Denver / Fort Collins - Colorado People! - Page 5 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 78Likes

post #121 of 203 Old 02-20-2019, 06:39 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 690 Post(s)
Liked: 624
Meet Up on the 24th.

If you sent me your information as asked I have PM'd you the information.

If you did not get a PM I did not get you name, address and phone number please send over ASAP.

Don

Home Theater: JVC RS2000, Stewart 120" 2:35 StudioTech 130, Panamorph DCR Lens, B&W 802 Nautilus, HTM1, 4-B&W 805's for surround, 4-Martin Logan 22's ceiling speakers ATMOS, 2- PB-16 Ultra Subs, Marantz 8802A, MacIntosh 8207 AMP and Proceed AMP 5, Panasonic 820, Apple TV, XBox One, HTPC with MadVR, Qnap NAS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 203 Old 02-20-2019, 07:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1577 Post(s)
Liked: 701
RS2000 + Paladin DCR

Man, I really wish I could be there at your GTG, but it's a bit far from NC!

If those who will be there can, I would be most appreciative if you could check out the image quality when actual 16:9 content (not test patterns) is viewed with the DCR in place, under the following circumstances:

1. Anamorphic B Mode: there is a 6% horizontal squeeze of the image.
  2. Anamorphic C Mode: there is a crop of the original image, losing 10% on the top, and 10% on the bottom. This fills the screen, and maintains the proper aspect ratio, but at the cost of that 10% top and bottom of actual image content.
  3. Anamorphic 'Off' Mode: the image will fill the screen vertically and horizontally, with the image stretched in the horizontal direction, by about 25%.

I will be very interested in hearing how everybody perceives which image is the least objectionable, most acceptable, how obvious the distortion is, etc. This would be in comparison to a regular 16:9 TV screen, for example, or the content without the DCR lens in place, which would show this content with the proper, undistorted aspect ratio.

And if there is time and opportunity, and if you have the set-up for it, the other scenario that is important is with 3d movies with the 2.35:1 or 2.40:1 Aspect Ratio (e.g. Gravity, Despicable Me 3, Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom, The Great and Powerful Oz), where Anamorphic C produces black bars on all 4 sides:

The only workable choice here with the DCR in place is:

Anamorphic A: narrow black side bars, with 6% horizontal squeeze (the same amount as there is for 16:9 content with Anamorphic B).

I'm wondering if this would be less noticeable since the image is almost full screen width to begin with.

Anyway, if you can check out some or all of these, it would be greatly appreciated.

And since these situations represent the 'weak-link' in keeping the DCR Lens in place with any of the new JVC Projectors, I would think they would be of great interest to any others who are considering getting one.

Thanks, and have fun!

JVC RS400, Marantz SR7010, Screen Innovations 160" 2.35:1 Screen
Front L/R: Duntech Sovereigns, powered by 2 bridged Adcom GFA-555
Center: Revel C208 powered by Cambridge Audio Azur 851W
Dolby Bed (4): Sony Core SS-CS5, Atmos (4): Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 SE
Subwoofer: DIY 8' sub with 4 18" SI Drivers, powered by iNuke 6000
post #123 of 203 Old 02-23-2019, 07:51 PM
Advanced Member

Sunday is the day....see everyone around 1:00. Will be good to meet everyone. Beer and Wine is chilling....

Home Theater: JVC RS2000, Stewart 120" 2:35 StudioTech 130, Panamorph DCR Lens, B&W 802 Nautilus, HTM1, 4-B&W 805's for surround, 4-Martin Logan 22's ceiling speakers ATMOS, 2- PB-16 Ultra Subs, Marantz 8802A, MacIntosh 8207 AMP and Proceed AMP 5, Panasonic 820, Apple TV, XBox One, HTPC with MadVR, Qnap NAS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of 203 Old 02-24-2019, 07:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLCPhoto View Post
Man, I really wish I could be there at your GTG, but it's a bit far from NC!

If those who will be there can, I would be most appreciative if you could check out the image quality when actual 16:9 content (not test patterns) is viewed with the DCR in place, under the following circumstances:

1. Anamorphic B Mode: there is a 6% horizontal squeeze of the image.
  2. Anamorphic C Mode: there is a crop of the original image, losing 10% on the top, and 10% on the bottom. This fills the screen, and maintains the proper aspect ratio, but at the cost of that 10% top and bottom of actual image content.
  3. Anamorphic 'Off' Mode: the image will fill the screen vertically and horizontally, with the image stretched in the horizontal direction, by about 25%.

