Kansas City Area Home Theater Meets and Movie Night Events! - Page 168 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2547Likes

post #5011 of 8198 Old 01-10-2017, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 630 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3917 Post(s)
Liked: 3729
Quote:
Originally Posted by sigma722 View Post
Can you not try loading the new combined ISO into a video player on your computer, and outputting that to your receiver? Play it via VLC? I think that does full blu-rays? Does it have glitches there?
Maybe I just haven't figured out how to do 3d well with the computer - and I haven't messed with it that much - but 3d always seems just glitch in general when played through the computer over the years when I've tried. handshake issues abound requiring config setting changes, restarts, power cycles - yada yada. yuck.

VLC is no good anymore IMO. Codecs are hit and miss for Atmos and DTS-X for me. It used to be awesome. Now I stick to j-river and sometimes Kodi. VLC is last resort -- unless there's a codec pack I'm missing or something.

Archaea's 9.12.4 Home Theater Room
(13) JBL CBT 70j-1 | Denon x7200wa | Sherbourn PA 7-350 amplifier | (8) Ultimax 18" sealed subwoofers | (4) iNuke DSP 6000 amplifiers | (4) MB Quart 12" subwoofers mounted direct mounted to Berkline theater chairs BOSS style | Epson 5040UB Projector | Jamestown 144" acoustic transparent 2.35:1 screen w/ Seymour XD fabric
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5012 of 8198 Old 01-10-2017, 04:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked: 385
Yeah, I only suggested it since it's a free player that I think can handle full ISOs. I guess kodi can too. No experience with j-river... yet.
post #5013 of 8198 Old 01-10-2017, 07:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 877 Post(s)
Liked: 715
Here is a copy of the post I just made in the KC crawl thread for local guys not attending

jedimastergrants primo stuff

Several of the hosts will be having items for sale so with Arch's permission I am posting some of mine here so you guys can pull the trigger now. I plan to have a table at the entrance to the theater will all my stuff and prices.

JVC DLA-RS400 I bought this from an authorized dealer a year ago. Pristine condition. It has 756 hours and was professionally calibrated by Michael @desertdome I am getting the RS420 (most likely). I have a classified thread up as of today.

JVC DLA-RS45 similar story with this one but just a bit older. It throws an amazing 1080p image for $800. Classified thread up about a year ago ha ha. It is still in great condition.

Triad in wall Bronze Surround speakers (4) $225 each. Excellent condition. These are great dipoles. Really a stealth approach as it will fit in your wall.

Volt 6 Ported (4) $100 each. Just made these this summer and they are great bang for the buck.

Also for sale

Insteon ISY 944i $50
Insteon Linc wall switch
Samsung UBD K8500 $125

And possibly either my JTR Orbit Shifter or my 2 Passive Captivators if I can't get them to play nicely together!

Just PM me so we don't muddy up the thread. I will hold items as soon as they are paid for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5014 of 8198 Old 01-11-2017, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter

Wow, this isn't something I thought I'd see.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbeck View Post
On another note I had DD over for a video calibration and he also brought by an Oppo UDP-203. After some comparisons I can safely say I won't be migrating toward 4K any time soon. With my setup (screen size, viewing distance, RS500), the blu-ray works just perfectly.

Post 1463 in dlbeck's room thread.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...l#post49741721

@dlbeck ,
tell us more David!

Was it that the seating distance made the pixel upgrade moot?
Or that the Oppo 203 upscaler is really nice?
something else?

(13) JBL CBT 70j-1 | Denon x7200wa | Sherbourn PA 7-350 amplifier | (8) Ultimax 18" sealed subwoofers | (4) iNuke DSP 6000 amplifiers | (4) MB Quart 12" subwoofers mounted direct mounted to Berkline theater chairs BOSS style | Epson 5040UB Projector | Jamestown 144" acoustic transparent 2.35:1 screen w/ Seymour XD fabric
post #5015 of 8198 Old 01-11-2017, 10:41 AM

Mentioned: 401 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5657 Post(s)
Liked: 5520
Wow, I too am completely surprised. Having the rs500 as well, the benefit I am finding with the expanded color space by itself is enough that I am glad I went ahead and upgraded to UHD....Not to mention more atmos mixes available via UHD discs.

