Edmonton, Alberta, CAN Theater Owners - Page 42 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 16Likes

post #1231 of 1302 Old 10-30-2014, 03:41 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by AltaHomeTheatre View Post
Went to Winspear last night, just amazing audio there. Been to a couple of events there and now spoiled for concert locations.
100% agree. I see artists I only marginally like at the Winspear just because the sound in there is so damn good.

Best was seeing Chantal Kreviazuk there (an artist I actually like), and it was just her and a piano for the majority of the show...and it sounded utterly amazing. I was on the side balcony halfway back, and it sounded like I was sitting on the stage. What I appreciate most is that you don't even notice "the sound guy". You know it's amplified, and there's speakers...but it sounds like the singer is just naturally singing loud enough for you to hear it clearly....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1232 of 1302 Old 10-30-2014, 04:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
What did you go see?
post #1233 of 1302 Old 10-30-2014, 05:59 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quill View Post
What I appreciate most is that you don't even notice "the sound guy". You know it's amplified, and there's speakers...but it sounds like the singer is just naturally singing loud enough for you to hear it clearly....
That is a perfect description.

I have also gone to concerts that I was not familiar with the artist. I went to see Brandi Carlile recently after listening to a couple songs on YouTube. I am now a huge fan.

She was backed by the Edmonton Symphony Orchestra which made for an amazing concert. She commented on how great the acoustics of the room are. For a couple songs she unhooked her guitar and sang without any amplification. I have heard that other artists have done the same thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1234 of 1302 Old 10-31-2014, 03:02 PM

Liked: 10
Hi guys,

Didn't realize this thread existed until I Googled Linacoustic Alberta. Some really nice setups here, I just finished the basics of my build with a Sony VWPRO1 projector, DIY 120" spandex screen, JBL LC2/L820 wall-mounted front stage, SVS NSD PB12 sub and a Denon X2100 AVR. Working on finishing the room now with some sound treatments and screen wall finishing before getting Palliser seating.

Does anyone have linacoustic leftover from their builds and looking to sell? Also wondering if anyone has a good local source for black fabric to use on the ceiling and screen wall?

Thanks,

Shaun
post #1235 of 1302 Old 10-31-2014, 03:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaunM View Post
Hi guys,

Didn't realize this thread existed until I Googled Linacoustic Alberta. Some really nice setups here, I just finished the basics of my build with a Sony VWPRO1 projector, DIY 120" spandex screen, JBL LC2/L820 wall-mounted front stage, SVS NSD PB12 sub and a Denon X2100 AVR. Working on finishing the room now with some sound treatments and screen wall finishing before getting Palliser seating.

Does anyone have linacoustic leftover from their builds and looking to sell? Also wondering if anyone has a good local source for black fabric to use on the ceiling and screen wall?

Thanks,

Shaun
Sounds like we're at the same stage! AT fabric going up...rack's built...time for treatments.

I started a dialog with GIK acoustics, and it's looking like they want my room to resemble a foam play palace... Any local advice (and materials) would be welcome... hint, hint to some of the local experts
post #1236 of 1302 Old 10-31-2014, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaunM View Post
Also wondering if anyone has a good local source for black fabric to use on the ceiling and screen wall?
Welcome Shaun,

I have had best luck in purchasing from Marshall Discount Fabrics on 63rd Ave. I have bought some black velvet fabric that is very dark and works good. I removed expensive black acoustic ceiling tiles and replaced completely with the black fabric and like it much better. I have also made a number of acoustic panels.

The only negative is that you never know if they are going to have it on stock nor could they give me a name to ask for. Everytime I have purchased I take some of my existing in to match.

There are a number of blacks available and they vary in the degree of blackness. It is amazing how hard it is to get a black black.
post #1237 of 1302 Old 11-03-2014, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LanceSpratt View Post
Quill/Alta,

I have confirmed this afternoon that a DTS10 is headed to Edmonton. Once it arrives I will let you know so that we can look at coordinating a get together in the near future to do some listening.
I have heard that the DTS10 has landed in Edmonton. I plan on getting a demo from Lance and wondering if anyone else would like to join me? If you are not familiar with the DTS10 here is some information from data-bass.