I will be very interested in hearing how everybody perceives which image is the least objectionable, most acceptable, how obvious the distortion is, etc. This would be in comparison to a regular 16:9 TV screen, for example, or the content without the DCR lens in place, which would show this content with the proper, undistorted aspect ratio.

And if there is time and opportunity, and if you have the set-up for it, the other scenario that is important is with 3d movies with the 2.35:1 or 2.40:1 Aspect Ratio (e.g. Gravity, Despicable Me 3, Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom, The Great and Powerful Oz), where Anamorphic C produces black bars on all 4 sides:

The only workable choice here with the DCR in place is:

Anamorphic A: narrow black side bars, with 6% horizontal squeeze (the same amount as there is for 16:9 content with Anamorphic B).

I'm wondering if this would be less noticeable since the image is almost full screen width to begin with.

Anyway, if you can check out some or all of these, it would be greatly appreciated.

And since these situations represent the 'weak-link' in keeping the DCR Lens in place with any of the new JVC Projectors, I would think they would be of great interest to any others who are considering getting one.

Thanks, and have fun!
I have it on my list so will let you know. I have done some testing with this already. To be honest I like the 16:9 without the lens best but still playing with it.
DLCPhoto likes this.

post #125 of 203 Old 02-24-2019, 09:23 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 84
My wife has a planned event that will tie me up until at least 1:30. I am very interested in your findings. I have one if the new JVC PJs and I’m interested in your thoughts w the DCR.
post #126 of 203 Old 02-24-2019, 04:19 PM
Advanced Member

Great seeing everyone today. hopefully we can keep up our little get together s!

It was interesting. Clear that the black levels are not as good as the 540 etc however the DCR lens is amazing.
thephatness and Cla55clown like this.

post #127 of 203 Old 02-24-2019, 07:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by BondDonBond View Post
Great seeing everyone today. hopefully we can keep up our little get together s!

It was interesting. Clear that the black levels are not as good as the 540 etc however the DCR lens is amazing.
Thanks again Don for opening up your home, theater, food and drinks for us. It was great to meet everyone and see the RS2000 with the lens in action. I learned a lot and look forward to adding the JVC and lens to my theater.
BondDonBond likes this.
post #128 of 203 Old 02-25-2019, 09:01 AM

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmainwaring View Post
Thanks again Don for opening up your home, theater, food and drinks for us. It was great to meet everyone and see the RS2000 with the lens in action. I learned a lot and look forward to adding the JVC and lens to my theater.

Agree, great time meeting everyone and thanks to Don for welcoming everyone to his home!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
post #129 of 203 Old 02-25-2019, 04:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1577 Post(s)
Liked: 701
I'm anxiously awaiting thoughts and reports on what you all experienced during this testing and evaluation session.

I'm interested in general remarks about the overall impact of the DCR lens on the already good output from the RS2000, as well as any comments on the specific questions I had in my post above.

Basically, the good, the bad, the ugly!

Thanks!

Don

JVC RS400, Marantz SR7010, Screen Innovations 160" 2.35:1 Screen
Front L/R: Duntech Sovereigns, powered by 2 bridged Adcom GFA-555
Center: Revel C208 powered by Cambridge Audio Azur 851W
Dolby Bed (4): Sony Core SS-CS5, Atmos (4): Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 SE
Subwoofer: DIY 8' sub with 4 18" SI Drivers, powered by iNuke 6000
post #130 of 203 Old 02-26-2019, 04:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLCPhoto View Post
I'm anxiously awaiting thoughts and reports on what you all experienced during this testing and evaluation session.

I'm interested in general remarks about the overall impact of the DCR lens on the already good output from the RS2000, as well as any comments on the specific questions I had in my post above.

Basically, the good, the bad, the ugly!

Thanks!

Don
I think we all agreed that the DCR lens made things brighter and more detailed.It is one of those things where once you see it you don't want to go back.

16:9 with the lens is a little annoying. Anamorphic B is the only one I use and consider passable. You can tell they are a little elongated. But, if you are watching a lot of 16:9 you can take that lens off really easy. I will keep it on because I do not watch a ton and it is just a little noticeable.
DLCPhoto likes this.

post #131 of 203 Old 02-26-2019, 05:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked: 309
Quote:
I think we all agreed that the DCR lens made things brighter and more detailed.It is one of those things where once you see it you don't want to go back.

