Kansas City Area Home Theater Meets and Movie Night Events! - Page 176 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2325Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #5251 of 7903 Old 02-24-2017, 07:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
rcohen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 3,299
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1413 Post(s)
Liked: 652
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDontee View Post
Negative Ghost Rider. Router is fine. I took back the rt-n56u and upgraded to the RT-AC68u. 1Ghz dual core CPU, yada yada yada, and the crazy rubber banding (lag spikes) continue. For a little more information on my network setup, I have AT&T fiber and they provide an Arris 5268AC modem/router. That 5268AC doesn't have upnp and I am unable to effectively forward the ports for my outdoor security cameras. So, according to the ole google and att forums, the trick to bridging the 5268AC and allow a differnent router to manage the network is to take the MAC address of that router, and DMZ that mac address. I did that, and all is right with the world, cameras work, upnp works, hooray. But...for some reason it causes this rubber banding that does not exist when I use the 5268AC by itself. I have no idea if there is a better way to bridge the 5268AC, or a better way to forward the ports so that I can allow the 5268AC to manage the network. It's a real head scratcher. At this point, I'm wondering if I should just put all the cameras on a single router, DMZ that router and let the 5268AC manage the rest of the network. No upnp, so I would have to forward the ports for PS4, XBOX live, etc. Anyone in KC manage networks? I called AT&T and they referred me to Connect Tech. BTW, Connect Tech is a company that fixes issues like this for a fee (it's owned by AT&T). Yep.
Just driving by, but here are some notes, just in case any of it's helpful.

Rubber banding in games is either caused by packet loss or excessive latency.
Packet loss can be caused by either running out of bandwidth or an unreliable connection.

If you are using anything aside from wired Ethernet with good cable, that's the first place I'd look. For example, Wifi, Ethernet over coax (MOCA), and Ethernet over power line adapters are particularly prone to packet loss and latency problems.

You're doing the right thing by trying to isolate the cause.
It's good news that connecting directly to your router fixes it, so it's something within your control.
Anything on the network can be the cause, like a bad device, cable, or port.

At my house, I use a managed switch, which is sometime handy, since it will give stats on packet errors and allow me to reduce bandwidth on certain ports. The wiring in my house was causing problems on a couple ports, unless I dropped them to 100mbps. Unfortunately, it's cat5, not cat5e, but it seems to work reliably at 1gbps on the rest of the ports. Managed switches are usually overkill for home use, but it's nice for stuff like that.

Speaking of 100mbps, if your switch is only 100mbps, that can choke the bandwidth to the whole house. If that's the case, consider upgrading to a 1gbps router and/or switch.

If you're still having trouble, you could try WireShark (free packet sniffer software) to try and look for anything suspicous.
rcohen is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #5252 of 7903 Old 02-24-2017, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Archaea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 11,046
Mentioned: 604 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3772 Post(s)
Liked: 3556
A forum member from out east is considering moving to Kansas City.


He asked for the best schools and places to live in the KC Metro.


I told him the typical highly rated schools Blue Springs. Liberty, Lee's Summit for the Missouri side, Olathe, Shawnee, Overland Park for the Kansas side.


As far as specifically neat little communities to live. Weatherby Lake, Parkville, @d_c 's lake area. Something like this is close to Doug and matches the description and is lakeside. I really haven't spent time searching - just popped into Zillow and saw this (no idea if a good value).
https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...12_rect/15_zm/

He's looking for houses in the <= $400,000 range. ~3,000 sq. foot ideal. Should be fairly easy to meet those two requirements nearly anywhere in the city. Good schools is a must.

What suggestions do you guys have? I'll just direct him to this post, and he can read some of the responses.

Archaea's 9.8.4 Home Theater Room
(13) JBL CBT 70j-1 | Denon x7200wa | Sherbourn PA 7-350 amplifier | (8) Ultimax 18" sealed subwoofers | (4) iNuke DSP 6000 amplifiers | (4) MB Quart 12" subwoofers mounted direct mounted to Berkline theater chairs BOSS style | Epson 5040UB Projector | Jamestown 144" acoustic transparent 2.35:1 screen w/ Seymour XD fabric

Last edited by Archaea; 02-24-2017 at 08:41 AM.
Archaea is online now  
post #5253 of 7903 Old 02-24-2017, 08:39 AM
Advanced Member
 
JDontee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 668
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcohen View Post
Just driving by, but here are some notes, just in case any of it's helpful.