I have never heard one but they were quite popular a couple years ago when they were available in a kit form. The issue with the DTS10 is that it is very large. I currently have a 250 lb+ sub in my room and this is much larger. I am not sure if I have space in my room but I am still very interested in listening to it. Some of the crazy bass-heads on AVS have commented very favourably on this sub.

Depending upon timing as I have not confirmed anything with Lance, it might be possible to combine this with a meet at my house after the demo. I have the Danley SM60F speakers that I am very happy with. I have also been promising a few people to do a demo of JRiver media center and some of its functionality.

Let me know if anyone is interested and I will see if something can get organized.
post #1238 of 1302 Old 11-03-2014, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter
Just add water and stir

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 493
This sub sounds like fun! Count me in.

Let me know when and where. I hope I can make it. Been crazy busy with the new baby. Life upside down.
post #1239 of 1302 Old 11-03-2014, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuluwalker View Post
This sub sounds like fun! Count me in.

Let me know when and where. I hope I can make it. Been crazy busy with the new baby. Life upside down.
Wow - new baby - congratulations! Boy or girl and what is the name?

Huge change in your life, no wonder you have been so quiet on here lately. New more important priorities.

Likely been hard to push that amazing new speaker and sub setup you just got. Looking forward to a demo of that but understand that may be on hold for now.

Will keep you informed of a date and time and would like to ensure you are able to attend.
post #1240 of 1302 Old 11-04-2014, 08:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 999 Post(s)
Liked: 856
Hi guys, I just found this after being here for years. I hope to join you guys for some events and have you guys over to listen and help me with my system.
post #1241 of 1302 Old 11-04-2014, 11:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacklightning View Post
Hi guys, I just found this after being here for years. I hope to join you guys for some events and have you guys over to listen and help me with my system.
Welcome!! I think we need to come up with some sort of GTG schedule as the temperatures plummet....
post #1242 of 1302 Old 11-04-2014, 11:36 PM - Thread Starter
Just add water and stir

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 493
Quote:
Welcome!! I think we need to come up with some sort of GTG schedule as the temperatures plummet....
That is easy. I have been doing this thread for over four years.

Step 1, someone offer.
Step 2, we go.

Anymore than that, and it never happens. Trust me.

Lol
post #1243 of 1302 Old 11-18-2014, 11:07 AM

Liked: 11
Oh, how much I miss this place..

Did it become open to the world after some forum upgrade? I remember not being able to view this thread unless I was logged in.

Did Premier Audio or Sense Audio in Edmonton close down?
post #1244 of 1302 Old 11-18-2014, 11:19 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
New to this forum ..

Hi ..

Well I am from Edmonton and just bought a Sony 55 inch KDL-W790B and love it. For me it is just something to watch BluRays on and general tv viewing.

I do not have an elaborate setup .. just an Onkyo TX-NR525 and 5 PSB Alpha Speakers but I think that it does quite well for me.

I do not know much about AV stuff .. but I am learning and want to say hi to my Edmonton AV enthusiasts here.
post #1245 of 1302 Old 11-19-2014, 02:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 999 Post(s)
Liked: 856
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06S2k View Post
Did Premier Audio or Sense Audio in Edmonton close down?
I noticed they where closed the other day. I always enjoyed Audio Ark a lot better, those guys where great. I always talked with Jack years ago.
post #1246 of 1302 Old 11-19-2014, 09:38 AM

Yeah.. would've been nice to pick up some B&W gear at discounted prices though..

(I'm cheap now.. have a wife on maternity leave and a 5 month'er at home.. disposable income isn't as readily available as it once was).
post #1247 of 1302 Old 11-24-2014, 03:17 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06S2k View Post
Yeah.. would've been nice to pick up some B&W gear at discounted prices though..