16:9 with the lens is a little annoying. Anamorphic B is the only one I use and consider passable. You can tell they are a little elongated. But, if you are watching a lot of 16:9 you can take that lens off really easy. I will keep it on because I do not watch a ton and it is just a little noticeable.
Or you can pick up an HTPC capable of running madVR, and it will do the scaling in a way that will eliminate the 6% distortion. I'm diving into it now, trying to figure it out while I await my RS2000
post #132 of 203 Old 02-26-2019, 01:58 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 398 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5585 Post(s)
Liked: 5409
sub'd for more of the reviews, but having an older lens already I will know exactly what the results should spell out... I'll keep using my lowly uh280 with the rs2000 when it arrives until I recoup some $$ and then MAYBE Think about the DCR...

European Models do not accept banana plugs
Belly of the Beast: Bass Bunker Theater
post #133 of 203 Old 02-28-2019, 12:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddgdl View Post
Or you can pick up an HTPC capable of running madVR, and it will do the scaling in a way that will eliminate the 6% distortion. I'm diving into it now, trying to figure it out while I await my RS2000
I'm a a little crazy so I am actually thinking of doing the MadVR stuff.....just for fun to see. BUT with the hint Madish (think that is wrong) posted I think I need to find a video card that has HDMI in also because sounds like they are working on a Lumagen type setup which would be cool and I would totally go for that if it was cheaper.

post #134 of 203 Old 02-28-2019, 12:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I'm a a little crazy so I am actually thinking of doing the MadVR stuff.....just for fun to see. BUT with the hint Madish (think that is wrong) posted I think I need to find a video card that has HDMI in also because sounds like they are working on a Lumagen type setup which would be cool and I would totally go for that if it was cheaper.
I would hold off on buying anything for another 2-3 weeks or so. I think madshi will have more details---my guess is that it is going to be an all-in-one box that would eliminate your need to get an HTPC at all
BondDonBond likes this.
post #135 of 203 Old 03-02-2019, 02:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Can'y believe I missed the GTG !!!!
Been is busy the last month traveling for work I haven't checked the forum
I imagine you all had a great time and hopefully I can get on the next one and come down from Fort Collins. I am going to host real soon, some time later this month so will ping out a date soon. I could really do with some help on calibration as I have never done it properly!
BondDonBond and A.T.M. like this.
post #136 of 203 Old 03-04-2019, 11:09 AM

Mentioned: 398 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5585 Post(s)
Liked: 5409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukichon View Post
Can'y believe I missed the GTG !!!!
Been is busy the last month traveling for work I haven't checked the forum
I imagine you all had a great time and hopefully I can get on the next one and come down from Fort Collins. I am going to host real soon, some time later this month so will ping out a date soon. I could really do with some help on calibration as I have never done it properly!
Seems like everyone else missed the g2g too due to lack of commentary afterwards. Anyone else care to drop some details of your experience?!?! Jeez this is AV SCIENCE, not AV get together and don't tell anyone what we thought!!!! :Insert smiley faces so people know I am joking around...:

European Models do not accept banana plugs
Belly of the Beast: Bass Bunker Theater
post #137 of 203 Old 03-04-2019, 12:40 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I thought it was a nice reality check meeting everyone. It's easy to get caught up in some of the threads here and think that everyone is pixel peeping and readjusting speakers to the point where I start to think, oh I should scrutinize my setup more and see how I stack up. In real life a lot of us just want to turn things on and enjoy a movie. That said, I'd like to try my hand at doing my own calibration. Don and I were kicking around the idea of us all chipping in to get training from someone who knows the craft and be locally self sufficient, and help each other out.
BondDonBond likes this.
post #138 of 203 Old 03-04-2019, 05:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thephatness View Post
I thought it was a nice reality check meeting everyone. It's easy to get caught up in some of the threads here and think that everyone is pixel peeping and readjusting speakers to the point where I start to think, oh I should scrutinize my setup more and see how I stack up. In real life a lot of us just want to turn things on and enjoy a movie. That said, I'd like to try my hand at doing my own calibration. Don and I were kicking around the idea of us all chipping in to get training from someone who knows the craft and be locally self sufficient, and help each other out.
Kris Deering is heading our way soon. I wonder if he would be willing to walk us through a calibration?
post #139 of 203 Old 03-05-2019, 03:38 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 150
I'm in Denver, and if there is enough interest, I can give one or more informal seminars on the subject of audio optimization. Note that I avoid the word "calibration" because I don't believe one can practically achieve the kind of consistency that is possible with video calibration. Nevertheless, sound quality can be improved on most systems with the right knowledge and tools.