Rubber banding in games is either caused by packet loss or excessive latency.
Packet loss can be caused by either running out of bandwidth or an unreliable connection.

If you are using anything aside from wired Ethernet with good cable, that's the first place I'd look. For example, Wifi, Ethernet over coax (MOCA), and Ethernet over power line adapters are particularly prone to packet loss and latency problems.

You're doing the right thing by trying to isolate the cause.
It's good news that connecting directly to your router fixes it, so it's something within your control.
Anything on the network can be the cause, like a bad device, cable, or port.

At my house, I use a managed switch, which is sometime handy, since it will give stats on packet errors and allow me to reduce bandwidth on certain ports. The wiring in my house was causing problems on a couple ports, unless I dropped them to 100mbps. Unfortunately, it's cat5, not cat5e, but it seems to work reliably at 1gbps on the rest of the ports. Managed switches are usually overkill for home use, but it's nice for stuff like that.

Speaking of 100mbps, if your switch is only 100mbps, that can choke the bandwidth to the whole house. If that's the case, consider upgrading to a 1gbps router and/or switch.

If you're still having trouble, you could try WireShark (free packet sniffer software) to try and look for anything suspicous.
I switched to a cheap Tenda router and haven't had any problems since. The throughput is a bit less, but I think 840Mbps down and 940Mbps up will work for now. I'm blaming it on the Asus firmware for now.
JDontee is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #5254 of 7903 Old 02-24-2017, 08:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
rcohen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 3,299
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1413 Post(s)
Liked: 652
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDontee View Post
I switched to a cheap Tenda router and haven't had any problems since. The throughput is a bit less, but I think 840Mbps down and 940Mbps up will work for now. I'm blaming it on the Asus firmware for now.
Glad you got it fixed.
Could be anything with the router. Pretty much any link in the chain can cause those kinds of problems.
I wouldn't lose sleep over 840/940 mbps.
I'm grateful for 150 mbps from Time Warner.
The next runner up that serves my neighborhood is 2 mbps.
rcohen is online now  
post #5255 of 7903 Old 02-24-2017, 09:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
DreamWarrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Dirty South Jersey
Posts: 2,099
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 940 Post(s)
Liked: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
A forum member from out east is considering moving to Kansas City. *snip*
That'd be me, . My wife and I are considering a change. I want a more low-key lifestyle for my 1-year-old daughter to grow up in and better schools than are available around me for the money. Around here, if I want well-rated school districts I'm paying $600k+ for a house and $20k+ for yearly property taxes...I just can't strap us to a mortgage like that. I reached out to Jon, having met him at an east coast GTG, for some ideas about the area. I figured there are tons of A/V enthusiasts to get along with, so it'd be nice to have some "friendlies" around, as moving to a completely new place is a hard thing to do.

Anyway, if anyone wants to chat about the area or give me some more ideas, I'd be much appreciative. Jon's already went above and beyond giving me info! I figure I should stay within commuting distance of the Overland Park, KS area, as my field is software engineering (my wife's a physical therapist) and that seems to be a tech area. I would be happier with land to build on, mostly because it gives me more time to plan things out and partly because I'm picky and would rather build to suit than pay to remodel. Plus, I have time because as long as I'm in before my daughter starts school, so she doesn't have to be moved, I'll be happy, so.... Also, It will be hard to sell my current home (without taking a loss, anyway) in the current market. But, I could swing buying a reasonably priced (like $100k-ish) lot and planning the build while I wait for bites and keep saving for the build.