European Models do not accept banana plugs
Belly of the Beast: Bass Bunker Theater
post #5016 of 8198 Old 01-11-2017, 11:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 317 Post(s)
Quoted: 1536 Post(s)
Liked: 1837
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

@dlbeck ,
tell us more David!

something else?
We used The Martian and The Magnificent Seven for comparisons. We didn't use the OPPO 203 Upscaler. We compared from the HTPC with Blu-ray to the OPPO with UHD Blu-ray. This way we could just switch inputs and user mode on the projector for fairly quick comparisons. The HTPC had a 1000 point 3D LUT loaded which made the image measure almost completely perfect. This provide a true reference for comparison.
1. At JVC's training I attended in Olathe on their new 4K laser they said that from more than ~3 ft from the screen, 4K on the 4K projector and eShift on a RS500 is indistinguishable when both are fed a 4K source.
2. A UHD Blu-ray has BT.2020 color space. The projector can't display the entire color space (and RS500 does much better than RS400). This give minimal improvement.
3. A UHD Blu-ray has HDR. The projector has only about 1/10th to 1/40th the light output necessary for HDR depending on how they were mastered. This means most of the image is too dark. To make the image a comparable brightness with a Blu-ray makes the gamma and color incorrect. This can maybe fixed with more calibration, but since the UHD Blu-rays are mastered different you have a moving target.
3. If you strip the HDR metadata, the playback device has to decide how to convert the brightness coefficient while preserving the color. There is no standard for this so each device uses whatever algorithm the company has developed. The latest firmware for the OPPO improved metadata stripping, but still doesn't come close to matching a Blu-ray's gamma and color.
4. Using the madVR renderer in JRiver to upscale Blu-ray to 4K using the new NGU (Next Generation Upscaling) algorithm provides the best image quality and experience. I've tested at home and it is better than the OPPO 203 upscaler or the JVC upscaler.
5. A much smaller screen with the projector closer to the screen can help minimize the current negatives with HDR. I watched The Magnificent Seven completely with both UHD Blu-ray and Blu-ray on my own system. I like the highlights offered by HDR but overall prefer the image depth of Blu-ray with its much lower black level (you don't have to be in high bulb with iris open).
Archaea and Luke Kamp like this.

Ponderosa Theater
High Impact AV
- ISF Level III Video Calibrator, THX-HAA HT3 Audio Designer/Calibrator
post #5017 of 8198 Old 01-11-2017, 12:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
Wow, I too am completely surprised. Having the rs500 as well, the benefit I am finding with the expanded color space by itself is enough that I am glad I went ahead and upgraded to UHD....Not to mention more atmos mixes available via UHD discs.
This
post #5018 of 8198 Old 01-11-2017, 07:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 174 Post(s)
Quoted: 662 Post(s)
Liked: 778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

@dlbeck ,
tell us more David!

something else?
Yeah, what DesertDome said! lol

To me the bluray was smoother and the image popped a little more. I would enjoy watching either picture as the differences were small...so for once I don't have to rush and upgrade. Sit back and enjoy the show
post #5019 of 8198 Old 01-12-2017, 06:06 AM

Mentioned: 691 Post(s)
Quoted: 3547 Post(s)
Liked: 3304
My only comparison has been Miss Peregren's School and Jason Bourne, both of which I preferred the 4K disk. Blu Ray looks great too on both of them but the image is softer and i like the colors better on the 4K disks. Could be that I won't have the same opinion when comparing other movies.

The difference is no where near going from DVD to Blu Ray but it is there for sure, at least to my eyes.

David how far is your head from the screen? Our screens are about the same size and my head is just under 10 feet from the screen so maybe I'm closer? I can tell you for sure that I can't see a difference between 4K and blu ray from the 2nd row.
post #5020 of 8198 Old 01-12-2017, 04:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Question about back up IR repeater.

So I am installing a back up IR repeater just in case my Harmony flips out or for the apocalypse or whatever. I bought this bafx unit and then I bought a 50 foot 3.5 mm stereo cable and ran it from my false wall to my equipment area. Is this going to work?

[IMG][/IMG]

So my first question is does it matter which end of the unit I extend? The sensor or the repeater side? It would be nicer to extend the sensor side that way I could put the unit near the equipment rack and have the option of running multiple IR repeaters from it.

Another question is this. I think the unit only has small IR repeaters that you need to place right on each piece of equipment. Not the blaster type. I think I would rather just have one blaster coming out from the unit and place it so it catches the entire rack. My Harmony blaster sits right on the rack and so far is flawless in communicating with everything. So with that in mind can someone recommend a good blaster? The smaller IR repeaters are easy to find but there don't seem to be many blasters out there. What one should I get?

Any other gotcha's when trying to set up an IR repeater like this?
post #5021 of 8198 Old 01-12-2017, 04:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimastergrant View Post
Question about back up IR repeater.

So I am installing a back up IR repeater just in case my Harmony flips out or for the apocalypse or whatever. I bought this bafx unit and then I bought a 50 foot 3.5 mm stereo cable and ran it from my false wall to my equipment area. Is this going to work?

*image*

So my first question is does it matter which end of the unit I extend? The sensor or the repeater side? It would be nicer to extend the sensor side that way I could put the unit near the equipment rack and have the option of running multiple IR repeaters from it.