Realize that I can't really walk through a calibration process because each system has different equipment with different capabilities. What I can do is cover the fundamentals of sound, acoustics, listener perception, and optimization goals. This content would probably take me 1-1.5 hours to cover, even at a very high level. I can also go over performing measurements and analyzing them using the powerful Room EQ Wizard (REW) software. I can probably cover the bare basics of REW in 30-60 minutes but more advanced subjects like room acoustics study and PEQ optimization deserve more time.

Thoughts?
Livin and Cla55clown like this.
post #140 of 203 Old 03-08-2019, 01:48 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by awediophile View Post
I'm in Denver, and if there is enough interest, I can give one or more informal seminars on the subject of audio optimization. Note that I avoid the word "calibration" because I don't believe one can practically achieve the kind of consistency that is possible with video calibration. Nevertheless, sound quality can be improved on most systems with the right knowledge and tools.

Realize that I can't really walk through a calibration process because each system has different equipment with different capabilities. What I can do is cover the fundamentals of sound, acoustics, listener perception, and optimization goals. This content would probably take me 1-1.5 hours to cover, even at a very high level. I can also go over performing measurements and analyzing them using the powerful Room EQ Wizard (REW) software. I can probably cover the bare basics of REW in 30-60 minutes but more advanced subjects like room acoustics study and PEQ optimization deserve more time.

Thoughts?

I for one would be very interested !!!

9.2.6 - Using - Marantz AV8805, Titan 630lx's-LCR "Dual 15's", HTM-12's-Surrounds, Volt10's-Atmos
4x-UM-18-22 in Full Marty's
post #141 of 203 Old 03-08-2019, 06:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by awediophile View Post

Thoughts?
One thought... Yes

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

________
Ltek

setup: Kodi, Paradigm 7.1.4, VTF-3 MK5 HP, 120" DIY Spandex Screen, Sony 45ES
post #142 of 203 Old 03-08-2019, 06:44 PM
Advanced Member

Definitely would be interested in both video and audio calibration hands on learning
post #143 of 203 Old 03-09-2019, 10:53 AM
Advanced Member

Just got John's newsletter and it looks like it may be a while for Kris to get out here. They still have a lot of back order to get through before they will have their projectors for Kris to work on. Worst case we know there will be a lot of people here for the show in Oct so I am sure there will be a lot of calibrators available.....but Kris we want you SOON.

post #144 of 203 Old 03-10-2019, 10:24 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Just got John's newsletter and it looks like it may be a while for Kris to get out here. They still have a lot of back order to get through before they will have their projectors for Kris to work on. Worst case we know there will be a lot of people here for the show in Oct so I am sure there will be a lot of calibrators available.....but Kris we want you SOON.
Hey all,

I wanted to thank Don for graciously hosting- especially with his crazy schedule during the busy season. I had a great time, beer, wine, food, good sound, stellar video. His wife of course bailed before we showed up; as I'm sure she didn't want to be anywhere near 8-10 theater "geeks," encouraging him to dive deeper down the rabbit hole.

Yes, I waited to write hoping that others would, but really not expecting Don to be back on here until after mid April. Now of course I'm jealous with my plaster walls, no insulation no soundproofing, no acoustic treatments and a old 50" Panny Plasma.

I too expected everyone to have completed basements and PJ hooked up but was glad to here that some others are in the same boat. We did look at some of the calibration tools for a PJ and watched scenes from "TV" in various viewing aspects-- Don would be able to answer this better. We also watched scenes from selected movies on the OPPO 203 and the panny player. We also watched some film through the DCR lens that he bought--oooh yeah. I love the projector and the lens. I think that there was one other gentleman that owns a similar JVC PJ but he doesn't ever post on AVS (you know who you are) I'll be getting the lens in the future (4-5 years) when the theater becomes complete- started, etc...

I wish I could be more "AVScience like" and talk about all of the quantitative measurements that were taken and discussed in depth, but as before that is a question for Don. Most of my comments are likely things I notice that are either biased or subjective/qualitative crap that I probably just imagined to be a difference when watching and comparing scenes between players and/ or when adding a lens. But one of the issues we mentioned was that in certain films we don't know what the director's original intent was for the picture. Should there be a shadow in certain areas on certain faces or not, etc...?

I wish I could be of more help.