My newest concern is getting my mother (e.g. babysitter, lol) to move with us. My sister is moving to TN and if I take my daughter away from my mom she'll be heart-broken. So, I need to convince her (and my wife a little bit) that I'm not crazy for wanting to come out there, lol. KCMO is the same driving distance to my sister as our current location, so...that's a bonus! But, I need help making them see the benefits. I'm hoping to set up a trip out there to see what it's like myself, but...in the meantime, love any hints / advice.
DreamWarrior is offline  
post #5256 of 7903 Old 02-24-2017, 11:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ladeback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 2,440
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1328 Post(s)
Liked: 469
Send a message via MSN to Ladeback
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWarrior View Post
That'd be me, . My wife and I are considering a change. I want a more low-key lifestyle for my 1-year-old daughter to grow up in and better schools than are available around me for the money. Around here, if I want well-rated school districts I'm paying $600k+ for a house and $20k+ for yearly property taxes...I just can't strap us to a mortgage like that. I reached out to Jon, having met him at an east coast GTG, for some ideas about the area. I figured there are tons of A/V enthusiasts to get along with, so it'd be nice to have some "friendlies" around, as moving to a completely new place is a hard thing to do.

Anyway, if anyone wants to chat about the area or give me some more ideas, I'd be much appreciative. Jon's already went above and beyond giving me info! I figure I should stay within commuting distance of the Overland Park, KS area, as my field is software engineering (my wife's a physical therapist) and that seems to be a tech area. I would be happier with land to build on, mostly because it gives me more time to plan things out and partly because I'm picky and would rather build to suit than pay to remodel. Plus, I have time because as long as I'm in before my daughter starts school, so she doesn't have to be moved, I'll be happy, so.... Also, It will be hard to sell my current home (without taking a loss, anyway) in the current market. But, I could swing buying a reasonably priced (like $100k-ish) lot and planning the build while I wait for bites and keep saving for the build.

My newest concern is getting my mother (e.g. babysitter, lol) to move with us. My sister is moving to TN and if I take my daughter away from my mom she'll be heart-broken. So, I need to convince her (and my wife a little bit) that I'm not crazy for wanting to come out there, lol. KCMO is the same driving distance to my sister as our current location, so...that's a bonus! But, I need help making them see the benefits. I'm hoping to set up a trip out there to see what it's like myself, but...in the meantime, love any hints / advice.
@Dream Warrior, we would be glad to have you. I am not new to KC, been here over 31 years, but am new to the KC AVS Forumn group. They are a great bounce of guys I am getting around to hopefully build and finish my HT. I work in the OP area near the Sprint campus and live north of the river in Kansas City and I don't recommend doing that drive every day if you don't have to. We moved there because I was traveling for work and it was closer to my family and my wife's family that help with babysitting or 8 year son.

I would like in the Olathe area to the west and south. @chirpie is building a new house not far from his old house and he could give you some input on where to look. Olathe has some good schools. He is also keeping his current house and is going to rent it when they move. You could move in there while you build your house to your liking if the timing works out. He already has a home theater built that you could use our at least put your equipment in to enjoy.
Ladeback is offline  
post #5257 of 7903 Old 02-24-2017, 12:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
DreamWarrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Dirty South Jersey
Posts: 2,099
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 940 Post(s)
Liked: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladeback View Post
@Dream Warrior, we would be glad to have you. I am not new to KC, been here over 31 years, but am new to the KC AVS Forumn group. They are a great bounce of guys I am getting around to hopefully build and finish my HT. I work in the OP area near the Sprint campus and live north of the river in Kansas City and I don't recommend doing that drive every day if you don't have to. We moved there because I was traveling for work and it was closer to my family and my wife's family that help with babysitting or 8 year son.

I would like in the Olathe area to the west and south. @chirpie is building a new house not far from his old house and he could give you some input on where to look. Olathe has some good schools. He is also keeping his current house and is going to rent it when they move. You could move in there while you build your house to your liking if the timing works out. He already has a home theater built that you could use our at least put your equipment in to enjoy.
Yeah, I was looking at Olathe as well, but it seems land (at least .5acre+ on Zillow) isn't readily available in my budget. There are a few parcels, though. Maybe @chirpie can comment more. Thanks for the info.
DreamWarrior is offline  
post #5258 of 7903 Old 02-24-2017, 12:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
chirpie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Olathe, Kansas
Posts: 4,226
Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked: 564
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWarrior View Post
Yeah, I was looking at Olathe as well, but it seems land (at least .5acre+ on Zillow) isn't readily available in my budget. There are a few parcels, though. Maybe @chirpie can comment more. Thanks for the info.
You know, the price seems possible to me. I was $72k (2016 prices) for .35 acres, so $100k for .5 acres doesn't seem impossible. But for me in my home search, it seemed like finding a developer that sets aside a .5 acre lot tends to have more expensive houses on them, which ends up being the bigger issue. But lots for that price definitely pop up. Here's one, for example that's $120k at 1.44 acres.