Another question is this. I think the unit only has small IR repeaters that you need to place right on each piece of equipment. Not the blaster type. I think I would rather just have one blaster coming out from the unit and place it so it catches the entire rack. My Harmony blaster sits right on the rack and so far is flawless in communicating with everything. So with that in mind can someone recommend a good blaster? The smaller IR repeaters are easy to find but there don't seem to be many blasters out there. What one should I get?

Any other gotcha's when trying to set up an IR repeater like this?
Generally people extend the sensor end, because other-wise you'd have to extend all of the emitter ends.

You should be able to test the setup fairly easily without permanently installing it. just take the sensor end into your room, and point your crap at it once everything is hooked up and plugged in. Verify it doesn't get signal when the sensor is in your hand (like clasped/covered in your fist), and then verify the commands make it through when it is being pointed to by your remote.

I don't have a recommendation for a blaster version. The emitter ones seem to be fine, you just install the emitter directly to the appliance's sensor.
post #5022 of 8198 Old 01-12-2017, 05:18 PM

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Quote:
I bought a 50 foot 3.5 mm stereo cable
Quote:
Since you got a stereo cable you have to use it on the sensor side since the repeaters are mono.
post #5023 of 8198 Old 01-12-2017, 07:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigma722 View Post
Generally people extend the sensor end, because other-wise you'd have to extend all of the emitter ends.

You should be able to test the setup fairly easily without permanently installing it. just take the sensor end into your room, and point your crap at it once everything is hooked up and plugged in. Verify it doesn't get signal when the sensor is in your hand (like clasped/covered in your fist), and then verify the commands make it through when it is being pointed to by your remote.

I don't have a recommendation for a blaster version. The emitter ones seem to be fine, you just install the emitter directly to the appliance's sensor.
I will do a test as you suggest.
post #5024 of 8198 Old 01-12-2017, 07:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvinfig View Post
Since you got a stereo cable you have to use it on the sensor side since the repeaters are mono.
Good to know. I bought a sewell cable that was labeled as an IR extension cable. I did not even pay attention to stereo or mono but I looked and I think it is stereo. So thanks.

So the repeaters require mono cables. Which means I need to use the stereo cable I ran to carry the sensor signal. Then I will put the unit on the equipment side and use the non extended cable from the unit to the equipment. Any ideas on a good blaster?
post #5025 of 8198 Old 01-12-2017, 07:43 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Quote:
Good to know. I bought a sewell cable that was labeled as an IR extension cable. I did not even pay attention to stereo or mono but I looked and I think it is stereo. So thanks.

So the repeaters require mono cables. Which means I need to use the stereo cable I ran to carry the sensor signal. Then I will put the unit on the equipment side and use the non extended cable from the unit to the equipment. Any ideas on a good blaster?
post #5026 of 8198 Old 01-12-2017, 08:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

post #5027 of 8198 Old 01-13-2017, 07:04 AM

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Quote:

I used Xantech equipment at the old house and it always worked flawlessly. Here's the link to their blaster (which I don't have any experience with): http://www.xantech.com/Infrared/Infr...mitters/39020/
post #5028 of 8198 Old 01-13-2017, 10:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Anybody in KC going to be building some of these?

Coming soon on DIYSG's home page. No pricing yet, but Erich said the pricing will be closer to 520 than 620. I'm guessing $550 each.
post #5029 of 8198 Old 01-13-2017, 12:13 PM

Mentioned: 401 Post(s)
Quoted: 5657 Post(s)
Liked: 5520
AGAIN with the non full-range monster cabinet designs. Real recognize real, they go that big, you better have a -3 point of 40hz MAX imo. Even better if you get to 30hz.

European Models do not accept banana plugs
Belly of the Beast: Bass Bunker Theater
post #5030 of 8198 Old 01-13-2017, 04:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 174 Post(s)
Quoted: 662 Post(s)
Liked: 778
post #5031 of 8198 Old 01-17-2017, 09:33 AM
Advanced Member

Google fiber isn't offered in my area, so I just signed up for AT&T fiber for similar if not same speeds. Does anyone local have this service?
post #5032 of 8198 Old 01-17-2017, 11:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1401 Post(s)
Liked: 520
Send a message via MSN to Ladeback
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDontee View Post
Google fiber isn't offered in my area, so I just signed up for AT&T fiber for similar if not same speeds. Does anyone local have this service?
In theory it should be about the same as Google as long as they bring the fiber into your house. That's when it goes to Cat 5e or better to get the 1 GB for wired speed. That's how Google Fiber is. If you have anything lower then Cat 5e in your house you won't get the 1 GB. Also to get that speed your computers have to have an Ethernet connection for 1 GB to get it. You can upgrade with a 1 GB dongle if you don't want to change to a new card. Cat 7 is out now and if I was building a house I would be using it.