(I'm cheap now.. have a wife on maternity leave and a 5 month'er at home.. disposable income isn't as readily available as it once was).
It doesn't get any better, my kids are three now and I still have no disposable income.
post #1248 of 1302 Old 12-17-2014, 03:12 PM

Hi all,

I'm in Sherwood Park and got on this thread following Quill's posts as I have a question for him/her.
I've been building an unpretentious HT for about 5 years now (work done only in Winter) and I'm at the finishing stage.
Everything is primed and what's left is painting, carpet install plus odds and ends.
I used to call it a "man cave", but as my wife followed all the minute work that I've done... the trimmings, the crown molding, etc... she now calls it "hers"
The room is 16.5' long, 12' wide average (wider at the front - narrower at the back) and 9' height with 12" soffit drop all around.
The screen will eventually be about 108" wide and the seating will be at 9' front row and 15' back row (on a 14" raised platform filled with Safe'n'Sond batting that hopefully will act as a bass trap)

So far I bought the following:
Polk Audio's RTiA9 - fronts (there was a killer deal at Future Shop in South Ed Common at $699 for the pair; and from here, of course everything had to match)
CSiA6 - center
FXiA6 - surrounds
65-RT - backs
Onkyo TX-NR818
Emotiva XPA-3

... and that's about it.
Now here is the question for Quill: where did you buy the HW40ES projector?
I checked Bestbuy.ca and they only have the 55ES as an offering; Future Shop doesn't have anything Sony period.

Thanks,
Liviu

Panta Rei
post #1249 of 1302 Old 12-17-2014, 03:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by liviu View Post
Hi all,

I'm in Sherwood Park and got on this thread following Quill's posts as I have a question for him/her.
I've been building an unpretentious HT for about 5 years now (work done only in Winter) and I'm at the finishing stage.
Everything is primed and what's left is painting, carpet install plus odds and ends.
I used to call it a "man cave", but as my wife followed all the minute work that I've done... the trimmings, the crown molding, etc... she now calls it "hers"
The room is 16.5' long, 12' wide average (wider at the front - narrower at the back) and 9' height with 12" soffit drop all around.
The screen will eventually be about 108" wide and the seating will be at 9' front row and 15' back row (on a 14" raised platform filled with Safe'n'Sond batting that hopefully will act as a bass trap)

So far I bought the following:
Polk Audio's RTiA9 - fronts (there was a killer deal at Future Shop in South Ed Common at $699 for the pair; and from here, of course everything had to match)
CSiA6 - center
FXiA6 - surrounds
65-RT - backs
Onkyo TX-NR818
Emotiva XPA-3

... and that's about it.
Now here is the question for Quill: where did you buy the HW40ES projector?
I checked Bestbuy.ca and they only have the 55ES as an offering; Future Shop doesn't have anything Sony period.

Thanks,
Liviu
Happy to hear from a fellow Sherwood
Parkian!

I got the projector from Audio 5.1 (Argyll Rd) for the "street price" at projector central...it was part of a package that included the Yamaha 3040 though. They had to order it, but it came quickly.

Tell them Derek sent you!! ;-)

And the projector rocks...very pleased so far, and I haven't adjusted anything, and it's shooting unto a sheet (jamestown is waaaay late).
post #1250 of 1302 Old 12-18-2014, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liviu View Post
where did you buy the HW40ES projector?
If you know what you want then go to Double-Diamond here in Edmonton. I have bought two projectors from them (JVC X35 and SONY VPL-VW95ES). They dont have a showroom thus you must know what you want. You likely cannot beat their prices anywhere - even internet direct from states. If you are interested I could give you the guy I purchased from.

If you dont know what you want, then Shen at Audio 5.1 has an amazing selection of projectors. He has more projectors setup for demo then most stores carry. Sometimes you have to pay more for that level of service.
post #1251 of 1302 Old 12-22-2014, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltaHomeTheatre View Post
If you know what you want then go to Double-Diamond here in Edmonton. I have bought two projectors from them (JVC X35 and SONY VPL-VW95ES). They dont have a showroom thus you must know what you want. You likely cannot beat their prices anywhere - even internet direct from states. If you are interested I could give you the guy I purchased from.
Thanks Alta,

I know of DD and their prices. The surrounds and backs were purchased there.
I checked them online and didn't see any Sony offering, but with this new info, I'll be paying them a visit soon.

Thanks again.