I will say the schools in Olathe are pretty darn good, and have been mostly immune to the rest of the state's issues with the Governor, due to issuing bonds and being in a very affluent county with higher property values. (Johnson)

I'll post more when I have a moment. ^_^
chirpie is offline  
post #5259 of 7903 Old 02-24-2017, 07:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ChldsPlay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Olathe, KS
Posts: 2,093
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1115 Post(s)
Liked: 631
Judging by how I turned out, I'd say the Blue Springs schools are terrible

Seriously, they are pretty good, and Olathe seems to pretty good too. I don't really have any experience with any others, so I can't really comment on that, though I'd probably stay far away from KCMO considering the problems they have had. I think Jonathon pretty much covered all the areas that are considered to be good.

I have no idea on real estate, though if you change your mind on your needs and want a small house in the heart of Independence, I have the perfect place.

The Hodor Theater - Now with Atmos
Projector - JVC D-ILA NX7/Panasonic PT-AE8000U; Receiver - Yamaha Adventage A3050
LCR speakers - JTR Noesis 228 HT (3); Surr./Back - Klipsch Pro Cinema KPT-8000M (4)
Atmos In-ceiling - Niles DS8HD (4); Subs - Passive JTR Captivator Pro (2)
ChldsPlay is online now  
post #5260 of 7903 Old 02-25-2017, 11:35 AM
d_c
AVS Forum Special Member
 
d_c's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: KCMO
Posts: 2,736
Mentioned: 227 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1134 Post(s)
Liked: 1543
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWarrior View Post
Yeah, I was looking at Olathe as well, but it seems land (at least .5acre+ on Zillow) isn't readily available in my budget. There are a few parcels, though. Maybe @chirpie can comment more. Thanks for the info.
I'm always recruiting for my neighborhood - I love it. We have a no-wake lake, golf course, tennis courts, 3 pools, beach, houses from 200k up to several million. There is a huge influx of families with kids coming in, so it's a really fun place to be. It's 30 minutes to anywhere in the city and everything you need is minutes away. There is a new phase in the neighborhood called The Canyons with wooded lots nestled in kind of a hilly area with some really nice homes - Salvador Perez is rumored to be building one there now. It's the only area that has lots available.

http://www.thecanyonestateskc.com/about.html

http://www.reecenichols.com/homes-fo...4064-184728679


Blue Valley Schools are supposed to be the best rated schools in the KC Metro area, but I echo above about any of them but KCMO schools are great.
d_c is offline  
post #5261 of 7903 Old 02-25-2017, 01:07 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 10,073
Mentioned: 672 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3513 Post(s)
Liked: 3196
I grew up in the Shawnee Mission School District back when it was supposedly one of the best in the country (graduated HS in 92). However I managed to make it through and still be a dumba$$. SM is not one of the best anymore, but it's still good. Blue Valley is the best, year in year out, when you look at average ACT scores - actually my old high school (Shawnee Mission East) - in some years - will the top spot in the metro with a 25 average ACT score, and the Blue Valley schools have all been around 25 average too. Olathe is real close, and then the rest of Shawnee Mission behind both of those. Our kids will go to Shawnee Mission Northwest which is fine with me.

On the MO side, the Park Hill district (Park Hill South is the only MO school I know of that has had ACT scores that can compete with the Kansas side) is probably the best followed closely by Lee's Summit. I teach in Liberty and it is really good too, right there with Lee's Summit. The feeder schools for Blue Springs South and BSS High School itself are right with Liberty from what I have heard and seen. Staley High school in the North Kansas City district is newer and very good, lots of expansion with nice new homes in that area. I wouldn't recommend the other NKC schools as highly as Staley.