I have been meaning to get one of these for the last 2 years, but our wireless runs between 200 on 400 MB so I haven't really needed it.

If they are not running a new drop to your house, I would question what speeds you will get. If you are getting it you must be in an area where they already have existing fiber to carry the higher speed. In JOCO Google bought up a bunch of dark fiber so the could get their backbone run quicker and cheaper.
post #5033 of 8198 Old 01-17-2017, 11:30 AM
Advanced Member

I have CAT6 throughout my house since I renovated it, so I'm not concerned about speed. I'm asking more about reliability and any possible fine print that I may have missed.
post #5034 of 8198 Old 01-17-2017, 11:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1401 Post(s)
Liked: 520
Send a message via MSN to Ladeback
Quote:
I have CAT6 throughout my house since I renovated it, so I'm not concerned about speed. I'm asking more about reliability and any possible fine print that I may have missed.
I can't say on that, I just hope it is better then the DSL and phone we use to have with AT&T. It seemed like every month I was calling about something or now service. I am not a fan of AT&T so a little bias here, but if you can't get Google there aren't to many other choices I would trust. AT&T has been around a long time so it should be reliable.

I found this review online that was pretty good about them.

http://www.reviews.org/reviews/att-u...ternet-review/
post #5035 of 8198 Old 01-17-2017, 12:32 PM
Advanced Member

Yeah, they waived the data caps, installation fees and gateway rental for as long I have service. The initial data cap was a showstopper for me. It was 1TB, which may seem like a lot, but we stream just about everything from Netflix, PBS Kids to Amazon Video. In one month, that 1TB can easily be achieved. Let's just hope they stick to their word. If not, I can always go back to TWC with 300 down and 20 up.
post #5036 of 8198 Old 01-17-2017, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter

Comcast recently implemented a 1TB data cap. In the year and a half we've had them the highest we've been was 965GB - and that was the month IIRC? that I hosted a 14 person LAN party at my house and people were downloading some titles to play through Steam and Orgin.

My kids stream Netflix and Amazon Kindle Playtime CONSTANTLY.

Are you actually using over 1TB consistently or is it just a concern you might? I think in practice it's pretty difficult to accidentally hit 1TB - even if you stream a lot.

Comcast's overage fee is pretty reasonable if you happened to go over 1TB --- at least as far as overage fees go ($10 for every 50GB, with a max fee of $200 per month - alternately just pay a extra fee of $50 per month to have truly unlimited internet). Unlike a friend of mine at work who years ago, got a Verizon cell phone bill for $85,000 when his autistic kid got a new smart phone and used YouTube all month and they hadn't purchased a data plan. My Co-worker was cursing up a storm, and sooo frustrated at work. After many hours on the phone with Verizon - even escalating it all the way up to some sort of Vice President of the company they forgave his bill if he agreed to buy their top data plan for one year that they would retroactively apply. The data overage charge was something stupid high like 25 cents a megabyte (no cap on fees) at that time IIRC. I remember him saying there was no way he could afford that bill - that the bill was more than the worth of his house!

Last edited by Archaea; 01-17-2017 at 02:53 PM.
post #5037 of 8198 Old 01-17-2017, 01:28 PM
Advanced Member

I checked my usage on my router, and I always danced around 1TB. I guess it's more about principle as well as looking towards the future. Hopefully movies, services like Playstation Vue will do less compression and lossless audio. If that's the case, then 1TB will be a joke.
post #5038 of 8198 Old 01-17-2017, 08:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes, I had AT&T fiber. The max speeds were fine. The problem was the instability. I would get slow downs and just plain old drop outs constantly. I had the repair techs at my house over 15 times over a 6 month period. AT&T fiber was unable to provide me with a stable connection. This included drop outs to the TV service in addition to the internet. I was left with no choice but to drop them even though they were cheaper at the time than Comcast. I was pretty happy with the stability of the Comcast 250-300 Mbps plan but I just had to try Google Fiber so that's where I am now. I would stick with Comcast if I were you.
post #5039 of 8198 Old 01-17-2017, 08:25 PM
Advanced Member

Well, it's being installed tomorrow and I can cancel within 30 days no harm done...Supposedly. My only options are AT&T and time Warner. TWC is decently stable with random times that I need to reboot everything, especially to fix the upload connection. I'm switching for the ping and upload speed. A friend of mine had similar complaints that you had but he blamed the wifi, which isn't a big deal because I'm still using my wifi routers as switches. I'll give it a few weeks and keep TWC in the meantime.
post #5040 of 8198 Old 01-17-2017, 08:43 PM - Thread Starter

Having a good router makes all the difference in the world.

I have nothing but praise for my Asus RT-AC3100

Reviews said it "just works"

And that's been my experience 100%

I also highly recommend the netgear nighthawk series.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Area Home Theater Meets

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page