On the audio side: I did hear speakers I had never heard before and saw a wall of DIY speakers that blew my hair back just thinking about the sound it would produce--who said the picture looked like the very beginning of Back to the Future I?--I can't remember now. We really should have avatar name tags for the next meet, as I can't remember who said what anymore. j/k

I think a "calibration/video audio/adjusting" get together would be great, whatever you say Don or others. I'm going to be in and out for a little bit doing my taxes now too. --dirty job.

Just though I'd give Don a quick--or not so quick--thanks for letting us tromp thorough his house.

Aaron

PS, Don I did look at your sig and see the type off Atmos speakers you have
BondDonBond likes this.

All ya need is love, and Hi Fi sound.
Asthetix, Audreal, Arcam FMJ, Musical Fidelity, Harmonix, Marantz, Tannoy, MIT, PS3, Panasonic, OPPO
post #145 of 203 Old 03-11-2019, 06:31 AM
Advanced Member

Speaking of this coming fall (September, right?), we should host a gtg or an AVS meetup at CEDIA here in Denver! A ton of regulars on the forums will be there, and it is probably our duty as host city to do something.
BondDonBond likes this.
post #146 of 203 Old 03-12-2019, 06:06 PM

Mentioned: 190 Post(s)
Quoted: 3878 Post(s)
Liked: 6659
Quote:
I'm hearing sometime in April, so not that far off! I think only a couple people have reached out so far. Best way to get on my schedule is to reach out via my website.

I will be back out in September as well for CEDIA and will likely stick around a bit, so will be available for bookings then as well.
Todd G. likes this.

My Home Theater UPDATED DEC 2017
Technical Editor/Writer Sound and Vision Magazine
Deep Dive AV - Calibration, Consulting and Education
post #147 of 203 Old 03-12-2019, 06:20 PM

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 378
Man, how have I missed this thread? Subscribed now. We're just east of Fort Collins, but I would enjoy meeting up with some of the local group if my schedule allows. Our new room is fun, but likely needs acoustic treatments and other attention to optimize audio.

We're in the queue for a JVC RS2000 from John, but I think our pre-order was toward the end of the line...who knows if we'll see our unit before April or not. But I had asked about getting Kris to calibrate ours. I'll visit his website and get on the list.

Basement bat cave: JVC RS2000, 100" 16:9 Stewart StudioTek 130, Denon AVR-X4400H, Oppo UDP-203, Polk RTi A7 towers/CSi A6 center/65RT in-wall side surrounds (2)/70RT in-ceiling Atmos (4), dual PSA V1811 subwoofers
post #148 of 203 Old 03-12-2019, 07:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering View Post
Quote:
I'm hearing sometime in April, so not that far off! I think only a couple people have reached out so far. Best way to get on my schedule is to reach out via my website.

I will be back out in September as well for CEDIA and will likely stick around a bit, so will be available for bookings then as well.
Per a discussion above, would you be at all interested in teaching a group of us about calibration, maybe when you are around for CEDIA or in April? Maybe one (or all) of us could pay for a day or two of calibration(s) and then watch and learn?
post #149 of 203 Old 03-12-2019, 07:41 PM

Mentioned: 190 Post(s)
Quoted: 3878 Post(s)
Liked: 6659
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddgdl View Post
Per a discussion above, would you be at all interested in teaching a group of us about calibration, maybe when you are around for CEDIA or in April? Maybe one (or all) of us could pay for a day or two of calibration(s) and then watch and learn?
I'm sure we could figure something out!
BondDonBond and A.T.M. like this.

My Home Theater UPDATED DEC 2017
Technical Editor/Writer Sound and Vision Magazine
Deep Dive AV - Calibration, Consulting and Education
post #150 of 203 Old 03-15-2019, 10:14 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd G. View Post
Man, how have I missed this thread?
Welcome Home,

How far east (I-25, Eaton, Ault) or still in FTC?

Your room dimensions are a little longer than mine, but how do you like the front 10 ft of the theater being deeper than the back 14 ft? I'll be digging out most of mine and if I can get away with less digging I think it would be great. congrats on the UMIK-1. I bet your ready to get going on REW tweaks for the V1811's. What are you using to power them?

ENJOY, there are some pretty knowledgeable REW folks on AVSf who love this stuff (AustinJerry etc...)--Kris of course too.

Aaron

All ya need is love, and Hi Fi sound.
Asthetix, Audreal, Arcam FMJ, Musical Fidelity, Harmonix, Marantz, Tannoy, MIT, PS3, Panasonic, OPPO

Last edited by A.T.M.; 03-15-2019 at 10:17 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Area Home Theater Meets

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page