I'm partial to the KS side but there are great parts of both sides of the line. None of us will tell people we are from Kansas or Missouri, we will say we are from Kansas City. Can't go wrong with hardly any of the suburbs with raising kids.
carp is online now  
post #5262 of 7903 Old 02-25-2017, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Archaea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 11,046
Mentioned: 604 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3772 Post(s)
Liked: 3556
I watched 10 Cloverfield Lane with Megan today for the first time. That's an intense movie.

Reminds me of a twilight zone episode or something with the way it ends.

Audio was fantastic in Atmos for the car crash scene, in then in the one place it goes crazy with the noises above the cellar, and then the single gunshot (with the nearfield subs) about scared me out of my seat -- quite literally I jumped forward. VERY intense audio dynamics in the movie - --- - coupled with the fact most of the time it's not loud at all - makes for especially dynamic capability.

Not my type of movie overall - too intense for me, but fun non the less.
Scott Simonian and MKtheater like this.

Archaea's 9.8.4 Home Theater Room
(13) JBL CBT 70j-1 | Denon x7200wa | Sherbourn PA 7-350 amplifier | (8) Ultimax 18" sealed subwoofers | (4) iNuke DSP 6000 amplifiers | (4) MB Quart 12" subwoofers mounted direct mounted to Berkline theater chairs BOSS style | Epson 5040UB Projector | Jamestown 144" acoustic transparent 2.35:1 screen w/ Seymour XD fabric
Archaea is online now  
post #5263 of 7903 Old 02-27-2017, 07:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
stitch1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Missouri
Posts: 1,630
Mentioned: 135 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Yeah, I will agree it was a fun rental. But the more I think about that movie the more I don't like it. But the audio and video is pretty top notch.

We watched even worse movies this weekend. Suicide Squad and the new Jason Bourne. Suicide Squad seemed like they made 4 or 5 different movies and edited it into the one we got. I think it could have been a great movie but that plot was just dumb. They all have their own special abilities but none of them were really needed for the task they were asked to do. On the other hand, if we could see a Harley and Joker movie based off what we saw in the flashbacks I would be all in on that.

Bourne was just bad. I couldn't get into the plot at all. I liked all the other movies. This one seemed to be lacking propose. Action wasn't even that great.

Has anyone see the Accountant? I might pick that one up later this week.
stitch1 is offline  
post #5264 of 7903 Old 02-27-2017, 07:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ladeback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 2,440
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1328 Post(s)
Liked: 469
Send a message via MSN to Ladeback
Quote:
Originally Posted by stitch1 View Post
Yeah, I will agree it was a fun rental. But the more I think about that movie the more I don't like it. But the audio and video is pretty top notch.

We watched even worse movies this weekend. Suicide Squad and the new Jason Bourne. Suicide Squad seemed like they made 4 or 5 different movies and edited it into the one we got. I think it could have been a great movie but that plot was just dumb. They all have their own special abilities but none of them were really needed for the task they were asked to do. On the other hand, if we could see a Harley and Joker movie based off what we saw in the flashbacks I would be all in on that.

Bourne was just bad. I couldn't get into the plot at all. I liked all the other movies. This one seemed to be lacking propose. Action wasn't even that great.

Has anyone see the Accountant? I might pick that one up later this week.
My wife and I seen the Accountant in the Dolby Cinema at Berrywoods 24 when it came out and liked it a lot. Starts out kind of slow, but got going and we liked it a lot. Worth a rental.
stitch1 likes this.
Ladeback is offline  
post #5265 of 7903 Old 02-27-2017, 07:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
DreamWarrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Dirty South Jersey
Posts: 2,099
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 940 Post(s)
Liked: 540
Thanks for all the info guys! I have to get my mom and wife out there to see everything and maybe they'll start loving the idea as much as I do.
DreamWarrior is offline  
post #5266 of 7903 Old 02-27-2017, 09:09 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 10,073
Mentioned: 672 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3513 Post(s)
Liked: 3196
Quote:
Originally Posted by stitch1 View Post
Yeah, I will agree it was a fun rental. But the more I think about that movie the more I don't like it. But the audio and video is pretty top notch.

