago. They have a 12" 2.40 screen with Runco LED 750 projector on display. I think that their demo rooms are better than what Myer Emco used to have. However, Dennis T. the salesperson (owner?) there tried to talk me out of an AT screen because 'they don't sound good'. Thankfully, I got the opposite advice on this forum and intend to stick with an AT screen. Their credibility went down a little bit with me.

I stopped by the place during lunch time. When I walked in, it was like touring a model home of sorts. Multiple bedroom sized rooms setup with floor and in-wall speakers including projectors and flat screens. I wasn't impressed since they didn't have any kind of accessories to buy. I spent more time in the Adult Store around the corner than Evolutions..
post #105 of 260 Old 02-05-2011, 07:57 AM
Advanced Member

btw, the 2011 Capital Audiofest is now set. It is the second annual one:

http://www.capitalaudiofest.com/

post #106 of 260 Old 02-06-2011, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighEndWire View Post

btw, the 2011 Capital Audiofest is now set. It is the second annual one:

http://www.capitalaudiofest.com/

Everybody should come on Saturday (July 9); so, that way we can go out to eat afterwards at whatever is conviniently located nearby (Red Lobster, Hooters, Olive Garden, etc...).

Quote:
Mr. Cialella is, without question, the AVS honorary MOST ADMIRED PERSON OF THE YEAR.:D
post #107 of 260 Old 02-19-2011, 05:41 PM

I am looking to hire someone to install a wall mount, does anyone have any recommendations?
post #108 of 260 Old 02-20-2011, 06:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by obey908 View Post

I am looking to hire someone to install a wall mount, does anyone have any recommendations?

Probably any decent handyman can do it. I did the kitchen TV by myself. I originally had a 32 inch TV on it and figured the TV wasn't that heavy. It wasn't but I had to get help to hook it on as it was bulky and up too high. I got help with the bedroom since I knew it would take a bit and getting a 55 inch LED up to where it was by myself was out of the question. There's also online help tips at different websites (perhaps even YouTube). I'm sure you could even ask at Best Buy as they do installs. It depends also on whether you will need electrical and antenna stuff done. For the kitchen, when the house was built I had them put a rough in up high and then put the receptacle in myself and terminated the antenna wire too.

post #109 of 260 Old 02-20-2011, 03:52 PM

I would rather do it myself, but my parents bought me the tv as a house warming gift and would like me to have it "professionally" wall mounted. Best Buy wants $300 and I am not sure who to trust on craigslist
post #110 of 260 Old 02-20-2011, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by obey908 View Post

I would rather do it myself, but my parents bought me the tv as a house warming gift and would like me to have it "professionally" wall mounted. Best Buy wants $300 and I am not sure who to trust on craigslist

Nobody...

Quote:
post #111 of 260 Old 02-20-2011, 08:46 PM

Best Buy wanted $300?.. The wires better be hidden and a large faceplate installed to accept new and future cables.
post #112 of 260 Old 02-20-2011, 09:18 PM

$300 to screw the wall mount to the wall and hide the wires, you provide all the materials.
post #113 of 260 Old 02-21-2011, 09:06 AM

I'm sure they recommended the very expensive Monster Cables.. LOL
A decent stud finder, drill, a visit to monoprice.com for video supplies and a few searches on this site will get you going in no time..
post #114 of 260 Old 02-21-2011, 03:29 PM

Yeah, I already have everything from monoprice. Guess I will give mounting it myself a chance.
post #115 of 260 Old 02-25-2011, 10:18 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
What's up gang! My name is Joey and I am in Hampton Roads (Hampton, Newport News, Williamsburg, Norfolk, Richmond, that whole area......).

I'm an avid speaker builder and love just about anything dealing with audio. I've built some projects for people around here (speakers, subwoofers, entertainment centers....) and am currently building to replace my setup.

If any one needs help building some speakers or wants me to build them let me know. I LOVE building.

I'm hoping to have my own place (read HOUSE ) by the end of next year and to begin on my HT room. I just purchased a Panasonic TC-P65S2 plasma to replace my Sony 55" LCD projection, and am currently building Khanspires to replace my Dayton 8's, Dayton RS center to replace my ported Tritrix center, and Markk RS225/28A's for surrounds, all to be ran off an Onkyo 876 and Emotiva XPA-3.

Since I'm building all the new ones the gf is making me get rid of the old. :/ Anybody want it?

The sub stage will be waiting a little while ..... but should be pretty ridiculous when finished.

Hope to get to a meet some time and meet some people!
post #116 of 260 Old 03-02-2011, 09:13 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hello everyone. Could someone refer me an reliable and affordable audio repair shop in the NOVA area (Annandale specifically)? I have an HK 3490 amp that no longer produces any sound. I think it could be an internal short problem. Thanks.
post #117 of 260 Old 03-02-2011, 05:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdenResident View Post

Hello everyone. Could someone refer me an reliable and affordable audio repair shop in the NOVA area (Annandale specifically)? I have an HK 3490 amp that no longer produces any sound. I think it could be an internal short problem. Thanks.

There's only once place to guy as far as I'm concerned and that's Bill Thalmann of Music Technology (musictechnology.com). Bill does repairs for many brands and also area stores. He spent over 25 years with Conrad Johnson, a manufacturer of high end audio equipment. Best of all for you, he is very near to where you live. They are on Port Royal Road in Springfield, probably a mile from the Annandale border (if that).

post #118 of 260 Old 03-04-2011, 09:49 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighEndWire View Post

There's only once place to guy as far as I'm concerned and that's Bill Thalmann of Music Technology (musictechnology.com). Bill does repairs for many brands and also area stores. He spent over 25 years with Conrad Johnson, a manufacturer of high end audio equipment. Best of all for you, he is very near to where you live. They are on Port Royal Road in Springfield, probably a mile from the Annandale border (if that).

Thanks. Their diagnostic fee is a little steep, though. Any other suggestion?
post #119 of 260 Old 03-04-2011, 06:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdenResident View Post

Thanks. Their diagnostic fee is a little steep, though. Any other suggestion?

No - sorry - I would not take anything I would not take my stuff anywhere else if I could not fix it myself (i.e. fuse). I have not been there in a bit but last time it was $80 (probably a few years back). I'd be happy to help try and eliminate the obvious for free if you would want to bring it to me. There's probably I'd guess not much difference in costs between reputable repair shops. I'm not sure if United Radio in upstate NY does HK repairs but they do have a good reputation. You could always do a web search or check with HK as they are headquartered in this area.

post #120 of 260 Old 04-08-2011, 11:00 AM

Hey guys! My name is Tim, I work in Bethesda and live in Georgetown. I am 28 and like long walks on the beach, crochet, bridge, and Beanie Babies.

But seriously folks...

I would be interested in any listening/viewing parties or meetups around the area. I am into two channel and MC audio as well as theater. I live in a condo or I would host... fine for casual viewing but I am sure if we all got together we would be pushing it to "11" al-la-Spinal Tap. If someone ever needs a helping hand doing any install/setup/tuning, my fee is one six pack of beer per day or partial day of work/fun!

Also I will be going to AudioFest! Hopefully we can get something together before then.

My system:
Sony KDL-EX400 LCD 46"
Denon 2309-ci Reciever
Sony BDP-S570 BluRay/SACD/DVD-A
Mac Mini
Mirage OS3-FS towers
Polk SurroundBar (Center, SL, and SR)
DefTech Supercube II
Blue Jeans speaker cables
Belkin HDMI

-Tim
Sponsored Links