Panta Rei
post #1252 of 1302 Old 12-29-2014, 02:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Any good deals for a pair of bookshelf / desktop speakers this boxing day week?

Need some speakers in my office to keep the tunes rocking as I'm working.. not my way of spending my christmas break but it is what it is. Ear cans are good until my ears start sweating, then it's just plain gross.
post #1253 of 1302 Old 12-29-2014, 09:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silv View Post
Any good deals for a pair of bookshelf / desktop speakers this boxing day week?

Need some speakers in my office to keep the tunes rocking as I'm working.. not my way of spending my christmas break but it is what it is. Ear cans are good until my ears start sweating, then it's just plain gross.
Memory express has the Klipsch ProMedia on for 139.99, and Futureshop has the Klipsch RB600 Bookshelves on for ~$350 a pair...
post #1254 of 1302 Old 12-30-2014, 03:10 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Anyone attempted the attached fix on their Epson projector? It doesn't look all the difficult but curious if anyone had done it.

My bulb blew violently and since inserting the new bulb I have the same magenta line across the bottom of my image.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-dig...lue-bands.html
post #1255 of 1302 Old 01-04-2015, 07:27 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I guess Calgary doesn't really count as Edmonton and "AREA"
gotta find local brethren to vent wonderful hobby with
post #1256 of 1302 Old 01-07-2015, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostguy79 View Post
I guess Calgary doesn't really count as Edmonton and "AREA"
gotta find local brethren to vent wonderful hobby with
Give mbfleming a call. He lives in Calgary but came to my house once for a meet. He is a great guy and has a great system.
post #1257 of 1302 Old 01-15-2015, 11:30 AM

Very happy to see that this thread is still going strong

2014 was mainly about listening to music for me ... I bought quite a bit of vinyl through the summer and fall and am still enjoying the turntable immensely and listen to it most of the time. I recently subscribed to the Tidal streaming service (replacing Rdio) and have been streaming more than ever (in the main system when I don't have the album on vinyl or CD). It also integrates with Sonos so I can use it throughout most of the house as well as via the Tidal app on my iPhone/iPad. I didn't ignore video completely ... quite a bit of TV series consumed via Netflix upstairs. Movies still are viewed in the theatre/main system.

Recently added more Sonos speakers (Play 3 in the bedroom and Play 1 in the exercise room). I think I will be adding a Playbar upstairs in the living room (to add music capability and simplify the existing setup).

I have also made some additions to the office system ... iPad Mini + Lehmann audio headphone amp + PSB M41U headphones ... have also ordered a Fostex HP-P1 DAC which should arrive this month. I also picked up a pair of B&W P5 headphones for late night listening at home.

I do not expect any changes to the main system aside from a new cartridge at some point ... and a new bulb for the projector in the fall.
post #1258 of 1302 Old 01-15-2015, 12:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcleod View Post
... quite a bit of TV series consumed via Netflix upstairs. Movies still are viewed in the theatre/main system.
Any reason for not watching Netflix in the theatre? I've been very pleasantly surprised at how Netflix looks and sounds at 140" via a hardwired Oppo 103D. If it's not that good-looking, double check your Netflix settings to ensure you are set to receive the highest quality picture.
post #1259 of 1302 Old 01-15-2015, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Any reason for not watching Netflix in the theatre? I've been very pleasantly surprised at how Netflix looks and sounds at 140" via a hardwired Oppo 103D. If it's not that good-looking, double check your Netflix settings to ensure you are set to receive the highest quality picture.
Hi Quill:

I have had an Apple TV (for Netflix and iTunes rentals) in both the theatre and upstairs for years and have been very pleased with the quality thus far. We definitely watch Netflix downstairs as well ... it just depends on the series we are viewing. I also have a Zotac mini PC (running XBMC) downstairs which points to a NAS in my office for movie/TV series viewing.

The downstairs Apple TV has temporarily been loaned out to my parents (who live out of town) since Christmas so they can try out Netflix for a few months. If they like it, I will just buy another Apple TV for the theatre.
post #1260 of 1302 Old 01-20-2015, 11:31 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 231
If anyone is looking for some JTR's...

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/detai...tr-triple-12s/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Area Home Theater Meets

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page