We watched even worse movies this weekend. Suicide Squad and the new Jason Bourne. Suicide Squad seemed like they made 4 or 5 different movies and edited it into the one we got. I think it could have been a great movie but that plot was just dumb. They all have their own special abilities but none of them were really needed for the task they were asked to do. On the other hand, if we could see a Harley and Joker movie based off what we saw in the flashbacks I would be all in on that.

Bourne was just bad. I couldn't get into the plot at all. I liked all the other movies. This one seemed to be lacking propose. Action wasn't even that great.

Has anyone see the Accountant? I might pick that one up later this week.
It's hard to enjoy the action in a movie like this when you compare it to the John Wick movies. The shaky camera in Jason Bourne is bad even in non action scenes, but almost impossible to watch during the action. When are movie makers going to start to understand that just because you shake the camera it does NOT add to the suspense of the viewers. It just annoys them.
carp is online now  
post #5267 of 7903 Old 02-27-2017, 09:11 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 10,073
Mentioned: 672 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3513 Post(s)
Liked: 3196
Oh yeah, and obvioulsy they shake the camera and change camera's 10 times per second during a fight to hide how fake the fight would look if you were allowed to actually, you know, watch it.

Kind of like this if you haven't seen it. So bad.


carp is online now  
post #5268 of 7903 Old 02-27-2017, 10:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
stitch1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Missouri
Posts: 1,630
Mentioned: 135 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Hahaha. Agreed 100%!
stitch1 is offline  
post #5269 of 7903 Old 02-28-2017, 04:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Stoked21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Kansas City (Lenexa)
Posts: 2,287
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1526 Post(s)
Liked: 932
So officially liquidating my HT before my move. EVERYTHING is for sale.
Speakers, Dirac 88A, PJ, Screen, amps, subs, Prepro, chairs, riser, decorations (film cells, posters, etc), speaker stands, GIK acoustic treatments.
It's going to take a while for me to post everything, but I figured I'd hit some big items here now.

As you all know, I started my theater build in late Nov 2015 and finished in March 2016. So everything is about 10-16 months old.
I'm willing to ship but prefer not to on speakers cus 1) shipping won't be cheap and 2) I would have to box and pack everything. We can negotiate on that.

As for everything else, I have maintained original boxes and can easily ship in them.

JTR S8 (Pair): $1300 local
JTR S8LP (Pair): $1300 local
JTR Slant8 LP (2 pairs): $1300/pair local
JTR 228HT (3 new models): $900 each local
JTR Cap 1400 (2 each): $1300 each local
JVC RS400 with brand new extra bulb: $2500 + Ship.
miniDSP Dirac DDRC88A with bass mgmt (2 each): $750 plus ship each
Crown XLS1500 amps (9 each): $225 each plus ship
Marantz AV7702mkII: $1100 plus ship
Seymour UF 130"W 2.35 6 piece frame screen: $1000 local
Panamax M5400-PM: $350 plus ship
DIY sealed Dayton UM18-22 sub: $200
Two ported, white, dual Infinity 1262W with Yung 300W Class D plate amps: $200 each local

More to come. PM me if interested in anything. Those local, just send me a text/call. All available to go right now.
If you want to see pics, please hit my build thread in signature....As many of you can attest, everything in working order.

Marantz NR1607, Crown XLS1500 (2 in bridge mode for mains)
JTR 210RT, JTR Cap S2
Samsung 78” Curved LED 4K (KU7500)
Oppo UDP-203 UHD HDR BD player, AppleTV Gen4, Synology DS216play
STOKED Home Theater Build

Last edited by Stoked21; 03-02-2017 at 03:33 PM.
Stoked21 is offline  
post #5270 of 7903 Old 03-01-2017, 02:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
chirpie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Olathe, Kansas
Posts: 4,226
Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked: 564
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
Oh yeah, and obvioulsy they shake the camera and change camera's 10 times per second during a fight to hide how fake the fight would look if you were allowed to actually, you know, watch it.

Kind of like this if you haven't seen it. So bad.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCKhktcbfQM
There's an 'extended cut' of that which is pretty funny. ^_^

That's why I always preferred stuff like the hospital shootout in Hard Boiled or even Heat's shootout where there's occasional jerk cuts but most of the time it's a clear well established frame.
chirpie is offline  
post #5271 of 7903 Old 03-02-2017, 07:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ladeback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 2,440
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1328 Post(s)
Liked: 469
Send a message via MSN to Ladeback
Anyone else going to see Logan at the Dolby Cinema at Berrywoods this weekend? The wife me I are going Saturday at 7:45.

Klipsch KPS-400’s FR/FL with built in 15” 300 watt side firing subs, RC-7 Center, RS-3 Surrounds.
Integra DHC-60.5, 5- Marantz MA700 Mono Blocks, Pioneer DV-F727 301 Disk DVD CD Changer, Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/DVD/CD Player, Sony PS3.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...ck-cinema.html
Ladeback is offline  
post #5272 of 7903 Old 03-03-2017, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Archaea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 11,046
Mentioned: 604 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3772 Post(s)
Liked: 3556
Derek,
@Stoked21 ,

you were looking for an inexpensive projector to use as a placeholder while selling your house?

This one might fit the bill?

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/199-fr...ens-199-a.html

Archaea's 9.8.4 Home Theater Room
(13) JBL CBT 70j-1 | Denon x7200wa | Sherbourn PA 7-350 amplifier | (8) Ultimax 18" sealed subwoofers | (4) iNuke DSP 6000 amplifiers | (4) MB Quart 12" subwoofers mounted direct mounted to Berkline theater chairs BOSS style | Epson 5040UB Projector | Jamestown 144" acoustic transparent 2.35:1 screen w/ Seymour XD fabric
Archaea is online now  
post #5273 of 7903 Old 03-04-2017, 05:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Archaea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 11,046
Mentioned: 604 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3772 Post(s)
Liked: 3556
Found out a coworker has a forum handle here and is building up his home theater.

@chbrandt .

Adding him to the KC local crew.

Also is anyone interested in hosting the March movie night? Consider if you'll host an upcoming month this year so I can fill out the schedule in post 1. I realize some of the hosts are probably somewhat spent from the big crawl last month (I am, I've been sick mostly since the day after the crawl -- I can't seem to shake a long running lousy cold)

I know Jeff would appreciate the 212HT and 4000ULF getting a bit more demo time in a group setting before they have to go back home. Is anyone interested in demoing them for the other locals in their home. (Sorry, You'll have to be a fairly well known local to take possession of them since this is like $10g in gear.)
Jeff Permanian and chbrandt like this.

Archaea's 9.8.4 Home Theater Room
(13) JBL CBT 70j-1 | Denon x7200wa | Sherbourn PA 7-350 amplifier | (8) Ultimax 18" sealed subwoofers | (4) iNuke DSP 6000 amplifiers | (4) MB Quart 12" subwoofers mounted direct mounted to Berkline theater chairs BOSS style | Epson 5040UB Projector | Jamestown 144" acoustic transparent 2.35:1 screen w/ Seymour XD fabric

Last edited by Archaea; 03-04-2017 at 05:16 AM.
Archaea is online now  
post #5274 of 7903 Old 03-04-2017, 06:28 AM
Member
 
gsmotherman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Olathe, KS
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Encouraging news for those of us who have abused our ears...

http://www.sciencefriday.com/segment...-hearing-loss/
chirpie likes this.
gsmotherman is offline  
post #5275 of 7903 Old 03-04-2017, 06:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ladeback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 2,440
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1328 Post(s)
Liked: 469
Send a message via MSN to Ladeback
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsmotherman View Post
Encouraging news for those of us who have abused our ears...

http://www.sciencefriday.com/segment...-hearing-loss/
My hearing was damaged long before I heard the 4000 a few weeks ago. I worked concerts in the mid 80, have worked around heavy equipment and add age in there so my ears aren't the best. The pressure of the 4000 got me more then the sound and I hear lows better then highs for some reason.

I wish my theater was in better shape so could host a movie day, but I am in the process of making it bigger I think. Maybe toward the end of the year it might be ready.

Klipsch KPS-400’s FR/FL with built in 15” 300 watt side firing subs, RC-7 Center, RS-3 Surrounds.
Integra DHC-60.5, 5- Marantz MA700 Mono Blocks, Pioneer DV-F727 301 Disk DVD CD Changer, Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/DVD/CD Player, Sony PS3.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...ck-cinema.html
Ladeback is offline  
post #5276 of 7903 Old 03-04-2017, 06:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Randy Bessinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,876
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Found out a coworker has a forum handle here and is building up his home theater.

@chbrandt .

Adding him to the KC local crew.

Also is anyone interested in hosting the March movie night? Consider if you'll host an upcoming month this year so I can fill out the schedule in post 1. I realize some of the hosts are probably somewhat spent from the big crawl last month (I am, I've been sick mostly since the day after the crawl -- I can't seem to shake a long running lousy cold)

I know Jeff would appreciate the 212HT and 4000ULF getting a bit more demo time in a group setting before they have to go back home. Is anyone interested in demoing them for the other locals in their home. (Sorry, You'll have to be a fairly well known local to take possession of them since this is like $10g in gear.)
My wife is going on a "girls trip" June 10-17th so put me down for June and one of those two weekends. Also, any locals interested in the audio show Axpona April 21-23 in Chicago? Mark, Jeff, and others will be demoing. Jeff is also doing the sound for the musical part of the shows.

Last edited by Randy Bessinger; 03-04-2017 at 07:21 AM.
Randy Bessinger is offline  
post #5277 of 7903 Old 03-04-2017, 08:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
desertdome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Blair, NE
Posts: 3,786
Mentioned: 313 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1527 Post(s)
Liked: 1856
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Bessinger View Post
My wife is going on a "girls trip" June 10-17th so put me down for June and one of those two weekends. Also, any locals interested in the audio show Axpona April 21-23 in Chicago? Mark, Jeff, and others will be demoing. Jeff is also doing the sound for the musical part of the shows.
JVC is providing me their 4K laser DLA-RS4500 to demo in the JTR room and Chris Seymour is bringing a Seymour Screen Excellence screen that is 180" wide. This is in addition to the 7 JTR 215RT's powered by a pair of Lab Gruppen FP10000Q.

If anyone has any ideas setting up the room or would like to loan some sort of theater decoration, please PM me. I'll be back in KC probably March 18-19 to pick up the Cap 4000ULF. The room itself is 59 x 32 x 13 so we have some space to work with. I thought it would be cool to feel like a theater, but not sure on how to implement easily. We could have a lobby with arcade, ticket booth, candy, and then the main "theater" area.
Archaea and stitch1 like this.

Ponderosa Theater
High Impact AV
- ISF Level III Video Calibrator, THX-HAA HT3 Audio Designer/Calibrator
desertdome is offline  
post #5278 of 7903 Old 03-05-2017, 01:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
chirpie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Olathe, Kansas
Posts: 4,226
Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked: 564
Put me down for April hosting movie night. I have zero clue what movie to show though. lol.
stitch1 likes this.
chirpie is offline  
post #5279 of 7903 Old 03-05-2017, 02:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ChldsPlay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Olathe, KS
Posts: 2,093
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1115 Post(s)
Liked: 631
I think I could do May (or maybe a 2nd April ine at the end of the month). I need to do one before baby comes.

The Hodor Theater - Now with Atmos
Projector - JVC D-ILA NX7/Panasonic PT-AE8000U; Receiver - Yamaha Adventage A3050
LCR speakers - JTR Noesis 228 HT (3); Surr./Back - Klipsch Pro Cinema KPT-8000M (4)
Atmos In-ceiling - Niles DS8HD (4); Subs - Passive JTR Captivator Pro (2)
ChldsPlay is online now  
post #5280 of 7903 Old 03-05-2017, 02:53 PM
Senior Member
 
cvinfig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: KCMO
Posts: 482
Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 176
If anyone wants to come over to hear the JTR 212 HTs, let me know.
Archaea and Jeff Permanian like this.
cvinfig is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Area Home Theater Meets

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off